“Top Notch”

Ranked #193 of 1,067 Hotels in London
Durham UK
“Top Notch”
Reviewed 1 August 2014 via mobile

I am a Marriott Platinum member & have stayed in some pretty nice properties but this one is up with the best.
It is in a great setting above St Pancras station & is perfect for being able to access London via the Underground.
The only slight drawback is that it is more often than not very expensive to stay here however in future I will always check rates at this hotel for my weekly trip to London on the off chance that sensible rates are on offer

Stayed August 2014
Gareth B, General Manager at St. Pancras Renaissance Hotel London, responded to this review, 4 August 2014
Thank you for this great feedback. I am always pleased to hear from our loyal Marriott members, and am delighted to hear you consider St Pancras one of the best hotels you have stayed in. As you say the proximity to the station and multiple underground lines, makes it the perfect location for exploring London and beyond. Do keep an eye on both the website and our social media channels to be kept updated on our special offers. Thanks again for your kind comments and I do hope to welcome you back again soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (875)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 1 August 2014

A rather disappointed stay after 8 nights with the hotel. The staff have been nice and helpful but not the management. Unpleasant customer experience after sending comment to the mangement who merely offer an upgrade for next stay, which shows lack of sincerity given an unlikely stay in the future. Great concern about the standard of cleanliness and quality reasonably to be expected from this type and price of hotel.

1. The cup is dirty
2. The hair dryer is broken
3. Unauthorised card payment
4. A dollar-sized hole on the pillow
5. The bathroom is found with leftover of patisseries
6. Own water and food were gone
7. Personal belonging is misplaced
8. The room key is discarded and couldn't get into the room
The problem was addressed to the management and only a Head Housekeeping made an effort to oversee the condition but there wasn't feedback after.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
5 Thank Cfa C
Gareth B, General Manager at St. Pancras Renaissance Hotel London, responded to this review, 21 August 2014
Thank you for providing this further feedback. I am of course very disappointed to read your comments especially as I felt we had addressed your feedback immediately after you raised it with us upon check-out. Our Head Housekeeper, made it a priority to speak with you personally and took full responsibility for the in-room issues raised. I also know that our Front of House Manager was in touch with you and it was our understanding following this correspondence that you were satisfied with our response. I am sorry if this was not the case and I trust you feel that following my recent email to you, we have made amends for any short comings you experienced.
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 31 July 2014

This is a Marriott, and while the public areas are truly beautiful, the rooms (at least the one I had) are lacking in character and hardly what I would consider to be at a luxury standard. It was an adequate Marriott room, of the type to be found at any Marriott from Indianapolis to, apparently, London. While chain hotels exist for consistency, when you're paying a London premium for a supposed five-star stay, it would be nice not to feel like you might just as well be at the O'Hare Marriott. The bed was comfortable enough, the linens were fine...it's a Marriott, so you expect that level of consistency with their other properties. But there is certainly nothing "boutique" about the hotel, and I would not classify it as a luxury hotel. The level of service (impersonal, somewhat brusque, somewhat disinterested) alone would keep it out of that category, regardless of the quality of the rooms.

Perhaps the experience is different in a different room or different area of the hotel. I believe I was in a modern addition to the hotel, as it had no interesting architectural features. One of the main issues I had was, while I had paid for a Premium room, what I got was a Premium room that was wheelchair accessible. That's an issue in the bathroom, because it means the room has no real shower - just curtains around an area of the floor with a showerhead. It also means the counters are very low, which makes them difficult to use if you're not in a wheelchair. When I called to ask if they had another room, the front desk said "Oh, didn't anyone mention that when you checked in?" No. No, they didn't. And then I was told they would check for another room and let me know. Never heard back, and was never moved. So I ended up paying a premium for a room with a bathroom that I couldn't really use very well.

The conference facilities were nice, and, as mentioned, the public areas are lovely. The only food I had at the hotel was as part of the conference catering, and it was adequate given those circumstances - nothing extraordinary.

The staff, as mentioned, was fairly indifferent. When I walked out of the hotel on departure with a suitcase, the doorman ignored me (as the doorstaff had every time I walked in or out of the hotel), so that I had to ask for help getting a cab. He did it, sure, but if you're claiming to be a luxury hotel, your doormen should probably bother asking someone with a suitcase if they require any help, rather than pretend not to see them until they ask for something.

The fact is that you're not likely to get out of London without paying through the nose for a hotel. And if I'm paying London rates, then there are much better, more interesting, more luxurious choices than the St Pancras Marriott. It's fine. It's a Marriott. But everything special about it can be experienced for free by walking into the lobby and looking around for a few minutes.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Cameron K
Thank you for taking the time to provide this detailed feedback. As part of our association with Marriott International, we are proud to be recognized worldwide as one of the leading hospitality companies, renowned for our ‘spirit to serve’ philosophy on which the company was founded. As a Renaissance Hotel, we strive to be a working example of the brands motto ‘Live Life to Discover’ by offering guests a number of memorable experiences throughout their stay: including the live music events we host throughout the year. And with the St Pancras brand, we are thrilled to provide our guests with a number of completely unique products and services, from the incredibly restored building itself to our signature own label St Pancras beer or exclusive VIP Eurostar Valet Service. Whilst I am pleased to hear you were impressed by the public areas, I am of course disappointed to read your other comments. In regards to rooms, we offer a variety of options across both Barlow House (the modern extension) and Chambers (the original Victorian part of the building). The differences between the rooms, are highlighted as much as possible, with Barlow House rooms, offering all the facilities a modern traveler requires but at a lower price point than the more distinctive Chambers suites. I am very sorry to hear about the room allocation confusion and would welcome the opportunity to hear more about this, so we can investigate fully. If you would like to discuss further, please do contact our Front of House Manager on Christian.Masters@renaissancehotels.com. Thanks again for your comments and I do hope to hear from you soon.
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 30 July 2014

When I first saw photos of this hotel, I thought it was typical that unrealistically amazing photos were posted. To my surprise, reality surpassed what I saw in those photos.

This hotel, perfectly incorporated into the St. Pancras international rail station, is a must see landmark and even has its own historic tour.

It really helps if you're a platinum marriott member (there is another exclusive section of the hotel called chambers club with beautifully appointed luxury rooms. Only folks that stay in these rooms or platinum members have access to the chambers club lounge where the attentive butler staff pamper you and cater to your every need...and really treat you like family).

"Booking Office" the hotel bar/restaurant is a happening place most nights and has great live performances on the weekends starting thursday night.

Most of the regular hotel rooms are clean and neat, but mediocre and don't match the beauty of the rest of the property, but there are a few very cool rooms some with multiple arched windows. Another negative feature is the gauntlet of large butler photo posters in the hallway to the hotel rooms, that really detract from the look and ambience of the hotel...they really should take those down.

This hotel has the look and feel of a (large) boutique hotel, and is "class" redefined.

Room Tip: There are a limited number of non-chambers-club rooms that face the station (a real treat if you can...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank David C
Gareth B, General Manager at St. Pancras Renaissance Hotel London, responded to this review, 31 July 2014
Thank you for this fantastic feedback. As you say, the building is magnificent, and making sure the product and service we offer inside the hotel, match the expectations set by the exterior is no mean feat! But it is something we are proud to achieve time and time again and your kind comments are a testament to this. Great to hear you were able to enjoy the exclusive Chambers Club and were so impressed by the level of service provided by the team. Thank you again for your kind comments and I do hope to welcome you back in the near future.
Ashwell, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 July 2014 via mobile

My husband and I stayed one night on 7/27 prior to an outbound trip on Eurostar to France the following morning. Cost for one night was $882 that is a huge amount of money for NOTHING! Surely the management realize that some people are staying to make a trip to France by train from St Pancras station, after all the building is the old trai. Station?! Well we got an early train and because we needed to leave the hotel by 6.00am there were NO breakfast facilities and NO hot water for a shower.
They even had the audacity to charge for WiFi access, who charges for wifi in hotels these days and at $880+ a night that is appallingly cheapskate.
So we left the hotel hungry having had cold showers and feeling totally ripped off. Will NEVER stay there again. Next time we go to France in the train we will look elsewhere for accommodation! Renaissance Hotels you should be ashamed!

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
7 Thank Jo A
Thank you for taking the time to provide this valuable feedback. I am very concerned to hear you were disappointed with your recent stay and would appreciate it if you could contact our Operations Director on Edward.White@renaissancehotels.com so we can look into this further. We do offer a breakfast-to-go service for our customers leaving in the early hours and I am sorry this was not highlighted to you. We do of course have hot water available 24/7, and so it would be good to know if you reported the issue, as our staff are always available to help with any concerns. We pride ourselves in offering a luxury product and impeccable service at great value within the 5 star luxury market. As I say, I would very much appreciate the opportunity to hear about your experience in more detail so do hope to hear from you soon.
Reviewed 28 July 2014

Our family of six stayed for many nights. We had a wonderful time, it was outstanding.
The staff was friendly and the accomadations exceeded our expectations.
Breakfast was especially enjoyable in the Booking Room.
The location next to the Tube provided us with quick access to London.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for this great feedback! I am delighted to hear you and your family enjoyed your recent stay with us and were especially impressed by the level of service provided by the staff. We love to welcome families to the building, and have a variety of products and services to delight and surprise children of all ages. Most recently, in celebration of the school holidays, we introduced a complimentary Mocktail which we offer to all children dining with their parents in the Booking Office. Thank you again for your kind comments and I do hope to welcome you back in the near future.
Naples, Florida
Reviewed 28 July 2014

My husband and I have been to London many times and have stayed at a different Marriott or Hilton property every time. This was far and away the best to date and I would not hesitate to return to it. The service was impeccable right from the beginning of the stay and never wavered. The room was very clean (super important to me personally). We only breakfasted at the Chambers room as our stay was short, although we did have cocktails in the same room the evening before. Again, the service was amazing - friendly and efficient. One of the staff members was excited and passionate about the history of the building itself, which added to our enjoyment of the evening. The hotel is beautiful - a perfect blending of the old and the new. Should you choose it, please walk around and take photos! You won't be disappointed.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Coppertop21
Gareth B, General Manager at St. Pancras Renaissance Hotel London, responded to this review, 29 July 2014
Thank you for this fantastic feedback, I am pleased to hear you enjoyed your recent stay and consider it the best you have had at a London hotel! Great to hear you thought the service was impeccable and the building offered a great blend between old and new. Lovely to hear you took some time to take some photos of the space. Do share them via our social channels (Facebook, Twitter and Instagram) and tag us @StPancrasRen! Thanks again for these kind comments and I do hope to welcome you back in the near future.