We chose this hotel because of it's location and it's lack of pretentiousness. It is not a "luxury, see and be seen" place, rather it seemed to us that it's popularity is primarily as a base-camp. The staff was friendly and we were upgraded to a Junior Suite with a King-sized bed (Room 306) which was a nice touch. The bedroom was large and functional and the bathroom was modern and updated. We were never able to get the towel rack to heat but we didn't report it as it wasn't important to us.
The second room in the suite had an additional television, a couch, two chairs and a cocktail table. The bonus was the walk-in closet, although eight clothes hangers for two people staying for over a week wasn't enough.
We paid for breakfast in our room rate but after the first two mornings we went elsewhere for breakfast. Their breakfast buffet was fresh but mediocre and although it was never busy you had to wait to be seated. We arrived one morning at one minute to seven and were told that they did not open until seven but they would do us a "special favor" and let us sit down early. (huh?)
We had lunch in the bar the first day we were there and the chicken in the club sandwich was dry and crusty around the edges and the fries served with it were cold.
Overall, this hotel is a good value for the money but don't expect anything above average. Stay there for the location and the economy but take your meals elsewhere and be aware that this is a no-frills place.
Lastly, this is pretty weird but our room was haunted or something. The faucets in the bathroom turned on by themselves, with no one in there on two different occasions and the television in the sitting room came on by it's self one evening. Twice during our stay we woke up and found that both thermostats had been turned to the off position and the room felt stuffy. There was nothing scary about it and it didn't really bother us but it was a bit on the strange side.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Following a recent extensive £10 million restoration and refurbishment program at the hotel, every area of the hotel has been transformed – our bedrooms have been completely modernised with a contemporary design and vibrant soft furnishings. Our public areas reflect the new contemporary style but retain elements of the hotel’s traditional Edwardian features. London landmarks like the British Museum and Covent Garden and Oxford Street are within easy walking distance. Just five minutes from Holborn and Tottenham Court Road Tube Stations. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Ebookers, TripOnline SA, Lastminute, HotelsClick, 5viajes2012 S.L., HotelQuickly, Evoline ltd and Cancelon so you can book your Thistle Holborn, The Kingsley reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Kingsley By Thistle Hotel London
- Kingsley By Thistle London
- Thistle Bloomsbury
- Kingsley By Thistle Hotel London