“Adequate, But Uninspired”

St. Pancras Renaissance Hotel London
Ranked #212 of 1,075 Hotels in London
Reviewed 31 July 2014

This is a Marriott, and while the public areas are truly beautiful, the rooms (at least the one I had) are lacking in character and hardly what I would consider to be at a luxury standard. It was an adequate Marriott room, of the type to be found at any Marriott from Indianapolis to, apparently, London. While chain hotels exist for consistency, when you're paying a London premium for a supposed five-star stay, it would be nice not to feel like you might just as well be at the O'Hare Marriott. The bed was comfortable enough, the linens were fine...it's a Marriott, so you expect that level of consistency with their other properties. But there is certainly nothing "boutique" about the hotel, and I would not classify it as a luxury hotel. The level of service (impersonal, somewhat brusque, somewhat disinterested) alone would keep it out of that category, regardless of the quality of the rooms.

Perhaps the experience is different in a different room or different area of the hotel. I believe I was in a modern addition to the hotel, as it had no interesting architectural features. One of the main issues I had was, while I had paid for a Premium room, what I got was a Premium room that was wheelchair accessible. That's an issue in the bathroom, because it means the room has no real shower - just curtains around an area of the floor with a showerhead. It also means the counters are very low, which makes them difficult to use if you're not in a wheelchair. When I called to ask if they had another room, the front desk said "Oh, didn't anyone mention that when you checked in?" No. No, they didn't. And then I was told they would check for another room and let me know. Never heard back, and was never moved. So I ended up paying a premium for a room with a bathroom that I couldn't really use very well.

The conference facilities were nice, and, as mentioned, the public areas are lovely. The only food I had at the hotel was as part of the conference catering, and it was adequate given those circumstances - nothing extraordinary.

The staff, as mentioned, was fairly indifferent. When I walked out of the hotel on departure with a suitcase, the doorman ignored me (as the doorstaff had every time I walked in or out of the hotel), so that I had to ask for help getting a cab. He did it, sure, but if you're claiming to be a luxury hotel, your doormen should probably bother asking someone with a suitcase if they require any help, rather than pretend not to see them until they ask for something.

The fact is that you're not likely to get out of London without paying through the nose for a hotel. And if I'm paying London rates, then there are much better, more interesting, more luxurious choices than the St Pancras Marriott. It's fine. It's a Marriott. But everything special about it can be experienced for free by walking into the lobby and looking around for a few minutes.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Cameron K
Gareth B, General Manager at St. Pancras Renaissance Hotel London, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2014

Thank you for taking the time to provide this detailed feedback. As part of our association with Marriott International, we are proud to be recognized worldwide as one of the leading hospitality companies, renowned for our ‘spirit to serve’ philosophy on which the company was founded. As a Renaissance Hotel, we strive to be a working example of the brands motto ‘Live Life to Discover’ by offering guests a number of memorable experiences throughout their stay: including the live music events we host throughout the year. And with the St Pancras brand, we are thrilled to provide our guests with a number of completely unique products and services, from the incredibly restored building itself to our signature own label St Pancras beer or exclusive VIP Eurostar Valet Service. Whilst I am pleased to hear you were impressed by the public areas, I am of course disappointed to read your other comments. In regards to rooms, we offer a variety of options across both Barlow House (the modern extension) and Chambers (the original Victorian part of the building). The differences between the rooms, are highlighted as much as possible, with Barlow House rooms, offering all the facilities a modern traveler requires but at a lower price point than the more distinctive Chambers suites. I am very sorry to hear about the room allocation confusion and would welcome the opportunity to hear more about this, so we can investigate fully. If you would like to discuss further, please do contact our Front of House Manager on Christian.Masters@renaissancehotels.com. Thanks again for your comments and I do hope to hear from you soon.

Reviewed 30 July 2014

When I first saw photos of this hotel, I thought it was typical that unrealistically amazing photos were posted. To my surprise, reality surpassed what I saw in those photos.

This hotel, perfectly incorporated into the St. Pancras international rail station, is a must see landmark and even has its own historic tour.

It really helps if you're a platinum marriott member (there is another exclusive section of the hotel called chambers club with beautifully appointed luxury rooms. Only folks that stay in these rooms or platinum members have access to the chambers club lounge where the attentive butler staff pamper you and cater to your every need...and really treat you like family).

"Booking Office" the hotel bar/restaurant is a happening place most nights and has great live performances on the weekends starting thursday night.

Most of the regular hotel rooms are clean and neat, but mediocre and don't match the beauty of the rest of the property, but there are a few very cool rooms some with multiple arched windows. Another negative feature is the gauntlet of large butler photo posters in the hallway to the hotel rooms, that really detract from the look and ambience of the hotel...they really should take those down.

This hotel has the look and feel of a (large) boutique hotel, and is "class" redefined.

Room Tip: There are a limited number of non-chambers-club rooms that face the station (a real treat if you can...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank David C
Gareth B, General Manager at St. Pancras Renaissance Hotel London, responded to this reviewResponded 31 July 2014

Thank you for this fantastic feedback. As you say, the building is magnificent, and making sure the product and service we offer inside the hotel, match the expectations set by the exterior is no mean feat! But it is something we are proud to achieve time and time again and your kind comments are a testament to this. Great to hear you were able to enjoy the exclusive Chambers Club and were so impressed by the level of service provided by the team. Thank you again for your kind comments and I do hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed 29 July 2014

My husband and I stayed one night on 7/27 prior to an outbound trip on Eurostar to France the following morning. Cost for one night was $882 that is a huge amount of money for NOTHING! Surely the management realize that some people are staying to make a trip to France by train from St Pancras station, after all the building is the old trai. Station?! Well we got an early train and because we needed to leave the hotel by 6.00am there were NO breakfast facilities and NO hot water for a shower.
They even had the audacity to charge for WiFi access, who charges for wifi in hotels these days and at $880+ a night that is appallingly cheapskate.
So we left the hotel hungry having had cold showers and feeling totally ripped off. Will NEVER stay there again. Next time we go to France in the train we will look elsewhere for accommodation! Renaissance Hotels you should be ashamed!

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
7  Thank Jo A

Thank you for taking the time to provide this valuable feedback. I am very concerned to hear you were disappointed with your recent stay and would appreciate it if you could contact our Operations Director on Edward.White@renaissancehotels.com so we can look into this further. We do offer a breakfast-to-go service for our customers leaving in the early hours and I am sorry this was not highlighted to you. We do of course have hot water available 24/7, and so it would be good to know if you reported the issue, as our staff are always available to help with any concerns. We pride ourselves in offering a luxury product and impeccable service at great value within the 5 star luxury market. As I say, I would very much appreciate the opportunity to hear about your experience in more detail so do hope to hear from you soon.

Reviewed 28 July 2014

Our family of six stayed for many nights. We had a wonderful time, it was outstanding.
The staff was friendly and the accomadations exceeded our expectations.
Breakfast was especially enjoyable in the Booking Room.
The location next to the Tube provided us with quick access to London.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for this great feedback! I am delighted to hear you and your family enjoyed your recent stay with us and were especially impressed by the level of service provided by the staff. We love to welcome families to the building, and have a variety of products and services to delight and surprise children of all ages. Most recently, in celebration of the school holidays, we introduced a complimentary Mocktail which we offer to all children dining with their parents in the Booking Office. Thank you again for your kind comments and I do hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed 28 July 2014

My husband and I have been to London many times and have stayed at a different Marriott or Hilton property every time. This was far and away the best to date and I would not hesitate to return to it. The service was impeccable right from the beginning of the stay and never wavered. The room was very clean (super important to me personally). We only breakfasted at the Chambers room as our stay was short, although we did have cocktails in the same room the evening before. Again, the service was amazing - friendly and efficient. One of the staff members was excited and passionate about the history of the building itself, which added to our enjoyment of the evening. The hotel is beautiful - a perfect blending of the old and the new. Should you choose it, please walk around and take photos! You won't be disappointed.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Coppertop21
Gareth B, General Manager at St. Pancras Renaissance Hotel London, responded to this reviewResponded 29 July 2014

Thank you for this fantastic feedback, I am pleased to hear you enjoyed your recent stay and consider it the best you have had at a London hotel! Great to hear you thought the service was impeccable and the building offered a great blend between old and new. Lovely to hear you took some time to take some photos of the space. Do share them via our social channels (Facebook, Twitter and Instagram) and tag us @StPancrasRen! Thanks again for these kind comments and I do hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed 28 July 2014

I stay in a lot of hotels and write a lot of Tripadvisor reviews that I hope give realistic gradings. Certainly, I seldom give a top rating so 5 out of 5 says that I found the St Pancras hotel very, very good in all ways.

This is the second time that I have stayed at the hotel but only for 1 night on each occasion. For both visits I was allocated a room in the "new" section of the hotel which is not quite the same as the older historic section but perfectly adequate. The room was well furnished with a comfortable bed, good bedding, coffee making facilities and unusual in my experience they had thought about the technology needs of today's guest and fitted a good "technology box" with power outlets, USB ports, etc right next to the desk. On countless occasions I have had to string power cords across room, crawl behind beds looking for an outlet or work remote from the desk so it is very good to see a hotel that has thought about current working practices. The bathroom was well set out. My only concern was the shower over the tub - not the arrangement itself but that the tub was deep and a little slippery and I was seriously concerned about falling while stepping out. I was also disappointed that the coffee provided was instant. Even the most down market US hotel provides a coffee maker with real coffee. The room was a bit dark but that encouraged sleep inspite of the different timezone so was more of an asset than a concern.

Others have complained about the cost of wifi but as a higher tier Marriott points member it was complimentary for me. While I cannot comment on the cost I believe that wifi should always be complimentary especially in hotels that already charge a substantial tariff.

I ate breakfast in the Booking Office cafe and it was very good. I love the way that the restaurant is set out and the historical aspects of the space, the food was excellent and the staff are terrific (more about them later).

This visit was over a weekend when complimentary tours are available. I would recommend that anyone who has the chance takes one of the tours because you get to see parts of the hotel that are not open to ordinary guests such as some of the suites and to hear the history of the building. It was very well done.

The hotel public areas are truly beautiful - great sweeping ceiling in the reception area, wonderful tiling and great care taken in decorating in the same style as the original designs. Everything is well cared for and fitting for such a grand old building. The reception area in particular is lovely with a traditional afternoon tea offered and when I was there a violinist to entertain the tea drinkers.

I used the gym which was well equipped for a hotel with modern equipment in good condition.

Finally, a few words on the staff. Whoever is responsible for training the hotel staff does an outstanding job. They are obviously taught how to engage guests to make them feel individually valued and they do such a good job of it. Every one of the staff exceeded my expectations for this type of interaction. In the cafe there was at least one staff member whose only job seemed to be to walk around chatting with guests, asking about their plans for the day and where else they had travelled. It was a masterly public relations exercise that everyone loved. The bell staff were helpful as were the receptionists and again seemed to be trained in engaging guests and making them feel special. Such a nice change from the overly busy, brisk staff in many other hotels.

I love this hotel and would highly recommend it to travelers who can appreciate the history and the excellent service and amenities.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Jane E

Thank you for this fantastic feedback. I am delighted to hear (especially from a regular Tripadvisor reviewer!) that your stay with us was so perfect. I am so pleased to learn you were able to join one of the complimentary historical tours and also enjoy breakfast in the Booking Office. Great to read your wonderful comments about our staff. The team pride themselves on creating memorable experiences for guests and so I am delighted to learn this was certainly your experience. Thanks again for your kind comments and I do hope to welcome you back again in the near future.

Reviewed 26 July 2014

I work for an Italian company based in Asia. A few weeks ago, late on Thursday evening I arrived in London to apply for an urgent business visa for India – a 1 day process if all goes well - it didn’t!

The application office opened at 09:00 and by 0.915 a very helpful and apologetic lady told me that a minor error meant that I had to reapply online. However, if I did that and resubmitted everything by 11:00 she would still process everything and I could collect my visa at 17:30, in time to go to India the following week. I do not know London, let alone where I could reapply for the visa online, print out the forms, sign them and be back at the application office so quickly.

Then I remembered the Renaissance hotel at St. Pancras. I had never visited or stayed in this hotel but as I walked into the hotel I met Ruggiero, explained my problem and he immediately took me to the business centre. Before I knew it I was back at the application office in time for the 11:00 cut off.

As a frequent traveller I was very relieved and grateful to Ruggiero.

At 17:30 the same day I collected my visa and returned to St Pancras to take the train to Broadstairs where my family live. Having just missed the fast train, I looked round for a place to take a well needed beer. Yes you’ve guessed it - the Renaissance whose bar backs into the station. Whilst enjoying my beer I looked for a socket to charge my then flat iphone. I lifted up a patch in the floor to find a socket with round holes. Then I heard a lady, Christina, say “I don’t know why we have those sockets! Would you like me to charge your phone at reception for you while you have your beer?” Two minutes later she was back, “I’m really sorry, we don’t have any free chargers for the new iphone but if you want to borrow my personal “juice pack” you can charge your phone and just leave it with a member of staff when you go”

On the train to Broadstairs I was able to finish all my calls and reflect on the day’s events.

I have lived and travelled in many countries and never in my life have I experienced the helpfulness and support that Ruggiero and Christina offered - many thanks I am extremely grateful.

To the management of the Renaissance St Pancras, you have two superb members of staff.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business

Thank you for taking the time to provide this wonderful feedback. I am so pleased to hear our team were able to help you in your time of need. I am delighted you have highlighted Ruggiero and Christina personally who were thrilled to be recognised. The Spirit to Serve is a vital part of Marriott culture, and the St Pancras team pride themselves on creating memorable experiences for our guests and visitors. Thanks again for your kind feedback and I do hope to welcome you back again soon.