“Hotel of The Royals”

Ranked #32 of 1,068 Hotels in London
Bronx, New York
“Hotel of The Royals”
Reviewed 8 June 2012

If you want to feel like you are a queen or a king by all means stay at the Ritz London. The staff and the surroundings will definitely make it happen. This is the only hotel Warranted by The Queen and Prince of England. When you stay at The Ritz you will be treated like royalty. No task is too difficult for these superbly trained hallporters, concierge and maids. Service happens fast and if something isn't to your liking it will be fixed ' now'. Dining at The Ritz is another incredible experience. You can wear an evening gown and your best diamonds any niight and not feel overdressed. As a matter of fact you will feel right in place with the sumptuous surroundings and white gloved service of The Ritz Dining room. Not ony that but the ingredients used in some of the dishes and juices come straight from the Prince's organic farms, The Duchy at Highgrove. Everything about this place exudes elegance. This was my first time at The Ritz but I will be back very soon so that I can again be treated like the queen that I am. Thanks to all of you at The Ritz that made me feel so special.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
Exec0ffice1, Managing Director at The Ritz London, responded to this review, 11 June 2012
What a generous review! We aim to treat everyone who is a guest at The Ritz like royalty, and I am delighted that you felt that was the case. I am very impressed that you clearly know about our status as a Royal Warrant Holder and that we procure organic produce from Prince Charles's country seat, Highgrove. I look forward to welcoming you back to The Ritz on your next visit to London. SB

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (476)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 June 2012

The Ritz......even the name has a certain something.....and so, of course, does the hotel!

My husband and I had dinner in the gorgeous gilded dining room recently and it was as good as ever. The food was consistently delicious and the service was second-to-none.....as it always is!

It brought back memories for us of many happy times staying at The Ritz in London. We have had some lovely suites with fantastic views over Green Park and I do recall the exquisite marble fireplaces in every room in the suite and that they had drawing rooms big enough for entertaining dozens of friends for cocktails.

It's nice to know that some things in this world never change, regardless of the onslaught from certain sections of society who might best be characterised as "uncouth".......The Ritz sails on, a perfect, peaceful, magnificent and safe haven from all the unpleasant individuals and circumstances of the world......and we hope that it will continue to delight its guests for many decades or centuries to come!

The afternoon tea is, of course, simply perfect, and so is the setting among the little gilded wooden chairs, the sofas and the potted palms.....everyone who comes to London should make a point of going to The Ritz for afternoon tea, even if not for dinner!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Exec0ffice1, Managing Director at The Ritz London, responded to this review, 7 June 2012
I am so pleased to agree with your observation regarding the upholding of traditional values and service. We do work hard at maintaining what I believe to be the best of the old without totally excluding new ideas and technology. Thank you for your very kind feedback. SB
Honolulu, Hawaii
Reviewed 4 June 2012

We’re on our way to catch the 7:15 AM flight from Honolulu to Los Angeles where we’ll catch a connecting flight to London. Too early for Bloody Marys so we have tea and coffee at the only airport concession stand that’s open. The Honolulu airport feels strangely weird in this nearly deserted condition. We watch the sun come up in all its peach and apricot glory.
I’m in shambles by the time I crawl off the plane. The dry air and lack of solid sleep has added 10 years to my demeanor, I’m sure. But we’re soon greeted by the welcome sight of Roy, our driver. Dressed smartly, he helps us gather up our luggage and we proceed into London town to the Ritz. It feels good to settle into the back seat of our car and be driven for the next five days without worries or cares.
We are successfully registered and shown to our “deluxe” room and despite a somewhat peculiar layout a long hall containing two closets (one concealing the mini bar) and the entrance to the bathroom leads from our front door to our bedroom, it is indeed a luxurious suite of rooms. With its floor-to-ceiling French doors opening onto Green Park, its full flowing, heavy floral tie-back draperies, its gold leaf moldings and marble mantled fireplace, it is exactly what I had envisioned.
The Ritz Restaurant: I am in awe. I had been unaware that this dining room is considered one of the most beautiful in all of Europe. It is of such opulence that it takes my breath away. The entire room is comprised of round tables set for two or four. White tablecloths flowing to the floor contrast with red crushed velvet chairs. Crystal and silverware gleam and multiply in the mirrored surfaces. Overhead there are so many chandeliers that I later learn the ceiling had to be specially reinforced to hold their weight. We are seated in front of a gold leaf Neptune with various nymphs and maidens reclining in a sylvan glade painted on the wall behind him. I reach for my napkin in order to arrange it on my lap and in so doing touch the tablecloth. We are in serious linen country here. I have never felt such rich, heavy, damask in my life. Add to that the fact that it is overlaid on a second heavy linen round that falls to the floor. This in an age when in most restaurants you’re lucky to get a place mat.
Next stop is the Rivoli Bar. All male patrons must wear jacket and tie but we knew this so Freddy is prepared. Not so some of the others that try to get in and are gently offered a box of carefully folded ties from which to choose and a house jacket. It’s an interesting study to watch how different people play their roles in this little scene. Some huff off; some smile and go off to fetch their own tie and jacket. The Rivoli Bar is a sensuous room, all done up in art deco, with gleaming surfaces of polished wood, mirrored walls, velvet covered chairs, Lalique glass, and gold leaf everywhere. The seductively curved bar seats four and exudes an air of privilege and exclusivity. I order a double bourbon with a splash of soda and Freddy has scotch. Nicolas, the bartender, is straight out of a movie with his impeccably white dinner jacket and slicked back Leonardo Dicaprio hair. He charmingly chats us up and we find out that he is German-Belgique. During the conversation he suggests we inquire at the front desk about becoming members of The Ritz Club. We did. We repair to the The Ritz Club for cognac and Calvados. The bar in The Ritz Club, warm and gracious, envelops us in quiet luxury. We are Cary Grant and Katharine Hepburn in a 1930s film.
Too soon, six days have passed and we must head home to Hawaii. It feels sad to leave. Everyone has made us feel so welcome and the time has passed by so quickly, but we’re organized and ready to head back to Heathrow. Freddy takes the elevator to the lobby but I linger a bit by wandering slowly down the central circular staircase, bidding the fairyland that is the Ritz, “Goodbye.”

