“Beautiful but noisy”

St. Pancras Renaissance Hotel London
Ranked #213 of 1,076 Hotels in London
Reviewed 20 April 2011

Agree with former reviewers that hotel is stunningly beautiful, food in the chambers lounge was first rate, staff were very friendly but as others said, some where not trained properly. Would have given this hotel full points had it not been for this terrible rumbling noise to be heard every 20 seconds from the underground making tremble the room. Didn't sleep at all the first night due to this. I suggest to future travellers to take a room near to the grand staircase away from the King's Cross side. Had the impression that the noise was less to be heard there. Can't imagine anybody paying 650£ for a junior suite and not being able to sleep. I don't mind traffic noise in London, but would choose a more quiet hotel next time.

Room Tip: rooms in new wing or away from Kings Cross
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
5  Thank travreviews
Kevin K, General Manager at St. Pancras Renaissance Hotel London, responded to this reviewResponded 18 June 2012

Thank you very much for reviewing the St Pancras Renaissance Hotel just after the opening.
We have now been operating for a bit over a year and would love to have the opportunity of welcoming you back in the hopefully not too distant future.
Please feel free to contact Christina Huethwohl on 02078413542 or christina.huethwohl@renaissancehotels.com if we can be of any assistance.

Reviewed 19 April 2011

The building is beautiful but the staff are in chaos and don't seem to have had any training. It's great until you have a query that's slightly out of the ordinary. Not a good experience for the business traveller.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled on business
4  Thank JaneSoames

Reviewed 19 April 2011

As a Marriott die hard fan I have been waiting with baited breath for this hotel to open for years. I am delighted to say that my wait was well worth it. I have stayed in Marriott / Renaissance hotels all over the world and I can honestly say that this one sits well and truly at the top of the pile.

It is hard to know where to start in reviewing this hotel. Your experience actually starts before you even set foot inside it with the breathtakingly imposing exterior (in my opinion one of the most fabulous buildings in London) towering over you as you approach. The interior continues in the same vein with original features and detailing meeting perfectly with modern design.

The reception lobby is spacious light and airy and certainly has the wow factor as you enter. The 'Booking Office' (the old booking hall for St Pancras station) has been superbly converted into the main bar and restaurant area and it is a fantastic place to hang out and soak up the atmosphere. The food is also very good and you 'must' try the ice cream sundae - divine! For those of you who are Marriott members or lucky enough to have access to the Executive Lounge, the 'Club' as it is called is outstanding in every respect from the general ambience to the waitress service and complimentary drinks, they even have jars of 'old school' sweets which kept the children busy.

We had two adjoining rooms (a King and a Twin Double) as we were travelling with our two little ones (5 and 4) and we were delighted with them. With the hotel having only just opened (and not even having it's official opening yet!) everything was shiny and new. As in every other part of the hotel the fixtures and fittings were top notch and continued the theme of elegance, travel and relaxation evident everywhere in the hotel. The bathrooms were fully equipped with REN products (which my wife appeared to be delighted about?!), which leads me on to the Spa. I have run out of superlatives already so all I will say about the Spa is - go and visit it. The pool area in particular is stunning.

Despite of all the grandeur and sumptuousness of the hotel it is not actually this that made it 5* for me - it was the staff. Every single staff member that I met greeted us with smiles and could honestly not have been more friendly and helpful. They ALL seem so proud of their hotel (and rightly so) and are keen to tell you all about the buildings history. Tours run four times a day for those who want a comprehensive overview. The staff also made a big deal of the kids which was great.

In summary, this is an amazing hotel on every level and I would absolutely encourage everyone to put this on your places to visit before I die list. We visited for my wife's 40th Birthday and it has certainly contributed in a big way to making it a landmark memory for us. I have told her that if she is very good we will go back for her 50th!

Outstanding.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank Reaper1

Reviewed 18 April 2011

I have never written a review on here before but having stayed at this magnificent hotel recently I felt that I should. To begin with I have to say that I felt quite privileged to stay here. It is yes a privilege I payed for but a privilege non the less! When you think this remarkable building was due for demolition it makes you realize just how close we came to losing one of London's great buildings. That is why I say its a privilege because if not for the foresight and courage of the owner I would have missed out on the hotel stay of my life and yes it was that good!

The building itself is indescribably beautiful, no picture, no words can do it justice, you just have to see it for yourself. However as awe-inspiring as the building is it was the people who make it work that made my stay so special. I have never received service even close to this before, not close. All of the staff I dealt with were an absolute delight. They were efficient, professional, courteous and just so friendly and that was true from checkin to checkout.

