“Great staff amazing atmosphere”

St. Pancras Renaissance Hotel London
Ranked #200 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed 5 June 2011

St Pancras Renaissance London Hotel- amazing view when you have a look from the main entrance. Check- in was really nice and all people welcome me warmly and friendly.The room was excellent and the luggage service fast and safe.
I met there for a friend´s birthday to have lunch in the Booking Office Bar, where I received great service and we had a great time there. The food was delicious, great cocktails and the service staff lovely, especially Maira, she´s a lovely girl who took care about all our needs and spend a few minutes to show us the Grand Staircase, which is well worth seeing and well refurbished.
In the evening I visited the Spa Area where you are welcomed by great staff and I really relaxed and enjoyed an amazing massage.
I do really recommend this hotel and was absolutely fine.
Thanks for a good time.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends
Kevin K, General Manager at St. Pancras Renaissance Hotel London, responded to this reviewResponded 21 June 2012

Thank you very much for reviewing the St Pancras Renaissance Hotel just after the opening.
We have now been operating for a bit over a year and would love to have the opportunity of welcoming you back in the hopefully not too distant future.
Please feel free to contact Christina Huethwohl on 02078413542 or christina.huethwohl@renaissancehotels.com if we can be of any assistance.

Kevin Kelly

Write a ReviewReviews (3,436)

Reviewed 4 June 2011

Lovely building, but the indifference of the staff - from the manager downwards - is breathtaking for a five-star hotel.

When I arrived no doorman to greet you, long lines to check in, room booking was wrong, no attempt to find the requested double-bedded room, gave up on the Booking Office restaurant which was in pandemonium with diners calling out for service, etc. Duty Manager gave me bare minimum of help grudgingly (and I wasn't complaining badly or loudly, just asked could he help).

I resolved never to stay again, but also wrote to the manager to explain what happened in hope he could make it better for others. My letter - two weeks on - has not received any response.

I know five-star service, and this isn't it (nor anywhere near). A dreadful, insulting, expensive experience.

Beware - they don't deserve your trade. There is better value nearby.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled on business
7  Thank SunnyDay007

Reviewed 3 June 2011

Many many years ago I got access to the old Midland hotel when some attempt at refurbishment was going on, and told myself I'd treat myself to a stay there whenever it got finsihed. Which i did last month, but was underwhelmed.
I had prepaid for a deluxe double, but found we'd been given a standard twin. Reception did sort us out a double (Queen in the Barlow Rooms with a view of the British Library car park) but when I queired the type of room was told "all our rooms are deluxe." Which of course they're not.
Hotel info was very scanty in the room - lots on Gilbert Scott but nothing about checkout times, spa facilities etc. In fact the only customer service I remember was the offer of a turn down service 5 seconds after we got in the room. No offer of morning papers etc.
The Booking Office bar had a nice ambience (batter than when it was a booking office) but very strange cocktails. (Elderflowers floating on the top in a copper cup? - a new one on me).
The restaurant and front of the hotel are lavish, and we did get a look round the grand staircase etc, but under the watchful eye of a staff member. Not sure what we thought we were going to do, - unbolt and nick a few of the balustrades perhaps.
In spite of being prepaid via Laterooms i was charged VAT at checkout but I hope this will be refunded. It was very expensive bearing in mind the only way the room differed from any other bland chain was the size of the TV screen. Otherwise, apart from the refurbished Edwardian parts it felt like an airport hotel.
I can only give this hotel two stars because of how far it fell short of its pretensions; that, and the cost - just under 400 GBP with no breakfast.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Gtrak

Reviewed 31 May 2011

Very comfortable hotel, although a little awkward to navigate as a slightly unusual layout.

Great staff, without question the happiest bunch you could hope for.

Walking distance from Euston station.

