“Gorgeous and convenient”

St. Pancras Renaissance Hotel London
Ranked #211 of 1,076 Hotels in London
Reviewed 23 August 2014

Stayed here only one night on our way to Paris. The convenience of the St Pancras station is obvious, but this is as well appointed hotel, staffed very capably and room sizes much larger than the London average. Would absolutely stay again, especially with a family.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Gareth B, General Manager at St. Pancras Renaissance Hotel London, responded to this reviewResponded 27 August 2014

Thank you for these fantastic comments! I am thrilled to hear you enjoyed your recent stay with us and were especially impressed by the proximity to the Eurostar, which as you say, makes it ideal for those travelling on to Continental Europe. You may also be interested to know that we offer an exclusive VIP Eurostar Transfer Service which is complimentary for those staying in Chambers. It is great for those staying with families as offers a seemless and smooth escorted journey from your seat to your suite! Thanks again for your kind comments and I do hope to welcome you back (with your family!) in the near future.

Reviewed 22 August 2014

Location is very central and in case of a pop yo the shops the station has it all.
The hotel is a wonderful building and has great charm.
Staff was great and the breakfast was one if the best I had in London.
My room as comfortable and although I was close to a lift I had a peaceful night sleep.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo

Thank you for these fantastic comments! I am thrilled to hear you enjoyed your recent stay with us and were especially impressed by the restoration of the building. As you say, the proximity to the station, makes it the ideal location for shopping, with a variety of great British brands on the doorstep including Fortnum and Mason, Jo Malone, Links of London and Thomas Pink. Thanks again for your kind comments and I do hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed 21 August 2014

Of course the architecture is absolutely superb and the location is second to none, adjoined to St Pancras station and next to Kings Cross.

However, the hotel itself is so absurdly expensive for what are quite standard rooms, and absolutely nothing is included in the room rate. We had to pay extra for Wifi and £4 for bottled water!!! (which is in the minibar but not complimentary). Movies cost around £16 to view and we couldn't even sit in the main lounge unless we spent at least £12.50 on drinks. The breakfast was nice but absurdly expensive - £26 for a fairly standard full English fry-up. And it took 40 minutes to arrive at our table. For room service you have to pay a "tray charge" (I think it was £4) plus 12.5% service charge.

We decided not to pay the £100 per night fee to use the Chambers bar, and I couldn't believe there were "public" areas of the hotel that you couldn't access without paying extra. The spa looked nice, but be warned - use of the spa facilities can set you back up to £345 (180-minute "Silk Route Spa Journey").

In short, the fact that every little thing cost a fortune really ruined our stay. For the sake of giving us some complimentary water and Wifi, and allowing us to relax in the lounge without paying, we would have left with a much better impression of the hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms are standard hotel rooms that you'd find in any Mercure, Thistle or Premier Inn. Don't...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank VauxhallCross
Gareth B, General Manager at St. Pancras Renaissance Hotel London, responded to this reviewResponded 21 October 2014

Thank you for taking the time to provide this feedback. I am delighted to hear that you were impressed by the restoration of the building and the convenience of the location. I am of course disappointed to hear your comments regarding prices. We are proud to offer a luxury product and service that provides great values within the 5 star London market. Just to clarify, we do offer complimentary WiFi both in the Chambers rooms and in the lobby, and a reduced rate of £7 for use in the other bedrooms. Breakfast items in the Booking Office start from £6, and include ‘The Full English’ for £16 as well as the ‘Great British Breakfast’ buffet for £26. Spa treatments start from £15 with our signature ‘Journey’ treatments from £155. Thank you again for your comments and I do hope to welcome you back again in the near future.

Reviewed 21 August 2014

Stayed here for a business meeting and to entertain a customer and family, coming from all areas, so location worked very well.

Service is 5 Star, Decor is 5 Star. Rooms are 5 Star.

Great Gym and Pool facility open al hours.

Bar area is amazing. First class service, ended up eating in Bar too, food was very good indeed.