I can't say that everything was perfect but then were is that available? There are issues but mine were so small that to even bring them up here would be churlish in the extreme. In fact I'd say that given how long the staff have had to get used to the building and to having guests around the number of issues was remarkably small. Also yes there is an old and a new wing (I was in the new part) to the hotel and one is quite different from the other but the staff seemed to treat everyone the same way.

Anyway in my view the St Pancras Renaissance Hotel is amazing! If your lucky enough to go there enjoy the building, it really is remarkable. The lobby (its HUGE!) the Booking Office bar, the Gilbert Scott Restaurant, the Grand Staircase (breathtaking!) and corridors etc are to be savored and I did just that! Being there is more of an experience than a mere hotel stay and I'd love to go back one day, if I can afford it ;-)

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled solo
3  Thank 1957_Travel

Reviewed 8 April 2011

I did feel good when i secure a night at the magnificent St Pancras.
The building is a masterpiece and a genius of architecture.
Arrive at the desk to a big empty and cold room. I know, such a room is hard to fill but decor does not match the hotel.
Polite reception and quickly try to get my orientation right. Such a place. They have Marcus Wearing in house but his restaurant is not open yet. I make my way to the booking office bar where they also serve food. Everywhere you enter a new wow factor room. Stunning.
I have been told they are on a pre opening and only anlimit amour of guest are staying so I came in a mindful attitude. Wait to be acknowledge for some time. Waiting staff running whith no direction in particular. Very funny as it does look like a circus. Food was amazing and cocktails creative ,maybe why there were so many people. But not the service. Any way. Back to my room to find the normal Marriott standard. I have been told it is a five star ? Not sure.
Room was comfortable. Breakfast again spot on for the food but same scenario for the service. They really need to work on it. I have ask who is the manager and been pointed at a sleepy and not very active person.
Overwhole, I have enjoy my stay. Food is great but want to try Mr Wareing so will be back

• Stayed: April 2011
2  Thank Davidfab

Reviewed 7 April 2011

I stayed here for the weekend for a Mother's day treat. The refurbishment and furnishings are impressive with relaxing colours and innovative flower arrangements everywhere.
Security is strict yes, but as explained to maintain the exclusivity and to keep track of where everyone is for health and safety reasons as it's easy to get lost and some parts are still
under construction. They will also be launching their own range of building tours in the future. The spa is beautiful and private, with a small pool that is busy in the late afternoons.
Yes staff are still in training, with small issues like serviettes being needed for self service in the club and side plates for toast at breakfast. Otherwise staff are exceptionally attentive and polite and made the stay a real treat for my mother.
Watch out for the website when booking as prices are without VAT. It's expensive and in line with Savoy prices but I would go back tomorrow just for the buzz of the place and architectural joys. My room was on the Third floor too. I'm not particular about a view and this was the quietest hotel room that I've ever stayed in. At 5 foot two the bath is a bit of a challenge getting in and out of and more water pressure is required from the shower but no complaints otherwise.

• Stayed: April 2011

Reviewed 6 April 2011

Stayed in a Chambers room in the refurbished "Midland Grand" part of the St Pancras Renaissance for 4 nights in April during the hotel's soft opening. The room was stunning, 20-25 ft ceilings, floor to ceiling arched windows, lots of light, wonderful bedding. These rooms were not originally en-suite when built in 1873, so they basically created a "room within a room" for the bathroom - but it worked well and the shower was wonderful. I would agree that some of the staff seemed rather new to the service industry (servers in the lounge, security detail), but the front desk staff and the head Chambers lounge staff were delightful. In addition to our room, the public spaces in the old part of the hotel were breathtaking - lobby, Booking Office, grand staircase, hallways, views into the lobby/rail station, Ladies Smoking Room and side room (these last two are private function rooms) were clearly renovated to their former glory with meticulous care. I did feel a little out of place in jeans in such a grand place - thank goodness it was just soft opening. Kings Cross location not withstanding, I envision this hotel becoming THE place to stay in London and host once-in-a-lifetime, memorable events. The hotel is not too long of a walk from Regents park or Camden area, and you can always pop next door to the British Library if you want to view the original Magna Carta [one of 4 or 6, IIRC] or Canterbury Tails. One thing to note: the pool is more like a big spa - beautiful but small. I hope to return soon!

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple