“Exceeded My Expectations, Excellent Value”
Review of Thistle Hyde Park

Thistle Hyde Park
Ranked #417 of 1,076 Hotels in London
Reviewed 7 March 2014

I was prepared to hate this hotel, particularly when my idiot taxi driver left me at the other Thistle hotel about 300 yards down the road. I'd booked it because it was so much cheaper than the other choices from the corporate travel agent that it was pretty much the only hotel I was able to book without breaking policy.

Having had a poor experience at the Thistle Euston some months ago I was wary, but check-in was efficient and quick and my room, much to my surprise, was actually quite nice. It was on the first floor looking onto a quiet side street, a generous size and not too shabby, although some furniture was looking a bit worn.

It being late and I being tired, I opted for the bar menu. The bar was quiet but the service was good and the food was reasonable. The one complaint was £2.75 for a small bottle of mineral water. Many hotels now give you at least one complimentary mineral water in your room and that kind of price is just exploitative - there's no excuse.

Other than that, excellent value for me at £119 for a double room - a good night's sleep and a pleasant stay. I'd certainly stay again if the price is right.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Laura D, Value Centre General Manager at Thistle Hyde Park, responded to this reviewResponded 15 March 2014

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for such a wonderful feedback. I am also pleased that your expectations were met, we will certainly look into the issue of complimentary mineral water in guest rooms. Nonetheless, we hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed 28 February 2014

I spent two nights at the Thistle en route from another country. I stay in the Paddington area on short stopovers because it is close to both the Heathrow Express and Hyde Park. For runners, walkers, nature-lovers, Hyde Park is where you want to be. The Thistle was certainly pricier than other area hotels I've stayed in, but correspondingly a more posh, fresher looking hotel than the others. My room was comfortable, warm, quiet and well-lit. Had to wait a little bit for hot water to kick in, but there is a small sign in the bathroom telling you this. I like to walk everywhere, but Lancaster Gate tube station is just a couple blocks away.

Room Tip: I stayed in room 421 (double bed) and liked it very much.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
Laura D, Value Centre General Manager at Thistle Hyde Park, responded to this reviewResponded 16 March 2014

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for your wonderful feedback about our location and facilities. We are working to address the water pressure issue at the hotel and hope to have it resolved before your next stay with us.

Warm Regards,

Reviewed 24 February 2014

The hotel is in a good position overlooking Hyde Park and close to Lancaster Gate tube station and bus stops. It is quite an attractive Victorian hotel with a few car parking spaces. The staff are very pleasant. We stayed for two nights and our room at the back of the hotel was quiet and not too bad a size for London, but the plumbing was awful, it took ages for the toilet to refill after it had been flushed and we didn't have a proper shower, only a hand held one over the bath which as there was no water pressure was just about useless. We ate breakfast in the hotel both mornings and the quality of the food was very good.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank janhooper50

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for your wonderful and honest feedback. I am sorry to have known of your disappointment with regards to our plumbing system. Thistle Hyde Park was built in 18th century and all the traditional features and fitting were in place. Please be informed that it will soon have it's modern touch and a new plumbing system will be installed. Once again thank you for your great feedback and we hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Faithfully yours,

Reviewed 23 February 2014

My wife and I have recently returned after staying at the Thistle Hyde Park. This is a lovely Victorian hotel with generous which made a refreshing change from the current trend of generic hotels that are taking over the industry.
The staff are a delight and nothing is too much trouble, we found that everything was offered before you ever had to ask for it.
The buffet breakfast was a banquet and everything was high quality and very tasty, I especially enjoyed the sausages and mushrooms.
Thank you to the hotel and its staff for making our stay so memorable, I only wish I could give you 6 stars ******

Room Tip: We stayed in room 226 at the rear of the hotel and found it very quiet and we had an excellent night...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for such a wonderful feedback. I am also pleased that your expectations and preferences has been exceeded. Once again, thank you and we look forward to welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed 23 February 2014

Excellent location for doing anything around Hyde Park, Kensington and Oxford Street. Had a brilliant night's sleep in an amazingly comfortable bed. The room was very spacious and comfortable although the heating was a plug in heater rather than proper central heating.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Reviewer,

I am pleased that your expectations were met during your stay with us at the hotel. Thank you for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 19 February 2014

Nice, small hotel in a good location close to Lancaster Gate station and various busses. The is some noise from the traffic (day and night) in the rooms facing Hyde Park. Generally the room was nice and nicely decorated, but it was very annoying that the toilet did not flush properly. We reported this to the cleaning lady, houskeeping and the reception several times, but it was never fixed during the 3 days we stayed there. We were appalled when we incidently witnessed the cleaning of the bathroom. Our used towels weres used for wiping the bath tub, basin, toilet and floor.... we kept wondering if our tea mugs had been wiped with the same towels and in which order......
Breakfast: good selection of Continental and English breakfast - quality was average.
Staff were friendly and helpful
Will only go back if the plumbing is renovated completely.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Ambast

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you very much for your feedback. Please accept our apologies for the inconvenience experienced during your stay with regards to our plumbing system. While our lovely Victorian hotel was built in 18th century, we are working assiduously to add a modern touch to all infrastructure. We hope to welcome you back in the near future to present the finished product.

Warm Regards,

Reviewed 19 February 2014

I booked this apartment as a wedding present for my sisters honeymoon - the manager Komal was very attentive and made sure they had a great stay with a welcome surprise and great room overlooking the park.

When I came to visit, the hotel room was lovely - a decent size for London as well.

They had a great stay, no complaints.

Thanks again!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Reviewer,

I am also pleased that your wedding present for your sister's honeymoon was a success and that they enjoyed their stay with us. Thank you very much for allowing us to share in her big day! We look forward to your return.