“Beautiful hotel, rude concierge”

St. Pancras Renaissance Hotel London
Ranked #203 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed 19 June 2014 via mobile

Sad that I only stayed one night! Right next to King's Cross station. Rooms where large and clean. My only issue was the concierge was RUDE! I asked him how to get to Covent Gardens Piazza, he asked if he could get me a car. I told him, no thank you, I would be taking the tube. As soon as I said I was going on the tube his demeanor changed. He told me to get off at the Covent Garden stop (which was actually closed). I asked him how to get to the piazza from the station, he told me to follow the crowd. Covent Gardens is very crowded and is a popular spot, thank goodness that the people I asked in the street knew where to direct me. Very pretentious and rude man!

Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank heather0423
Gareth B, General Manager at St. Pancras Renaissance Hotel London, responded to this reviewResponded 1 July 2014

Thank you for taking the time to provide this feedback. Whilst I am pleased to hear you found your room to be large and clean, I am very concerned to read your comment regarding this staff member. I would be very grateful if you could contact our Head Concierge on salvatore.bartolone@renaissancehotels.com so we can investigate this further.

Reviewed 18 June 2014

From the moment you step into the lobby you get the feeling that this is somewhere different. The practicalities of having such good transport links and eateries nearby set the foundations for what the hotel builds upon. Full of style and character every aspect of the hotel has an atmosphere of relaxed luxury.

My wife and I stayed in one of the suites in the Chambers Club at the hotel. Richard and his team couldn't have been more helpful during our stay. Nothing was trouble and their proactive attitude enhanced an already excellent stay.

This is one hotel that I would have no hesitation in returning to. In fact its already been recommended to every friend we've spoke to since.

Room Tip: The Chambers Club is a must
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Gareth B, General Manager at St. Pancras Renaissance Hotel London, responded to this reviewResponded 19 June 2014

Thank you for this fantastic feedback. I am delighted to hear you enjoyed your recent stay and were especially impressed by the location of hotel. Kings Cross offers the best transport connections in Europe with multiple train and tube lines joining the area to the rest of London, the UK and Continental Europe. Our associates pride themselves on creating memorable moments for our guests and so I am pleased to hear this was your experience. Thank you for highlighting Rick, who was thrilled to have been recognized personally.Thanks again for your kind feedback and I do hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed 17 June 2014

This Hotel is really a wonderful treat if you are planning on staying in London for a romantic break or with the girlies. Its such a beautiful building and right in the heart of london. I love staying here but wouldn't recommend it if you are on a budget - not for the faint hearted in terms of room rate or food cost. The breakfast is very expensive given you can go down into the station and get similar fare for a fraction of the price. But if you want to splash out, have a little luxury and beautiful food in truly unique surroundings then this is the place for you. I've stayed there about 4 times and its never disappointed. You get what you pay for!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business

Thank you for this wonderful feedback. I am delighted to hear you enjoyed your most recent stay and continue to be impressed by the building. I do hope you have been able to join one of our historical tours on one of your stays? Available complimentary to hotels guests, they really do help bring the incredible history to life. We have recently added some new items to the Booking Office menu, so do ask the team about them next time you visit! Thanks again for your kind feedback and I do hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed 17 June 2014

This Marriott hotel is located inside the walls of the St Pancras railroad station in London. This station is the western terminus of the high-speed Eurostar train that goes under the English Channel to Paris and Brussels, so it's very convenient for those travelers.
There are good restaurants and services of every kind inside the station. The hotel contains The Booking Room restaurant and bar in the room where tickets were sold "back when". The hotel provides all the services common to upper-scale hotels.
The British Library is adjacent for those doing research.
Tube station adjacent. Longish walk to the British Museum but do-able for those who are fit. Good direct bus service for those who'd rather ride.
We stayed three nights.

Room Tip: Our room was on floor three on the west side of the building. Very quiet.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for this great feedback. I am delighted to hear you enjoyed your recent stay and found the location to be especially convenient. Kings Cross is one of the best connected locations in Europe, with multiple train and tube lines as well as Eurostar connecting guests with the rest of London, the UK and beyond. Great to hear you enjoyed the character of the Booking Office, which as you say was the original ticket office for the Station. I do hope you were also able to experience our other Food and Beverage outlets: The Platform Café, Hansom Lounge and The Gilbert Scott restaurant? Thanks again for your kind feedback and I do hope to welcome you back in the near future.

The greats:
Location - it is at the station (St Pancras) so you get great national rail or tube connections.
Food - We stayed 7 nights and did not eat more than once at the hotel, which we thought was over priced. But the area has great food options for inexpensive snacks and packaged food.
Service - The concierge boys are outstanding (if you can shell out a couple or a fiver especially!) They truly help you and make you feel special.
Rooms- super clean, functional and newly renovated. No issues whatsoever. (And I am PICKY)
The not-so-good:
Stench outside the main kitchen
Must ensure you get a WI FI package

PS: Do try the blueberry bonbons at reception- they are addictive :)

Room Tip: Barlow wing is newer.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business

Thank you for this great feedback. I am delighted to hear you enjoyed your recent stay and were especially impressed by the location of the hotel and the service levels demonstrated by the staff. Kings Cross is one of the best connected locations in Europe, with multiple train and tube lines as well as the Eurostar connecting guests with the rest of London, the UK and beyond. So it is a great place for travelers who want to explore the city! Our staff pride themselves on creating memorable experiences for guests so I’m pleased to hear your dealings with the Concierge team were especially impressive. Thanks again for your kind feedback and I do hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed 15 June 2014

Arrived after a fabulous trip on the Eurostar. A lengthy queue greeted us - they were not prepared for customers. There was lots of "faux" chatter and pretended interest in our plans. Booked two rooms.

One room had so much dust that you could draw on bedside table and a strong smell of mould. We asked for room to be changed and this was done without fuss. However, it was evident the room had not been checked.

Then later in the evening (after 10pm) someone key swiped my door -(the other room). Luckily I had the safety latch on and I pushed it closed as well - saying wrong room!! When I rang the desk I was given the explanation that a maintenance person did not think I would be there and was wanting to leave a note about fixing the phone. Putting a note under the door would have been a better option??

To add insult to injury hefty fee for wifi and no electric jug for tea. An English hotel without tea???? And five star??

No thank you!

• Stayed: May 2014
7  Thank SeeCity

Thank you for taking the time to provide this feedback although I am of course concerned to hear you were left disappointed after your recent stay with us. We do have tea and coffee making facilities in all of the bedrooms (which are stored in the wardrobe) and so I am sorry this was not made clearer to you on arrival. We also offer complimentary WiFi in Hansom Lounge so again, I do apologise if this was not explained during your stay. In regards to the other issues raised, I would very much appreciate the opportunity to look into these further and would ask you to contact our Front Office manager on Christian.masters@renaissancehotels.com so we can fully investigate.

Reviewed 13 June 2014

We chose to stay at the St Pancras for 2 nights upon our arrival into London in May 2014 as we were going to Paris by the Eurostar. Fabulous choice by myself. Staff were very friendly; we were a party of 4 female family members and had 2 twin bed rooms. We arrived at the Hotel about 12:30/1pm and were admitted to our rooms immediately which was great having spent 24 hours travelling on planes. Was a little warm upon our arrival and the airconditioning was welcomed! We had a quick bite to eat for tea at the Café on the platform deck but I have to say we were disappointed as the food came out late and a little cold. The hotel offered us breakfast for 2 persons at 30 pounds per room which we thought was a little pricey as we are not big breakfast eaters. On the whole the hotel was fabulous and we all enjoyed our 2 night stay. It was very easy to check out and walk down to the Eurostar train station which has a few cafes and 2 M&S simply food stores. Would thoroughly recommend to anyone especially those who plan to use the Eurostar for travel to Paris!

Room Tip: We had 2 x twin bedrooms (barlow) of which 1 was on the train side and there was absolutely no noise...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for this great feedback. I am pleased to hear you enjoyed your recent stay and were especially impressed by the location of the hotel and its proximity to Eurostar. As you say, having the terminal just moments from the hotel door, makes the hotel the perfect place for those travelling to and from Continental Europe. You may be interested to know, that for those staying in Chambers, we offer a complimentary VIP Valet Service where our staff will meet you on the platform, whisk you straight through security and straight up to your bedroom (or vice versa for those leaving the hotel). Thanks again for your kind comments and I do hope to welcome you back again in the near future.