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
How wonderful that you had such a seemingly ideal time with us. I am very pleased that we can count you as satisfied customers and hope that your next stay will live up to the very high standards that we have set ourselves. SB
GUILDFORD
Reviewed 2 June 2012

Wow. Just returned from having lunch at the Ritz. I really cannot recommend the experience enough. Sure you mention the Ritz, you expect top hotel and stuffy staff. Nothing could be further from the truth, friendly, efficient, knowledgeable are just a few of the adjectives to describe them, but I could add a lot more. You are perfection, I cannot see how you could improve it.

Add lunch at the Ritz, to the list of things to do before you die

A Wonderful, wonderful experience. And by the way the foods not bad at all.

Jonathan Tagg

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 2 June 2012

On a whim I decided to do a "London" experience and book the Ritz. I didn't really plan it out and flew in last-minute but the reception staff were incredibly professional, charismatic and composed - it is obvious they were trained well (or just incredibly used to eccentricity).

The room was beautifully decorated, spacious and one of the rare hotels where the photos on the website realistically represent the rooms. There was an outlet for North American (or Swiss...I forget) plugs which was a life saver since I didn't even consider a UK adaptor. I was not a fan of the bed, the mattress seemed ancient and clearly saw and felt better days. The bathroom was perfect, I could have slept in there instead and be happy - but the scale was unnecessary, I don't want to think about my weight Ritz! Besides the mattress quality - I really could find no fault with the room.

I stayed here alone - but it's the perfect hotel for couples, the ambiance and decor is incredibly romantic and charming. It's definitely not a business hotel, based on how convoluted the setup process was for wireless internet. Overall, an enjoyable experience but I think my parents would appreciate it more.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
Thank you for taking the time to write up your comments. I am always very appreciative of remarks praising our service standards as this is where we at The Ritz should excell. I am very grateful for your kind words and will have housekeeping run an audit on the mattresses! With thanks again. SB
Birmingham
Reviewed 1 June 2012

Stayed just before Christmas and enjoyed afternoon tea and one night's accommodation. Aside from breakfast (typical hotel, nothing special) and afternoon tea, we didn't eat in the restaurant so I can only comment on the accommodation and service, all of which live up to their legendary reputation.

Room wasn't the standard offering, but still it was much larger than expected with a high level of finish throughout. Most of all it was quiet, something lacking in some of the other 4*/5* London hotels I've stayed in.

Afternoon tea was an experience, in a positive way, but it is very expensive (as you would expect) for what is basically a never ending plate of cucumber sandwiches and scones and cups of tea. With a glass of champagne each it came to £110. Still, the room itself makes it worth the money for a one-off.

In summary, this is one of the best hotels in London and possibly the World FULL STOP.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
My thanks for taking the time to place your feedback. Of course I am biased, but firmly agree with you that The Ritz is among the best hotels in the world. I do hope that you will be tempted to eat in our Restaurant next time you come to London - the food is quite extra special. SB
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 May 2012

Excellent! A lovely experience and a great thing to do for a special occasion. It really does feel special. There is a pianist playing and the whole occasion is just so very English. Really lovely. Of course there are three-tier cakestands, lovely little sandwiches, cakes etc. All the flowers in the hotel were so beautiful and smelt divine. I would highly recommend this exprience.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple