“A little corner of tranquil luxury in London”

The Stafford London
Ranked #21 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed 21 August 2009

You should always get an immediate feeling you are staying somewhere that is delivering a service at the top end of their game.. An attentive doorman, hall staff standing almost to attention giving the feeling of presence, well dressed, well spoken reception teams. This place has it all. In spades. Immediately calming from the moment you step through the door, leaving the frenetic hustle of London and St James St behind you.
No chinzy, mass produced vases and furniture in this lobby, all antiques and originals. My room was smaller than the major chains that sprawl around Picadilly, but as we all know size means nothing, it's the attention to design and detail that makes the mark. And that eye for detail is superb. Again, original art, decorative crematics and furniture, a BOSE audio system, branded wooden coathangers.
A full marble bathroom of a refined opulence that you could almost imagine the floors below the building straining under the weight of, dressed with fine accessories from Floris. Abundance of fluffy white towels, and even a night light under the sink.
The room had a large fridge stocked with complementary mineral water, and so rare in many hotels, genuinely plenty of space for your own purchases.
The food was excellent on both nights I ate there, my corporate budget did't quite justify the £60 necessary for the two courses and wine in the main restaurant, however the very welcoming yet exclsuisve feeling public bar delivered some cooking with flair.
I used to wondwer what a £20 'burger would taste like (paying towards the rates perhaps) however I was suprised to find that the £19 Stafford Burger was actually good value for money considering the quality of the meat and accompaniments). The pan fried calves liver was a homely and perfect as if cooked by my great Aunt with no other covers to cater for.
Improvements? Now we are talking minor niggles. An i-Pod dock on the BOSE system, and a DVD player would be welcomed. And even sometimes the most well heeled traveller would prefer a kettle in the room rather than have to order room service. I'm sure that The Staffordf would make it either unitrusive or perfectly formed.
Apart from that, what a brilliant hotel. The owner should be proud of their team's achievements. I only fear that I will never be able to afford a stay here unlewss it's picked up by the corporate tab. Never mind.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank brianfegg
Write a ReviewReviews (1,226)

Reviewed 8 August 2009

A trip to London normally means business and a multi-national corporate hotel. This time the trip was personal (Royal Opera House and shopping) so I decided to treat myself to something different.

From beginning to end, my stay at the Stafford was first class. The staff (especially the conceirge and in the American Bar) were by far the most polite and courteous I have ever experienced in a hotel and in London. The room, although slightly small, was ideal for me as a single traveller; quiet and cool it was lovely to come back to after a night at the opera. The bed was very comfortable and there was plenty of storage space (and hangers).

The location is ideal, only five minutes walk into the centre of London with Green Park tube station very close by. And if you need a taxi, the porters will go out to the main street to fetch one for you... even in the pouring rain!

The complimentary newspaper was also available at the weekend (how many hotels do this!). Breakfast was probably the best I have had in a hotel and had great selection available.

On checkout, I discovered that there had been a communication problem between my travel agent and the hotel regarding extras included in my booking (complimentary breakfast and a credit for food in the restaurant/bar) which resulted in a higher than expected final statement. On production of my booking confirmation sheet, the hotel agreed to honour what I had expected to pay for, which meant that they lost out financially. It wasn't a large amount of money but I wouldn't expect many hotels (especially in London) to agree so readily to do this!

Would I return to the Stafford? Most definitely.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled solo
1  Thank Forthill81
Reviewed 25 July 2009

Spent 10 nights at the Stafford in July 09.
Very quiet and relaxed hotel, yet in the heart of London, with access to all of the capital, via Green Park tube. Though we walked everywhere. Visited Borough Market, Canary Wharf and all the usual sights.
When you come back to the hotel, it is with a sense of delight, that you will get peace to enjoy the rest of the evening. Free Wifi and good TV channels, all of Sky Sports channels plus the business channels. Read or sleep - all possible with peace.
What did we not like? Really there was nothing I can complain about. Anything we asked for was delivered immediately. The rooms are beautifully furnished. Some may be a bit smaller than rooms in the US or other cities. But this is London, and as far as I am concerned this is the city where it all happens. The bathroom was very large with a walk in shower and a bath. Towels were always hot and very comfy.

