“Possibly the finest building in London - still a little work to do as a hotel”

St. Pancras Renaissance Hotel London
Ranked #189 of 1,081 Hotels in London
Reviewed 25 May 2011

If you have any interest in restoration and/or English heritage, then this place is for you.

The building is absolutely outstanding in terms of it's fundamental beauty, the incredible attention to detail in its restoration. Palacial and Titanic-esque grandeur, and yet a gorgeously modern and contemporary feeling. Rooms retain many many original features including marble fireplaces and original windows.

So what of the Hotel, after all this is what you are there for?

Staff were welcoming throughout, but service was slow in places: the check-in (and check-out even more so) was glacial (partly as desk staff have to escort every guest to their room - some requirement no doubt of 5 stars...).

Rooms spectacular - we had a Grand Chambers room, with 600-count linen and very stylish and quality fittings. Ceiling must have been 12 feet high.

Some very nice touches in the room: a personal Nespresso machine. But, no cups! Aside large mugs in the tea/kettle set. Small detail, but at GBP500 per night, these things better be right. REN toiletries, and if you've not head them/heard of them, these are some of the best you can buy - they're quality, not designer!

Room was pretty noisy - the restoration appears not to have permitted double glazing and hence the road roar was evident throughout the night - this is London after all. You get used to it, but a little bit of a surprise.

Tried to have a light quick dinner on the terrace inside the station - spectacular location with full view of Eurostar terminal and the unbeatable bustle of a travel centre. But, we said we were on a tight timescale,and so could we be served promptly? Yes, apparently we could, but after 25 mins we were waiting so had to leave for our show. No dinner. Another small detail to be fixed - tell us we wouldn't be served quickly, and we would not have complained.

Breakfast is in the Club Chambers - great environment, but it was sold as 'Full English" - which actually meant sausages, bacon and scrambled egg. This needs to be 'fuller' to be classified as "Full English" - and for this money there is no excuse.

So, very good, but Marriott need to continue to work it to be great, which is 100% possible.

Room Tip: Ask for a room not overlooking the road.
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
Kevin K, General Manager at St. Pancras Renaissance Hotel London, responded to this reviewResponded 21 June 2012

Thank you very much for reviewing the St Pancras Renaissance Hotel just after the opening.
We have now been operating for a bit over a year and would love to have the opportunity of welcoming you back in the hopefully not too distant future.
Please feel free to contact Christina Huethwohl on 02078413542 or christina.huethwohl@renaissancehotels.com if we can be of any assistance.

Kevin Kelly

Write a ReviewReviews (3,538)

Reviewed 24 May 2011

We stayed here as a couple of local Londonders just to see this grand restoration project and wow we were not disappointed. The building is simply stunning with so many character touches - it looks like a real labour of love and the visionaries who restored it should be worshipped!

However the staff in the Marriott who now occupy this beautful space seem a bit amateur - with the exception of the concierge team who were really helpful and friendly. Our check in was a bit chilly and although we were shown a bit of the hotel, the receptionist seemed disinterested in the place, or in making us feel welcome. The Chambers lounge was amazing and a lovely place to chill out, but again inexperienced staff at breakfast meant there was no hot food for over half an hour, no cutlery, coffee cups etc. It's like they were surprised guests turned up!

We dined in the Gilbert Scott and that was amazing with inventive food and professional staff.

The Barlow wing rooms were just ok really, nothing special and after admiring the public areas you do feel a bit deflated there. The few rooms in the Chambers area would cost thousands so i'm guessing most reviewers on here will never see them! it's also really busy in the hotel, being joined to St Pancras station, and we were twice asked who we were, were we guests etc. Quite annoying really but the Kings Cross borders do house some undesirables so i feel security may become a problem here - i would recommend they activate key card access in the lifts for a start, as there's public, diners and guests all over this place.

I have really mixed feelings about this - sitting in the Chambers lounge sipping coffee and admiring the huge high ceilings was sublime, but if you are going to charge Ritz London prices, then you really should hire 5 star top notch professional staff. By complete contrast, the newly opened Waldorf Astoria Syon Park has the best staff we've ever come across - Marriott should pick up some tips. Syon is now in the top ten recommended hotels for London, yet this iconic unique building lags behind - such a simple thing to correct Marriott please train up your staff!

Room Tip: Get Chambers room if you can
1  Thank Karen7

Reviewed 24 May 2011

We've long admired the building, and were delighted that it was a) saved and b) converted back into a hotel. We booked a room in the original Chambers part of the building, wanting to enjoy as much of the original experience as possible, and were not disappointed - from the entrance to the views from the room (over the hotel frontage - fantastic), it was a delight.

Our room (256) was large, with wonderfully high ceilings and two huge (non-opening) windows. Really well equipped, and very handy for the grand staircase, restaurant, etc. We had drinks in the spacious and attentive Chambers Club (the Booking Office bar looked great, but the seats were oddly laid out, and at different heights, the themed traditional drinks were a nice idea but not tempting, and the music was all wrong - disappointing), and dinner in the Gilbert Scott restaurant, where the food was excellent and the service mostly outstanding (although the wine waiter was a little ill-informed, and the stock already surprisingly depleted).

The hotel is immaculate, and a joy to explore (although beware the sometimes officious staff on the grand staircase checking residency). It still smells faintly of new carpet throughout, as it's so recently re-opened, and looks amazing, with mostly traditional features and occasional, very appropriate use of modern art and features.

Whilst almost uniformly smiley and helpful, there's a feeling that the staff are still finding their feet a bit. Check-in and check-out are absolutely shambolic - too few staff, who take ages, on unnamed desks (the desk nearest the entrance is the concierge; most staff on the other desks can check you in and out, unless you get the chap who turns up 'to help' when there's a long queue, which is most of the time (although there's little space for a proper queue, and so it's all a bit random), and then admits that he wouldn't know how to check you in/out... bizarre). When check-in was flagged as the only thing even slightly marring an otherwise brilliant stay, we were advised that it was a busy weekend... a more established operator would instead have met this expression of concern with an apology, having known to put more staff on the desks to meet the number of bookings. If they want to really become the classy place they appear to be trying to be, and for which they definitely have the backdrop in this amazing building, the levels of service at the first customer interface do need to be improved. And for a hotel of this type and price, there really should be free wi-fi.

But the building itself, the size and quality of the room, and the nice touches make up for all of this: touches such as strawberries and cream left in the room at the end of a long day sightseeing, and chocolates too.

It's also a brilliant location, with unsurprisingly good public transport connections (and trains don't disturb you at all in the Chambers part of the building), next to the British library (which does have free wi-fi), and with lots of restaurants, cafes and bars on tap in case of need.

Overall, a highly recommended experience: it has to be the most visually stunning hotel in London.

Reviewed 24 May 2011

We stayed at the St Pancras Grand for a treat. When booking I took a sharp intake of breath at a price of 280 GBP per night. However, unlike most hotels I booked I did not realise that they did not include VAT so the total price was a whopping 330 GBP per night! I used their own site for booking, as it seemed as competitive as the others. Was pleased to see there was an early check-in box to be ticked and once ticked I was asked about my proposed check in time. I chose midday, to try and be reasonable. I had noticed that the hotel did not want anybody checking in until 16:00 but I was convinced in my mind this was a joke. As somebody who has spent at least one week per month in hotels over a 20 year period, I’d never come across this…… until now.
Arrived at check in a little after 12. Truly I did not expect a major drama over checking in. I was wrong. They said there were no rooms ready. I thought this a little odd (remember this hotel is right within a station – i.e. people coming and going the whole time) but accepted this and asked when a room would become available. You would expect most hotels to give you a seat with a glass of something whilst they sorted your room out. Not the St Pancras Grand. They simply said that I should give them a mobile number and they would tell me when my room would be ready. I mentioned the option of early check in on the website, and they told me that did not mean it was confirmed. When I mentioned the fact that they had all my details to inform me in advance it was not possible, they glossed over this. I started questioning how this could happen, as I needed to change and go out in the afternoon. The Front Office Manager then arrived and seemed to antagonise the situation by completely agreeing with the other receptionist rather than trying to diffuse the situation. She informed me that this was completely normal. I begged to differ from global experience. I asked if they could phone and get a time – they would not do this on the spot but simply said they would phone when my room was ready. Having paid for a 330 GBP room, I then moved on and got changed in the public toilet of the hotel………….
We eventually got to the room much later on. I was looking forward to seeing this opulent room in such a grand building. The room was a massive disappointment. I had requested a nice view on the website. The view I had (through a pathetically small window) was of a side wall of the British Library. As for the room, I honestly cannot see it was anything outstanding at all. In fact I have stayed in rooms of a similar size for 20% of this price within well-known British chains. Its true the bed was comfortable and there was a little more furniture. However the shower was situated within the bath, and the bathroom was generally very cramped. There was no fruit in the room or any sort of luxuries. It was actually extremely plain for the price.
We only had breakfast there. Thankfully the price was included. Granola, fruit salad, fruit juice, tea, coffee, omelette and eggs benedict for 56 GBP otherwise ! The omelette was so clearly a reheated omelette. I was amazed they would even do this – seen better and less rubbery omelettes at a well known fast food outlet with a golden M at the start !
This hotel does not deserve customers with the service levels it is offering. It will survive by default simply because of its location and its curiosity value. It is not good value for money – there are other hotels nearby where you could stay overnight, have a wonderful meal and still be left with plenty of money in your pocket. I can only urge people not to stay here.

