“Great place, location and architecture. Good & expensive”

St. Pancras Renaissance Hotel London
Ranked #202 of 1,069 Hotels in London
Paris, France
“Great place, location and architecture. Good & expensive”
Reviewed 12 May 2013

Two different hotels in one. "Barlow" area are recent average good rooms. "Chambers" are in the historic building greatly renovated, elegant, crazy expensive.
Location is excellent for public transport connection.
We spent 4 nights in a 1 bedroom Chambers suite. Great nicely decorated room, but... so expensive (550GBP/night). Ridiculously small bathroom (although equipped with bath and shower separated, we could not stay two adults at the same time). Butler service normally included is "lazy": in fact we did not see the butler at all, just a letter under the door telling that she missed and offered to call her... but on the phone we could not really figure out what she could propose to assist with, and was not pushing to explain.
Small but interesting details: a B&O iPod/Ipad player and a Nespresso machine with capsules in the room.
Issue: believe it or not, although renovated only a couple of years ago, the windows are with simple glass, not even double-layer: so you can imagine the noise level when you are on the street side!
Access to Chambers Club where breakfast is served was very valuable. Private club, where breakfast and English tea were served for free. Service there was absolutely outstanding. However breakfast was far bellow expectations in this category of hotel.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank matoux00

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (896)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 12 May 2013

Breakfast in the Chambers club was the standard hotel breakfast. Request for a poached egg to replace the dreadful scrambled eggs was met with : "That is GBP 2.50 extra."
The lobby is bright, airy and welcoming. the bar (also restaurant) cheerful and welcoming.The staff is solicitous and welcoming as you enter the lobby which occupies the old booking hall of the Victorian train station. I had booked a room with points and upgraded to a "Chambers Suite" for GBP 145. The suite is really just a room and bath. The room is a good size, but feels cluttered with its large round table, bench at the end of the bed, and free-standing wardrobe. The TV is at 90 degrees of the bed which makes it somewhat uncomfortable to watch. The most impressive features of the room are the height of the ceiling (twice as high as the room is large), the immense mirror above the fireplace mantle, and the magnificent view of the inside of the station and the Eurostar tracks. The bathroom is large and has two sinks, a rarity in hotel rooms. Beware the very slippery tub... No electrical outlet in the bathroom and no mirror at eye level in the bedroom which makes drying and styling your hair a bit difficult. The bedside stands have large, complimentary bottled water (still and sparkling). Earplugs are provided to compensate for the train sounds. A better insulated window would make this unnecessary.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a high floor
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
Boston, MA
Reviewed 11 May 2013

I have stayed at Renaissance St Pancras on business approximately 8 or 9 times on business in the last three years. I travel to London 3-5 times a year on business and I like to find a place that is familiar, where I feel at home while away from my home. This hotel has provided for some nice trips, but recent management lapses that resulted in.a terrible trip will probably force me to find a new "home" in London.
There are many positives at the hotel. I always stay in The Chambers Side of the hotel, which is beautiful! The ceilings are high, the furnishings are lovely, bed comfortable, and plenty of room to work. The Chambers Club is wonderful, and the people who work there -- Phil, Anka and Hugo (among others) -- always go out of their way to remember their guests and make them feel at home. They deserve high praise. The reason for my review being so poor is the result of inconsistency and poor management of the hotel -- guest relations in particular. During my recent stay in April (I was there 5 nights), there were many problems. That alone is not the end of the world. Hotels make mistakes and stuff happens that simply cannot be helped. What matters to me is how the hotel responds to problems when they do occur. That was the problem here.
I arrived at 8 pm and had reserved a one bedroom suite that was supposedly 800sq ft. It was actually MUCH smaller than that. The living room was very small and narrow and a very awkward space with a table jammed in at the end nearly blocking the door to the bedroom. The bedroom was very tiny. In fact, the closet was so small that you could not hang your clothes, except from front to back (not side by side). Bathroom was miniscule -- no way was this 800 feet or nearly as nice as either the Junior Suite or Junior Grande Suites that make up most of the rooms on the second flor of the Chambers. Do not select this room, it may look like a bargain, but it is not. Before unpacking, I immediately asked to move rooms. They only had Junior suites, but that room -- cheaper-- was a far better one. Only problem is the street noise. It is terrible, and room 166 seems to have zero soundproofing. I stayed in this room a year ago and had the same problem. If you want to sleep past 5 am, forget it. Problems continued when two male workers at the hotel let themselves into my room on Monday afternoon without knocking, ringing the bell or announcing themselves. I happened to be working around the corner of the room on my laptop and I surprised them when I confronted them about their intrusion. They were certainly surprised to see me, offered no explanation about why they had entered my room in the first pace and hurried away. I explained to the hotel desk that this was extremely unsettling, and that I should never be made to feel unsafe in my hotel room from the hotel staff! They agreed and said they would conduct a "full investigation". Despite this promise, I never heard another word from anyone about the incident.

On Wednesday night I returned to the hotel after dinner to find a band playing in the restaurant and a huge party going on in the Haywood Suite next to my room. I saw many people going in and out with bags of beer and wine and many were quite loud. At 10:30 pm I called downstairs and asked them to quiet down the party. They promised they would take care of it. Nothing changed. There being zero soundproofing I might as well have been in the room with them! Finally about midnight, I got dressed, went down to the lobby and asked to speak with the manager on duty. I explained the problem and asked him to quiet down the party. He promised they would take care of it immediately and he said he would call me in my room to confirm they had done so since this was my second complaint. The manager was very apologetic and said the hotel would make it up to me. Unfortunately, he never called and the party continued unabated complete with some drunken party goers falling down the Chambers Club stairs.
The next day I did not hear from anyone at the hotel until late afternoon, when they left a voice message from someone in guest services who said she understood that I had "had an incident last night with another guest" and that she hoped everything was alright and please "let them know what they could do to help". This I found to be totally infuriating. It sounded like I had gotten into a scuffle in the elevator! it also failed to acknowledge the inconvenience to me of a lost night sleep before a big business meeting, not to mention taking responsibility for not living up to any of their promises to either quiet the party or call me, as they indicated they would do.

I will skip the story about the barking dog that yapped for over an hour on Tuesday morning. I didn't complain about it to the hotel.

When I checked out Friday morning a guest services representative came out to ask me how my stay was. I told her that I was Incredubly unhappy, not because there had been problems, but because management (1) failed to take action in response to them (2) utterly failed to live up to their promises about calling me or telling me what they had learned about the room intrusion (ever) and (3) failed to appreciate serious inconvenience and concern for my safety over the course of the week on more than one occasion. When I checked out, the guest services woman was profusely apologetic, and promised me that "there would be a full investigation." I waited a month before writing this because I really hoped and expected that she meant what she said, and I would hear from someone about what had gone wrong and what they would do to insure that this experience would not be repeated. No word of any kind from anyone at the hotel. Very disappointing given that I have spent about 50 nights there in the last two/three years.

Hotels, even very nice ones, have issues, problems, incidents. You have to expect them. What matters is how they are dealt with. This experience speaks volumes. Sadly,I guess it is time to find a new "home" in London. Suggestions welcome!

Room Tip: Chambers one bedroom us horrible. Stick with the junior suite or he grand junior suite. Stay in Cha...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
16 Thank Cindy K
London
Reviewed 10 May 2013

We arrived in the stations hotel bar to be met by friendly staff with big smiles, only to find that every free table had a reserved sign on it. Go in with an open mind, the building is almost devine, just don't expect those smiley faces to be real and sincere. Oh almost forgot, you'll leave with empty pockets : (

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Sarah C
Scotland
Reviewed 9 May 2013

We didn't actually stay in the hotel but had teas in the foyer. Two teas cost over £10 and took 20 minutes to come. As we were catching a train, we were unable to finish our drinks before rushing away. It was difficult to catch the eyes of the staff to ask for service. I left the hotel struggling with a suitcase in one hand and leading my 89 year old blind mother with the other arm. I approached the swing doors with great difficulty and there were 3 members of staff chatting together, oblivious to our approach. I made a point of standing and waiting for one of them to help me with the doors and one of them finally came up to me and asked if there was anything I needed! Not what I would call 'intuitive' service! The beauty of the setting was completely spoilt by the offhand service.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
10 Thank HeckyScotland
CA
Reviewed 9 May 2013

I am rating St. Pancras as only average due to the service (or lack thereof). The service was very poor, especially in the restaurant and lounge areas.

The hotel itself is stunningly beautiful. This was a renovation completed in 2011 (I think) and it was done exceptionally well. We stayed in the new wing and it was very nice. We went into the 'old' wing that has been redone and it is very elegant and luxurious. I felt like we were back in time.

Too bad the service does not match the beauty and atmosphere of this incredible example of Victorian architecture and the brilliance of Sir George Gilbert Scott.

The hotel is attached to the Eurostar train terminal and made it very convenient for us as we were going from London to the European continent. There are some lovely shops to browse through in the hall between the St. Pancras hotel and the Eurostar terminal.

Room Tip: I would try and get a room in the 'old' part just to have the experience. We were in the ne...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank mgal444
Kingston-upon-Hull, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 May 2013

Once in awhile you get to stay in an "experience." This hotel is just that. It's a glorious celebration
of Victorian gothic architecture and adornment. It's a 5 star, through and through, including the staff who made us most welcome. We had supper in the Gilbert Scott restaurant and it was nice to see such items as oxtail and mutton pies on the menu
Our bedroom (021)was cool and quiet. We had a lovely breakfast in the booking hall, before a
10 minute walk, under cover, to catch our train.
We shall certainly return.

Room Tip: Rooms 020, 021, etc overlook a quiet road. These rooms do not require a lift.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple