“Best Stay in London”

Ranked #16 of 1,067 Hotels in London
New York City, New York
“Best Stay in London”
Reviewed 11 February 2014

The Corinthia is located in an old government building, with immediate access to Charing Cross station, the Enbankment bridge for a breath taking view of the River/Big Ben/London Eye, and a 5 minute walk to Trafalgar Square. Since it only just opened in 2011, everything is spanking new.

Unlike a lot of hotels in London, the lobby at the Corinthia is full of light. Immediately I was greeted with a large table of flowers and a beautiful chandelier. Never really one for those gigantic bouquets, I thought having the flowers in multiple smaller vases were a nice modern touch. The lobby lounge is open and airy, thanks to the super high ceiling and modern decor. You can get afternoon tea here or casual bites. There’s an outdoor area if you prefer that.

I had a Deluxe Junior Suite, a large space of 700 sq ft. There’s an informal foyer leading into the office, which is separated from the bedroom (with a door). The office has a flat screen TV, mini bar, Nespresso machine and a large working desk. Perfect if you want to get some work done without disturbing whoever is in the bedroom.

The bedroom is a large open space, which you won’t find in too many London hotels since they tend to be smaller and more traditional in structure. The room features a gorgeous dark wood floor, a king size bed, LED tv, a sitting area, a cute Juliette balcony that overlooks the courtyard and a large walk-in closet with motion sensor lights. Marble bathroom has a relaxing soaking tub with built-in TV, tropical rain shower and luxurious bath products from their spa.

(When you book your room online, in addition to room photos, you can also see a floorplan and the actual size of the room. A feature I personally find helpful because hotels in Europe tend to have smaller rooms compare to the US)

Speaking of, I wasted no time to check out the spa and gym. The gym is 24 hours, but you do need to access it from the spa elevator after 10PM, with your room keycard. What I really liked about the gym was it had a fridge stocked with water and fresh oranges, an extremely rare find in London hotels.

The next day I headed to the spa, which spans over four floors: the spa, the thermal spa with heated pool, the gym and the changing rooms.The reception area is beautiful with plush seating and refreshments. There’s a small dining room if you want to eat. My therapist took me to the changing room, which had fireplace and relaxation area, a steam room, a sauna, a large shower room and of course, individual private ones. The individual massage room is also equipped with a relaxation area and a plush shower. My massage was so good I actually fell asleep.

I had breakfast every morning at the North Hall restaurant, which was MASSIVE. It spans over 3 huge rooms (I had no idea ‘til I was sat in different rooms every morning). The breakfast buffet was probably the best I’ve had in London. A huge variety of breakfast pastries, fresh juice, fruits and hot foods. It’s not cheap at 30 pounds a person (but this is where the Amex FHR comes in handy, complimentary! but in all honesty, I would pay 30 pounds to eat here every morning if I lived close enough), and there’s the option of ordering a la carte if you prefer that.

However, what really made my stay at the Corinthia hotel was the service. Someone walked me to my room, checked in with me twice during breakfast and she was also the one that sent me off at the end; the flowers in my room were changed everyday; I never had to wait more than 5 minutes for any in-room services; one evening I had complained about slow internet, which was no fault of the hotel (just busy aka slower on weekends). The hotel manager personally came out and made sure I wasn’t unhappy with my stay because of it. Of course not! I couldn’t be happier with my stay at the Corinthia and would absolutely recommend this fine hotel to anyone that is looking for a five star experience in London. I’m already plotting my next stay!

Ps, one thing that made a big impression on me was my welcome card. Usually I would get a generic typed letter, with the manager’s signature. But my note at the Corinthia was 100% written by hand. It’s the little things that matters most.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank JJD82
MatthewDixon, General Manager at Corinthia Hotel London, responded to this review, 12 March 2014
Thank you for taking the time to post an extensive review of your stay at Corinthia Hotel London. We really enjoyed reading the detail, which conveyed the pleasure of your stay. We are delighted that you managed to experience so many of the excellent facilities the hotel has to offer, especially our award-winning ESPA Life at Corinthia spa, with twenty-four hour access to the Next Generation gym, a great boon for travellers who want to keep in their own time zone. The entrance to the hotel makes a magnificent first impression, especially the light-flooded Lobby Lounge with the iconic Baccarat chandelier. The buffet breakfast in The Northall has a wide variety of dishes to please every palate, from the healthy fruit, nuts, and cereals to a classic Full English, and now we offer Dim Sum as part of the selection too. Our Corinthia Hotel London website details all of the room types, and online booking couldn’t be simpler, just click the desired room and number of nights, or alternatively you can email our Reservations Department directly. We are always most pleased to read that our guests experienced exemplary customer service, we love to hear that the staff went above and beyond to exceed all of our client’s expectations, and in this instance it certainly sounds like they did. We very much appreciate you kind comments and compliments and look forward to welcoming you as a regular guest on many stays to come.

