“Very nice hotel but the staff ?”

The Langham, London
Ranked #41 of 1,063 Hotels in London
Leeds
“Very nice hotel but the staff ?”
Reviewed 6 June 2012

The hotel is lovely, good position for getting around London.
We had a nice room (one of the updated ones) nothing really to complain about just a bit small, nice decor but very small bathroom.
One of the downside of our stay was the Artisan bar, we went there before we went for a meal to Roux at the Laundau (that is in another review) we ordered drinks my husband a beer and myself a cocktail, this took over 15 minutes to get to us as the bar man was too busy chatting to two women at the bar. When my cocktail came it tasted like an ashtray, it was disgusting we stated this to the bar manager and he said it should taste like that but they did remove it and not charge us for it. I then asked for a Bellini which I always like, yet again ages for it to arrive and when it came it was just a small glass of fruit juice I could not taste any alcohol at all and it wasnt fizzy like a bellini should be so they had obviously put very little if any prosecco in it, this also went back and in the end I had a glass of champagne but when the waitress brought the glass and asked me to taste it she turned away and mumbled "In case you dont like this either" as if it is my fault the barman cant make a decent cocktail! We quickly drank up and went to have our meal.
If the bar was better and some of the staff not so rude then we would go back but as it is at the moment we wont.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank NooLeeds
langham08, Manager at The Langham, London, responded to this review, 7 June 2012
Dear NooLeeds,

Many thanks for your review of The Langham, London, I'm so glad you enjoy the hotel and found the location ideal.

Apologies for the service experienced in Artesian, the matter is being investigated. It seems the first cocktail you ordered was our 'Oye Mi Canto' which contains Mezcal which is the equivalent of Islay whiskies and has a smoky taste. For the convenience of our guest we now provide a Cocktail Flavour Map in all our menus.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (539)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
india
Reviewed 5 June 2012

I haven't done this often, writing a review before completing my stay, but am checking out tomorrow, so I think it,s ok.
We chose this as my husband had stayed in newer rooms when on work, and loved it, but that was sometime back.
Few mistakes we made is not asking for a room in the newer section. Although we did ask for a renovated room on check in and were told that the one we were allotted was.
The young lady helping us took me to show me some options, which was basically a suite, so much larger, but done up in the same outdated olden fashion, at 250 pounds extra a night, and our current room, so we chose the allotted room.
We had called and asked for a room with two queen beds but apparently only a smoking one was available when we checked in.
The room is has two single beds joined to make a double, and a rollaway bed, with some space. between the two beds. There are two big chairs and a regular tv on a chest of drawers in front of
the beds, so there is no place to walk there at all. The only place to walk is when you enter the room and the passage, also having the bathroom, leads to the beds. The reservation
confirmation says the club room 583, is 33sq mt, looks smaller to me, but not sure, could be also, just looks cramped.
The room is clearly decorated in what was considered opulent in earlier times, in terms of the decor, curtains, carpet etc, and even the ac controls are very old, with only options of low,
medium and high and no temperature control.
The bathroom is spacious with a bathtub, but no, though there are mixer taps, they are separate taps for hot and cold, and not a single mixer tap where u can set the tap at the temperature you
want.
The most inconvenient and irritating part for me though, was that it is a huge trudge to my room.
Like when I have my 2 and half year old daughter in a stroller, and tons of shopping bags, like I
did yesterday, I take a very sweet elevator fro the road level to the lobby, then a another elevator from the lobby to the first floor, then walk open one door, hold it open push the stroller through, and get to another elevator, to the 5 th floor. Get out , go through another set of doors to get to the corridor of our room! Very very irritating.
Now if you are wondering, why I did not insist on changing my room, here are the reasons; first, anyone travelling with 2 kids knows that even if you have unpacked one fifth of your bags, it is a nightmare to get everything back again. Secondly after landing tired, jet lagged with two cranky children, all one wants is a bed and sleep and, no energy to argue and explain
The biggest positive is the club lounge, which is really really nice, lively, kids play with other kids, breakfast is not elaborate but great!! Lots of fresh berries, egg, sausages, cheeses, salmon, toast cereal, u possibly can't eat more than that!
Also one can go for a drink or bite anytime, they have jars of chocolates, kids love it and so do we! We would be a lot worse off and unhappier without it!
Needless to say the location rocks!! Just can't get better!
Beds are comfortable and room though overlooking Regent street is not noisy at all.
We decided to stay here because my husband earlier had stayed many times on work, and loved the rooms, as it must have been one of the newer rooms, done up modernly, with great toileteries and as I said location can't be beaten.
Also toiletries in this room are very very basic and am glad I carried shampoo and shower gel for my 2 year old.
Would I stay here again? Don't know, isn't an immediate yes for sure, the biggest negative being the outdated decor and long trudge to my room.
Otherwise service is good, pleasant enough, no real complains.
But definitely stay here if your priority is location, location and location.

Room Tip: See many rooms before choosing.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank lm1900
langham08, Manager at The Langham, London, responded to this review, 8 June 2012
Dear lm1900,

Many thanks for your review and it was wonderful having you stay with us recently.

I'm so glad you made good use of our Club Lounge and I do hope our staff that assisted with your bags helped make you feel more at ease with your room. We do have family rooms; you may find these a better fit for a future stay.

We hope to be welcoming you back in the near future.
Red Deer, Canada
Reviewed 4 June 2012

We stayed twice at the Langham in London recently. From the moment we arrived we were treated with the utmost care and attention. We were staying on a high floor and there was a strange, convoluted way to access the fitness facility and pool involving several elecators but it is worth the effort to get there. Our rooms were small but nicely decorated and the location is perfect for walking to Oxford Street or to Regent's Park in the opposite direction. The service is superlative. When we arrived back we were welcomed like long lost family. A delightful place to stay in London.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank rdabca
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 3 June 2012

I was amazed by the hotel atmosphere; I felt I was in my pink dreams. At my first arrived to the hotel, I noticed the fresh soft smell and the beautiful flowers in the lobby in addition to the welcome smile of the staff. The hotel location is perfect; most of the main streets are closed by. The service was excellent, at first I was not satisfied with the room size which I booked as it was too small for two people, but the lady who showed me the room suggested an upgrade with a reasonable rate.
Thank you for Langham Hotel, definitely I will visit the hotel again.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank mirhir1
westchester, NY
Reviewed 25 May 2012

Very comfortable beds, fresh flowers in the room, a good location; great if you can get a discount. Breakfast and tea in the hotel are wildly overpriced. The door men in particular are really helpful, and the concierge can get tickets for places for which you might otherwise have to queue (like the tower of London). The family rooms, unusually for London, have two queen beds and so accommodate 4 people, with a bonus good view of the All Soul's Church across the road. Very spacious rooms, again unusual for London, a nice place to come home to after a day's work or touring.

Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 25 May 2012

We stayed in langham from April 22 to 26, 2012. I am glad our family stayed in the Langham. The kids enjoyed our stay and they cant wait to go back. We did not wait very long to br checked in especially after 14 hrs of flight we want to rest. Breakfast ok because you have a choice to order hot choco or different kinds of coffee ( late, espresso, capuccino, etc).
The staff in the restaurant were very attentive to our needs. Special mention Noel the Filipino waiter in the restaurant i was going down with a flu and served me hot soup with bread! Went to bed early the next day am up and about. He madd sure there is rice for breakfast. They saw i love strawberries and without me asking they served me strawberries for dessert. I also enjoyed the spa! looking forward to going back. Hopefully sooon...

• Stayed April 2012
Florida
Reviewed 24 May 2012

We spent 5 nights at The Langham in April, having just arrived from the States. It is a lovely hotel, wonderful service and beautifully appointed rooms. The food was excellent, staff very accommodating, especially for my husband's Celiac requirements. I can't think of a negative thing, our room was spacious and perfect for us, and we appreciated the large and well appointed bathroom.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple