“Impressive Kings Apartments, accessible history”
Review of Kensington Palace

US$42.27*
Big Bus London Hop-On Hop-Off Tour
Ranked #171 of 1,695 things to do in London
More attraction details
Owner description: Once the favored home of kings and queens, this royal residence, redesigned by Christopher Wren for William and Mary in 1689, was home to Princess Diana, and today features the Court Dress collection.
Reviewed 12 August 2014

I was not expecting much given previous reviews of this site. However there was a good amount to see, and interesting artefacts from a number of monarchs. To be fair I used my membership of Historic Royal Palaces to enter and so didn't pay, but I think definitely worth paying a reasonable amount to look around this historic palace.

Gardens are nice and plenty of refreshment options

1  Thank likest0travel

Reviewed 12 August 2014

Loved the history of the Palace. The story of Victoria and Albert. The fashion section of the displays.

1  Thank Maree H
Reviewed 11 August 2014

The palace is quite a distance from the drop off point of our bus. This was a minor problem for me as I use a scooter for mobility. The access to the palace itself is excellent. After entering you are escorted to an elevator and do the tour in an against the flow manner. We especially enjoyed the fashion exhibit showing dresses worn between 1950 and 1980 by Queen Elizabeth and Princesses Margaret and Diana. The rest of the palace is various rooms decorated according to who lived there. We enjoyed this visit.

2  Thank NurseNancy2
Reviewed 11 August 2014

As part of a four day visit to London we decided to visit Kensington Palace, which was easily reached from our hotel in Russell Square. We bought our tickets at the hotel which gave us a discount off the price and also enabled us to get in via the fast track. Our visit took place on 6th August 2014. The various members of staff that we came into contact with were all very polite and well versed in the extensive history of the Palace. The lives of Victoria and Albert came alive as did my realisation of the effects that they had on our lives. It was a great pity that Albert died so young; it was interesting to speculate how his ongoing energy and ideas could have further influenced modern day life. The sadness of his untimely death and its devastating effect on his widow Victoria was clearly illustrated. This is truly a visit that will delight the history buffs as well as people who are interested in the way history has shaped today. If your desire is to view lots of artefacts brought together by previous owners during their travels etc. you will be disappointed, it is just not that sort of attraction. Photos can be taken anywhere as long as flash is not used. The cafe, in common with many in this type, was not cheap but sold good quality items. The grounds were not spectacular, but they felt as if they were lived in and I'm sure the sunken garden would be a haven to while away time in. It is an attraction well worth visiting.

3  Thank jab070139
Reviewed 11 August 2014

I visited KP on 10th Aug 2015.The overall impression was a good modern well run museum(as you would expect with historic royal palaces)But my main gripe is, it was all to much dresses and dressing up.Fine if you like that kind of thing and many do,but I just got the impression it was all aimed at young women rather than a broader mix.Maybe I just went on the wrong day.