“Judy's Review of the Ritz:”
Review of The Ritz London

The Ritz London
Ranked #33 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed 4 June 2012

We’re on our way to catch the 7:15 AM flight from Honolulu to Los Angeles where we’ll catch a connecting flight to London. Too early for Bloody Marys so we have tea and coffee at the only airport concession stand that’s open. The Honolulu airport feels strangely weird in this nearly deserted condition. We watch the sun come up in all its peach and apricot glory.
I’m in shambles by the time I crawl off the plane. The dry air and lack of solid sleep has added 10 years to my demeanor, I’m sure. But we’re soon greeted by the welcome sight of Roy, our driver. Dressed smartly, he helps us gather up our luggage and we proceed into London town to the Ritz. It feels good to settle into the back seat of our car and be driven for the next five days without worries or cares.
We are successfully registered and shown to our “deluxe” room and despite a somewhat peculiar layout a long hall containing two closets (one concealing the mini bar) and the entrance to the bathroom leads from our front door to our bedroom, it is indeed a luxurious suite of rooms. With its floor-to-ceiling French doors opening onto Green Park, its full flowing, heavy floral tie-back draperies, its gold leaf moldings and marble mantled fireplace, it is exactly what I had envisioned.
The Ritz Restaurant: I am in awe. I had been unaware that this dining room is considered one of the most beautiful in all of Europe. It is of such opulence that it takes my breath away. The entire room is comprised of round tables set for two or four. White tablecloths flowing to the floor contrast with red crushed velvet chairs. Crystal and silverware gleam and multiply in the mirrored surfaces. Overhead there are so many chandeliers that I later learn the ceiling had to be specially reinforced to hold their weight. We are seated in front of a gold leaf Neptune with various nymphs and maidens reclining in a sylvan glade painted on the wall behind him. I reach for my napkin in order to arrange it on my lap and in so doing touch the tablecloth. We are in serious linen country here. I have never felt such rich, heavy, damask in my life. Add to that the fact that it is overlaid on a second heavy linen round that falls to the floor. This in an age when in most restaurants you’re lucky to get a place mat.
Next stop is the Rivoli Bar. All male patrons must wear jacket and tie but we knew this so Freddy is prepared. Not so some of the others that try to get in and are gently offered a box of carefully folded ties from which to choose and a house jacket. It’s an interesting study to watch how different people play their roles in this little scene. Some huff off; some smile and go off to fetch their own tie and jacket. The Rivoli Bar is a sensuous room, all done up in art deco, with gleaming surfaces of polished wood, mirrored walls, velvet covered chairs, Lalique glass, and gold leaf everywhere. The seductively curved bar seats four and exudes an air of privilege and exclusivity. I order a double bourbon with a splash of soda and Freddy has scotch. Nicolas, the bartender, is straight out of a movie with his impeccably white dinner jacket and slicked back Leonardo Dicaprio hair. He charmingly chats us up and we find out that he is German-Belgique. During the conversation he suggests we inquire at the front desk about becoming members of The Ritz Club. We did. We repair to the The Ritz Club for cognac and Calvados. The bar in The Ritz Club, warm and gracious, envelops us in quiet luxury. We are Cary Grant and Katharine Hepburn in a 1930s film.
Too soon, six days have passed and we must head home to Hawaii. It feels sad to leave. Everyone has made us feel so welcome and the time has passed by so quickly, but we’re organized and ready to head back to Heathrow. Freddy takes the elevator to the lobby but I linger a bit by wandering slowly down the central circular staircase, bidding the fairyland that is the Ritz, “Goodbye.”

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Frederic1
Exec0ffice1, Managing Director at The Ritz London, responded to this reviewResponded 7 June 2012

How wonderful that you had such a seemingly ideal time with us. I am very pleased that we can count you as satisfied customers and hope that your next stay will live up to the very high standards that we have set ourselves. SB

Write a ReviewReviews (3,702)

Reviewed 2 June 2012

Wow. Just returned from having lunch at the Ritz. I really cannot recommend the experience enough. Sure you mention the Ritz, you expect top hotel and stuffy staff. Nothing could be further from the truth, friendly, efficient, knowledgeable are just a few of the adjectives to describe them, but I could add a lot more. You are perfection, I cannot see how you could improve it.

Add lunch at the Ritz, to the list of things to do before you die

A Wonderful, wonderful experience. And by the way the foods not bad at all.

Jonathan Tagg

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank JONGuildford
Reviewed 2 June 2012

On a whim I decided to do a "London" experience and book the Ritz. I didn't really plan it out and flew in last-minute but the reception staff were incredibly professional, charismatic and composed - it is obvious they were trained well (or just incredibly used to eccentricity).

