“great hotel in a great location”

The Stafford London
Ranked #26 of 1,063 Hotels in London
Reading
“great hotel in a great location”
Reviewed 29 June 2010

lovely staff who made us feel very welcome.
the room was small-ish, but it is the centre of London, and it was very well laid out for maximum effect. There was plenty of storage and the bathroom was a good size. There was a ceiling fan as well as air conditioning, both of which worked.

The only thing that happened was that a bulb blew and took out a fuse. But the hotel had someone up to fix it within about 5 minutes and everything worked great after that.

We spent most of the day doing tourist stuff, and ate out in the evening, so really only slept in the hotel, but it was lovely.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
StaffordHotelGM, General Manager at The Stafford London, responded to this review, 1 July 2010
Sorry about the light bulb, unfortunately we are subject to minor mishaps like everyone else, but glad to see your were not left in the dark for long. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to you returning soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (176)
Bulawayo, Zimbabwe
Reviewed 27 June 2010

This is the hotel in which I shall stay on every future trip to London. My stay was made memorable not only by the wonderful comfort of the room but even more by the exceptional helpfulness and friendliness of the staff. Examples include the receptionist who took time to personally give me a tour of the hotel; the barman who was thoughtful enough to bring me a newspaper and snacks while I waited for lunch; and the valet who cleaned my shoes with great care and returned them to me very quickly in time for me to go out to a meeting. The best rates for the hotel are to be found on its own website, specially if you book 15 days in advance.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled on business
Florida, U.S.A.
Reviewed 24 June 2010

My husband and I have been to London before and were always perplexed by the plethora of hotel choices - we never found "the one" until now. This was our first stay at The Stafford and now it will be "the one" for us in the future. It is in a fabulous location, close to all the action, but is an oasis of calm and discretion. We loved the staff. Look forward to returning next year, if not sooner.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
I am very pleased to hear that you have now found 'the one' for your stays in London. We look forward to welcoming you 'home' next year, or hopefully sooner.
Arromanches-les-Bains, France
Reviewed 8 June 2010

Ok, so the location is a little tricky to get to .... but once you're there you don't want to leave. My all time favourite hotel in London was the now sadly departed 22 in Jermyn St. I tried to book 22 days before it closed and they recommended the Stafford and gave me an email for their GM, Stuart. And credit to the lovely Laurie from 22, the Stafford has become my new favourite in London.

Its elegant, well located, and really, kinda like living in a lovely royal palace minus the slightly nutty family. The staff are fabulous and answer every question with care and concern - even my questions about how to tip hairdressers and getting to Heathrow at 5am. They keep a quiet eye on you so much that I hadn't noticed until I was clearly minus a husband and they informed me he was having tea in the lounge (he was a pig in mud there).

We had breakfast at Fortnum & Mason (2 mins walk away), went walking through Green Park to Buckingham Palace and up to the HorseGuards (laneway leads straight onto the park), and the Green Park tube station is 2 min walk away. Dinner options are sensation with Rowleys, the Wolseley and Langans all within 2 mins walk as is a Marks and Spencer with all you need for a great bed-picnic after a full day sightseeing (this is the home of the 2 min walk!)

We spent four nights a the Stafford in Oct 09 (I'm a late poster) and this was pre-Kempinski takeover. But if they have kept Stuart Procter in charge, they are clever folks. The Stafford puts the L in luxury and the L in London. This is how the other half live!

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Melban
StaffordHotelGM, General Manager at The Stafford London, responded to this review, 15 June 2010
It is very nice to see such wonderful comments from a loyal 22 Jermyn St guest and am delighted that you have made The Stafford your new London 'home' since its closure. I am pleased to say that I am still here and that the move to join the Kempinski family has had nothing but a beneficial impact to me personally, the Hotel, and our guests. We all look forward to welcoming you back here very soon.
Bruges, Belgium
Reviewed 4 June 2010

A wonderful British style hotel which offers the highest stardards of service. Having stayed a several hotels, this is my favourite hotel in London. The very helpful concierge and reception staff are superb. Also the restaurant is something you must try, very high quality and the private trip to the wine cellar is priceless! As a regular Kempinski guest, I am happy that I have a home away from home in London.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank Davy1985
StaffordHotelGM, General Manager at The Stafford London, responded to this review, 7 June 2010
Thanks so much for taking the time to share your thoughts with everyone. As a new addition to the Kempinski family it is very pleasing to have positive feedback from a guest used to the Kempinski standards. We look forward to welcoming you back to your new London 'home' soon.
Minneapolis
Reviewed 2 June 2010

4 members of my family stayed for a week at the Stafford and it was truly a wonderful trip. The staff is wonderful. The level of service is fabulous. Here are some details:

We stayed in rooms 415/416 at the end of a hallway. 416 is a two room suite and it can be easily paired with 415 to accomodate 4-6 people vey comfortably. Our room had a very deep bath, seperate shower, refrigerator, and 110V plugs to acocmodate our US devices (like computers, ipods, camera chargers, etc)

The key system is very old fashioned and charming...real keys that you leave at the desk when you go and then claim when you return.

The food at the various places to eat is delicious. We had dinner at the small restaurant, lunch many times at the American Bar (outside dining is great in the nice courtyard and I highly recommend the smoked haddock fish cake, poached egg and hollandaise) and we also had tea in the lounge. My 5 year old son loved the tea! The Wolsey restaurant is withing walking distance as well and a great choice.

The location is just across Green Park form Buckingam Palace, which makes seeing the changing of the guard remarkably easily. It is also within walking distance of the Hard Rock Cafe and only steps from the Green Park Tube Station (only two stops from Knightsbridge and Harrods).

The staff is truly remarkable and the front desk is beyond accomodating. They always had an answer, a cab, a smile, whatever you needed. If you are looking for top tier hotels in London, stay here.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank MNTrotter
I am glad to hear that you and your family enjoyed your stay with us this May. 415/416 is indeed a great option for families and is just one of many interconnecting suites that we have. We look forward to welcoming you all back again soon.
Trondheim
Reviewed 26 May 2010

I stayed at The Stafford Hotel last autumn. We ended up here because of problems with the electrisity at the hotel we have booked.
And we were not disappointed. In fact, The Stafford Hotel gave me my best hotel experience ever.
The room was fantastic, it felt more like a home than a hotel room. And the staff was all so nice.
In august I will go back to London with my daughter. This will be her first time in London, and I know that the stay at The Stafford Hotel will be something she will never forget. To stay at a hotel as The Stafford Hotel, makes the journey from Norway to London something even more special, and it really complete the feeling of beeing in one of the nicest towns on earth.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank cathmo
Thank you for your comments. I am glad that what started out as not such a great stay was redeemed once you visited us. We all look forward to welcoming you 'home' again in August and to meeting your daughter on that trip.