“You can do much much better with your money”

St. Pancras Renaissance Hotel London
Ranked #189 of 1,081 Hotels in London
Reviewed 24 May 2011

We stayed at the St Pancras Grand for a treat. When booking I took a sharp intake of breath at a price of 280 GBP per night. However, unlike most hotels I booked I did not realise that they did not include VAT so the total price was a whopping 330 GBP per night! I used their own site for booking, as it seemed as competitive as the others. Was pleased to see there was an early check-in box to be ticked and once ticked I was asked about my proposed check in time. I chose midday, to try and be reasonable. I had noticed that the hotel did not want anybody checking in until 16:00 but I was convinced in my mind this was a joke. As somebody who has spent at least one week per month in hotels over a 20 year period, I’d never come across this…… until now.
Arrived at check in a little after 12. Truly I did not expect a major drama over checking in. I was wrong. They said there were no rooms ready. I thought this a little odd (remember this hotel is right within a station – i.e. people coming and going the whole time) but accepted this and asked when a room would become available. You would expect most hotels to give you a seat with a glass of something whilst they sorted your room out. Not the St Pancras Grand. They simply said that I should give them a mobile number and they would tell me when my room would be ready. I mentioned the option of early check in on the website, and they told me that did not mean it was confirmed. When I mentioned the fact that they had all my details to inform me in advance it was not possible, they glossed over this. I started questioning how this could happen, as I needed to change and go out in the afternoon. The Front Office Manager then arrived and seemed to antagonise the situation by completely agreeing with the other receptionist rather than trying to diffuse the situation. She informed me that this was completely normal. I begged to differ from global experience. I asked if they could phone and get a time – they would not do this on the spot but simply said they would phone when my room was ready. Having paid for a 330 GBP room, I then moved on and got changed in the public toilet of the hotel………….
We eventually got to the room much later on. I was looking forward to seeing this opulent room in such a grand building. The room was a massive disappointment. I had requested a nice view on the website. The view I had (through a pathetically small window) was of a side wall of the British Library. As for the room, I honestly cannot see it was anything outstanding at all. In fact I have stayed in rooms of a similar size for 20% of this price within well-known British chains. Its true the bed was comfortable and there was a little more furniture. However the shower was situated within the bath, and the bathroom was generally very cramped. There was no fruit in the room or any sort of luxuries. It was actually extremely plain for the price.
We only had breakfast there. Thankfully the price was included. Granola, fruit salad, fruit juice, tea, coffee, omelette and eggs benedict for 56 GBP otherwise ! The omelette was so clearly a reheated omelette. I was amazed they would even do this – seen better and less rubbery omelettes at a well known fast food outlet with a golden M at the start !
This hotel does not deserve customers with the service levels it is offering. It will survive by default simply because of its location and its curiosity value. It is not good value for money – there are other hotels nearby where you could stay overnight, have a wonderful meal and still be left with plenty of money in your pocket. I can only urge people not to stay here.

9  Thank Fernetbrancaevermore
Kevin K, General Manager at St. Pancras Renaissance Hotel London, responded to this reviewResponded 21 June 2012

Thank you very much for reviewing the St Pancras Renaissance Hotel just after the opening.
We have now been operating for a bit over a year and would love to have the opportunity of welcoming you back in the hopefully not too distant future.
Please feel free to contact Christina Huethwohl on 02078413542 or christina.huethwohl@renaissancehotels.com if we can be of any assistance.

Kevin Kelly

Write a ReviewReviews (3,537)

Reviewed 22 May 2011

In criticising upper upscale hotels one always risks sounding like a spoiled Prince Charles figure moaning about the straightness of toothpaste squeezed by a valet onto the brush.

However, paying for an upper upscale necessarily puts the details into focus. There are certain basic things which a hotel like this has to get right which this one doesn't yet deliver and needs to fix before its reputation becomes established.

First the good stuff. The building and restoration are spectacular and our guest room 184 in the old Chambers wing did not disappoint. High ceilings, lots of beautiful decorative touches, a cleverly executed bathroom with lots of goodies, decent entertainment system, comfortable bed. Nice use of good contemporary furniture whilst preserving the Victorian theme.

The bad stuff:

1. Lousy service in the bar. Staff had a poor command of English and brought my wife's drink ten minutes after mine. The bar snacks did not appear until the drinks had been paid for and we were ready to go to dinner. We were not charged for them but it would have been nice to have them.

2. Very poor quality of guest service. On two occasions it took >25 rings for someone to pick up the phone. On one occasion no one was there to answer room service so reception finally answered after 30 rings

3. Wrong newspapers delivered. OK OK you may say no big deal but when they specifically ask and are charging you this much they need to get it right. Took two phone calls to get it fixed

4. Distinctly average breakfast. Tea bags and paper sachets, toast not toasted, no sauces for the full English etc etc

5. Water in the bathroom not very hot

Minor niggles? Yes at an average British hotel but this is supposed to be one of the jewels in Marriott's crown. Unless they fix the service they will soon find that the customers willing to pay these very high rack rates will dry up fast.