Kind Regards, Matthew Dixon, General Manager.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (452)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Deal, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 February 2014

This hotel is stunning - probably one of the most beautiful hotels in London. But at a minimum of £400 per night, I was flabbergasted when asked to pay £25 for my morning swim. The reason I was given? ESPA is independent of the hotel. Well of course it is - most top hotels use ESPA, Elemis or some other established spa brand. But they do not charge hotel guests for use of their pools. If ESPA at Gleneagles don't charge then ESPA at Corinthia shouldn't charge either. If ESPA wants money from each guest that uses their pool then they should take this up with Corinthia and collect the money from them instead.

I swim every morning and every evening. My stay was for 4 nights. If my wife had been with me then I would have had £400 of swimming charges added to my bill. Completely outrageous. I declined the offer to pay £25 for 3 hours maximum in the pool and went to a nearby gym instead. One of the main reasons I chose the Corinthia was for it's thermal floor. I left the hotel feeling duped as the policy is nowhere to be seen on their website - nor is it mentioned on check-in. If Corinthia wants to be considered one of the finest hotels in London then it really must address this pay-as-you-swim charge. This is a 5-star hotel - not an easyjet flight.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
10 Thank Roryq M
Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your stay at Corinthia Hotel London. We value every guest’s feedback as an opportunity to review and improve our standards of service. I am very disappointed that in this instance we failed to exceed your expectations. Please may I ask you to contact me personally, so that I may have the opportunity to restore your faith in Corinthia London and respond to you directly.

Copenhagen, Denmark
Reviewed 10 February 2014

Classic London luxury, location is great both for business (between West end and the City), concierge service and front desk very helpful, SPA and especially the various pools, sauna etc very good. Roomservice menu good and service very dependable, which is great on a business trip. All in all my favourite hotel for business stays, but restrictive policy re children in the pool, keep me from bringing my family here

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Per2100
MatthewDixon, General Manager at Corinthia Hotel London, responded to this review, 12 February 2014
Thank you for posting a review of your stay at Corinthia Hotel London. The hotel is great for both a business or family stay with dedicated amenities to meet the needs of both parties. For the business traveller there is an adjacent transport hub for quick and easy access around the city, a Business Centre on the Mezzanine Floor, the fastest and complimentary 1Gb Wi-Fi, and a pre-bookable flexible check-in policy; for families we offer welcome gifts on arrival to keep your children amused during their stay, specific pool times both in the morning and afternoon so that guests with children can enjoy a swim, and guests without can enjoy some relaxation time, both of our international restaurants have children’s specially created menus, and at turndown they may find a Battersea Dogs & Cats Home cuddly toy. We very much hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you and your family to Corinthia London on your next visit.

Kind regards, Matthew Dixon, General Manager.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 February 2014

We stayed in this lovely hotel during a Business Conference. The staff are all very friendly and most helpful at all times. Our bedroom was very comfortable but the light switches are too complicated for someone my age although I expect a teenager would master them in seconds! Watching the Olympics on the television in the BATH was a novelty! On arrival our luggage was whisked away and we were told it would be delivered to our room. When we returned to our room after a couple of hours we discovered that one of the cases in our room was not ours and one of ours was missing. Luckily ours was discovered in the reception fairly quickly but this was not the case for one of the others in our party who had to go and rent a dinner jacket as his case which contained his clothes for the evening had completely disappeared....We also had trouble trying to contact the Spa on the phone as we were cut off twice after asking the hotel operator to be put through. In the restaurant the wine list is massive but don't expect all the wines on the list to be available and don't expect the years which are printed on the list to be correct as they aren't! The delightful waiter kept coming back to our table to apologise that the wine I'd ordered was either not in stock or from the wrong year! You may think that I'm being harsh but as this hotel is one of the most expensive in London, I do feel that it should make more effort to get the little things right.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Richard b
Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your stay at Corinthia Hotel London. I am very disappointed that in this instance we failed to exceed your expectations and our own normally exemplary standards. Your review has been forwarded to the Hotel Manager, who is addressing all of the relevant departments. Please may I ask that you contact me directly, so that I may respond to you personally and restore your faith in Corinthia Hotel London.

Kind regards, Matthew Dixon, General Manager.
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 February 2014 via mobile

Very luxurious hotel, comfortable and elegant.

Brilliant location for city centre London, I just about scraped this one through the work expenses policy.

Lovely spacious rooms, plenty of room for my few days worth of stuff.

Made use of the spa facilities, although to be honest the en-suite with rain shower and deep bath was an experience in itself.

Thought the breakfast menu was steepish so we ate elsewhere.

Will be making a point of booking here again though if I get the chance.

Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Thank you for posting a review of your stay at Corinthia Hotel London. We are very pleased that you chose Corinthia London to base your business trip, especially as the hotel has quick and easy access to the City from the adjacent Embankment tube station or just minutes by taxi. The hotel also has many dedicated amenities to meet the needs of the business traveller, including the fastest and complimentary 1Gb Wi-Fi throughout the hotel, a Business Centre on the Mezzanine Floor to meet all your administrative needs, international power hubs in the bedrooms, and multi-channel stations on Loewe flat screen TVs in all the bedrooms. We are delighted that you managed to fit is some relaxation time in our award-winning ESPA Life at Corinthia spa, and for the business traveller working through all the time zones includes a twenty-four hour access state-of-the-art gym. We very much look forward to welcoming you on your return visit to London.

Fremont, California
Reviewed 9 February 2014

Spent a week in this hotel when I was on business trip to London. Service was excellent. The daily breakfast was one of the best. Fresh blackberries, blueberries, raspberries and strawberries every day was a real treat. You can not beat the location. In one evening I was able to walk to Big Ben, London Eye and Trafalgar Square. The shower at the bat room is more like a water fall, never seen such a good water pressure any where. The staff were super nice and went out of their way to make you comfortable. The breakfast staff even remembered my favorite location to sit every day.

I had a problem with the bed sheets though. The comforter is embedded in the sheet. I was sweating in the middle of night but there is no way to choose the layers. This is some thing that they can improve.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank 349er
Thank you for posting a review of your stay at Corinthia Hotel London. The hotel is ideally suited for the business traveller, offering many dedicated amenities to meet their needs, including the fastest complimentary 1Gb Wi-Fi, a Business Centre, a pre-bookable flexible check-in policy, and an adjacent transport hub for quick and easy access across the city. The buffet breakfast in The Northall offers a wide selection of dishes to suit every palate, from the fresh fruits and berries to a Full English. All of the rooms have an ensuite underfloor heated marble bathroom with separate rain shower as standard. We are always most pleased to read great feedback regarding exemplary customer service, especially as we pride ourselves on our Craftsmanship of Care. We appreciate your comments regarding the bed sheets, on your next visit please advise Housekeeping, who would be delighted to make up your bed with a separate top sheet. We very much look forward to welcoming you on your next visit to London and to breakfast at your favourite seat in The Northall.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 February 2014

Our third stay here, this time for my wife's birthday and although it was another great getaway, it wasn't the same as our previous stays.

The hotel provide great service as usual, with friendly and helpful staff. The room was clean and comfy so no faults there. All the perks like tea/coffee machine, hairdryer, espa shampoo/conditioner, umbrella etc. The location of the hotel is great for visiting the sites London city has to offer, with short walk to the National Gallery, Trafalgar Sq, Leicester Sq, Covent Garden.

The only fault this time was the change to the use of the thermal pools underneath. Previously, this use to be included with the room but has since changed to £25 per person. The main reason for staying there was to provide the wife with a relaxing stay, so use of the spa facilities was the main reason for booking the room. Unfortunately there wasn't any mention of the cost during the booking or checking in phase, and we were only informed about it once we were down there in our trunks ready for a swim. The facilities are still great but it would have been nice to be informed earlier, so please keep this in mind if you plan on using the spa.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Dezza1982
Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your stay at Corinthia Hotel London. We are very pleased that you enjoyed your stay and experienced exemplary service from the Corinthia London team. We always enjoy welcoming and hearing constructive feedback from our regular guest, your comments regarding the spa have been forwarded to the ESPA Life at Corinthia Director. Please accept our apologies that in this instance we failed to inform you of a change of policy. We are very disappointed that we failed to live up to your expectations and hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back for a fourth time to Corinthia London.