“A real birthday treat” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #22 of 1,089 Hotels in London
Bridgnorth Shropshire
“A real birthday treat”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2010

What a find (and it does take some finding!!). Hidden away in a cul-de-sac in the St James area of London the hotel gives excellent access for theatres, restaurants and sightseeing but is in a lovely quiet location.
Better than this, it brings back all the olde worlde standards of service and quality that is now so difficult to find. Check in was a delight and included an offer to give us a guided tour of the hotrel before being shown to our room. Our room was super - quality furnishings and decoration, seperate dressing room, excellent marble bathroom and a really comfortable bed.
We had both dinner and breakfast at the hotel and several drinks in the bar. Service throughout was top quality and the food could not be faulted. One short session in the bar was after 5pm so one had to wear a jacket - a very nice touch,
We will certainly return. The hotel is part of the Kempinski chain.

Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Ron Carol W
StaffordHotelGM, General Manager at The Stafford London, responded to this review, 31 August 2010
Thank you for choosing us for your birthday treat. We are all delighted that you enjoyed it and look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (169)
andorra
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2010

I booked this Hotel through an agency and thought I had got a good rate but maybe the room might not be so big. I should not of worried ,as I was upgraded, furthermore I could smoke in it, nowdays this is a real plus. The room was a shear delight, spacious,quiet, well laid out, extremely restful. The breakfast was freshly made and afternoon tea so much we had to leave some. The staff in all departments are eager to please and nothing is to much trouble, its easy to see why as Stuart Procter, the General Manager is constantly at the forefront of the operation. Loved the bar and outside seating area in the mews, on a sunny evening I could not think of anywhere better in the West End of London to enjoy a drink of something. Thank you The Stafford.

2 Thank forestAndorra
It was wonderful to meet you and thank you for selecting The Stafford. I look forward to seeing you again soon.
Sofia, Bulgaria
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2010

I booked this hotel having read the glowing reviews about it on Tripadvisor. To be honest I wish I had read the 2 star reviews, before booking this hotel. I booked a special deal that included an upgrade to a Deluxe King.

I arrived by underground from Heathrow, after a 10 hour flight from Siberia. I met a colleague outside the hotel and entered to check in. It was obvious we were being looked at by the doorman, and was asked if he could help us. I said I was checking in and my colleague, who was not staying at the hotel sat down in the small sitting area near the door. The doorman never took his eyes off either of us. We did not look completely scruffy, but I was not in a suit. We both felt very uncomfortable. Not a great welcome.

I had to wait at the reception whilst the receptionist talked to another receptionist and then took a call whilst I stood there. There were apologies but it was not a good welcome. I was asked about my requests, including 2 newspapers. The hotel sends a guest request sheet to fill in, before arrival. I was given a brief tour of the hotel, but some vital things such as the internet connection in the lobby, breakfast serving times and gym were left out. I dropped my bags in the room, had a wash and left for the afternoon.

On my return with my colleague, we went to the bar but were refused entry as we were not wearing a jacket. I do not mind this at all, as I was informed in advance no jacket no entry, but we were not offered a drink in the room or lounge. We went out to a local supermarket and bought a bottle. After my friend had left I ran a bath. I noticed that the bath water had a lot of long black hairs floating on the surface. It was also obvious that the shower curtain did not smell very nice. I drained the bath, showered it down and rinsed the shower curtain. I was amazed that such a hotel could have a bathroom that was not cleaned properly. It was at this point that I noticed other things that were wrong. The side panel on the bath was falling off. There was red mildew on the grout around the bath. A strip of wood on the bath holding the panel was brown with stains. I look at the pair of scales under the sink and they were broken, glass cracked and one of the feet were missing. This is not what I had expected from such a prestigious hotel. I entered the bath and the soap holder fell off the wall. It had not been attached properly. In essence the bathroom had many maintenance issues, as you can see from the pictures.

I left the bathroom and then noticed that the carpet was filthy, behind the door was a large square patch of dirt and along the edges of the room, where the hoover could not reach was black.

Turn-down was just that, sheets turning down, no slippers or a chocolate. Once again I felt this was a minimal effort given the reputation of this hotel. The bed was a king but it was in fact two singles put together with a join in the middle.

In the morning no newspapers had been delivered. I had requested them and the receptionist had mentioned them, but non were delivered. I went to breakfast. During breakfast I was asked if everything was OK. I answered no and the waitress suggested I talk to the manager.

After breakfast I talked to the Resident Manager about the issues as detailed above. In all fairness he listened and wrote every concern down, but he answered some of my issues with an attitude that "This is The Stafford". Please do not get me wrong, he was very helpful but his attitude that this was The Stafford, was very slightly insulting. I know what I had seen and had some photographs to show what I was saying was the truth. I returned to my room and proceeded to look at every aspect of the room. I found a number of other issues. The headboard with full of bits of white fluff, it had not been cleaned properly for quite some time. The rod that should have been attached to the window was missing 2 screws. The window pane was filthy. The leather panel on the desk was curled upwards exposing the glue and wood. The skirting boards were chipped in many places exposing wood. There were plugs protruding from the walls by the curtains. Overall the room was not clean and there were a lot of maintenance issues.

I received a phone call from the Resident Manager, who informed me that the Hotel was refunding my money and if I would phone him, when I next wished to visit the hotel, he would make sure all would be OK.

