“Like a Second Home in London”

The Stafford London
Ranked #21 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed 15 March 2010

After full days of business meetings in the Financial District, The Stafford is a true refuge and I instantly relax coming through the entrance. I usually have trouble sleeping in hotels, but I actually sleep better here than at home! Wonderful marbled bathrooms with plenty of towels (great bath products!). The location in terrific and the staff really goes out of their way. I get the feeling that the staff knows me and knows who I am and they always make me feel welcome. The American Bar alone is worth the visit.
In short, you don't feel lost here as I sometimes do at the larger "chain" hotels - it has the feel of a private exclusive club of which I am a member! If you are a shopper, this is a great home base.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank Fundguy
StaffordHotelGM, General Manager at The Stafford London, responded to this reviewResponded 17 March 2010

I'm so glad to hear that you feel at home at The Stafford as this is the atmosphere we strive for. It is our pleasure getting to know our guests personally so we can make them as welcome and comfortable as possible. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,226)

Reviewed 5 March 2010

Stayed at the Stafford based on a friend's recommendation. Have been trying various London hotels for a while, and small rooms, and high prices along with stuffy lobbys dominate the landscape. At the stafford, the entrance is unobstrusive. The St James Place location is just a boon whether you want to walk out for a quick dinner after a tiring day or to get a cab. The lobby alas its London! cramped as always. The new wing in the Mews behind is excellent, clean rooms and for once a bathroom where I can stretch without hitting the wall or the roof. The staff is attentive. The american bar is well known and a good place to down a drink. Despite the location, the rooms are quiet. Very nice stay, I enjoyed a hotel in London and that has not happened in a while!

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank rammenon
StaffordHotelGM, General Manager at The Stafford London, responded to this reviewResponded 10 March 2010

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on The Stafford. We look forward to welcoming you 'home' again soon.

Reviewed 25 February 2010

We stayed at this hotel for the second time last December. We loved it just as much this time as the last. The first time we stayed in the main house this time we stayed in one of the beautiful rooms in the courtyard. They are beautifully decorated, lovely linens and towels, a splendid bathroom with wonderful shower, gorgeous homemade bisucits on arrival and the offer of tea served in the rooms, great beds, very very quiet - I could go on. We found the staff to be more than helpful at all times and the concierge desk in particular were very helpfu. And we loved the clubbey bar and enjoyed a lovely casual meal there ono our laps. We will definetely return.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank lizeee

I am very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your most recent stay with us and we look forward to your return again soon

Reviewed 18 February 2010

I was traveling with a small child in tow. Therefore, I communicated several times BEFORE I arrived with the Concierge. The entire Concierge team was so helpful. Everything was pre-arranged, anticipated and organized by the time I checked in. Other hotels would have been tired of me and my thorough-to-an-extreme travel plans. Ironically, upon arrival and faced with an emergency (I forgot my credit cards!!) the Concierge team put me in touch with American Express and kept me calm and feeling secure. The stay at the Stafford went like clockwork. With the help of the Concierge team, I truly made the most of my time in London. We had a marvelous time. I just can't say enough about the Stafford Concierge team. Thank you so so much. Will certainly return.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank Harpermommy
StaffordHotelGM, General Manager at The Stafford London, responded to this reviewResponded 22 February 2010

Thanks so much for your kind words. Frank and his team are indeed a credit to our Hotel and in fact Frank won the 'Number one Concierge in the World' award from Travel & Leisure Magazine. We are all looking forward to welcoming you and your daughter back to London soon.

Reviewed 26 January 2010

My husband and I stayed at The Stafford on New Years Eve. Upon arrival we were greeted straight away by reception staff and once checked in we were informed that we had been upgraded to a junior suite. We were personally taken to our room, which was lovely. The room was spacious, clean and very comfortable. The hotel was located close enough to all the main sights and a 5 minutes walk away from Buckingham Palace. Would recommend this hotel to anybody, we had a fantastic New Years Eve!!

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Colrah
StaffordHotelGM, General Manager at The Stafford London, responded to this reviewResponded 11 February 2010

Thanks for your post. New Year's Eve is always such a fun time in London and this reflects in the atmosphere throughout the Hotel. I'm glad you enjoyed your upgrade and wish you a very Happy New Year!

Reviewed 25 January 2010

I recently stayed at Stafford for 6 nights. And All I can say is the best of the best should only be consider your hotel. From the doorman to Housekeeping and staff at the American bar along with Breakfast crew reminded me the true British Hospitality..

As a Company we will make your Hotel part of our home as we travel constantly from Miami to UK/London.

Great location, Great Concierge and best stay in London..

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled on business

It is always great to hear when our guests have enjoyed their experience with us, thanks for taking the time to share. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 19 December 2009

I agree with most of what the other travelers wrote about the Stafford. Wonderful location, good value for the money. Generous extras such as the drinks in the minibar as well as free internet. The bar is charming and relaxed, the service warm and friendly. The food in the hotel is fine, not great, not bad. However, the staff is another matter. Upon arriving, no one greeted us with a welcome. Yes, they took our luggage but there was absolutely no personal feeling. At the checkin desk we were met by a woman who seemed to not know very much about the hotel. Several of her statements were corrected by her fellow front desk mate. It seemed funny at first but overall it didn't instill confidence in the hotel. Again there was no small talk such as how was your flight. Small details but something one expects in any well run hotel. Often you would pass several staff members mysteriously lined up in the lobby as if there to greet you but instead they all stood as still as statues as if we hadn't passed. Weird. And most uncomfortable. That said room-service was quick and efficient (although there is no button on the phone to reach them thus necessitating a call to the front desk and being transfered...minor glitch but slightly annoying every time you try to order). All small-ish quibbles but all add up to detract from an otherwise very pleasant hotel.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled solo
2  Thank unloved

Thank you for taking the time to give your feedback. It is invaluable for us and enables us to continually improve our services. I am sorry to hear that you felt 'unloved' during your stay with us and assure you that this is not our usual standard of guest service. I have taken all of your comments on board and will be addressing neccessary points with the relevant members of my team. I hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back again soon.