“Pretty spectacular in London”

Corinthia Hotel London
Ranked #16 of 1,072 Hotels in London
Reviewed 7 October 2012

Had the great good fortune to stay at the Corinthia for two nights last week and wow! This brings a whole new level to the London hotel scene. Stayed in an executive room which was enormous and incredibly well appointed with details and modcons. Everything about the hotel is done well. It is indeed, a large hotel with an equally large and magnificent lobby where, I confess, lI got lost on more than one occasion while trying to find the correct elevator bank for my room.

My room - 217 - had a little foyer/dressing area and separate bedroom. Impressive size and attention to detail. Open closet, light comes on. Close closet, light goes off. Little things like that. Bathroom was pretty phenomenal, too. Great big bathtub and even bigger shower. Even a TV sunk into the wall so one can watch while one bathes. Everything thought through.

Ate in both restaurants and food so so so good. And the restaurants are so heavenly beautiful, all working off a similar thematic as the amazing Baccarat chandelier in the lobby - and great big glass orb hanging in the Italian restaurant. Had a proper English Sunday Lunch with roast beef and yorkshire pudding that was the best meal of the entire trip. Great fun bar, as well, with a bar that is not only designed to look like a piano, but it plays, too! Too good! And great cocktails - just a great place to hang out after dinner.

The Corinthia's location is pretty fabulous, as well. There is so much to do around the area - Trafalgar Square is a 5-min walk, as is the London Eye.

If you are looking for event space, Corinthia has some stunning ballrooms along with small dining and private areas that will spoil anyone. The business center and extremely efficient floor of small conference rooms makes for a really nice meeting and/or conference experience. And the penthouses!!! All with lofts and private terraces. We saw the music-themed penthouse with its beautiful fireplace, grand piano and cool record player (records!) and didn't want to leave.

I never got the opportunity to use the spa, but I had a quick tour and it is truly astonishingly well done and beautiful. It is worth spending a day, minimum. The pool is pretty impressive. The gym is huge and has all the newest equipment.

It is easy to see why there is such a buzz about the Corinthia. It is really pretty spectacular.

Room Tip: I saw several of the room categories, including the entry level rooms, which are spectacular in thei...
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank Battered Orange S
MatthewDixon, General Manager at Corinthia Hotel London, responded to this reviewResponded 29 October 2012

I would like to thank you for your kind comments following your stay with us at Corinthia Hotel London. We aim to redefine luxury not only with the interiors of the hotel, but also in the service we provide. The hotel has been designed for the 21st century traveller with the latest technology, a total wellness concept at ESPA Life at Corinthia, flexible check in and out policy, 24 hour gym access, free Wi-Fi, in house Daniel Galvin at Corinthia salon and excellent transport links. The entirely bespoke interiors of the hotel can be attributed to GA Design International and display the perfect combination of traditional grandeur with modern freshness. Our rooms are amongst the largest in the London luxury market and include all the small touches of luxury allowing guests to relax in their comfortable surroundings.

We have two restaurants in the hotel – The Northall and Massimo Restaurant and Oyster Bar. The Northall serves seasonal British cuisine made from local produce sourced from artisan suppliers from around the British Isles. Our menus change regularly, depending on the time of year, creating opportunities to sample different produce. We have an excellent Sunday Roast and I am glad to hear you thought it was the best meal of your entire trip. Massimo Restaurant and Oyster Bar offers Mediterranean cuisine and is set within a striking venue designed by David Collins. Prosecco and Oysters at the bar is the perfect way to begin your evening and I hope you were able to try this. Bassoon Bar is our destination bar and serves some excellent cocktails made by our expert mixologists. This intimate space is a wonderful end to the evening with live piano performances.

On our mezzanine floor we have a business centre comprising of 6 meeting rooms accompanied by complimentary use of our printing facilities. The Ballroom and Courtroom are magnificent settings for events and can be set up into a variety of styles. The seven two-storey penthouses are set with the turrets of the building and are individually designed, boasting breath taking views across London. I hope you managed to see the London eye from the Musicians terrace.

ESPA Life at Corinthia is definitely well worth visiting. Our Thermal Floor is complimentary to all our guests and includes facilities such as a vitality pool, glass amphitheatre sauna, steam room, ice fountain, heated marble loungers and a swimming pool. We also have an extensive repertoire of treatments for both men and women and I highly recommend booking one before you arrive. I very much hope you will return to the hotel in the not too distant future.

There are newer reviews for Corinthia Hotel London

Reviewed 6 October 2012

This hotel is the BEST place to stay in all of London!!! The staff is friendly, accommodating and amazing! Our room was spotless and just gorgeous, and the turn service with chocolates was an added plus for sure! The location is spectacular and centrally located.

