The Stafford London
Ranked #24 of 1,078 Hotels in London
Reviewed 19 July 2011

Order a Tanqueray 10 Dry Martini and circumnavigate the American Bar at The Stafford looking in wonderment at the World War Two memorabilia, and more, that adorn the walls of this fine establishment. Eat and drink outside in the sheltered courtyard on a sunny day in London before visiting the many historic shops in nearby St. James'. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: June 2011
StaffordHotelGM, General Manager at The Stafford London, responded to this reviewResponded 21 July 2011

I am delighted that you have discovered our gem of a bar. Ben and his team are well known for their Martini's and are very happy for guests to add to our collection of memorabilia at any time.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,213)

Reviewed 7 July 2011

The Stafford is very well located in the heart of old London and in easy walking distance to the main attractions and shopping areas. We stayed in a suite in the main house which was spacious and unbelievably peaceful given the location. A little bit stuffy (ie no shorts allowed in the bar despite it being 30 degrees when we were there) but that's probably to be expected from a traditional London hotel. Would highly recommend.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jacks0nFamily
StaffordHotelGM, General Manager at The Stafford London, responded to this reviewResponded 8 July 2011

Thanks for your post. I'm glad you enjoyed the peace and quiet of our unique location and we all look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 3 July 2011

We stayed at the Carriage House annex during one of the snows in December 2010. I brought my 12 year old son. i did not think that the hotel was particular kid-friendly, even they were certainly not hostile. It just seemed to me that they were prefer to have adults, rather than children. I really did not like the Carriage House. You had to go outside and negotiate icy and dark cobblestones and metal steps. There was no effort to light the way or escort us. The snow was cleared but not the ice. The courtyard through which we passed had no charm as the hotel used it to park cars, which I thought was inexcusable for a 5-star hotel. Maybe our stay would have been better if we had stayed in the Main House. I keep looking for the hotel in London that I will have to come back to year after year and have yet to find it.

Room Tip: Avoid the carriage house
  • Stayed: December 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank tbm56
StaffordHotelGM, General Manager at The Stafford London, responded to this reviewResponded 7 July 2011

Thank you for your opinions. Whilst it is true that the only way to access the Carriage House rooms is by going outside, many of our guests find this a small price to pay for the charm and elegance of these rooms. This is of course a very personal choice. Unfortunately the courtyard is classed as a public highway and as such we have no control over members of the public parking their vehicles there, although there are restrictions which are applied by the local transport authorities. I hope to be able to welcome you back again soon and perhaps you will contact me personally so we can ensure we allocate you a room in the main house.

Reviewed 30 June 2011

There's truth in the adage 'you get what you pay for.' The Stafford is not cheap but what you get is a perfect location and exemplary service. We booked a weekend break to celebrate my wife's birthday and waiting for us in our Carriage House room was a most beautiful bouquet of flowers and champagne (paid for) but also, compliments of the Stafford, a wonderful chocolate birthday cake and a bowl of strawberries. Touches like that mean a lot and are greatly appreciated, as is the charming courtesy of all the hotel staff who are never stiffly formal and are happy to exchange jokes - as was much needed early on Sunday morning when I thought I had witnessed a car driver just off Pall Mall toting a sub machine gun only subsequently to discover it was a film shot!

The refurbishment of the main house is, in our view, a big success but pleasingly the American Bar remains unaltered and we enjoyed an excellent meal there on Friday evening. The ambience of the bar is one of its great assets although that does have its downside because our room was immediately adjacent to the outside seating area and, late on Saturday evening the raucous banter of some American guests was annoyingly intrusive. A word from the front office staff following a phone call moderated their exuberance. On arrival at the hotel we were advised that the room might be noisy but on Friday night, despite guests sitting outside, it was not disturbing. But Saturday was different and I'd advise others to hesitate before booking this room if staying in the warmer summer months.

Apart from intrusive noise from the guests on Saturday night, we were delighted with our room. It was spacious and immaculately presented, even having a wardrobe light that automatically came on when you approached. Quality complimentary toiletries, fluffy towels and bathrobes, and ample Stafford notepaper are welcome bonuses. There are no drinks making facilities in the room but a tray of tea in a silver teapot and with a lovely flower on the tray arrives no sooner than ordered. The bed was extremely comfortable and there were ample sofas, chairs and desks in the room. The marbled bathroom was superb with a huge bath, a separate shower and underfloor heating. A welcome addition to the room might be the provision of a couple of glossy lifestyle magazines: the in-house Kempinski magazine is, frankly, a poor substitute. A complimentary copy of the Times is very welcome.

Breakfast in the room on Saturday morning was a real treat but, wishing to sample the decor of the refurbished Lyttelton, we took breakfast there on Sunday. We enjoyed it immensely: hot, well cooked, well presented and with an excellent choice. There was, however, a minor criticism: no toast arrived and when we asked for this it arrived looking as if the bread had just be cursorily introduced to the toaster as it rushed out of the kitchen, The waiter, when clearing the plates, was full of apologies and immediately offered us proper toast and not warmed bread.

We did not take full afternoon tea at the Stafford and I am sure it is excellent judging by the wonderful complimentary birthday cake, but, in passing, can I recommend champagne tea at Brown's - a real treat.

We wanted the weekend to be special because it was to be a new start after a horrendous past couple of years of a brain tumour immediately followed by very aggressive breast cancer. The Stafford did not let us down. We had a perfect weekend that was then augmented by being invited to a garden party at Buckingham Palace three days later. Unable to stay, the Stafford immediately offered us the use of their facilities to get changed and, again, we had a great lunch in the American Bar. The garden party was an experience that we will always remember but, let it be known, the Stafford chocolate cake is considerably better than that served at the Palace!

Next year we will be back at the Stafford; when we are in London it really is our residence.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Beauchamp
StaffordHotelGM, General Manager at The Stafford London, responded to this reviewResponded 4 July 2011

Thank you for taking the time to write such a comprehensive review. I'm delighted that you are pleased wtih the results of the refurbishment and I'm very glad that you and your wife were able to relax after such a tough year. We all very much look forward to welcoming you both 'home' next year.

Reviewed 29 June 2011

stayed for 5 nights in June 2011 , I hadn't known of the hotel before . The location is perfect , 2 adjacent London parks , the glitz of the West End nearby and the more sedate St James's shopping/galleries and Mayfair across Piccadilly , all in easy strolling distance . The City is 20 minutes by tube .
This is not an inexpensive hotel however the attentive and personalised service makes it a worthwhile pleasure to stay here . The American Bar has an excellent single malt selection and the senior staff are urbane and professional , this is a watering hole of distinction.
The internet menu puts the pricey paid options first and a rather secluded final option is the free service , which was completely adequate for email and internet . I suggest that there's a sign on the desk in the room guiding free internet access .
Room was smallish but comfortable , good wardrobe space and great marble bathroom with separate shower and tub. All spanking new .
Turndown service included shutting drapes which was thoughtful .
I will return without hesitation .

Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business
StaffordHotelGM, General Manager at The Stafford London, responded to this reviewResponded 1 July 2011

I'm delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and discovered the wonderful American Bar. My team an I look forward to welcoming you back to your new London 'home' next time you are here.

Reviewed 26 June 2011

If you want free highspeed wifi and internet in your rooms -- look elsewhere. The hotel is quaint, if a little old fashioned, and I agree with the reviews that question the heating -- lobbies and stairwells were freezing and room thermostat was iffy at best. Staff was very nice and responsive and location is good for Mayfair/Piccadilly area. My principal beef and warning to all travelers is over their so-called "free" wifi internet in the rooms. They advertise free wifi (and I booked through Expedia on this basis). Then they hit you with hidden charges for wifi if you click on the higher speed wifi alternative. Frankly, my experience with business hotels in London is that when wifi is free -- it is free. If their Ibahn requires you to accept charges to access the internet, these are reversed when you check out. I checked out with no charges, and then TWO WEEKS LATER, charges appeared on my credit card, which the hotel refused to take off. Frankly, I found this extraordinary and will make my choices elsewhere next time I go to London.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank Toomdc

Thank you for sharing your feedback. I'm sorry for the late charge to your credit card for the internet usage. Usually this will appear on your room bill but during your stay it appears there was a fault with the interfaces between the systems and some charges were delayed. We do provide a complimentary internet service at a speed of 512kb which most guests find suitable for checking emails and surfing the web. Additionally we also provide another option of 30mbs which is charged for and is more suitable for downloading video content from the internet. This option and the cost is clearly displayed prior to the guest being able to use it.
I hope you enjoyed the other aspects of The Stafford and we look forward to being able to welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed 21 June 2011

Just arrived home from a fantastic 5 day stay at the Stafford. It is situated in St James. Just a few minute walk through Green Park to the Tube. We arrived early on an overnight flight and they checked us into our room early. We have traveled all over the world and stayed at 5star hotels everywhere and this was the best as far as customer service! Laura, the front desk, employee was very courteous and took the time to show us around the hotel and our room directly. Later in our stay I wanted to see other rooms for my information and she obliged without question. Paul, the concierge, not only took time to walk us away from the hotel to show us directions, but also followed up to make sure our needs were met. When we left, we left him a generous tip which he thanked us for and sent us on our way in our taxi. A few minutes later he phoned the taxi driver to ask if we really meant to be so generous! Can you imagine???

The rooms are comfortable and the bathrooms have to be the best in London. Separate all marble bath and showers. US outlets in the room so power convertors are not necessary.

We had 1 small issue with a pull out bed not being made one evening.The manager was there immediately to handle the issue himself! Just amazing customer service.

Location is exceptional with many great restaurants very close by. Easy access to the Tube, Buckingham Palace, Picadilly Circus, Browns hotel for Tea, ect.

My only suggestion is that they should have a take-away coffee station in the morning and a welcome reception with wine in the afternoon. This would work very well in this style of boutique hotel.

I have already booked my return trip next year to stay at the Stafford! It's expensive but well worth it! (remember the VAT is 20%/day)

Room Tip: Request rooms that end in 30 or 31 (separate room)
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank Montana2000
StaffordHotelGM, General Manager at The Stafford London, responded to this reviewResponded 22 June 2011

Thanks for taking the time to write such a detailed review of your stay with us. I'm delighted that you enjoyed your visit and Laura and Paul will certainly be grateful for being singled out as having made your time here memorable. For those wishing to note your tip on the 30 & 31 rooms, these are indeed our jewels in the crown - look for the Mews Master Suites on our website, well worth the extra pounds! We look forward to welcoming you back next stay.