“Stay for the experience, but do not expect value for money.”
Review of The Ritz London

The Ritz London
Ranked #25 of 1,063 Hotels in London
Belfast, United Kingdom
“Stay for the experience, but do not expect value for money.”
Reviewed 27 June 2011

The reputation and history of The Ritz is impressive and more than a little intimidating however during my stay in April this year I found the staff were very friendly and warm. The service was at times "stuffy" but that is their style and this hotel does make all of its guests feel welcome.

The room I stayed in was very grand and large but the décor did look a little old fashioned and chintzy rather than elegant and classic... is it maybe time for an overhaul?

A stay at The Ritz definitely comes at a premium so it was disappointing that there were no tea or coffee making facilities in the room. Bottled water is provided at turn down however I find this is often provided in 4 and even 3 star hotels, so it would have been nice to have seen a few "five star" touches to reflect the luxury paid for. The sleep quality was very good, the bed was extremely comfortable, one of the best I have ever slept in.

Whilst it was lovely to have experienced The Ritz I did leave feeling disappointed in the version of luxury offered and overall felt the stay was very poor value for money.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Dante0303

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (468)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 June 2011

Stayed here for two nights. Staff at check in really friendly, beautiful common areas, bar a real throw back to the 1920's, but beware, no trainers even if they are Prada, no Jeans even if the are Armani etc etc, jacket and tie for men. And take your key with you when you go out of you may get locked out!,
Rooms are what you would expect, beautiful linen and towels. Room service very expensive. Parking at the hotel will cost you £60 per day and wifi £26.

So to sum up if you have the attire and the money it's well worth a visit.

Room Tip: If at first you don't succeed try try again!
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank travel-happy08
Kent
Reviewed 24 June 2011

At the beginning of June my now husband and I were lucky enough to get married at the Ritz and wow what an incredible experience. It was everything we had hoped for and more, a beautiful happy day with the most oppulent and stunning surroundings and the most incredible staff we have ever come across. It truly made our special day extra special and totally blew our guests away, everyone had such a brilliant time! The girls in the Salon were lovely and made all of us feel very welcome and looked after, we had such a good time getting ready and having our hair and makeup done! I will really treasure those memories of our girly time before the wedding!

The food was outstanding, the wine and champagne didn't stop flowing and the organisation on the staffing side was faultless!

We also stayed in the Trafalgar Suite which was the most fantastic room I have ever been in and it was such a treat when we returned to the room that evening to rose petals on the bed, champagne on ice and strawberries dipped in chocolate - very romantic and every last detail had been considered!

When we decided to get married we knew that wanted a small wedding with about 40 people but somewhere so beautiful that it really represented our feelings of the day...it took us 2 years to find a suitable venue and I can't think of anywhere more appropriate and wonderful and I know that this hotel will always have a place in our hearts. Jane Sturgess, the Events Manager, was a delight to work with and ensured that everything ran to plan along with her colleague Nick, the Operations Manager. Both them and their team worked so hard and we are so grateful as we have the most fantastic memories of the day!

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
5 Thank blondali
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 June 2011

I read a number of reviews before deciding to stay at the Ritz and I ignored most of the negative comments, I am very glad I did. From the moment my wife and I arrived for her birthday treat we felt totally at home. The welcome at check in was friendly and warm and we both felt that the offer to provide anything we requested to improve our stay was sincere.

On being shown to our room I was happy to see that tales of faded glory were not accurate, our superior king room was immaculate and well appointed and everything was in perfect order. Obviously a great deal of effort had been put into getting things right. The flowers I had requested for my wife were stunning and exactly what I would have chosen.

Afternoon tea in the Palm Court was a delight and the service superb. Understated but efficient and fuss free, Dinner in the restaurant was very enjoyable. The restaurant well laid out with the tables nicely spaced. Service was again top class, attentive and friendly but not intrusive, it was obvious that the staff, particularly the sommelier had had the confidence that comes with a deep knowledge of their craft. It was also obvious that those behind the scenes in the kitchen knew their onions and we enjoyed a great dinner.

There was pleasant piano music early in the evening followed by a quartet with a singer and this was pitched just right for the surroundings.

On retiring to our room champagne and chocolates had been left for us and when I enquired, as I had not ordered them, it was a pleasant surprise to find they were complimentary.

Breakfast was a relaxed affair with a very good buffet starter followed by a freshly cooked main choice. On checking out after breakfast our bags were stored for us whilst we went shopping and again without fuss were produced to place in our taxi when we left.

Certainly there was very good security, I returned to the hotel after collecting a bag I had left in our car and was challenged in a firm but polite manner before I reached the lifts and we were both challenged after returning from shopping later that day. We did not mind at all since this made us feel that the hotel, it's guests, and their privacy were well protected.

Overall from our first welcome to our last goodbye we felt as if we were valued guests and that we were treated in the same manner as regular guests or others staying much longer. There was never the slightest hint of snobbishness, just very efficient attentive service from a staff who seemed to really want to please.

The dress code certainly keeps up standards and I hope it is never relaxed. If people prefer to wear trainers and baseball caps or object to the security, they may feel more comfortable elsewhere. I understand there are several cheap burger joints nearby.

For us the Ritz exceeded our expectations in every way, an unforgettable experience. Yes it is expensive but worth every penny. If the Ritz intends to leave a lasting impression, it has. We would not consider staying anywhere else in London

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank ianj8793
Siesta Key, Florida
Reviewed 14 June 2011

The Ritz is in a great spot, but the place feels faded, and out of touch. The dress code for the public areas, is just so old world and out of touch, that I felt it more annoying than charming.
There are so many other choices in London. Ic oudl really not see staying here again.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank mdbasile
Reviewed 14 June 2011

If you stay in 1 hotel in your life, stay at the Ritz. Stunning elegant awaits. Rooms are gilded delights, very well appointed and sumptuous. The restaurant, palm court and lobby are a sight to behold and the art deco fabulous rivolli bar is pure glamour!! Don't hesitate!

• Stayed July 2010
2 Thank Dizneyfreek
Oceanside, New York
Reviewed 9 June 2011

I recently went to London with friends, ladies only and needed a place that could accommodate three in a room. We were given a beautiful room with two double beds and a pull out couch. The service was fantastic, high tea special and the slippers and fresh water at our bedside every night
wonderful. The concierge could not be more helpful and the doorman as well. We felt safe and secure by ourselves out of the country and would go back in a heartbeat...Pricey, but a trip we will never forget.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with friends