B+ must try harder

• Stayed: May 2011
4  Thank JamesAnderson11

Reviewed 12 May 2011

Stayed here for one night in new build block on 3rd floor. The hotel is immaculate as you would expect. The building conversion is first class as are fixtures and fittings. Check in was marred as there were 200 people in a queue near the desk waiting to go into corporate function. Service was amazing. Taken to lift and room was good (although twin beds when I requested double). Expensive wifi and excessie mini bar prices but hey it's a 5* hotel in London so par for the course I guess. I used the gym and spa. Had to walk across reception in gym gear which was uncomfortable and eventually found gym after a few wrong turns. Nice gym/spa though.

Bug gripe for me - every time a train left St pancras my room shook and rumbled. I was worried I might not sleep but actually had a very good nights sleep as bed very comfortable. Maybe I got unlucky with the noise and vibration from station below.

My other gripe - breakfast excessively expensive and each item indiviually ordered and paid for. I'm no skin Flint but £5 for a glass of orange juice?! My full English and coffee came in at £23!

Overall very nice hotel, exellent service and very comfortable. Just a few issues as above which would put me off staying again.

In summary great converse

• Stayed: May 2011
1  Thank GShore1

Reviewed 9 May 2011

My parents stayed on the first night of the official launch and the service was incredible! You can see what it looks like for yourself from the pictures. But the number of staff looking after us and the attention to detail was beyond anything else I've experienced in London.
In particular, Sofia in Guest Relations and Andrew Minnucci, Head of Guest Relations went well out of their way to make our stay extra special.
The nicest touch? When the room is turned down for the night, not only are there chocolates, but your slippers are put out on a special 'good night' mat.
I love this hotel and definitely recommend. Considering the history and the hype it's very good value too.

3  Thank sophieljmorris

Reviewed 7 May 2011

Such a beautiful place it was an amazing place! The beds are so confey, i loved it. The staff are so friendly and nice the room serive was fast it was great! Mmmm, the food as SOO Lush, would defantily recomend to friends and strangers ;) also the chef made me a birthday cake and i only told him it was my birthday so such a surprize. So 10 out of 10 here, hope to stay again! X

• Stayed: April 2011
Kevin K, General Manager at St. Pancras Renaissance Hotel London, responded to this reviewResponded 18 June 2012

Reviewed 4 May 2011

This hotel was wonderful right from the start. As you pull up to this wonderful building you notice something different. The staff is very nice and always had a smile and was more than helpful. Marriott Gold Members are treated to a nice full english breakfast and daily snacks and drinks. The rooms are clean and modern. Sightseeing from this hotel is easy with access to all major transportation systems. The BIG BUS hop/hop off even has a stop right outside the hotel. Make sure to ask for the historic tour of the property and learn about the history and the "ghosts" in the older part of the building. I highly recommend this hotel and hope they keep up the good work after their grand opening!!
A MUST STAY!!!

Room Tip: Stay in the Bartow rooms for best value.
Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank FortLaudtraveler

Reviewed 2 May 2011

If you don't know the history of the building start here http://www.urban75.org/london/st_pancras1.html and then take a random trip through the search engines to see how close we came to losing an iconic piece of Gothic architecture. This was a long awaited trip for us after being long time admirers of the external appearance and enjoying a behind the scenes tour (including sneaking off to see some of the rooms that were not on the tour) a few years ago. Full credit to Manhattan Loft / Marriott for their roles in bringing the building to life again.

For our two day stay the hotel was in the late stages of a soft opening and the visit pretty much timed to perfection. The first surprise was to be told to leave our car directly outside the hotel for no charge. Gabor (a very friendly and efficient member of staff) greeted us, assured me the car could stay outside for the duration of the stay and swiftly arranged for our luggage was taken up to the room. I doubt free parking will be available once the hotel is fully open; nevertheless, this was a very nice start to our weekend. Check in was efficient and within five minutes we were in our room in the Barlow wing, which was a reasonable size for central London. This new build part of the hotel was clean, tastefully decorated, had all the expected amenities for both business or a pleasure stay and our room on the fifth floor appeared to be well soundproofed. Be prepared for a view of the tiles on St Pancras station roof though.

Throughout the stay the staff were excellent, very helpful and clearly enthused about being part of the revival of the building. Sofia from the concierge desk took us on a tour of the original building; from the perspective of viewing the restoration after seeing how much neglect had taken place a few years back it was reassuring to see the quality of the work that has been done. The guest rooms in the original building were clearly well thought through and any impact on the original design readily reversible, those facing the station may be noisy for light sleepers though. It was also a real pleasure to be guided by a staff member who clearly enjoyed her job and wanted to make our stay more enjoyable.

We had no complaints about the food in either The Booking Office or The Gilbert Scott; staff were clearly still setting in to their routines, but a three course Marcus Wareing menu for £25 head was an unexpected treat.

An enjoyable weekend, next time the room has to be in the original building. If the staff retain their levels of enthusiasm and service this hotel will be a London must stay.

5  Thank Ely19999