I checked out of the room and asked to speak to the manager, Stuart Procter. I took my camera with me and showed him some photo's. I explained to him what the Resident Manager had said about it being "The Stafford" and had looked and found more problems. I was told that the room would be refurbished in 2011. We had a very pleasant chat and I was assured that he would personally ensure my next visit would be exceptional.

I have to conclude this review in this way. For me it is a puzzle how a room in such a condition, could be sold by such a hotel. It is very puzzling as it can only damage the reputation of the hotel. There were failures of housekeeping, maintenance and customer service in terms of the newspapers, bar and the welcome. Quite frankly this is the worst room I have seen in a five star establishment. In my opinion it should not have been sold, until all the issues had been resolved. If the matter had been left like that then my review would have given the hotel a rating of 1 star.

BUT

The story went on. Without any argument and without any problems, my money was refunded. The hotel manager listened to me and apologised for the failures. Too often nobody cares about the issues raised on check out. It would be a very easy thing to rubbish this hotel for the room and below average service, but at this hotel two managers tried to put things right. There was no arguing about the condition of the room or staff failures and I saw a PRO ACTIVE approach, money refunded and a complimentary stay at my convenience.

I could quite easily give this hotel a 1 star rating, but in all fairness I could not ask for much more from either manager, in finding a resolution to what had happened. This managerial approach is sadly lacking from so many London hotels.

I hope the room is cleaned and all the maintenance issues are rectified and a quality check system is put in place, to prevent this from happening again. I will be more than happy to give this hotel a higher rating if it deserves it, after my next stay.

I would recommend this hotel, so long as the issues that are outlined in this review, are dealt with correctly and I have faith they will be.

Thank you Mr Procter for your time on Thursday morning.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled on business
6 Thank Chris_Cotton
It was a pleasure to meet you during your stay. I was sincerely sad to hear that you have never found a good Hotel room in London and rest assured that the refurbishment plan which I informed you about has been approved to ensure a continual investment in the property is undertaken so that all our rooms will be like the fabulous suites and deluxe king rooms at The Stafford.
San Diego, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2010

Stayed for business on many occasions. Suggest you ask for the rooms in the Carriage House. The decor and architecture will make this a more rich experience. The service from all the staff is impeccable. Expect to be known by name if you are there more then a day. the American Bar in the hotel has mostly locals in the late afternoon, for a post work drink.
Minutes away from Hyde Park, and Royal Gardens. A short walk to Soho, and many shopping areas.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank Windsweptone
Thank you for your comments. I'm glad you enjoyed our fabulous Carriage House and I look forward to seeing you home soon.
New Forest
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2010

Upon arrival we were slightly under whelmed by the reception area at the front of the hotel, perhaps needing a bit of an upgrade and some decoration plus some air conditioning. As you move deeper into the hotel there is a much grander feel about it than reception area would suggest. The bar is just fascinating we spent a good 25 minutes on Sunday morning just studying the incredible amount of memorabilia on the walls and ceiling.
We were pleasantly surprised to have been upgraded to a Mews room which was both large and beautifully furnished.
The cobbled courtyard seating area at the rear of the hotel was a fantastic place for a warm summer evening drink.
The hotel makes a huge play on its heritage and tradition and it provides an experience that is quite unlike any other we have had in London. You just get the feeling that if you were to ask why a thing was done in a particular way, the response would be because that is how we have always done it sir!!
Lovely staff, lovely place.

1 Thank JLGNewForest
StaffordHotelGM, General Manager at The Stafford London, responded to this review, 6 July 2010
I am delighted to see that you enjoyed your stay with us. Whilst we are a multinational hotel, we do pride ourselves on remaining quintessentially English and I'm very glad that you enjoyed this ascpect of our character. We look forward to welcoming you 'home' soon.
towcester
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2010

Having traveled extensively for both business & pleasure, I was somewhat surprised to find the room that we had at The Stafford fell well short of my expectations of a 5 star hotel. We booked though Last Minute.com & were offered a 5 star hotel in a "mystery location". We expected a discounted rate but not a "discounted room"!
The bathroom was uncomfortably small, with barely any room to move. The shower was totally inadequate - a shower-head over the bath in a very restricted space with a shower curtain that had to be fought off constantly (& we are both very slim!)
The bedroom, whilst adequate was rather dark & gloomy as it was situated on a low floor with a window that looked out onto a wall & therefore very little daylight.
On the plus side, we found all the staff to be very professional & helpful & the location is great but I'm afraid we would not choose to stay here again or recommend it to friends or colleagues.
Maybe Rm 123 is the only poor room & we were unfortunate to get this one, but we have had far superior rooms in other top hotels for the same price or less & were very disappointed! Ours was not a 5 star experience at all!!

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay. I am saddened to hear that on this occassion we did not live up to your expectations and I would encourage you to contact my office next time you are in London so we may find a room for you that will better suit your needs. I do hope we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back and sending you away with happier memories.
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2010

We booked this hotel as a mystery choice through Lastminute and what a stroke of luck! We stayed two nights in one of the Mews rooms which was way above our expectations a nice big room very comfortably furnished. The service was friendly but impeccable and the concierge staff were also excellent and helpful.The attention to detail was superb- including a free bowl of strawberries delivered to our room.The room service was good value and beautifully presented. It really did feel like home and we were very reluctant to leave. Our only regret was not having breakfast at the hotel but using the Wolsely restaurant around the corner which was overpriced and disappointing.We can't wait to go back and would not stay anywhere else in London.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thanks for sharing your experience with everyone. It is always a pleasure to see when people have enjoyed the upgrades that we are sometimes able to lavish on them. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.