“very boutiqy”

Ranked #27 of 1,067 Hotels in London
Hingham, Massachusetts
“very boutiqy”
Reviewed 22 April 2012

This was a great stay. The main things that were good in the hotel and really stood out were the beds, restaurants, and service at the hotel. The beds here were some of the best hotel ones I've ever slept on. The bar in the hotel, American Bar, was a very interesting bar. It is fairly small with an outdoor patio, and is filled with polo and horse racing memorabilia. They actually serve you food on a tray there which you eat on your lap. I suggest you get the fish and chips if you go there. The service at the hotel was also excellent. Aside from the basic hotel things such as fetching a taxi and bringing you bags to your room, the staff seemed to all remember our names by the time they brought us up to our room. Overall, I thought of the hotel most like a boutique; The rooms were somewhat small, and it was tucked away in small ally way. This hotel might not be as large and popular as other high class hotels in london such as the Dorchester, but its in a great location and is vary quiet.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Ben B
StaffordHotelGM, General Manager at The Stafford London, responded to this review, 24 April 2012
Thank you for sharing your feedback. I am pleased to learn that you have enjoyed your stay with us. Our beds are manufactured in Great Britain and my Executive Housekeeper chooses the linen and duvets very carefully to ensure a very good night's sleep for all our guests. Of course I am also delighted you enjoyed our level of service which is what The Stafford is all about.

I hope to get the opportunity to welcome you back in the not too distant future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (176)
York, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 April 2012

Great location if you want to feel you have got away from the hustle and bustle of town!

We stayed in the carriage houses, quite spacious for central london, the rooms have everything you need, but the bathroom had the original hand painted tiles, very nice, but a bit dated!

We stayed in Summer and when we stepped outside our bedroom into the cobbled area there were loads of people sitting and drinking outside our room, a little bit too close for comfort and you almost felt you were intruding as you stepped out!

The hotel bar is very pleasant definitely for the Americans, home from home.

The hotel put fresh strawberries in the room, nice touch.

Breakfast was excellent.

Due to the location we would definitely stay again, but we would avoid the carriage house rooms.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank Hopey666
Thank you very much for sharing your feedback. I am pleased you appreciated the size and atmosphere of our Carriage House. We are in the process of planning to update the bathrooms however, the Carriage House is a listed historical building which make it not as easy to make any alterations as they need to planned very carefully.

Should you prefer to stay in the Main House, please do let us know at the time of booking should we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to The Stafford.
London
Reviewed 19 April 2012

I stay in 5 star hotels all over the world and The Stafford is my favorite. I have stayed here off and on for five years now and with my business starting a base in London, The Stafford is my home while here. I have stayed at The Stafford nearly 100 nights since I discovered the hotel and have yet to have any problems. Any minor issues I have had are always quickly addressed with care and concern. In most hotels I feel like just a number but at The Stafford I feel like part of the family. It has the perfect location in the St. James area and the best of British charm. Christian Resetarits was my first real contact at The Stafford who made me feel at home and why I stopped staying at other five star hotels in London the past couple of years. He is a class act along with all his collegues who I have encountered while staying here. If I ever have a question or need something, Christian never minds a call or email and is always quick to respond. I don't get homesick much but when I do, it's for The Stafford. If you are staying at other five star hotels in the London area, you are missing out... Darren Julien - Beverly Hills, California

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank Darren J
Dear Mr. Julien,

Thank you for your great comments about The Stafford. The Stafford has indeed become your London Home and we are so delighted to have the pleasure of welcoming you every time you are coming to London. As I am aware of how much you travel, I am very honoured for The Stafford to be called your favourite hotel. Christian and the other members of the team were so thrilled to read your review as they all feel you are as much part of The Stafford as they are.

Mr. Julien, we all look forward to welcoming you back home for many more years to come.

Kind regards,

Leon
california
Reviewed 17 April 2012

I am writing because I have noticed several reviews that mention the size of the rooms in the main building. I first stayed at the Stafford in 1966 and have returned many times since. I have probably stayed in every room in the main building including a tiny attic garret. The charm of the Stafford is that it is an old hotel that hasn't been remodeled until it no longer has any character. Almost all of the rooms are good sized and all of them are beutifully decorated. and very comfortable.
The Stafford has many virtues. It has the best location in London. You can walk anywhere in the West End or central London and the tube station is a block away. The American Bar is welcoming and has terrific food. You can get a lovely afternoon tea in the lounge. Frank and the concierge staff will get you restaurant reservations anywhere. The hotel is not pretentious and it has warmth and history, and I would hate to see it change. It is an oasis in London to which I hope to return many more times.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled solo
3 Thank rmfish
Thank you very much for your so complementing comments regarding The Stafford. I am so delighted to see that you are returning since 1966! As you know, The Stafford has changed the look on several occasions since then however, we have retained and always will reatin the atmosphere that makes our guests come back again and again. I believe when you approach the Reception and Conierge Desk at The Stafford you don't just 'check in' - you arrive at your home away from home. Frank and my Executive Housekeeper (who is in charge of decorating our rooms) were both delighted with your comments.

I very much look forward to welcoming you back 'home' very soon again!
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 March 2012

I've stayed here numerous times in the past and visited Lyttelton and American Bar for dinner and drinks with friends. It's a small boutique hotel with a great location and relatively quiet and peaceful for those who like less foot traffic and crowded places but still easy reach of tourist sites like Royal Academy of Arts, Picadilly Circus, Buckingham Palace, etc You are also near two parks, St James and Green Park.

My last stay however wasn't as good as in the past. I think I was lucky in the past that I got allocated decent sized rooms in the main hotel. This time I ran out of luck.

The front desk team now seems to have less knowledge of the hotel rooms, facilities and history.

My sister bought me a weekend stay for my birthday recently as she knew I enjoyed staying here in the past for a nice quiet break for luxury stay and shopping along Bond Street.

I checked in and the gent offered me a tour and tried to make up the facts as he went along. Makes me think they should include some training if they are going to offer guests a walkaround and not make up facts. That just makes the situation awkward when the guest seems to know the hotel better than the staff.

All the rooms I refer to here are in the main part of the hotel. When I got to the room #112, it was one of the tinier ones despite being told I was upgraded to a King room. The bathroom was beyond tiny and more claustrophobic (about the size of a closet). There was hardly any natural light as the view was a inner well and tiny window. I requested a change of room and they kindly accomodated me and moved me to #122 which had the dreaded twin beds mashed as a king bed. But what annoyed me was the room faced a tiny inner courtyard and a bank of air-conditioning compressors. I was assured the room would be quiet and is relatively sound proofed. I was proven right however as at night, there was a constant humming that keep me awake half the night. If you are a very light sleeper, avoid this room.

Bleary-eyed the next morning, I checked for another room move to. Hopefully, one not facing a compressor. Again staff were very accomodating and took me to see room 603 and 604 which had more light and felt a big larger. Bathrooms were still tiny and you had to sit upright at 90deg in them. I chose 603 and as I was staying one more night I didnt make such a big fuss. Then the clincher, that humming noise was back on the second night and after looking out my window to locate it, I realised there was a large piece of equipment below that room window that was generating that humming. I don't know if it was a compressor or not but it went on all night.

I ate breakfast in the hotel in the morning having lost two nights worth off sleep and it was an unremarkable affair and bacon was horrid and tasted like it had been re-cooked or re-heated and there was a horrid aftertaste to it. I had lunch at the American Bar again and it was nice atmosphere and decent bar food which hadn't lost it's service touch or quality of food. Nibbles are free although some have remarked they were charged for it. Maybe I was a returning customer so I got it for free??

They provide fridges in the rooms wtih bottles of water but no in-room mini bar items. So for people who like to buy their own drinks and want a place to cool them, you have that facility. However some fridges are not new. Room 122 had a old mouldy looking fridge that should be replaced as it just looks unhygenic. Free wi-fi was slow and not very strong. As I moved 3 different rooms, they had 3 different levels of signal quality for both your mobile and wi-fi. I requested the hospitality trays for in-room tea making and those were provided promptly on a complimentary basis.

They use a mixture of Taylor & Harris bath gel, shampoo and conditioners and Floris soaps and lotion.

This was my first time staying on a Sunday night and I found out that they don't have a 24 hour housekeeping team in-house. I asked for my room to be made up late in the evening and came back two hours later and was told it still wasn't made up due to the housekeeping staff only coming in at 6pm for the turndown service. That was a pain as I had to wait in the lounge for it to be made up.

All in all by the time I checked out on Monday morning, it didn't feel like an enjoyable stress-free birthday weekend break and I was disappointed. Staff are helpful but need to know the hotel rooms features and differences to meet different customer requirements more adequately. Next time I book or recommend people to stay here, I have to recall room numbers of rooms I was satisfied with which makes it a pain. The St James Hotel around the corner and Connaught in Mayfair have similar quirky room sizes and different requirements but their front desk team seems to know the room differences relatively well and have always been able to accomodate my visits there to avoid noisy rooms and rooms with standing room only bathrooms.

Room Tip: Be aware this is like a country house type hotel where all rooms are different and you should defini...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
5 Thank poshredkitty
StaffordHotelGM, General Manager at The Stafford London, responded to this review, 17 April 2012
Thank you for sharing your comments regarding your recent stay at The Stafford. I am very pleased to learn you enjoyed your meal and drinks in our famous American Bar.
Our hotel is a grade II listed townhouse and not purpose built unlike larger chain hotels which adds to the special charme of The Stafford. Although we are tucked away in a small cobble courtyard, we are located in the heart of central London and our rooms tend to be very quiet compared to other hotel rooms. Given the location, it is naturally very difficult to have rooms as quiet as those of country house hotels.
I entirely concur that some fridges need to be replaced. This is being done contuniously and the fridge pointed out in your review will be replaced in due course.

