“Pompeii exhibition so worth a visit, totally amazing”
Review of British Museum

Ranked #1 of 1,675 things to do in London
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: A museum of the world, for the world. Discover over two million years of human history and culture. Some of the world-famous objects include the Rosetta Stone, the Parthenon sculptures and Egyptian mummies.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed 6 April 2013 via mobile

Although it was busy the timed entrance helps, we did think that the audio units were not worthwhile as the writing at each display said enough, this is the second exhibition we have been to at the British Museum, they certainly know how to do them well Done to all the staff.

There are newer reviews for British Museum

Reviewed 6 April 2013

So much history to gaze upon, truly is stunning to see such a collection... That's if you can see it! I have been so many times before but made the mistake of going during the easter half term. There was a lot of people crowding around outside which took me a while to realise it was the line to get in! Luckily it went down in seconds, but I felt I was a member of a stampede. Not my ideal of a relaxing trip to a museum. Not that it was the museums fault!

Once through the door, you met by bag searches (did not effect me because I did not have a bag) but a little daunting never the less! A lot of shoves and pushing from left right and centre. Tad annoying. All this ignored once reaching the great hall! What a site! I admire that roof much! The light is beautiful. Madness going on left right and centre because people are trying to book the pompeii exhibition and ice age shows. Did not even considering it with the queue! Went into every room but the Egyptian after life was the worst room off all. I Literally had to bite my tongue because everybody seemed to be so inconsiderate. I had people stepping on my toes, elbows in my ribs... pushed, shoved and cameras rammed past my head in a hope to get a picture. No one could truly stand there and admire the objects in front of them in fear of being knocked over!

Be careful not to get lost amid the crowds of group visits. They do not make way for anyone, I lost my friend for a good couple of minutes. The shops have a great selection of books and other goods. Food areas were too busy for my liking (no seats available, people sitting on floor) so went to eat outside of the museum.

Leaving was a nice sigh of relief, sad to have cut the visit short.

The museum is lovely never the less, credit to those involved. Nice to see them busy but it was too busy !

2  Thank kirsty p
Reviewed 6 April 2013

The Pompeii exhibition was totally sold out on the day of our visit and as a result it was difficult to see the exhibits properly. In some areas the lighting on the texts relating to the exhibits was in shadow (probably owing to the number of visitors pouring over the cases)

The selction of post cards relating to the exhibition was very limited which was disappointing.

3  Thank 444MargaretG
Reviewed 6 April 2013

Selling entrance tickets for entry every 10 minutes proved a mistake and allowing Museum members entry at any time exacerbated this error - the exhibition was packed making it difficult to see the exhibits. Having a 10 minute long video introduction at the start resulted in a bottle-neck which did not let up. It was difficult to see the exhibits, but if one waited one could marvel at the wonderful sights. The Audio Guide was an unexpected unwelcome extra expense, on top of the £15 per adult tickets, which meant only my partner could afford to hire one. As it turned out, the information on the guide was almost exactly what was on the display plaques, so not worth the £4.95 extra. There were only four small benches throughout the exhibit; as I have painful mobility problems this meant I was in agony by the time we left after 2 hours. Be warned, it will hurt anyone with disabilities for which standing and moving will induce pain.

It is worth a visit, if you are interested in the history of these two cities, and the information available is interesting and well-presented. You should be forewarned however, overcrowding will make it unpleasant if not! Overall, worth a visit if forewarned, but it feels badly organised, displayed and rushed to be presented to the public. It will take something extremely special for me to buy tickets to a special exhibit at the British Museum again.

Reviewed 6 April 2013

We visited London for the 3rd time, but we never took the time to visit the British Museum. When we were in London on 23rd of March it was snowing almost the whole day. We went for plan "B" and visited the British Museum in stead of the shops and we were not disappointed. Even if it was crowded (many people had the same idea) the museum is so big that you never have the feeling that there are too many visitors. The audio guide is very interesting and the "Elgin Marbles" should defenitely remain at the BM, in stead of going back to Athens. I doubt that the Greek authorities will have the means to present them in such a wonderful way.

1  Thank frank1930Zaventem