“Good value, great location”

Thistle Holborn, The Kingsley
Ranked #184 of 1,068 Hotels in London
Manchester UK
“Good value, great location”
Reviewed 7 September 2012

Functional, clean and comfortable - exec rooms larger than average for London with restrained but upto date furnishings and decoration. Not the lap of luxury but very comfortable and clean.

There was a very nice bar just off the lobby that had a good menu available until late into the evening - decent enough venue for a drink after an evening out.

Location was great with Covent Garden and Theatre land a stones throw away plus you have two tube stations only 3 or 4 minuts walk away. You can be on the South Bank in a 15 minute stroll via Embankment.

We'll definitely be back for any theatre trips.

Room Tip: One thing to note was that the rate including breakfast that we were offered worked out at something...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
Paul K, General Manager at Thistle Holborn, The Kingsley, responded to this review, 17 September 2012
Dear Reviewer, Thank you for your feedback, I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. The hotel does have a great location for theatres as well as being a couple of minutes from The British Museum. I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future. Kind regards, Paul Knightley General Manager The Kingsley by Thistle

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (410)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Navan, Ireland
Reviewed 6 September 2012 via mobile

I recently stayed here as I picked up a deal on a late booking website.

The hotel is located within 5 minutes of Holborn tube station and has countless buses passing outside. My room was very spacious as was the bathroom. My bed was very comfortable but if I had one fault it would be that I found the pillows to be very hard and lumpy. I like a soft pillow. Decor in the room was perfect and desk was large enough to work comfortably on with laptop and files open. My room had all the things one expects from a modern hotel with the exception of wifi, this was an extra. Complimentary water (sparkling and still) in the room every day.
I didn't use the restaurant or bar so cannot comment on them. Hotel staff were extremely friendly to the point that I felt that they knew me.
I would recommend the hotel and would definitely stay here again.

Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
Dear Reviewer, Thank you for your feedback, I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. With regards to pillows we do have a range of softer pillow options available, please Just Ask and we will arrange for you! I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future. Kind regards, Paul Knightley General Manager The Kingsley by Thistle
Durham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 September 2012

Stayed here with my wife on an overnight trip to London so we could see a show. Very impressed with this hotel and I would definitely stay here again. Really well presented hotel throughout, staff very pleasant and helpful, nice bar area, rooms decent sized for London, breakfast buffet also very good. The brassiere restaurant is somewhere I'd try if I stayed again as it looked very nice and had a 3 course meal offer for £20. Location also very good, just round the corner from the British Museum, walking distance (20 minutes) to both Kings Cross and the Theatre area.

Only slight criticisms - the air con was very loud when switched on but it wasn't hot enough in the room to need it overnight, also the bed was on the firm side but not so much that we couldn't get to sleep.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear Reviewer, Thank you for your feedback, I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. We are currently in the process of putting mattress toppers on all of our beds to make them softer. I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future. Kind regards, Paul Knightley General Manager The Kingsley by Thistle
New York
Reviewed 4 September 2012

The Kingsley is easily accessible by tube and multiple bus lines right in front of the hotel. It was very easy to get around so it was a huge plus. I stayed there with my family and the rooms were modern and clean. Some of the rooms are seem smaller than others, I think it depends on which part of building you are located. The beds were relatively comfortable and the heated towel rack in the bathroom was convenient. The only small complaint I have is that the check-in time is at 2PM but one of our rooms was not ready until 4PM. Other than that, I thought it was lovely hotel and would consider returning.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
Paul K, General Manager at Thistle Holborn, The Kingsley, responded to this review, 5 September 2012
Dear Reviewer, Thank you for your feedback, I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. I have passed your feedback to the Front of House Manager to investigate the delay in getting your room. I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future. Kind regards, Paul Knightley General Manager The Kingsley by Thistle
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 September 2012

This was an excellent outcome as a result of clicking 'secret hotel' on a popular hotel finding website.After being slightly anxious about what I might have booked The Kingsley turned out to be winner. From the really helpful and informative undergraduate South African receptionist who was working with Thistle as part of his placement on a hospitality degree, to the bar host who ensured we enjoyed the benefit of a drinks offer, the staff were responsive, friendly and warm. The room was comfortable, spacious and well maintained. I will stay again and perhaps have enough time in the morning to discover the quality of the breakfasts too.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
Dear Reviewer, Thank you for your feedback, I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and that Anthony was able to assist you at the Front Desk. I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future, and hopefully next time you will be able to enjoy breakfast also! Kind regards, Paul Knightley General Manager The Kingsley by Thistle
derbys
Reviewed 2 September 2012

Executive king room was very large even with a camp bed for my daughter. Very clean and nicely decorated. Bathroom was immaculate along with a full size bath. Will be recommending to all my customers.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
Dear Reviewer, Thank you for your feedback, I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future. Kind regards, Paul Knightley General Manager The Kingsley by Thistle
bristol
Reviewed 31 August 2012

We booked directly with the hotel's website, which gave us the best price. I was travelling with my son, so we booked a twin. The room was spacious, light and very clean; the bathroom was big for a London Hotel, both recently renovated. Beds were a tad close to each other, but we easily moved them a part and were comfortable. View from window was the back of the hotel, so not brilliant. Staff were helpful and friendly. Great location for; theatres; Soho; Convent Garden and Oxford St, which meant we didn't need to use public transport. You can purchase vouchers the previous evening for breakfast for £10; instead of £20, I don't think any breakfast is worth that; £10 seemed steep. But it was okay, a choice of english; continental; fresh fruit; juices and cereals. The coffee was awful. But next door in the Church court yard is a coffee vendor, who does great coffee and worth a visit.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
Dear Reviewer, Thank you for your feedback, I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. I have passed your comments concerning the coffee to the Food and Beverage Manager to investigate. I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future. Kind regards, Paul Knightley General Manager The Kingsley by Thistle