“Spirit to serve is alive and well!”

St. Pancras Renaissance Hotel London
Ranked #211 of 1,072 Hotels in London
Reviewed 26 July 2014

I work for an Italian company based in Asia. A few weeks ago, late on Thursday evening I arrived in London to apply for an urgent business visa for India – a 1 day process if all goes well - it didn’t!

The application office opened at 09:00 and by 0.915 a very helpful and apologetic lady told me that a minor error meant that I had to reapply online. However, if I did that and resubmitted everything by 11:00 she would still process everything and I could collect my visa at 17:30, in time to go to India the following week. I do not know London, let alone where I could reapply for the visa online, print out the forms, sign them and be back at the application office so quickly.

Then I remembered the Renaissance hotel at St. Pancras. I had never visited or stayed in this hotel but as I walked into the hotel I met Ruggiero, explained my problem and he immediately took me to the business centre. Before I knew it I was back at the application office in time for the 11:00 cut off.

As a frequent traveller I was very relieved and grateful to Ruggiero.

At 17:30 the same day I collected my visa and returned to St Pancras to take the train to Broadstairs where my family live. Having just missed the fast train, I looked round for a place to take a well needed beer. Yes you’ve guessed it - the Renaissance whose bar backs into the station. Whilst enjoying my beer I looked for a socket to charge my then flat iphone. I lifted up a patch in the floor to find a socket with round holes. Then I heard a lady, Christina, say “I don’t know why we have those sockets! Would you like me to charge your phone at reception for you while you have your beer?” Two minutes later she was back, “I’m really sorry, we don’t have any free chargers for the new iphone but if you want to borrow my personal “juice pack” you can charge your phone and just leave it with a member of staff when you go”

On the train to Broadstairs I was able to finish all my calls and reflect on the day’s events.

I have lived and travelled in many countries and never in my life have I experienced the helpfulness and support that Ruggiero and Christina offered - many thanks I am extremely grateful.

To the management of the Renaissance St Pancras, you have two superb members of staff.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Gareth B, General Manager at St. Pancras Renaissance Hotel London, responded to this reviewResponded 29 July 2014

Thank you for taking the time to provide this wonderful feedback. I am so pleased to hear our team were able to help you in your time of need. I am delighted you have highlighted Ruggiero and Christina personally who were thrilled to be recognised. The Spirit to Serve is a vital part of Marriott culture, and the St Pancras team pride themselves on creating memorable experiences for our guests and visitors. Thanks again for your kind feedback and I do hope to welcome you back again soon.

There are newer reviews for St. Pancras Renaissance Hotel London

Reviewed 25 July 2014

Spent 3 Days at the renaissance attending a conference. Booked into the hotel and was allocated a room on the 7th floor. Check in service was very friendly and helpful - I had arrived early in the morning and although my designated room was not ready, they did offer me a different room that had not been occupied (turned it down as I was in no rush).
Comments on room - the façade of the hotel is very grand, but the rooms, at least at the back, are very good examples of "hotel bland chic" - I could have been in any of many hotel rooms in the world. Being on the 7th floor, the window in the room is rather small, giving the room a rather "closed" or pokey feeling even though it benefited from high eaves (being on the top floor). The bed (queen size)was very comfortable and did contribute to a good night's sleep (external noise from passing traffic in the corridor output side the room was not noticeable, but whether this was due to good sound proofing, or low footfall I don't know), bathroom facilities perfectly adequate with decent toiletries provided. Complimentary coffee making facilities also provided which is always welcomed when travelling. Much more frustrating was the lack of complimentary WIFI. Having to pay for WIFI is a shocking omission, especially for a hotel that caters for business and holiday travellers ad that is based in a great city like London.
Food and beverages - hotel provides 24 hour room service.
Overall, comfortable, but unforgettable stay in a hotel that suggests(through its external grandeur) more than it eventually delivers.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank BizHolTravel
Gareth B, General Manager at St. Pancras Renaissance Hotel London, responded to this reviewResponded 28 July 2014

Thank you for this helpful feedback. I am pleased to hear you stayed with us during your recent conference and were especially impressed by the service provided by the Front of House team. I am glad to learn you had a comfortable night’s sleep and found the room’s location to be ideal for a quiet night (a rarity in many city centre locations!). We are proud to offer a variety of accommodation to cater for all tastes, and whilst the Barlow House rooms offer all the facilities expected by the modern traveller, the Chambers rooms do offer a more unusual design scheme, complemented by traditional period features such as floor to ceiling windows and marble fireplaces. Like many other 5 star hotels, do not currently offer complimentary Wi-Fi in the rooms, but it is available in the lobby as well as in Chambers. I do hope to welcome you back in the near future, and would highly recommend taking a look at our Chambers suites which I feel would be well suited to your requirements.

Reviewed 24 July 2014

I stayed at the St Pancras Renaissance Hotel for one night as I was taking the Eurostar out the next morning. This hotel is absolutely beautiful. The outside is amazing and they have done a great job restoring the inside. The public spaces are immaculate. The staff seems to love to show off some of the historic aspects of the hotel such as the stairway (pictured above) and the restaurant.

The rooms though are back behind the pretty stuff in an average hotel-like wing. My room was fine but nothing special compared to the glamour that greets you when you arrive at the hotel. There was a step between the entryway to the room and the main portion of the room with the bathroom being off of the upper portion. Definitely not accessible. My room overlooked an interior courtyard that looks like it holds events but nothing occurred during my stay.

I did not interact much with the staff but checking in and out was easy and the staff helpful. This hotel is the front of St Pancras Station so it is perfect if you are travelling in or out of London by train. There may even be an entrance/exit directly from the interior of the station (second floor) but I went out the front of the hotel, walked a few steps and entered the station from the street side. The hotel is also directly on top of the tube station. Very convenient all around.

I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank sundinkc
Gareth B, General Manager at St. Pancras Renaissance Hotel London, responded to this reviewResponded 25 July 2014

Thank you for this fantastic feedback! I am pleased to hear you enjoyed your recent stay and were especially impressed by the restoration of the building. I do hope you were able to join one of the complimentary tours, which really bring the history of the building to life. As you say, the location of the hotel works perfectly for those travelling by Eurostar, and we do indeed have an exit (from the Booking Office) that leads directly out onto the upper concourse of the station. You may be interested to know that we actually offer a complimentary Eurostar VIP Transfer Service guests staying in Chambers. Thanks again for your kind comments and I do hope to welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed 23 July 2014

I have stayed at this hotel numerous times (all on business.) It is my favorite hotel in London and I try to stay here every time.

Positives:
- Excellent location if you need to travel to multiple parts of great London. It is a few tube stops to the City, West End, and most points in between, and is a major hub for both trains north and most major tube lines.
- It has a great "feel." It is meant to fit into the somewhat new St Pancras train station, and it has the feel of an old Pullman hotel with modern conveniences
- It sits right on top of the station. Not only is this good for transportation, but if you want to grab a small bite to eat, you have easy access to all the cafes and shops in the station
- Excellent gym. ~ 7 cardio machines (and I have never seen them all used) and ~7-8 weights machines + free weights. Gym is not massive, and appears to be open to local members, but I have never seen it packed, even in the winter;
- Breakfast buffet is unbelievably good. If you are a Gold member and have access to this for free, then it is the steal of the century
- Staff is good and helpful
- Wifi is high quality

Negatives:
- If (like me) you like to go for an outside run for exercise, you don't have great options. Regents Park is a two mile run away. Once you get there it is nice, but the run there and back is very crowded and full of traffic. Hotels closer to the Thames or to Hyde Park (or even Oxford Circus) offer better options here.
- It is remarkably difficult to find. Obviously not a problem for repeat visits, but the first time you stay, make sure you have good instructions, especially if you are arriving by tube or train.
- The power outlets in the room are unreliable. About half the time I have stayed, there has been issues. (They are good about fixing it quickly.)
- In the evening, the bar/restaurant in the hotel is packed and very, very, very loud.
- Rooms themselves are nice, but the lighting is inadequate. I have had to use the flashlight function on my iphone to find things, even with all the lights on.

Still, the negatives are very small. Not many comments on the room themselves - they are about what you would expect. Neither good nor bad. Overall, this is a great hotel.

Room Tip: The rooms differ a lot. I prefer the ones up high that face west. this brings in some natural ligh...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Goldenbear96

Thank you for this fantastic and detailed feedback! I am always delighted to hear from our loyal guests and great to learn this your favourite hotel in London! I am pleased to hear our breakfast buffet continues to impress alongside the level of service from the staff team. In regards to your comments about running, do speak with our concierge team when you next return, and they can highlight the path that runs alongside the Regents Canal behind the hotel. It is a great track and perfect for runners. Our Engineering team are currently looking into our lighting options in the bedrooms, including energy efficient lighting and alternative lampshades to provide more light, so I do hope to have an update for you on this next time. Thanks again for your kind comments and I do hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed 23 July 2014

Upon arrival at this recently restored Victorian we were immediately impressed by the décor and obliging staff. Having stayed at many hotels throughout London I have learnt to reserve my judgement until arriving at the room as so often the lavishness is reserved for the reception area alone. I was however very pleased to discover that at the St Pancras Renaissance the luxury was consistent throughout, the bedroom and ensuite were both spacious (London hotel rooms can sometimes be described as little more than shoeboxes) and the facilities that you would expect were all of an obvious high quality. We spent the evening at the ticket office restaurant were again we were impressed by the attentive staff and the quality of food, wine and entertainment. All in all and very enjoyable experience

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Jason C

Thank you for this fantastic feedback! I am delighted to hear you enjoyed your recent stay with us and were especially impressed by the attentiveness of the staff. The team pride themselves on creating wonderful memories for our guests, so I am pleased to hear this was certainly your experience. Great to learn you were able to spend sometime in the Booking Office bar and restaurant, the original tickets office for the train station. I do hope you were able to try one of our infamous Victorian inspired punches?! Thanks again for your kind comments and I do hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed 21 July 2014

We held our wedding here, which was superbly organised and we would unreservedly recommend the hotel for those thinking of doing the same. Sticking to the room, we had a Chambers Suite for our wedding night and it was out of this world. Spacious, comfortable, and with a sense you were somewhere very special. Comfortable bed and great bathroom, even if absence of door for when you're using the toilet is a bit odd. Breakfast in Chambers Club great too. A great place and fantastic memories.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for this fantastic feedback. I am delighted to hear your wedding ran so smoothly and the building now holds such special memories for you both. Wonderful to hear you enjoyed your night in Chambers, as you say, the range of luxury suites are perfect for wedding couples! Thank you again for these great comments and I do hope to welcome you both back (perhaps for your anniversary!) in the near future!

Reviewed 21 July 2014

We stayed 2 nights. The location is special - obviously great for Eurostar, and there's the buzz of being close to a busy station, with a great selection of restaurants and shops. The renovations and refurbishments make for an interesting and exciting ambience. The staff's attitude is warm, helpful and attentive. We did have a problem with inaccurate advice from the concierge, but took this up in our feedback to the hotel management. The room was fine, nothing special given the price, and very poorly lit; the bathroom was better lit. Small problems with plumbing and a missing light bulb - nothing major, but at the price and the 5 star rating disappointing to find lack of attention to detail. Also, when we arrived for breakfast at the published start time we found that it was still being set up, which delayed us. All this we fed back to the management and got a prompt response. Without the location we probably wouldn't bother to use it again.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for this helpful feedback. Great to hear your kind comments regarding the hotel’s location and the level of service you received from the staff. I am pleased to hear my management team have already been in touch regarding your other comments and I do hope we are able to welcome you back in the near future.