An amazing Hotel which I would strongly recommend.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business

Thank you for these fantastic comments! I am thrilled to hear you enjoyed your recent stay with us and would strongly recommend us to friends and family. Great to hear you were able to make the most of the various facilities including the Gym, Pool and Booking Office bar. Thanks again for your kind comments and I do hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed 19 August 2014

This hotel is very convenient for Kings cross trains etc and the lobby area is lovely. Beyond the lobby it is no different to any other branded hotel. The Barlow room we stayed in was quiet, clean and perfectly good - but not luxurious. The superior rooms may well be characterful but you will need to pay a lot more.
We booked a room for 3, 2 adults and a 12 year old, through expedia for £189 for 1 night. When we got there at 10pm, we were told there was an extra £60 charge for the child as he would need a roll away bed. We got to speak to the night manager who explained the hotel does not have triple rooms so charges extra for the roll away. I cannot understand why we were firstly given a room for 3 if they don't have suitable rooms and also why we were not told of the extra charge at the time of making the initial payment. We paid for a room for 3, yet were told we booked a double room and had to pay 30%extra for the child after we got there. The night manager was very understanding and after a protracted period agreed to waive the charge. This notwithstanding, the roll away bed was awful. One could feel every wire of and under the mattress. My 12 year old has been to hotels all over the world and found this the worst bed to sleep on. Told us this the next morning so we could not do anything about it - hence this review for anyone with children - you will need to pay a hefty extra charge and the bed is awful. Location for trains is a big plus and can see why it's great for business travellers and will probably go back when travelling for this purpose. Not one for the family sadly.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank 2014Jay2014

Thank you for taking the time to provide this feedback. I am delighted to hear that you were impressed by the restoration of the building and the convenience of the location. I am of course disappointed to read your other comments. We are always thrilled to welcome families to the building and have a number of initiatives in places to ensure children of all ages feel welcome. We provide complimentary beds for children under 12 as well as cots for infants. We offer our younger guests children’s dressing gowns, and a St Pancras blanket for babies. In the spa, we have dedicated times set aside for families to enjoy the pool facilities and in the Booking Office, we offer a selection of mocktails which teenagers enjoy sipping on at the bar. Our Navigators at the Concierge desk are always happy to offer recommendations to keep kids entertained and with their numerous contacts across the city, can help secure the best deals and offers. I am sorry to hear about your issue with the extra bed. It is explained on Expedia that a 3rd bed can be booked but at an extra cost and we are working with the team there to ensure this is made clearer. Should you wish to discuss further, please do contact our Front Office Manager on Christian.Masters@renaissancehotels.com. Thank you again for your comments and I do hope to welcome you back again in the near future.

Reviewed 17 August 2014

I have stayed here several times over the last year. The public areas, bars, lobby and restaurants are some of the most impressive in London. Similarly the location is excellent with obvious ready access to St Pancras, Kings Cross and Euston, but the City and West End are easily accessible by cab or tube. The rooms a basic Marriott-style and, certainly for the rooms at the year of the hotel, once you are in and close the door you could be in any branded hotel anywhere in the world. Bars and restaurants are expensive but access to the Chambers Club can help alleviate this,

Room Tip: The larger, more characterful rooms at the front of the hotel can get a lot of street noise.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank TheBard2014

Thank you for these kind comments. I am always delighted to hear from a return guest and pleased to learn you consider the public spaces at the hotel, amongst the best in London. We are proud to offer a variety of room types including those in Barlow House, which offer all the facilities expected by the modern traveler, as well as 38 Victorian style suites in Chambers, which offer more dramatic design schemes in keeping with the heritage of the building. As you say, access to the Chamber’s Club, which offers complimentary breakfast, afternoon tea/evening canapés and a range of alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks throughout the day, is one of the many benefits offered to those staying in Chambers. Thank you again for your feedback and I do hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed 17 August 2014

I was always planning to stay at this beautiful hotel and finally got a chance to see how good it is. From the moment you arrive, and I did by car, I was very warmly greeted, my luggage and car were taken care of, and I was taken to the reception where the staff spoke my language and were super welcoming. They upgraded me to a very nice suite looking at the Euston road and the hotel entrance. However, I heard no street noise at all. I enjoyed every minute of my stay there. While the hotel is basically part of the St Pancras Station, you do feel very isolated from it and very secure at this historic building. At the same time, it is nice to have that station next door because you need only 5 mins to get from your room to the Paris train. Also, the station/hotel has excellent restaurants and bars. and finally the station has plenty of shops you might need including a Foyles bookshop. I am definitely coming back.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business

Thank you for this fantastic feedback! I am delighted to hear you enjoyed your recent stay with us and were particularly impressed by the arrival experience. Great to hear you appreciated the upgraded room and enjoyed its positioning overlooking the building’s facade! As you say, for those travelling from Continental Europe via the Eurostar, the hotel couldn’t be better positioned, ad you may be interested to know that we offer a complimentary VIP Eurostar Transfer Service for those staying in Chambers. Thank you again for your kind comments and I do hope to welcome you back in the near future.