“Hotel Great - Food worse than awful!”

St. Pancras Renaissance Hotel London
Ranked #194 of 1,067 Hotels in London
Essex
“Hotel Great - Food worse than awful!”
Reviewed 17 January 2012

This was an 80th Birthday treat for my father as he worked there for many years of his life when it was offices for British Transport Hotels.

The hotel is lovely, and the room and check in was fine. The guided tour was first class and if you get a chance to go on it with Roydon then I recommend you grab the opportunity with both hands.

However I very strongly advise you do not eat there.

There was immense difficulty in booking a table, and we managed it at the third attempt via the concierge. This was somewhat surprising as it was not particularly busy.

We booked for three, and were given a table for two with an extra chair.

On sitting down the table next to us asked for the manager, and on his arrival stated that they could put up with bad service or bad food - but not both. The table the other side of us then complained shortly afterwards.

Getting the order taken took for ever and the drinks even slower. An additional drink was then forgotten about, and finally arrived, but only after asking the manager.

The starter came - two of us had pate, and one soup. The pate was £9 plus service charge making it £10.35. I actually took a photo of it just to prove how small the portion was, and the fact that it came with less than half a normal slice of toasted bread. Despite specifically requesting bread with my mother's soup, it failed to materialise. Then eventually she got a roll.

The final straw was when my fish arrived, not overcooked, but burnt. At this point it was returned and cancelled.

In fairness they did apologise and gave my parents a glass of champagne.

Sadly though, my mother spent the night being sick - was she just unlucky and unwell? or was it the soup? Who knows but the fact that she felt fine after being sick could suggest the soup.

Never mind, having had the special meal ruined I assumed breakfast would be OK.

Wrong, apparently with the exception of the sausages it was all cold, and according to my mother the cereal tasted as though it had been on display for many days. As for hot coffee? Forget it - luke warm at best.

Please bear in mind they charge £29 per person for this.

On checking out I explained the situation, and was sked to put it in writing - a month later I got a poorly written reply, on an envelope handwritten, and extremely amateurish. They apologised, and offered my parents a cup of tea if they would like to call in!

So a lovely hotel, but a restaurant so bad as to be unbelievable.

To put it into context, I arranged a works Xmas meal the following week at the opposite end of the scale in the Toby Carvery. The food was infinitely better, more plentiful, and a fraction of the cost. The service was impeccable, and the oung waitress couldn't have been more attentive or efficient.

A real shame - would I stay there again? Yes - would I eat there again? No, I would rather have a luke warm MacDonalds!

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
4 Thank ChrisW41

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (876)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 15 January 2012

We stayed here for the start of our luxury holiday to France via Eurostar, we were very excited about staying in such a prestigious hotel having planned a short break with friends who have mobility problems, going 1st class all the way. Firstly we were not 'allowed' by a pretentious bouncer, to enter the Hotel through the bar which meant a 100yard detour outside, next the 'accesible' rooms on floor 6 were a very long walk through the hotel leaving our friend exhausted despite explaining our problem in reception.The rooms were ok but 5 star?? I don't think so! The new part of the hotel has Bog standard corporate type rooms not mentioned in the beautiful brochure - 2 teabags and 2 sachets of Nescafé just about sum up the facilities available. On our return from the theatre at 10.30pm we were told that the only place to get a cup of tea was the crowded bar, no seats free though! Having battled with staff to get the 4 cups of tea (nearly £20 & not even a biscuit) carried 20 feet to reception we waited, 35mins- just to be told, when it eventually came that, whoops it had been forgotten for a while! Because we had a train to catch I did not have chance to complain to management as we left -lucky for them!

• Stayed January 2012
3 Thank J9CSN
Geneva, Switzerland
Reviewed 15 January 2012

I was impressed the moment I walked through the front doors. This building has been beautifully refurbished. After traveling by train and then navigating through the subway system to get to London and the hotel, I was pleasantly surprised to find that I could have a seat and order a proper lunch right in the lobby while I waited for my room. It only took a few minutes even though I had arrived for early check in. I opted to linger for a leisurely lunch in the lobby sitting area/ cafe area to enjoy the ambience and the beauty surrounding me. Even though the lobby is huge and grand, it still felt warm and cozy and the food was great. Every employee that we encountered provided great service. The room was a nice size with tall ceilings and tasteful decor with a large window. I slept very well in the comfortable bed. The number two thing for me in a hotel room (secondary only to cleanliness) is, how quiet it is in the room, rather, how well can you hear everything outside the room. We were not disturbed here at all by noises outside our room. We were only there one night but, I never heard people in the hall, next door, or outdoor noises. Also, the charter club area here was fantastic: beautifully decorated, well appointed, spacious, cozy and quiet area with fantastic service and a good variety of food, sweets and drinks. I had read one review on here that complained of the small or bad selection of food in the charter club area. They must have changed something since then because that was not the case when I was there. I would say I'm a pretty discerning guest but I really can't think of anything bad to say about this hotel other than the free continental breakfast was limited and unimpressive for a five star hotel.

• Stayed December 2011
Kevin K, General Manager at St. Pancras Renaissance Hotel London, responded to this review, 22 February 2013
Thank you very much for reviewing the St Pancras Renaissance Hotel.
We would love to have the opportunity of welcoming you back in the hopefully not too distant future.
Please feel free to contact Christina Huethwohl on 02078413542 or christina.huethwohl@renaissancehotels.com if we can be of any assistance.

Kind regards,
Kevin Kelly
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 January 2012

Stayed there for my 40th ,got upgraded to suite, and received stunning service. I've stayed in some "posh "hotel but this is luxury personified. Going back the for the Olympics!!

• Stayed November 2011
Kevin K, General Manager at St. Pancras Renaissance Hotel London, responded to this review, 21 February 2013

Cairo, Egypt
Reviewed 15 January 2012

They did a great job renovating this historic Victorian building, preserving the original architectural elements while providing all up-to-date hotel amenities.

The "Booking Office" - the hotel's all day dining - is always packed and has a unique ambience.

Room Tip: Choose Chambers rooms to enjoy the Club Lounge.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled on business

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 14 January 2012

A five hotel star worth ever bit of its category and more. This grand hotel has been completely restored to perfection. From the time you arrive till you check out everything was amazing. We had the "basic room" but basic it was not. Our room was fantastic, the staff very friendly and helpful and they encouraged you to look around the building to see it in all its glory. I had given up on grand hotels in London as they all seem to be re done in ultra modern styles so this was a rare find and we would love to return

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 January 2012

This is a pretty overwhelming building. The grand staircase is absolutely stunning and the guided tour a must. I would recommend staying in the Chambers rooms to get access to the Chambers Club. Pool small but delightfully relaxing. Food nice. My room had a view over the platforms which was quite special. Very quiet considering the location. My service and food were very good. Want to return.

Room Tip: Stay in Chambers Room/Suite at least in the old part. Pick a view over the platforms at the back.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled on business