“Very disappointing -Olympics is time to impress, not exploit” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Langham, London

The Langham, London
Ranked #47 of 1,089 Hotels in London
Sydney, Australia
“Very disappointing -Olympics is time to impress, not exploit”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2012

My experience of the Langham during the London Olympics was very similar to that of jc path (see review of 20 August). I was staying at the hotel during the Olympics as a full paying guest (room cost of GBP552+ VAT) but not with Coca Cola so treated like second-class guest. Although we booked the week before the Olympics commenced there were many good hotels available at better rates, I and two work colleagues booked "Executive Club" rooms at The Langham on our booking agent's recommendation.

The hotel required prepayment of the entire stay with no refunds for cancellation shortened stay. Whilst I would not usually agree to this I accept that hotels were in high demand during the Olympics. Shortly before I departed for London and about a week after the booking I received a letter from the Langham advising of "special arrangements" to accommodate a corporate client. It did not make clear that half of the hotel, including the reception (non-Coke guests were required to use a makeshift "reception" tucked away on the second floor) and both the Palm Court ("The centre piece of the hotel") and the Artesian (the "source of indulgence"!) were off-limits to full-paying non-Coke guests. We were also harassed for our Coke accreditation by the "bouncers" on the front door, who demanded room key and ID when we explained for the umpteenth time that we were just plain old full-paying guests.

Given that we've moved on from the Olympics and putting all that aside, what about the hotel? The positives: It's in a great location, easy walk to great shopping, Piccadilly Circus, Regents Park etc; the Executive Club has pretty good food and staff were friendly and helpful (and I think slightly embarassed about the "special arrangements"); the rooms are comfortable and well-equipped, although very poorly lit. The not so good: Restaurants and room service are ridiculous expensive, even for "5 star" (beware the compulsory service charge and further "tray charge" on top inflated room service charges; overall the hotel is overpriced for what it offers.

Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
8 Thank Chris B

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (528)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2012

This was our 2nd stay at the Langham and chose this based on our past experience. The experience was fantastic apart from the service at breakfast (think we were forgotten on this occasion since last visit we were raving about the service and selection of foods offered). Overall we had a friendly welcome from the outset with the doorman and then from reception, our room was available even though we arrived early. We had a more modern room than our first visit which was a bonus which included most of the amenities that you would expect from a hotel of this class and some thoughtful features such as US and continental power points as well as a power socket in the safe (although this wasn't working). The only suggestion I have would be to supply iPod docking point.

We a had a really good stay and would thoroughly recommend it.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Gazza_269
new york/beirut/dubai
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2012

I stayed at The Langham for nine nights during the Olympic Games. The Langham had essentially given the hotel to Coca Cola for the entirety of the Olympics and so during my stay I could not:

- use the front door
- enter the lobby
- use the bar
- use the restaurants
- go to the garden area

The gym was a giant advert for some Coke sponsored workout beverage that replaced the usual fresh juice.

Grim-faced guards ordered me to show a room key AND a Langham identity card when entering and exiting via a back door, even after I had been there a week! One day, management said they must "escort me" through the lobby to go speak to the front desk. What a humiliation.

I was forced to exit via a back door and walk through the rain to get a taxi (no use of the front entrance for us non-Coke guests). I had to meet friends and colleagues at a budget pizza restaurant across the street since the lobby was off-limits!

When the lift stopped working towards the end of my stay I had to use the freight elevator. Whatever. I didn't even notice it any more.

The busy-body management was well aware of how unpleasant it was to stay there during this period, but the best anyone would do was a falsely cheerful "how are you today?" while running to make sure Coke was happy. They should have given the whole hotel to Coke. I must say that I did get since apologies from the lower level staff who were embarrassed by the arrangement.

Whoever made the decision to take other guests without telling us that they would be treated as second class citizens probably made a lot of money for the hotel. I just don't get it...

• Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
9 Thank jc_path
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2012

We stayed here in June for one night. On arrivalk the hotel staff were attentive, friendly and helpful.

Our room was lovely, very tastefully decorated, tea & coffee making facilities and extremely comfortable bed.

Our rate included breakfast in the palm court, this is a really lovely setting for breakfast, though my only critism is that the tables are too low to eat at and are better used for the afternoon tea that is served in the plam court.

I would recommend this hotel and would have no hesitation in staying here again, the location is perfect for shopping and the theatre, yet is quiet and the hotel restaurant Roux at The Landau is very good indeed.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank LMR29
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2012

We came to Langham for drinks, and we were not disappointed!! The bar staff were very accommodating and service was excellent. The atmosphere was great, and they played some nice music too. A really lovely visit and I would recommend to anyone,we will certainly be coming back on a regular basis when in town. A true delight!!!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
Nanjing, China
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2012

Rooms were extremely well appointed, as was all other parts of the hotel. The staff are fantastic, nothing is too much trouble. They were extremely welcoming and accommodating. Food was fantastic; we had afternoon tea which was very special. Stayed with our 3 year old son and again, the staff very much welcomed him into the hotel also. Can't recommend this hotel highly enough and although we have stayed in 2 other Langhams (HK and Shanghai), the London Langham is the best by a mile.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Sebastian12345678
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2012

Central, hip bar, the most beautiful flowers in every area! And Regent Street on your doorstep. I'd live at the Langham if they'd let me. Discreet staff and personalized service. For a short or long stay- this is the best.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled solo