The room was beautifully decorated, spacious and one of the rare hotels where the photos on the website realistically represent the rooms. There was an outlet for North American (or Swiss...I forget) plugs which was a life saver since I didn't even consider a UK adaptor. I was not a fan of the bed, the mattress seemed ancient and clearly saw and felt better days. The bathroom was perfect, I could have slept in there instead and be happy - but the scale was unnecessary, I don't want to think about my weight Ritz! Besides the mattress quality - I really could find no fault with the room.

I stayed here alone - but it's the perfect hotel for couples, the ambiance and decor is incredibly romantic and charming. It's definitely not a business hotel, based on how convoluted the setup process was for wireless internet. Overall, an enjoyable experience but I think my parents would appreciate it more.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank grumpykins

Thank you for taking the time to write up your comments. I am always very appreciative of remarks praising our service standards as this is where we at The Ritz should excell. I am very grateful for your kind words and will have housekeeping run an audit on the mattresses! With thanks again. SB

Reviewed 1 June 2012

Stayed just before Christmas and enjoyed afternoon tea and one night's accommodation. Aside from breakfast (typical hotel, nothing special) and afternoon tea, we didn't eat in the restaurant so I can only comment on the accommodation and service, all of which live up to their legendary reputation.

Room wasn't the standard offering, but still it was much larger than expected with a high level of finish throughout. Most of all it was quiet, something lacking in some of the other 4*/5* London hotels I've stayed in.

Afternoon tea was an experience, in a positive way, but it is very expensive (as you would expect) for what is basically a never ending plate of cucumber sandwiches and scones and cups of tea. With a glass of champagne each it came to £110. Still, the room itself makes it worth the money for a one-off.

In summary, this is one of the best hotels in London and possibly the World FULL STOP.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank EwaltGold

My thanks for taking the time to place your feedback. Of course I am biased, but firmly agree with you that The Ritz is among the best hotels in the world. I do hope that you will be tempted to eat in our Restaurant next time you come to London - the food is quite extra special. SB

Reviewed 31 May 2012

Excellent! A lovely experience and a great thing to do for a special occasion. It really does feel special. There is a pianist playing and the whole occasion is just so very English. Really lovely. Of course there are three-tier cakestands, lovely little sandwiches, cakes etc. All the flowers in the hotel were so beautiful and smelt divine. I would highly recommend this exprience.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank PFNottingham
Reviewed 28 May 2012

We returned to the Ritz for our 10th Wedding anniversary for 1 night having stayed there on our first night of marriage. We had previously made it a regular wedding anniversary visit, though after a bad experience over a billing error (where I was told at reception to prove the package I had purchased existed else be charged in full) this stopped. We really wanted to return for our 10th anniversary though we were a little nervous at trying it again. Let me say upfront, everything was perfect in every way. First impressions; our bags were taken from the cab, Reception gave us a warm welcome and showed us to our room and Concierge welcomed us and offered their assistance should we need it. Our room was a superior which was a perfect size for the 2 of us and immaculately clean. The unsung heroes here are the housekeeping who kept the room perfect and provided the most impressive turn down service to come back to from dinner we have experienced. We had tea in the afternoon and this too was wonderful with a warm greeting from the Maitre d' and excellent service throughout. We dined in the Ritz Restaurant and our last experience of this was many years ago. The quality of menu and food was outstanding and the service far more attentive than our visit of years gone by. Previously when we ate at the restaurant it was as it was convenient as part of the hotel. Now we would return to the Restaurant on its own merits. Yes the Ritz is expensive and to fully enjoy the experience you need to embrace and enjoy the formality. Budget not just for the room rate but for drinks in the bar and tea/meals and you can enjoy the whole Ritz experience without stressing about the price. Thanks to the Ritz for a wonderful anniversary and reminding us of our first stay on our night of marriage.
Mr & Mrs Moran

Room Tip: Superior rooms are great and a still a good size, though they differ room to room on layout.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank BigBadDom
Exec0ffice1, Managing Director at The Ritz London, responded to this reviewResponded 29 May 2012

Dear Mr & Mrs Moran, the positive energy is simply leaping off the screen from your comments! It is lovely that you enjoyed your stay so much and that you appreciated how hard our Housekeeping department works - unsung heroes indeed. I must also agree with your comment regarding how excellent our Restaurant is in its own merit, I do hope you will visit it independently when you are not resident in the Hotel. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. SB

Reviewed 28 May 2012

I like Lunching The value is good and this was no exception.
Good to see a proper dress code as well! People in good clothes and shoes adds to the atmosphere and I think a lot of people enjoy dressing properly as we did!
The food was excellent and the wine , although expensive was delicious. The Souffle was superb .
One of my party accidently dropped a fork but there was no attempt to remove and replace it as had been the case in some less saloubrious venues . This however was a minor irritation when the "Bigger picture" was so well painted. The Maitre 'D was friendly and introduced himself and the service was prompt and smooth! The scallops (A Ceviche) were so fresh they were still twitching! The petit four were a bit random in presentation but really tasty and well contrived
A memorable occasion and one I would be happy to repeat.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family