I appreciate your comments and rest assured I do find them to be invaluable. Please do let me know personally should you return to The Stafford, referring to your review.

I very much hope to get the opoortunity to welcoming you back to The Stafford in the not too distant future.
Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 March 2012

We arrived on the day of dire forecasts for snowy weather so it was good and bad news to hear that we had been upgraded to a Mews suite - the upgrade was nice but the thought of traipsing into the main hotel over ice and snow was not so good - as it turned out the weather was cold but there was no ice/snow. The suite was tastefully decorated but the bathroom and the shower were on the cold side - underfloor heating would have been a worthwhile addition in the Mews suites I suspect. As a person who finds it difficult to sleep with a duvet an option to choose blankets would have been nice. The room we had at Hazlitt's Hotel in Soho on a previous visit was much more to my taste.

Breakfast was the only meal we had in the hotel but I think it may have been the best we've ever had in a hotel. The service was impeccable.

So the opulence is there but if we go back I'd definitely insist on a room in the main hotel.

Room Tip: I would not choose a mews room again
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank TimSY2
StaffordHotelGM, General Manager at The Stafford London, responded to this review, 15 April 2012
Thank you very much for sharing your feedback regarding your stay with us.
I am very pleased to learn that you were impressed by our breakfast. I am however sorry that you did not enjoy the upgrade to one of our Junior Suites in the Stafford Mews. I completely understand that some guests enjoy the privacy of not having to go through the lobby and corridors and some prefer the convenience of having the restaurant, bar and lobby right in front of their doorstep.
Should you wish to return to The Stafford, please do let us know that you prefer to be in the main house of the hotel and we shall be delighted to allocate your room accordingly.

We do offer hand made woolen blankets on request to all guests and each room is equipped with at least one in the wardrobe. Please do let us know when you return and my reservations team will inform housekeeping to arrange the bedding with blankets.

I sincerely hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to The Stafford in the not too distant future.
New York City, New York
Reviewed 18 March 2012

I stayed at the Stafford years ago with my family and was anxious to come back as an adult. I was pleased to find that it was the same wonderful hotel that I remember. As soon as you walk in, the staff is friendly and welcoming. Check in was a breeze and Jan at the front desk was a delight. Everyone was helpful and professional.

We had booked a Queen Room but were upgraded to a King which was a great surprise. The rooms are generally on the small side, but are so cozy and well decorated that you don't feel that way at all. I think we had the brightest room in the place. Every detail had been accounted for, from the flat screen tv to the plentiful amenities in the bathroom, free water bottles, and free internet (a huge bonus). There was even a rubber duck by the tub. When I was younger we would come for Christmas and they used to set up fully decorated Christmas trees in your room- I don't know if they still do this but it was a great indication of the quality of the hotel and how well the staff treats and pays attention to you. The beds are the most comfortable beds I have ever slept in, and not just in a hotel. Housekeeping was fantastic. The one issue we had was we were in a non-smoking room, but there were smoking rooms around us and there were times when our room would reek of smoke from our neighbor. I wish they would do what other hotels do and make non-smoking floors.

The location of the hotel is fantastic. Right by Buckingham Palace and the mall on one side, and right by Mayfair and Piccadilly on the other. Restaurants and shopping were outside your doorstep, but because you are tucked away in a little courtyard it was quiet and private. Everything we did was in walking distance, from seeing the sights (Westminster, Trafalgar, Parliament, etc) to dinners out and shopping in Soho and Covent Garden.

I never usually eat in a hotel, but because the American Bar not only had the best atmosphere and service but also great food (try the burger and club sandwich), we ended up having 2 lunches there. Little couches and armchair seating areas in addition to the bar, and they serve your food on trays for you. We also went for drinks 2 nights. With all the history and memorabilia on the walls it is such a fun bar. Wonderfully set up and cozy.

I just love this hotel, I would never stay anywhere else in London. I enjoyed my stay this time as much as I did when I was a kid. Everything about it is great- the staff, location, rooms, food. All around perfect hotel.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank NYC413
Thank you very much for sharing your lovely comments concerning your recent stay with us. Jan and the team were absolutely delighted to read your review and are very grateful.
Although the building of The Stafford has changed we do our utmost to retain the same charme and atmosphere of the earlier days and it gives me a great pleasure that you feel the same way. Christmas is still one of our great traditions and has not changed - Christmas Trees, Carol Singers and Mince Pies are still to be seen every year during Christmas.
I am however sorry that you smelt smoke from the room next door. We only have very few smoking rooms left, mainly for some of our most regular guests. Jan has already made a not on you record for a room to be allocated far away from a smoking room (he remembered showing you around the hotel).

Thank you again for sharing your feedback and I very much hope to be able to welcome you back 'home' very soon.