9  Thank Fernetbrancaevermore

Reviewed 22 May 2011

In criticising upper upscale hotels one always risks sounding like a spoiled Prince Charles figure moaning about the straightness of toothpaste squeezed by a valet onto the brush.

However, paying for an upper upscale necessarily puts the details into focus. There are certain basic things which a hotel like this has to get right which this one doesn't yet deliver and needs to fix before its reputation becomes established.

First the good stuff. The building and restoration are spectacular and our guest room 184 in the old Chambers wing did not disappoint. High ceilings, lots of beautiful decorative touches, a cleverly executed bathroom with lots of goodies, decent entertainment system, comfortable bed. Nice use of good contemporary furniture whilst preserving the Victorian theme.

The bad stuff:

1. Lousy service in the bar. Staff had a poor command of English and brought my wife's drink ten minutes after mine. The bar snacks did not appear until the drinks had been paid for and we were ready to go to dinner. We were not charged for them but it would have been nice to have them.

2. Very poor quality of guest service. On two occasions it took >25 rings for someone to pick up the phone. On one occasion no one was there to answer room service so reception finally answered after 30 rings

3. Wrong newspapers delivered. OK OK you may say no big deal but when they specifically ask and are charging you this much they need to get it right. Took two phone calls to get it fixed

4. Distinctly average breakfast. Tea bags and paper sachets, toast not toasted, no sauces for the full English etc etc

5. Water in the bathroom not very hot

Minor niggles? Yes at an average British hotel but this is supposed to be one of the jewels in Marriott's crown. Unless they fix the service they will soon find that the customers willing to pay these very high rack rates will dry up fast.

B+ must try harder

• Stayed: May 2011
4  Thank JamesAnderson11

Reviewed 12 May 2011

Stayed here for one night in new build block on 3rd floor. The hotel is immaculate as you would expect. The building conversion is first class as are fixtures and fittings. Check in was marred as there were 200 people in a queue near the desk waiting to go into corporate function. Service was amazing. Taken to lift and room was good (although twin beds when I requested double). Expensive wifi and excessie mini bar prices but hey it's a 5* hotel in London so par for the course I guess. I used the gym and spa. Had to walk across reception in gym gear which was uncomfortable and eventually found gym after a few wrong turns. Nice gym/spa though.

Bug gripe for me - every time a train left St pancras my room shook and rumbled. I was worried I might not sleep but actually had a very good nights sleep as bed very comfortable. Maybe I got unlucky with the noise and vibration from station below.

My other gripe - breakfast excessively expensive and each item indiviually ordered and paid for. I'm no skin Flint but £5 for a glass of orange juice?! My full English and coffee came in at £23!

Overall very nice hotel, exellent service and very comfortable. Just a few issues as above which would put me off staying again.

In summary great converse

• Stayed: May 2011
1  Thank GShore1

Reviewed 9 May 2011

My parents stayed on the first night of the official launch and the service was incredible! You can see what it looks like for yourself from the pictures. But the number of staff looking after us and the attention to detail was beyond anything else I've experienced in London.
In particular, Sofia in Guest Relations and Andrew Minnucci, Head of Guest Relations went well out of their way to make our stay extra special.
The nicest touch? When the room is turned down for the night, not only are there chocolates, but your slippers are put out on a special 'good night' mat.
I love this hotel and definitely recommend. Considering the history and the hype it's very good value too.

3  Thank sophieljmorris