“Lovely weekend”

Ranked #25 of 1,063 Hotels in London
Halifax, United Kingdom
“Lovely weekend”
Reviewed 8 January 2012

A lovely weekend in a rather lovely hotel. If you want old fashioned elegance then this is the place for you. I usually book more modern boutique hotels, but this was an experience to remember. Exquisite decor, sumptious beds and pillows. Superb service. Room upgraded by request. I found the room was a little on the small size and that afternoon tea was disappointing, as someone else has written Claridges wins hands down. Perhaps management should take note. Dont do breakfast so I cant comment. But overall a great weekend

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank grace c

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (468)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Paris
Reviewed 8 January 2012

For New Years Eve, my partner and I had decided to spend it with family friends at the Marriott County Hall in London, as they offered a package where you could attend a gala dinner, followed by fireworks. This included staying there and checking out on the 2nd of January. As my partner and I had an extra day in London, we decided to enquire about another night at the Marriott - surprisingly, the rate they offered us was the same rate as New Years Eve (quite highly priced) and they didn't even budge to change it. Frustrated, my partner and I decided to check out and find elsewhere. Just for the sake of it, we had a look at the Ritz and discovered that they were offering a double room (with Queen sized bed) for a quarter of the price of what the Marriott offered and inclusive of internet access! We took it immediately and we never looked back. From the minute we arrived at the Ritz, the service was impeccable and full security was offered so we always felt safe. Every door opened and a smile and hello was received from everyone. Ben, at Reception, was incredibly helpful, giving us a full introductory tour of our hotel and room and attending to our every need! We even had the opportunity to book in for the famous high-tea at the Ritz at the last minute, when according to reception, you had to book two months in advance! Overall, I would definitely return to the Ritz without a moment's hesitation!

Room Tip: Mondays tend to be at a better rate and it is also worthwhile enquiring about deals that include unl...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Flaneuse1
Aberdeen, Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 January 2012

Having visited the Rivoli Bar for the first time, in November last 2011 - I was disappointed. The place is nice, and the cocktails were good, but atmosphere was lacking. They also insisted I wear a dinner jacket to the bar (which they lend you if you dont have) - fair enough, though there was only 2 other couples in the bar. I later went to the American Bar at the Savoy which was full of atmosphere and an absolute pleasure to be there.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 6 January 2012

The Ritz London is, no doubt, an excellent choice for those looking to pamper themselves while in London. Upon arriving to this beautiful English landmark, you receive unsurpassable service. You are welcomed by very attentive bellboys who, will try to help you all through your stay. The personnel at the front desk is pleasant and welcoming and pay close attention to detail; the building is, an architectural gem.

The Ritz does enforce a dress code in certain areas of the hotel, not if you are coming back from your day touristic activities, etc., of course.

Food was not the best The Ritz had to offer. As of service, I should say it was not up to the general standards. We had an unpleasant experience with a room service waiter, who expected quite a larger tip than what is customary or above (20%) and let it know by smashing the door upon leaving the room. However, I MUST say that when this was brought to the attention of the management, they responded professionally and offered us an apology, promising to review this event with their personnel.

Concierge was helpful and very pleasant, they offered us a complimentary car to take us to a theatre at Piccadilly; the driver was very courteous too.

The hotel is at a short walking distance from Mayfair, High Park, and Piccadilly Circus, just across of beautiful Green Park. Green Park subway station is just steps away of the hotel, and many buses pass on Piccadilly Street: they would take you almost anywhere in downtown London. However, I must say that I found most bus routes quite confusing (don't expect drivers to be helpful). Taxies are ready and available: London taxies offer one of the best services in the world.

All in all, I enjoyed my stay at the London Ritz Hotel very much; I would highly recommend it to anyone wishing to experience one of the best traditional hotels in the world.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank WorldYeye
wayne,pa
Reviewed 6 January 2012

I have just returned from an 8 day stay with daughter over Xmas. This also was for daughter's birthday, so I was looking for a very special experience. I read all the reviews on TA for many hotels, and I am so glad in the end I chose the Ritz. One of the main reasons I did was their affiliation with Leading Hotels of the World, a fabulous group. As a member we got free continental breakfast (which cannot be compared to what we call a continental breakfast in the U.S.) and free internet, as well as a welcoming gift and early check in if available. In addition, if there were any issues, I knew I could count on LHW to straighten it out. We did arrive early and our suite overlooking Piccadilly St and Green Park was available. What a relief! A reservation manager escorted us to our room, and sent up coffee and tea. Words cannot adequately describe how beautiful the suite was. There was a separate bedroom and living room, set up with a sofa bed, though I did use a rollaway. The bathroom was clean and spacious, and I loved the heated towel rack. I personally loved the decor- we found it festive and warm. The location of the room allowed us to watch the New Year's Parade from our room, as it overlooked the very start of the parade. What a special experience!
Staff throughout our stay was pleasant and attentive. We wanted the heat adjusted and that was done immediately. The concierge staff (there were several) were all very helpful, and arranged for us to get tix to the sold out Da Vinci show at the National Gallery, a reservation at Helene Darroze, and booked a car for us from the airport and back from the best car service, Brown's, ever. (Kudos to Graham, our driver arriving and departing- super nice guy who gave us a mini tour upon arrival in London and helped us tremendously departing at the airport- request him if in London if you can). We had room service breakfast each morning and the presentation was always excellent and more than we could eat. We had the tea New Year's Day for daughter's birthday- prior to this we had had tea at the Plaza in NY a few months back, which was also lovely. However, nothing can compare to the tea at the Ritz! Again, fabulous service and food. Sandwiches were replenished as needed- I have never seen this before. I had arranged for a small cake. It was a delightful experience.
We ate in the Palm Court as well New Year's Eve. It was fairly expensive but worth it. The service and food were excellent, and at the end a marching band appeared and escorted us into the main dining room for a fireworks show. One of the best New Year's ever!
I also must commend the staff at the Rivoli Bar, especially Harry and Nicholas. I was always treated beautifully. I loved sitting at the bar and ending the day with a glass of champagne. One night we ordered the caviar- what a special treat! We also had lunch one day in the Bar also, and the sandwiches were very good.
Yes, there is a dress code, but I think it adds to the ambiance in the hotel, and makes it more special. Jeans can be worn in the bar anyhow. I was able to see the lobbies of several of the other hotels I had considered- the Dorchester and the Connaught - and I did not get the same warm, welcoming feeling that I got at the Ritz. Yes, there is extra security too, but they were all nice guys and I was glad they were there.
The location was excellent- near Bond St, Regent St and taxis were always available. A Boots pharmacy is across the street. The double-decker bus tours start down Piccadilly St, and there is an underground next to the hotel. When it rained, the doormen were there to help you out of the taxi, holding an umbrella out for you.
I can truly say the Ritz was the best part of the trip. We were treated like royalty. I recommend the Ritz highly- truly one of the best hotel stays ever!!

Room Tip: Book a suite if you can overlooking Piccadilly and Green Park
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
5 Thank simmie17
Northern Ireland
Reviewed 5 January 2012

If Tripadvisor had a "Good" rather than "very good" rating I would use it to describe our stay.
We had a good time but for the price I would have expected better service. Everyone was very nice but seemed a bit aimless and lacking direction. Maybe the Manager was on holiday over the Christmas period. A few examples - the young man whom we first met at reception was very friendly and charming. Unfortunately the key to our room was missing. We had to be escorted up to and let into the room and were told the key would be brought up. We went down for afternoon tea and afterwards went back to reception. The same young man seemed not to remember us at all or the fact that we were missing our room key. Again we had to be escorted to our room by a member of staff and again we were told the key would be left up. This didn't happen. When we called at reception again on our way out to the theatre we were told the hall porter had the key. If so, why didn't someone bring it to us? As it was we felt like naughty schoolchildren being escorted everywhere by a prefect.

Afternoon tea was very nice but not as good as Claridges. Breakfast in the morning was fine but when we went down although the room was 70% empty we were asked to wait in the lobby until a table was prepared. So all in all not the sort of service one would expect if paying almost £500 a night.

The decor is very lavish and OTT - definitely not for minamilists. One the plus side, we had a great night's sleep in a very comfortable bed, enjoyed lovely Highgrove toiletries and the hotel has a brilliant location.

But is it worth the money - doubtful.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank NorthernIrelandRosie
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 January 2012

The rooms are gorgeous, the pillows are like giant marshmallows & the thread count on the sheets is worth the price. The decor is exquisite, & the service is excellent. Breakfast is expensive but was delicious, the tea was piping hot & fresh. The private membership club to house guests was like stepping into a Speakeasy & it's a life time membership, do anytime you find yourself in London then you are good to go. The only thing I will say is their cocktails in both the bar & the private lounge were bad. But the martinis aside, it is a magical hotel. Just remember to bring something smart to wear.

• Stayed December 2011