“Updated hotel within a magnificent old train station”

St. Pancras Renaissance Hotel London
Ranked #199 of 1,088 Hotels in London
Jacksonville Beach, Florida
“Updated hotel within a magnificent old train station”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2014

This Marriott hotel is located inside the walls of the St Pancras railroad station in London. This station is the western terminus of the high-speed Eurostar train that goes under the English Channel to Paris and Brussels, so it's very convenient for those travelers.
There are good restaurants and services of every kind inside the station. The hotel contains The Booking Room restaurant and bar in the room where tickets were sold "back when". The hotel provides all the services common to upper-scale hotels.
The British Library is adjacent for those doing research.
Tube station adjacent. Longish walk to the British Museum but do-able for those who are fit. Good direct bus service for those who'd rather ride.
We stayed three nights.

Room Tip: Our room was on floor three on the west side of the building. Very quiet.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Gareth B, General Manager at St. Pancras Renaissance Hotel London, responded to this review, 19 June 2014
Thank you for this great feedback. I am delighted to hear you enjoyed your recent stay and found the location to be especially convenient. Kings Cross is one of the best connected locations in Europe, with multiple train and tube lines as well as Eurostar connecting guests with the rest of London, the UK and beyond. Great to hear you enjoyed the character of the Booking Office, which as you say was the original ticket office for the Station. I do hope you were also able to experience our other Food and Beverage outlets: The Platform Café, Hansom Lounge and The Gilbert Scott restaurant? Thanks again for your kind feedback and I do hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (854)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2014

The greats:
Location - it is at the station (St Pancras) so you get great national rail or tube connections.
Food - We stayed 7 nights and did not eat more than once at the hotel, which we thought was over priced. But the area has great food options for inexpensive snacks and packaged food.
Service - The concierge boys are outstanding (if you can shell out a couple or a fiver especially!) They truly help you and make you feel special.
Rooms- super clean, functional and newly renovated. No issues whatsoever. (And I am PICKY)
The not-so-good:
Stench outside the main kitchen
Must ensure you get a WI FI package

PS: Do try the blueberry bonbons at reception- they are addictive :)

Room Tip: Barlow wing is newer.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for this great feedback. I am delighted to hear you enjoyed your recent stay and were especially impressed by the location of the hotel and the service levels demonstrated by the staff. Kings Cross is one of the best connected locations in Europe, with multiple train and tube lines as well as the Eurostar connecting guests with the rest of London, the UK and beyond. So it is a great place for travelers who want to explore the city! Our staff pride themselves on creating memorable experiences for guests so I’m pleased to hear your dealings with the Concierge team were especially impressive. Thanks again for your kind feedback and I do hope to welcome you back in the near future.
Brisbane
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2014

Arrived after a fabulous trip on the Eurostar. A lengthy queue greeted us - they were not prepared for customers. There was lots of "faux" chatter and pretended interest in our plans. Booked two rooms.

One room had so much dust that you could draw on bedside table and a strong smell of mould. We asked for room to be changed and this was done without fuss. However, it was evident the room had not been checked.

Then later in the evening (after 10pm) someone key swiped my door -(the other room). Luckily I had the safety latch on and I pushed it closed as well - saying wrong room!! When I rang the desk I was given the explanation that a maintenance person did not think I would be there and was wanting to leave a note about fixing the phone. Putting a note under the door would have been a better option??

To add insult to injury hefty fee for wifi and no electric jug for tea. An English hotel without tea???? And five star??

No thank you!

• Stayed May 2014
7 Thank SeeCity
Thank you for taking the time to provide this feedback although I am of course concerned to hear you were left disappointed after your recent stay with us. We do have tea and coffee making facilities in all of the bedrooms (which are stored in the wardrobe) and so I am sorry this was not made clearer to you on arrival. We also offer complimentary WiFi in Hansom Lounge so again, I do apologise if this was not explained during your stay. In regards to the other issues raised, I would very much appreciate the opportunity to look into these further and would ask you to contact our Front Office manager on Christian.masters@renaissancehotels.com so we can fully investigate.
Adelaide, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2014

We chose to stay at the St Pancras for 2 nights upon our arrival into London in May 2014 as we were going to Paris by the Eurostar. Fabulous choice by myself. Staff were very friendly; we were a party of 4 female family members and had 2 twin bed rooms. We arrived at the Hotel about 12:30/1pm and were admitted to our rooms immediately which was great having spent 24 hours travelling on planes. Was a little warm upon our arrival and the airconditioning was welcomed! We had a quick bite to eat for tea at the Café on the platform deck but I have to say we were disappointed as the food came out late and a little cold. The hotel offered us breakfast for 2 persons at 30 pounds per room which we thought was a little pricey as we are not big breakfast eaters. On the whole the hotel was fabulous and we all enjoyed our 2 night stay. It was very easy to check out and walk down to the Eurostar train station which has a few cafes and 2 M&S simply food stores. Would thoroughly recommend to anyone especially those who plan to use the Eurostar for travel to Paris!

Room Tip: We had 2 x twin bedrooms (barlow) of which 1 was on the train side and there was absolutely no noise...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for this great feedback. I am pleased to hear you enjoyed your recent stay and were especially impressed by the location of the hotel and its proximity to Eurostar. As you say, having the terminal just moments from the hotel door, makes the hotel the perfect place for those travelling to and from Continental Europe. You may be interested to know, that for those staying in Chambers, we offer a complimentary VIP Valet Service where our staff will meet you on the platform, whisk you straight through security and straight up to your bedroom (or vice versa for those leaving the hotel). Thanks again for your kind comments and I do hope to welcome you back again in the near future.
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2014

What an awesome renovation of this grand old lady. It was well worth walking around to see the public areas that have been restored. The rooms are quite modern in contrast to the public areas. They were well appointed and had all that would be expected of a 5 star hotel. The gym , although a bit hard to find was well equipped. There were a wide variety of restaurants available and the room service was good. The lobby gets quite busy in the afternoons. The service and helpfulness of the staff was excellent.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for this great feedback. I am delighted to hear you enjoyed your recent stay and were especially impressed by the restoration of the building. Good to hear you took a walk around to look at the public areas although would highly recommend you take one of historical tours if you return. Led by a professional historian, these 45 minutes tours give great insight into the building’s past. Thanks again for your kind comments and I do hope to welcome you back again in the near future.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2014

I stayed at the St. Pancras in London June 1-June 4th and it did not disappoint.. the hotel is beautiful, the rooms generous in size, and the service is impeccable. I was even stopped
mid stride on my way to the spa and asked if I needed anything at all from the Hotel Director
of Sales and Service, they practice what they preach. This hotel is located directly next door to
one of the major tube stations as well as the St. Pancras train station in which they share this beautiful renovated building. My only complaint is for this price point I would have expected wifi in the rooms but they do charge for it.

Room Tip: I was given a view of the museum but I would choose a view of the interior of the train station next...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
Thank you for this fantastic feedback. I am thrilled to hear you enjoyed your recent stay and were especially impressed by the level of service you received. All of our associates pride themselves on creating memorable moments for our guests and so I am pleased to hear this was your experience. Thanks again f or your kind feedback and I do hope to welcome you back in the near future.
Stroudsburg, PA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2014

The restoration done to the landmark building is extraordinary. We had the time and priviledge to take the historic tour of the hotel. Our host was Graham, who was by sheer presence, welcoming, historically informative, kept things light, and was an excellent representaive of the hotel. Upon arriving at the hotel through St. Pancras station, one can only behold the planning and grandeur of not just the hotel but what it meant to London itself at the time of its original planning. The concourse of the station is and of itself and adventure. There are shops of all kinds. Fashion, grocers eateries, full service restaurants, coffee shops, news stands. Something for everyone. there's also some incorpaorated art works throughout.
We had reserved a standard king room and were upgraded due to my lifetime platinum status with Marriott to a club king. The room was nicely laid out and of good size. Everything was fresh and clean. The beds were very comfortable. The glass was obviously soundproof or close to it, because despite being on a lower floor (requested) there was virtually no street noise. we were offered an upgrade to a junior suite (I think 120 pounds per night) when we checked in which in retrospect I glad we didn't take. We spent very little time in our room, often returning close to midnight. The staff were top notch all around. Very informative, helpful and very professional in appearance. Many people have made comments in TA reviews about the hotel's location. Nonsense!!! The tubes are right below and it made transport to everywhere in the city a breeze. The area around the hotel is abuzz with new life, and makes travel to the trendy East End very easy. The library is a block away and the British Museum is an easy 5 minute walk. The only downside of the hotel was "Booking Office" restaurant staff. The food was good think upscale bar/pub grub but with flair. The liquor and wine choice were above average. The problem was the staff. Lack of attention even when not crowded, the inability to listen to orders and stage food delivery on not just 1 but 2 occasions. Hosts that tell you to "Go find a table at the end" and still refuse to lead you despite you're request to do so twice.
Bottom line stay at this hotel. It is an experience of a lifetime. Upon our return to London there is no doubt it will be our respite. But don't eat at the "Booking Office". There are 8000+ eateries in London with an incomprarable diverisity andeye for quality. Get out and experience one of the great food cities in the world.

Room Tip: Most people will be given rooms in the newer wing and they're fine. If offered a room in the ol...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank fradel61
Thank you for taking the time to provide this incredibly detailed feedback. I am delighted to hear you enjoyed your recent stay and were especially impressed by the restoration of both the hotel building and the station. You may be interested to know that St Pancras International Station is often referred to as a “Desti-Station” due to the fact that a high proportion of visitors come not to catch a train but to see the space, spend time in its multiple outlets and soak up the atmosphere! I am pleased to hear you found the location to be both convenient as well as full of life. Kings Cross is fast becoming London’s hottest new neighbourhood with the variety of retailers, restaurateurs and bars helping make it a creative hub and attracting the like of Google, Louis Vuitton and Facebook to the area. With so many exciting activities happening in the neighbourhood, we actually have an Instagram account dedicated to promoting the area. Do check out our @WheretheDuck account. Thanks again for your feedback and I do hope to welcome you back in the near future.