While on vacation with my husband and another couple, the husband of the other couple had a heart attack. The manager and all of concierge bent over backwards to assist with our other travel plans and helped extend our stay at new home away from home. The Corinthia staff sent them flowers and a fruit basket. What other hotel does that?

Although I did not get a massage, I did go to the spa and used the hot tub. As a hotel guest was free to use the amenities. There are three hot stone chaises which were wonderful. The steam room was unbelievable and the set up for the sauna was very nice!!!

I am back home now in the States, but I will never forget my magical time here at the Corinthia. Hopefully one day I can return to London and I will only stay here!!

Room Tip: All the rooms are great but we upgraded to a suite and loved it!!
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Maggiemoolover
MatthewDixon, General Manager at Corinthia Hotel London, responded to this reviewResponded 23 October 2012

I am most thankful for your kind comments regarding your stay with us at Corinthia Hotel London. We were incredibly sorry your friend had suffered from a heart attack and we did our utmost best to ensure we provided the best care. I appreciate this was a particularly stressful time for you all and I am pleased we managed to ease the situation.

I was delighted you had the opportunity to use our spa facilities and relax. Our Thermal Floor is complimentary to all our guests and includes facilities such as a vitality pool, steam room, ice fountain, heated marble lounger, swimming pool and a glass amphitheatre sauna. We very much hope you and your friends will return to the hotel on your next visit to London.

Reviewed 6 October 2012

Had the fortune to stay at the Corinthia for a recent conference. Was joined by my better half and it is safe to say we were both blown away by the sheer opulence, pretty impressive since the night before I had stayed at The Savoy.

The best way to describe the hotel is too imagine the very best of Las Vegas just on a slight smaller scale.

Our room was fantastic - mood lighting, walk in closet, three chairs, footstool, big TV, media centre. TV at the end of the bath. Walk in shower with rainfall type shower head built in to the ceiling. The best ESPA smellys.

All the staff were friendly and courteous (slight language problem asking a chambermaid for an iron but easily overlooked given the high standards throughout).

The only niggles would be the toilets being called 'restrooms' - we are in London not the USA - and struggling to find a toilet on the ground floor and having to catch a lift to the lower ground floor (might just not have found them on the ground floor).

Excellent location, just 5 minutes walk from Trafalgar Square.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank ScottMGee

I am delighted to learn you found Corinthia Hotel London to be such a unique experience. Opened in April 2011, the hotel has been designed for 21st century travellers, equipped with the latest technology and comforts. GA Design International is responsible for the restoration of the hotel creating an elegant interior that displays both contemporary and traditional features. We pride ourselves in offering a friendly and welcoming service and I hope that despite the language barrier you encountered, you were looked well. Our central location is ideal for those visiting on business or leisure, providing easy access to a variety of locations across London. I do hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back again in the near future.

Reviewed 6 October 2012

We went to the Corinthia last night for dinner in the Massimo restaurant as we'd found a deal with Travelzoo a couple of months ago and finally got round to going last night. I wish we'd gone sooner! Our waiter (Daniel from Corsica) was absolutely wonderful, friendly, attentive and knowledgeable about the menu, his recommendations were spot on. The food was very good, particularly my husband's tuna starter, and they also do my favourite thing ever - courgette flowers. The courgette flowers are part of a couple of dishes but I asked if I could have some as a side dish and the chef was happy to oblige so I got to scoff a whole bowl of them, lush. The only downside to Massimo is the walk to the toilet! It's miles away on the other side of the hotel lobby as there's only one on the whole of the ground floor.

Fortunately my hike to the loo meant I got to have a good look around the lobby area and we continued the exploring after dinner with a drink in the Northall bar. The setting for this grand bar couldn't be better with lots of gold, marble and shiny mirrors. Our cocktails were very well made but the service was slow and half of the bar seemed to be given over to storing the dirty glasses from the adjacent restaurant so, after one drink, we moved through to the Bassoon bar.

I agree with a previous reviewer as the Bassoon bar may well be one of the best cocktail bars in London, with the best staff. The Czech barman there was absolutely brilliant, we had seats facing the bar and were transfixed by the creations he was coming up with. This meant that each time a new, exciting looking drink was made for someone else we had to accost a waiter and ask 'what's that??' then one thing led to another and I just had to order it...... The bar is lovely, the music is perfect cocktail bar style and the piano player was happy to oblige my requests.

We had another good nose round the very grand lobby before we left, the lobby lounge is a great idea with another simple bar area and an incredible, huge chandelier. It was fairly late when we left and chucking it down with rain so we waited in some comfy chairs whilst the lovely doormen hailed us a cab. In the cab on the way home our cabbie said he always liked picking up from the Corinthia as the doormen were always really friendly and polite (not like at some other fancy hotels apparently!) and I think that's the real difference at the Corinthia. It's obviously a grand, 5* hotel with great restaurants and lovely bars, but what sets it above other hotels is its consistently excellent staff. Can't wait to go back!!

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple

I am most thankful for your kind comments regarding your visit to our Massimo Restaurant and Oyster Bar. We have some fantastic offers available in our restaurants, which allow new visitors to explore the hotel. Massimo is our Mediterranean restaurant situated within a spectacular setting designed by David Collins. The hotel undertook a major restoration to create an impressive interior and Massimo’s was a huge part of this.

We have a wonderful team in the restaurant who are incredibly knowledgeable about our ingredients and dishes. I was delighted to learn you were well looked after by Daniel, with whom I have since shared your kind comments. We aim to provide a personalised service for all our guests, and so I am glad you enjoyed your courgette flowers.

The Northall Bar has a wonderfully relaxed atmosphere and is the perfect place to pop into after work for a casual drink. However I am sorry to hear that you found the service to be slow and not as attentive as it should have been. It is only with your feedback that we are able to improve the product and service we provide. I am pleased you explored the hotel and soon found the intimate setting of Bassoon Bar. Our team of expert mixologists are very passionate about cocktails and they take great care and pride in producing amazingly presented and tasting drinks. Almost every evening we have musicians performing, creating a welcoming atmosphere for passing guests.

The Lobby Lounge is located in the heart of the hotel, basking under our magnificent crystal chandelier where our guests choose to relax, read a paper, work, enjoy a light lunch, afternoon tea or simply unwind and have an evening drink. We continually strive to provide the best service possible, going above and beyond our guests’ expectations. Our personalised service means we get to know our guests and endeavour to create the most memorable experience for them. I very much hope you will return to this grand 21st century hotel.

Reviewed 5 October 2012 via mobile

Stayed here about 6 times now. I love it. The bassoon bar is the best cocktail bar in London Breakfast excellent. It is expensive but worth it. The bathrooms are beautiful The only thing I don't like are the chocolates in the room. Great quality but just too rich. I think I may be a hethan I just love cadbury

• Stayed: September 2012
1  Thank Derbysfarmer

I am delighted to hear that you have been a regular guest with us at Corinthia Hotel London. We have some of the largest rooms in London’s largest luxury market, with spacious en suite bathrooms. Our Bassoon Bar is fast becoming a destination bar with our expert mixologists serving fantastic seasonal cocktails, whilst our guests unwind to the soothing atmosphere.

Reviewed 3 October 2012

I spent 2 nights for a conference at the Corinthia and found it excellent. Let's start with the only negative: service at the bar was lousy. For the rest, everything was really great. Reception was efficient and friendly (and english speaking...), staff in the hotel asked if they could help when i was looking for the bathrooms (in other hotels they simply ignore you), restaurant food at Massimo was good, service ok, the rooms are actually rather large for London and I liked the design (not too much bling-bling, practical, quite air conditioning, super large bathroom with super large bathtub). Spa and fitness are simply fabulous with really cool design. There is also a pool (so if I want to be a pain i could say that it could be a bit longer...). Conclusion: a really great place in London...if you are ready to pay the expensive price

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank swissguest
MatthewDixon, General Manager at Corinthia Hotel London, responded to this reviewResponded 15 October 2012

Thank you for your wonderful review of Corinthia Hotel London. We aim to provide the best service possible, going above and beyond our guests’ expectations. The hotel has been respectfully regenerated to create an entirely bespoke design which combines traditional grandeur with modern freshness. Our rooms are some of the largest in London’s luxury market, with an average size of 45m2. Our magnificent spa, ESPA Life at Corinthia cover four floors and offers an extensive repertoire of treatments for men and women. Our Thermal floor is complimentary to all our guests and it contains a vitality pool, glass amphitheatre sauna, steam room, ice fountain, heated marble beds and a swimming pool. I am very sorry to hear that our service in the bar disappointing, however I hope that when you return you will try our other restaurant The Northall, which serves British cuisine.

Reviewed 2 October 2012

We got a really good deal and stayed at this hotel last January.Everything at the Corinthia js new and this is what we really liked since it is unusual for London.Rooms are specious,bathrooms are huge (there is even a TV in the bathroom) and service is great.We would go back to this hotel.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple

I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay last January. We have some wonderful offers available on our website and they are well worth booking. We have some of the largest rooms in the London luxury market and they are all equipped with the latest technology. The TVs at the foot of the bath are very popular and we often receive comments from our guests. I hope you will return to the hotel soon.