“a fading museum ; hey the empire is dead”
Review of The Ritz London

The Ritz London
Ranked #29 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed 6 August 2011

a return trip ; my fifth in three years; will also likely be my last. While the Ritz still
has a great concierge team; none of the back of house staff seem to speak even rudimentary english, the breakfast was a bad selection and quite expensive; and the front office staff seem to think the sun still doesn't set on the British Empire and that they are at its centre.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
11  Thank laoban173

Reviewed 1 August 2011

My wife and I stayed here for one day as we had one extra night on the tail end of a long trip to Europe. We decided to splurge and stay at the Ritz as we figured we would need it after a long trip. It was worth it. The service was impeccable as would be expected out of a hotel with the reputation that the Ritz has. Our phones had pretty much had their fill of European Wi-Fi by this time so the hotel promptly provided us with a laptop so we could finish up some last minute travel details and get up to speed with what was going on back at home before we flew back to Chicago. The concierge set us up with a fantastic restaurant, witch I'm sure would have sent us away if we just come looking for a table, for our last night in London. The building is beautiful and the rooms are extremely well appointed. The only two complaints are that like a lot of old hotels the plumbing is a little touchy so the shower was an experience but once you got the hang of it it was fine and the woman who showed us around when we first arrived forgot to tell us to leave our key at the bell desk when we went out and where the guest elevators were so we were somewhat confused when we left the first time. Minor stuff that pales in comparison with the rest of the hotel.

One heads up, there is a dress code for the common areas of the hotel which they take VERY seriously so be forewarned that they will shoo anyone who is not in compliance right out the door.

Don't get me wrong, the room was a lot of money, even for just one night but if you are looking to splurge on a real treat look no further.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank jbulth39
Reviewed 31 July 2011

The Ritz is a lovely hotel. Really it is. The service is impeccable. I just returned from a 4 day stay at The Ritz. While it is a lovely hotel, I don't think I would ever stay there again. It just isn't for me. The reason is that the Ritz is so formal; too formal for me. At the end of a long day of sightseeing I would like to go to the bar and have a drink without needing to make a reservation. Furthermore, I'd like to have that drink without having to dress up so much. And this is the Ritz. Gentlemen must have a tie and coat on for all rooms in the hotel save for breakfast. If you like this type of formality, than the Ritz will send you over the moon. For me personally, it is too much.

I've read other posts compalining about the security. Personally i was grateful. Considering the high profile target this hotel would make for terrorists in a a high profile city such as London, I don't think the security measures are too much. The first time we walked in we were asked why we were there. Once we said to check in it was fine. Others were walking in for the tea. The bottom line is that security means you are expected to have a purpose for being at the hotel. Once your purpose is known everyone is fine, even the inquiry is gracious. And, once a security person saw mye once, I was never asked again and was always greeted with a welcome back and my name.. I suppose you can take these measures as an affront or a comfort. I chose comfort.

The room was elegant and well appointed. The turn down service includes a sealed, glass bottle of water by the bed side each night. The bathrooms are luxurious and the bed! That bed may be too soft for some, but I found it to be the most comfortable bed ever, with eiderdown pillows. I slept great. There is outside noise from the street even with the windows closed, but it didn't bother me and I'm pretty sensisitive to that stuff.

As i said earlier you need reservations for the bar and be dressed appropriately. No jeans or sneakers permitted. It was a pain to me, but I will say the cocktails are superb! Expensive, but superb. We only drank at the bar one night. In the immediate area there are many pubs, bars and cafes. This hotel is so centrally located there is no need to feel slave to the facilities within. The concierge is more than helpful in making reservations. He was also able to get us into one restaurant that was already booked. Somehow he convinced them to fit us in. When we arrived a special table had been set up to accomodate us.

All in all The Ritz is truly an amazing hotel and one which I know many dream of staying at and others would stay nowhere else. I understand that and I fault no one for feeling that way. For me The Ritz is simply too formal and when I'm on vacation I want to be able to be more comfortable and down to earth.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank BijouxButtercup
Reviewed 30 July 2011

We stayed at The Ritz for one night and couldn't fault the customer service or our surroundings. This really is what you expect from a 5 star London hotel. The staff were very attentive and extremely respectful, the room was beautiful and the food was delicious. The staff certainly did their best to make you feel special, without being intrusive. It was a once in a lifetime experience for me and could never afford to go back, but I would recommend it if you're looking for something extra special.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 July 2011

There is nothing to enhance your mood than to wake up at The Ritz and call down for Breakfast while sitting on your plump sofa, Friday nights are special, yes you have the teas going on all the time, however you can't begrudge that as The Ritz costs the National debt of Chile to run and as a consequence barely makes any money at all
and they need these Teas to balance the books. In fact none of these older hotels
make much at all, but your patronage is important as it keeps well loved friends
open and great people in work, so spend away friends.

However walk down the hall further past the hall to the Ritz Club doors and towards the lights of the Restaurant, if ever a hotel had a beating heart it is the Ritz Dining room on a Friday Night when the Orchestra plays you are transported back to the
very dawn of the 20th Century. You are however in lick as most of these nostalgia
trips are accompanied by what can only be described as glorified ready meals, yet
the Ritz Restaurant maintains a brigade of the most talented Chef's in the UK and
they compete to regale you with choice cuts and treats from their ample larders.

Do enjoy their array of Soufflés, not that pretentious tiny things you get elsewhere, lovely pudding basin sized offerings, light as a feather yet parcels of decadence within.

Come and enjoy The Ritz, but do something special book the Restaurant on the best night of the week, step back a Century and enjoy yourselves.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank ChDYquem
Reviewed 28 July 2011

The staff was arrogant and surly. The furnishings were shabby and worn and the place smelled dusty. Heavy old drapes, linens and rugs added to the worn out vintage feel. save your money and find a boutique hotel for better value. It's close to Picadilly and shopping, but my son got pick pocketed in Picadilly while the police watched and did nothing! I think they get a cut or something. London was a big let down, the palaces and sights were rather dinky next to photographs. Everything is overpriced and the food is nasty. That said I was not pleased at what was supposed to be a first class hotel.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank actressdiva
Reviewed 20 July 2011

Firstly the security is high unlike any other hotel in London. We were shown to our room which had a lovely view over Green park. The whole place feels extremely spacious and the room did not disappoint. The bed was huge and extremely comfortable.
We then went out for dinner at Le Gavrohe which we can highly recommend. The doorman at the Ritz was struggling to get us a Taxi so rather than have us wait they gave us the use of one of their private Jaguars and driver to take us to Le Gavroche so we could arrive in style.
After dinner we a couple of cocktails in the Rivoli bar in the Ritz. It was lovely.
The whole experience was fantastic and it is well worth the money for a special occasion.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple