“Great base in Bloomsbury”

Thistle Holborn, The Kingsley
Ranked #209 of 1,076 Hotels in London
Reviewed 10 June 2014

This is a lovely hotel - it has a lot of character so while the decor is modern it sympathetically incorporates the (late) Victorian style. We stayed on a Sunday night which afforded a very good deal. The hotel is ideally sited for British Museum and Seven Dials/Covent Garden, which is what interested us.

The hotel staff were very attentive, polite and welcoming. A nice touch for me was that while my husband was completing check-in another receptionist went over and called the lifts so they would be there ready for us. After checking out, I found I had left something in my room. The hotel located the item and handed it over in minutes.

The room was smartly decorated, with plenty of storage, tea/coffee facilities, TV and usual, including an ironing board, which always puts my husband at ease (not that he does much ironing!). Our bathroom had a rainfall shower head which was lovely to use. We had no view really - mostly we looked out onto a brick wall, but you know, it didn't matter. I would be very happy to come back to this hotel again.

Room Tip: If you can afford it, go for a deluxe room.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Wisewoman65
Write a ReviewReviews (2,382)

Reviewed 10 June 2014

My wife and I stayed for 1 night last weekend. We were in London to celebrate my Wife's Birthday.
The hotel was a 20 minute walk away from London Euston and 15 minutes away from the theatre where we watched the Lion King. This enabled us to not require the use of the tube or buses etc.
On arrival at the Hotel we were upgraded to an Executive King room and very quickly checked in.
The room was spacious and modern.
The hotel had left a birthday card and chocolates for my wife. Great touch.
The bed was comfortable and the bathroom had all the required amenities.
The breakfast the next morning was excellent. Buffet style, you even had the choice of different bacons and sausages.
All the staff we interacted with were friendly and helpful.
I would certainly be happy to stay again in future.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank imbrugliasboy
Sudhanshu R, Relationship Manager at Thistle Holborn, The Kingsley, responded to this reviewResponded 20 June 2014

Dear guest,

Thank you for your kind feedback following your recent stay at Thistle Holborn, The Kingsely.
Your favourable comments about the hotel’s location, food and most importantly the staff and service are highly appreciated.
I look forward to welcome you soon.

Sincerely

Reviewed 5 June 2014 via mobile

This is a nice, clean, comfortable, and friendly hotel. The front desk was very nice. I forgot to print a Voucher for a tour and the man at the front told me to email it to the hotel (which I did from my phone) and he printed it right away.

The room is spacious and comfortable. It was quiet and we had a nice time sleeping.

The shower door is only half way across so the water gets on the floor. The water pressure is a little strange in the shower. It's fine and then all of a sudden, it goes extremely weak for about 60 seconds. Then it comes back for about 5 minutes.

Overall, it's a good hotel. The location is great and many places to dine near by in Covent Garden and Holborn. The breakfast is expensive at the hotel so we didn't eat there. We did order room service and got sandwiches and they were just ok.

• Stayed: June 2014
Reviewed 5 June 2014 via mobile

Well maintained old hotel very near Holborn tube and Tottenham Court Rd. Nicely decorated with pretty spacious rooms, good breakfast and bar area. Would definitely recommend as it's easy to get around London from

Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 4 June 2014

Another stay in London and once more I tried a different place to stay. I knew the Thistle Holborn from a few years back and remembered it as a solid mid range hotel with a bit of wear and tear. I was surprised, however, as they have revamped the place since my last stay and the result is very pleasing to the eye. Warm lobby, everything fresh and clean, including the room. Staff was friendly and smiling and seemed to enjoy their work. The hotel is in a great location near the British Museum and very handy for public transport (bus station in front of the hotel). I would stay there again, I liked it that much. Only minor criticism: I had a first floor room and the window could not be opened. The fear of guests falling to their deaths from a first floor window was probably not as big on the owners' mind as the danger of burglars coming in. Still, I would have preferred fresh air to the A/C.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
4  Thank OliverJavert

Dear Guest,
Thank you for choosing to stay with us again, reviewing us and most importantly recommending us. I am glad most aspects of our product and services meet your requirements and expectations. Your point of windows being able to open is duly noted, we do have some rooms where the window can be opened and there are some rooms where we are unable to. May I recommend expressing your preference on your next visit and we shall honour it.
I look forward to welcome you soon.
Warm regards

Reviewed 1 June 2014

We stayed at the Kingsley for one night following a visit to see Les Mis. It couldn't have been better located. The staff were friendly and the room was ok if a bit small. The bathroom was modern and very clean. There was even gluten free toast available at breakfast, it was a pity the tea and coffee at breakfast were not better. I prefer using a self service bean to cup machine for coffee, which are usually available with a breakfast buffet.

Room Tip: Room 21 was a bit stuffy but you can open the window slightly.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sunsetbonce

Dear reviewer,
Thank you so much for staying at Thistle Holborn, The Kingsley and taking time out to share your experience.
It’s a pleasure to know you found the location of the hotel ideal you for your requirements and staff friendly. I am sorry to learn you found the room size a bit small and a bit stuffy. We do have different category of rooms available including approx 30sqm Executive rooms and up to 40sqm Junior Suite. Please also accept my apologies for the Tea/Coffee not being up to your satisfaction at breakfast, your suggestion is duly noted.
I look forward to welcome you soon in near future.
Kind regards
S Rathee

Reviewed 31 May 2014

We have just returned from another short stay in London.We again stayed at the Kingsley which is perfectly placed for visiting Covent Garden and the west end.The staff were extremely friendly and helpful and the room was very clean and provided all we required for a short break.Breakfast is buffet style and is excellent and the restaurant staff can't do enough for you.Sonia remembered us from our previous visit in October which does show a real personal service which in a large city hotel is pretty impressive.I would thoroughly recommend the hotel and look forward to our next visit .

Bryan Smith

Room Tip: We stayed in a junior suite with our 15 year old son and there was plenty of room
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Bryan S
Sudhanshu R, Relationship Manager at Thistle Holborn, The Kingsley, responded to this reviewResponded 31 May 2014

Dear Mr Smith,
Thank you for returning to Thistle Holborn, The Kingsley.
It’s a pleasure to learn you had a brilliant stay. Again! Sonia is a real asset to the hotel. Its great she made an impression on you. Thank you for recommending us.
I look forward to welcome you back soon.
Warm regards