• Stayed: May 2011

Reviewed 30 May 2011

Stayed here for a 3 nights! I normally stay at Marriot hotels if I can since I am a gold member and normally get some extra perks! This hotel was great! there are a couple of details that need to improve since the hotel just opened but it can only get better. I stayed in the new part of the hotel and the room was clean and neat, not amazing, but exactly what you expect from a large hotel chain, you know you cant go wrong normally. The windows dont open because it is law in London, not because they had a choice. When I arrived I was very well greeted, they only had 1 room of the 2 we had reserved, but we were offered a shower and access to the spa if we wanted to relax before the room was ready. the chambers club, which was the concierge level for Gold members was great! right next to the Booking office which is the bar, restaurant they have in the lobby. great atmosphere and the food was awesome!!
overall great location, you have st pancras station right next to you so you have access to everywhere in London, we went to Wembley stadium direct from our hotel! you cant beat that!!
highly recommended! look for the promotions on the website, I stayed 3 night and paid for 2 since I was using my Amex card!

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank panajoe81

Reviewed 29 May 2011

I stayed at the hotel for one night for a friend's wedding in London. I arrived tired, missing my family and too early for check in. The staff, especially Manisha, were incredible accomodating and made me feel right at home. Just waiting in the lobby for a room was a treat. The architecture, design and floral arrangementswere truly spectacular. In fact, it may be one of the most extraordinary buildings I have ever visited. As the hotel was new, they were still working out some kinks like a power outage in the pool and card keys that needed to be re-coded. That said, staff was great about acknowldedging the problems and trying to accomodate guests. The only real problem with the hotel from my experience was that I didn't want to leave the hotel to sightsee :)

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled solo

Reviewed 27 May 2011

Let me be plain at the outset. This hotel is situated in a beautiful and apparently very well-restored building. It is extremely convenient for Eurostar or Kings Cross. The standard of the room was very high. However, my room (the least expensive, but hardly cheap at £390 inc VAT per night, room only) was dull and characterless and could have been a room in any premium chain hotel, the public spaces are extraordinarily noisy and dinful and the service is superficial and impersonal. This was not the special treat that the price and building promised.

Booking. It is impossible to book a room with a person who is situated at the hotel. One has to deal with "Central Reservations" which is a call centre in America. This is a poor start because it so impersonal. The booking agent has no more information about the hotel than one can glean from its website. She does not know which rooms are particularly pleasant. She can say nothing about the feel of the hotel. She is not part of the hotel's character. She is the voice of the faceless, worldwide, giant Marriott chain. The thing about chains is, they're all very well on a slapper's ankle but they bode for a poor experience when it comes to hotels and restaurants.

Arrival. The hotel was very busy. It is not obvious if one comes from the platform where the reception is. There was no confident, assured welcome. The operatives displayed no warmth. They could not depart from the script. All of the staff are foreign and most seem to be very young.

The room. Spacious, high quality fitted furniture, comfortable if rather soft bed. Very quiet for the location. Ultra clean. But not special, not individual, not characterful. The furniture is fitted, not loose. There are no interesting ornaments or nick nacks. The decor is bland. The window is tiny and cannot be opened. It is air conditioned and over heats if one turns off that dreadful device; it whirs away if one leaves it on. There is an hideous great big television set, so big that it cannot be hurled out of the porthole window. Frankly, it's a posh Marriott hotel room.

Bathroom. Ultra clean. No separate shower; bath too short for me to lie down in. Fancy modern toiletries. A button had fallen off the bath/shower tap. Posh Marriott bathroom.

Public areas. I tried the bar and the lobby. Insufficient attention has been paid to acoustics. Because of the hard surfaces and large spaces, these rooms are filled with loud, harsh, hard din. It is most unpleasant. There is no peaceful sitting room. There are no intimate, relaxed spaces. The prices in the bar are extortionate. £6.75 for a pint of ordinary beer! £8.00 for a pint of alcohol-free beer! It was served in a tankard, however, for which lovely touch I can just about forget the price.

I booked this room for a treat. That is what I was expecting for my £390. I was sorely disappointed. This is a very good hotel, but beyond its public spaces, which are unpleasant to use, it is not special, not individual, not a treat. It is a posh Marriott hotel. The comically expensive drinks left a sour taste. I would have been delighted with the place at, say £250 a night, but at this price there has to be something extra.

Next time I fancy a treat, I will stay at the Covent Garden Hotel or Charlotte Street Hotel. Actually, next time, I will just go home. I guess if you like chains, this is the place for you: but it is no home from home.

Room Tip: Pay more money