“A top class hotel”

St. Pancras Renaissance Hotel London
Ranked #209 of 1,072 Hotels in London
Reviewed 18 November 2013

This is clearly an excellent, top of the range hotel, with prices to match. The location is fabulous, situated in the majestic former station building. The building is dreamy and fairy-tale-like, with pre-Raphaelite-style murals and carefully crafted walls and ceilings, in keeping with the Victorian past. The Ticket Office restaurant/bar is a great place to sit and absorb the atmosphere and afternoon tea is served in the reception area. Ideal location, not only for Kings Cross, but also for Bloomsbury and Marchmont Street. Our room was in the modern wing, and was extremely comfortable with large beds, and with a beautiful bathroom. It was also very large by London standards. Breakfast was delightful, buffet-style, but with fresh ingredients and lots of fresh fruit and speciality breads. I thoroughly enjoyed my stay, found the staff helpful and courteous and eager to please. On the negative side, I found the 4 O'clock check-in a bit late, and would generally expect to be allowed to check in earlier. The receptionist did try to accommodate this but was unable to find a free room, and said 4 O'clock was the guaranteed check in time. I also found the security staff to be high profile but not in a good way, giving off the feel of nightclub bouncers. One even started following me from room to room when I was trying to take some photos and I found it off-putting. The toiletries were quite spartan for a hotel of this caliber and the tea and coffee set was quite frankly mean, with no biscuit and very small quantities of tea bags etc. I also do not expect to pay £6 an hour for WIFI. The general comfort of the hotel outweighs these smallish gripes and I would be happy to return.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank AndyWildman
Gareth B, General Manager at St. Pancras Renaissance Hotel London, responded to this reviewResponded 21 November 2013

Thank you for your kind feedback. I am so pleased to hear you enjoyed your recent stay with us. As you say, the location is incredible. We are delighted to be part of the ongoing regeneration of Kings Cross, a very exciting project that is fast transforming the area into London’s hottest neighbourhood. Great to learn you enjoyed your Barlow room and found it so comfortable and spacious and I am pleased you hear you found your breakfast in the Booking Office so delightful. Appreciate your comments about check in. As the staff explained, 4pm is the guaranteed check in time across all Marriott hotels but we do our very best to accommodate early arrival requests when we know about them in advance. Thanks again for all your feedback which has been noted. I’m pleased to hear you would be keen to return and do hope to welcome you back again soon.

There are newer reviews for St. Pancras Renaissance Hotel London

Reviewed 17 November 2013

I've looked over the other reviews to see if there is something I can add. This is a hotel that starts with very high expectations. The public spaces and exterior are astonishing, and of course the story of the building's rescue is spellbinding. We have enjoyed the bars and restaurant prior to being guests, so we decided to splash out on a recent trip and stay for a few (3) nights on the way home from Paris.

We stayed in one of the Chambers Suites, and this gives rise to the first caveat. While I knew exactly what I was getting (there are floorplans on the website, if you search for them), I still strongly dislike the idea of calling a large hotel room a "Junior Suite", just because it has a couch and/or a desk in it. In my mind, the word "suite" means two rooms, with a door between them. We stayed in a lovely large room, but it was not a suite, despite being advertised as such.

Second, and this is also endemic of old hotels that have been repurposed into modern ones, was the bathroom. It was far too small for the room. While it had both a shower and a bath, the shower stall was very small -- barely large enough to turn around in, and the tub was very shallow.

Beds are always a matter of personal preference, but the bed here was quite hard, even though I like a firm mattress, and would have benefited greatly by a pillow-top.

Finally, there were some maintenance issues with the room: a slow shower drain, and a loose toilet, that on our final morning finally broke away from the wall, necessitating a move to another room just long enough to take a shower.

The staff works hard to be solicitous, and generally succeeds -- they are invariably pleasant, but could use some training. One thing that was inexcusable was turning up at the front of the hotel on a Saturday night and being unable to get a taxi for 40 minutes. The bellmen could have simply walked to the taxi rank at King's Cross (which we eventually did), but instead we were given bus directions. At 6:45pm, the bellmen should have several taxis waiting, this is standard practice at a luxury hotel, and it was only inexperience and poor training that led to this unfortunate circumstance.

So the bottom line is that this is, in many ways, an almost magic place to stay given the public spaces, and the general finish of the Chambers rooms, but it will disappoint and frustrate anyone looking for a real 5-star hotel experience. Go with appropriate (lower) expectations, and you will be pleased.

Room Tip: Note that the Chambers suites on the second floor (100-series) are exposed to a certain amount of st...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank gnetwerker
Gareth B, General Manager at St. Pancras Renaissance Hotel London, responded to this reviewResponded 26 November 2013

Thank you for your detailed feedback. I am so pleased to hear you found the public spaces astonishing and found the story of the buildings rescue of particular interest. I do hope you were able to join one of the complimentary historical tours which I am sure you would have found fascinating. I appreciate your comments in regards to the naming of the suites but know our team does a great job at explaining all of the rooms in detail at booking stage due to the individual characteristics of each room. I am sorry to hear about your taxi experience and would be keen to learn more about this. I would urge you to contact our Head Concierge on salvatore.bartolone@renaissancehotels.com so this can be fully looked into.

Reviewed 17 November 2013

One of the best hotel I've stayed. I was here in Oct 2013 and stayed in the Chamber Club room. The room is spacious and beautiful. Love the pralines. Like the architecture of the building and enjoyed the tour around the hotel. Conveniently located on top of the Eurostar station. Will stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo

Thank you for your kind feedback. I am so pleased to hear you had such a great experience with us and that you consider the hotel one of the best you’ve ever stayed in! Glad to learn you enjoyed your praline welcome amenity, Chef and his team do a great job of preparing these daily and will be pleased to be recognized! Thanks again for your feedback and I do hope to welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed 16 November 2013

What a place!!! It really was all that I hoped it would be. It was a lovely experience for me and my wife and our 4 friends .......... and the stairs!............ really great!
I remember going there when it was somewhat different. (40 years ago!)
BUT........ what on earth is the idea that the hotel caters for only one person. One dressing gown, one bedside glass, one drink, one shampoo, one bath foam etc, etc............ But it was a great stopover.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends

Thank you so much for your kind feedback. Great to hear you and your friends had such a good stay with us. As you say, the Grand Staircase is certainly one of the highlights of the hotel. I do hope you were able to join one of the complimentary Historical Tours to learn more about it? I am surprised by your comment on room amenities. The majority of our rooms are designed for two people. If we are notified that only one guest will be staying in the room, housekeeping do remove any extra, unnecessary items. Without more information about when you stayed, I am unsure where this mis-communication came from but wonder if you highlighted the missing items to the team as I am certain this would have been rectified immediately? I would certainly be keen to hear more so would urge you to contact our Head Housekeeper on Margus.Saareoks@renaissancehotels.com. Thank you again for your feedback and I do hope to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed 13 November 2013

Another Trip Advisor member alerted us not to bother staying in the Barlow rooms, which are roughly half the cost of the Chambers rooms, so we decided to go for the entire experience. When we arrived, our bags were taken up while we were personally escorted to our room by a staff member who gave us some history and told us how to use features in the room. We stayed in room 186 and thoroughly enjoyed the architecture, ambiance and access to the Club facilities. We took advantage of the complimentary breakfast, and drinks/canapes in the evening, We were too busy for tea. Can order from both hotel restaurants in the club room, which we did. We also took a tour of the entire hotel complex with a Blue Badge Guide Janet who was superb--also complimentary for guests. I did object to paying for Wifi considering that the room was more than 500 pounds a night, and the 15 foot ceilings in our (original) room made the place chilly. Amenities were generous, the large marble bath was pristine. If you want all the five star services you have to reserve a Chambers room. Worth every penny.

Room Tip: Chambers rooms are the historic ones. that is what you want.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your kind comments, I am so pleased you enjoyed your recent stay with us in Chambers. Great to hear you were able to take one of the complimentary historical tours which really do help bring the history of the building alive and we will be sure to pass your feedback on to Janet. I am glad you enjoyed your experience in the private Chambers Club although surprised by your comments regarding internet. Wi-Fi is complimentary both in The Chambers Club and in all Chambers bedrooms. Please do contact our Front Office Manager on Christian.masters@renaissancehotels.com so we can look into this further. Once again, thank you for your lovely feedback and I do hope to welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed 12 November 2013

Pretty,ritzy,with impression of luxury but only on the surface. Underneath,it's poorly redesigned for the experienced traveller,and things just do not work well at all.all that and only 400GBP per night make this a joke on the 1% who think they are getting value! but aren't. Not worth half the price.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
6  Thank valueeater
Gareth B, General Manager at St. Pancras Renaissance Hotel London, responded to this reviewResponded 18 November 2013

Thank you for your feedback. I am very surprised to hear such comments and would like the opportunity to learn more about your experience. I would be grateful if you could contact my Director of Operations on Edward.White@renaissancehotels.com so we can better understand what happened here.

Reviewed 10 November 2013

I recently stayed for one night at the hotel.

The outside of the hotel is magnificent and the common parts are impressive.

I was staying in a Barlow Room which is in the modern extension at the rear of the hotel. The room was pleasant but lacked any really character and could have been in any good hotel. I understand that the more expensive rooms in the main part of the hotel have more character.

The room was clean and comfortable. I found the heating controls difficult to fathom.

The bathroom was small and looked cheaply finished off for a five star hotel. There was only a shower; no bath.

The staff were generally pleasant. Check in was quick and check out even quicker. I requested a wake up call and a call 10 minutes later to ensure that I had woken up. The call was prompt but I failed to put the phone back on the receiver and so the second call couldn't be made. A member of staff came up to the room to knock on the door to make sure that I was awake. Very impressive.

There is no evening turn down service unless requested. I was not told about this until I rang reception at 11 p.m. to request a room refresh. I was told that housekeeping had gone home but I could have some more towels. Not impressive!

All in all, more an 4 star than a five star experience. Expensive for what you get but handy for the Eurostar.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends

Thank you for your comments. I am pleased to hear you found the building and public areas to be so impressive. I am glad to hear your room was clean and comfortable and as you note, whilst the Barlow rooms have all the facilities expected by the modern traveller, the rooms in Chambers (the original Victorian part of the building) do offer more in terms of character and history. Great to hear you were “wowed” by the service provided by the team although I’m sorry to hear about the turndown mis-communication. Whilst evening turndown service comes as standard in the Chambers, it is upon request in Barlow rooms. I am sorry this was not made clearer to you and should you wish to discuss further I would urge you to, contact our Head Housekeeper on margus.saareoks@renaissancehotels.com. Thanks again for your kind comments and I do hope to welcome you back again soon.