“Great location”

Ranked #192 of 1,063 Hotels in London
Stamford UK
“Great location”
Reviewed 8 May 2014

We stayed here for the convenient location close to two mainline stations. The ambience is wonderfully comforting and relaxing.
I didn't have time to use the Spa facilities, and we didn't eat at the hotel, but the choices looked excellent. However, you do pay for the privilege of being so close to St Pancras etc....

The concierge was fantastically helpful as there was a tube strike on, and printed various maps so that I could plan my best route.

We stayed in a basic Barlow room, which was well equipped, although the pillows were not terribly comfortable. I would love to have had a peek inside a more exclusive suite!

Room Tip: We had a (basic) Barlow room which had a wonderful view of .... a large roof!
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Gareth B, General Manager at St. Pancras Renaissance Hotel London, responded to this review, 22 May 2014
Thank you for this great feedback. I am delighted to hear you enjoyed your recent stay with us. As you say, the hotel is ideally located for those travelling by train from St Pancras, Kings Cross or Euston stations. The Kings Cross area continues to see huge redevelopment and is fast becoming London’s hottest new neighborhood so I do hope you were able to spend some time exploring the surrounding area. Great to hear the Concierge team were so helpful during your stay. Thanks again for your kind comments and I do hope to welcome you back again soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (870)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 May 2014

We stayed here overnight prior to travelling on the Eurostar as part of an anniversary trip. Grand hotel with excellent furnishings. We stayed in a Barlow room and it was fantastic. The staff were all very helpful and they acknowledged the fact that we were there for a special occasion. Breakfast was very good. I would definitely stay again if travelling on the Eurostar.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for this fantastic feedback. I am delighted to learn you chose our hotel to celebrate your anniversary trip and that you had such an enjoyable stay. Our staff pride themselves on creating memorable experiences for our guests and so I am pleased to hear your special occasion was recognized by the team. If you return again when travelling on Eurostar, you may be interested to know, we offer a complimentary Eurostar VIP Transfer Service to guests staying in Chambers. Do contact our Chambers Manager on Richard.J.Thompson@marriott.com should you like to learn more.
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 6 May 2014

The only reason I give this beautiful hotel 4 stars instead of 5 is because the showers are pretty terrible. The bathtub is so high that I've banged my foot a couple of times trying to get into the shower... and the shower head always seems to go the wrong way.

Iv'e stayed here about 4 times and I probably will keep on staying here because of the convenience and the beautiful lobby and food. However, note that it is pricey.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for your kind feedback. I am always thrilled to hear from our loyal regular guests and am pleased to hear you are particularly keen on the hotel due to its location and the food and beverage options. I am of course disappointed to hear your comments regarding the shower. I would encourage you to contact our Front Office manager on Christian.masters@renaissancehotels.com prior to your next stay, so we can ensure we allocate a room that best suits your requirements. Thanks again for your comments and I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
Hull
Reviewed 4 May 2014 via mobile

All decorations fantastic but service is lacking! The concierge was not helpful at all and everyone from the waiting staff to reception seemed to think they were above us the paying guest.

We stayed in the queen Victoria suite (huge 2 bedroomed, living area and dining room) and it was excellent but I would struggle to justify the price (over £1k per night) when I have stayed in equally good hotels in London with far better and friendlier service.

Breakfast was a good standard but service was rushed. Room was noisy and quite busy. Good choice of food.

It is worthy of a stay but I would think twice before staying again purely on the lack of service.

• Stayed January 2014
Thank you for providing us with feedback following your recent stay. As you say, the two bedroom, Queen Victoria Suite provides an excellent blend of accommodation and entertaining space. I was however very disappointed to read your comment about the level of staff friendliness as we pride ourselves on creating truly memorable experiences for all our guests. Please excuse my sincere apologies if our hospitality was a little lacking on this occasion and I do hope we may have another opportunity to welcome you back to St Pancras in the future.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 May 2014

I cannot rate this highly enough. We organised a 10 year olds afternoon tea party in the wonderful open area past the entrance hall. This was part of a "Potter" theme with a visit to platform 9 ¾ in nearby, refurbished, King's Cross.

From the moment we contacted them, to the the time we said goodbye the staff could not have been more attentive or relaxed. Especially with eight 10 year old girls rushing off to the loo and playing on the fabulous staircase.

The tea itself is very special and similar to other posher establishments but without making you feel that you can't relax and enjoy it. We enjoyed a wonderful selection of sandwiches with each bread (too numerous to list, but walnut and beetroot featured) selected to compliment the contents. They also did some plainer ones for the girls, but they all tried and liked at least one of the fancy ones. The salmon roulade being a great hit.

Then the cakes and scones. Simply fab. We could not finish all and so without prompting they swept them up and bagged them for us to take home!

The whole team, including the chatty and friendly door staff, made what could have been a bit stilted and pressurised into something very special, including the children's "champagne" on arrival, and birthday cake for the special one with the harpist playing the obligatory Happy Birthday.

Thank you team at St Pancras. You worked hard for us and deserve good reviews.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Peter K
Gareth B, General Manager at St. Pancras Renaissance Hotel London, responded to this review, 19 May 2014
Thank you for this fantastic feedback and thank you for highlighting the staff, who all pride themselves on creating memorable experiences for guests and are always delighted to hear comments like these. We are proud to serve arguably one of the best Afternoon Teas in London and it's fantastic to hear that the younger generation has now also given it their stamp of approval! Thanks again for your kind comments and I do hope to welcome you back in the near future.
NE England
Reviewed 3 May 2014

There's no denying the splendour of this renovated building - you just have to decide whether that makes it worth the substantial cost. We stayed here because it was so handy for a Eurostar journey the next day. Our room was quiet and comfortable but had no particular character - to get a room which really shows off the features of this fine building you have to pay a LOT of money (not that ours was cheap!). We had breakfast in the old booking hall - an impressive space, but the breakfast itself was very standard fare - we had the traditional English which is the normal hotel buffet. We've had better breakfasts elsewhere (no fried eggs on offer!) but have never paid this much.
One final irritation: being charged a 'Booking Office Service Charge' for my online reservation. Not impressed!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank VoyageurAnglais
Gareth B, General Manager at St. Pancras Renaissance Hotel London, responded to this review, 9 May 2014
Thank you for taking the time to provide this feedback. As you say, we are proud to offer a range of accommodation from bedrooms in the modern Barlow House to Victorian Suites in the original part of the building, all of which we believe offer excellent value within the 5 star London hotel market.

I am, of course, disappointed to learn that our breakfast did not meet your expectations and I am sorry if it wasn’t clear that we offer a number of dishes cooked to order (such as eggs) in addition to our buffet.

With regards to the service charge you refer to, this was not for making an online accommodation booking but the discretionary service charge that is applied to meals consumed in the Booking Office Bar & Restaurant.

I hope this clarifies the situation but please contact our Director of Operations on edward.white@renaissancehotels.com if you would like to discuss further.
Banchory, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 May 2014

A second visit and even better than the first! Just love this hotel . Staff cannot do enough for you , food and drinks excellent! Had dinner in booking office on the Saturday night , a lovely dinner. Had my nieces and nephews visit us for Cocktails on the Friday evening , great vibe and fabulous House music. Breakfast was excellent with plenty of choice. If you love historic buildings this is the hotel to stay in !

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for this fabulous feedback! I am thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your second stay with us. Booking Office does have a great vibe with live music every Thursday, Friday & Saturday night. I do hope you were able to join one of the historical tours we offer complimentary to guests?? Led by a professional guide they really help bring the fascinating history of the building to life. Thanks again for your comments and I do hope to welcome you back again soon.