Been to London twice a year for the last twenty years and this is the hotel I have been looking for. Going to go back? Yes!! August 09.

Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank davidG2772SB
Reviewed 22 July 2009

The Stafford oozes class and makes for a perfect weekend break. The moment your taxi draws up outside and a courteous doorman opens the taxi door and takes charge of your luggage you know you are staying at a hotel where guests' needs are paramount. At every turn there were helpful, professional staff and we were given an unhurried tour of the hotel before being shown to our (upgraded) room. The heating/air conditioning worked very effectively and though the room had double glazing, this was scarcely necessary to keep out the noise because there simply wasn't any. Despite being in the very heart of London (2 minutes from St James Palace, 3 minutes from Fortnum and Masons) tranquillity is guaranteed due to the fact that the Stafford sits at the end of a mews terrace. The room was beautifully appointed with a superbly comfortable bed - so wide I think the bedside tables were in different postcodes - and the bathroom was elegant marble with extremely fluffy towels and bathrobes and quality Floris toiletries. Room service was excellent, tea and coffee arriving almost instantly and served from stylish pots into bone china cups. A rose in the vase on the tray is a simple touch which was noted and appreciated.

We ate in the American bar and it certainly lives up to its billing. It was convivial with excellent food but the main restaurant looked equally appealing and proved to be so because that is where we had breakfast next morning. Yes, you can get a much cheaper breakfast in the arcade round the corner but you pay for the style as well as the substance and the Stafford has both in spades. In some ways the Stafford reminds me of a scene from Miss Marple with its elegant yet homely atmospere but this is to ignore the fact that the hotel has also firmly embraced the 21st century with Bose CD players and free internet connections. There really is nothing to fault with the hotel; it is expensive but it's worth it. We will surely return.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 July 2009

On a whim, my partner and I stayed at the Stafford this weekend, selecting a mews suite (approx £1200 per night.)

The suite itself was of an excellent size, pleasantly furnished and well-maintained. The living room was somewhat too small for the amount of furniture and, really strangely, only one of the bathroom's two sinks was supplied with toiletries.

We were advised on arrival that the restaurant required gentlemen to wear a jacket. A pompous attitude in the 21st Century, and I noticed in passing that there were few restaurant patrons. Quite right!

Aside from a few minor oddities (DVD player in the bedroom but none in the living room; a hallway almost larger than the living room) and the most mediocre breakfast I've been served in an alleged 5-star, no major complaints. But, on the whole, the Sofitel provides superior comfort minus the attitude, and the Stafford is not somewhere I would rush back to.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank csmac
Reviewed 23 June 2009

Like a country house retreat in the centre of London, so quiet you would have no idea you were so close to bustling Piccadilly, which was great as we were able to stroll to the theatre. I was only here for one night, but I found the hotel to be very welcoming and the staff friendly and helpful.
The decor is very traditional, so if you are a lover of the modern look, I wouldn't recommend it, if you prefer traditional you will absolutely love it. The room is cosy and the beds are huge and ridiculously comfortable.
But be warned - their famous martinis are absolutely lethal...

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled with friends
1  Thank CloudPixie
Reviewed 9 June 2009

My wife and I decided on a weekend trip to London to celebrate our 32nd Annivesary. We saw a review on the Stafford on a TV travel show and decided to try it. From the moment we arrived when Richard the manager said "welcome home" we felt this was something special. We were fortunate to be upgraded from a queen double to a king double.. The room was light and airy with plenty of cupboard and drawer space. The public rooms are beautiful especially the American Bar where we ate on more than 1 occasion over the 3 days. We asked Richard about the wine cellar where the American and Canadian officer sheltered in the blitz during Worls War II. He offered to take us down to view this 380 year old store. A museum has been set up with items of memorbilia which were extremely interesting. no sooner had we told the receptionist that we were celebrating, a cake appeared in out room. Even the bellman offered to walk us accross the road to show us the shortcut to Green PArk. They just seemed to want to go that extra mile. I will certainly go back when I next stay in London.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple