“A must do!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #26 of 1,086 Hotels in London
Sheffield, United Kingdom
“A must do!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 January 2013

I have always wanted to stop a night in the Ritz hotel since visiting London as a little girl....now in my late forties my dream came true & I wasn't disappointed!
The elegant style, service, friendliness & comfort was superb! Normally I don't sleep well in any hotel despite the star rating......noise, beds, pillows, too hot, strange place etc....but this one night I stopped I slept the best I ever had in any other hotel including other 5* establishments! The bed was comfortable, the pillows perfect, temperature in the room was lovely & the bathroom spotless (& I'm a nurse so I mean spotless to my exacting high standards!). There was a feel to the rooms & corridors that I can't put into words....but lets just say I felt comfotable walking round the hotel as if I have stayed many times before & felt at home!
I feel for what was provided for accomadation it's worth the price, the only thing I will say was I did think breakfast was a little pricy, fantastic but myself & my family had decided to have breakfast on the train as we were travelling first class back home on an am train but Sunday morning we all woke up starving & decided to have it in the hotel instead. So maybe next time I would book B&B.... & there will be a next time as I recommend The Ritz Hotel to anybody stopping in London. Thank you Ritz Hotel, we came because it was to celebrate out daughters 21st by going to see Lion King....getting a date where all four of us could go was difficult & it ended up being 8mths later but the birthday cake in her room from you, the fantastic service you gave us & your lovely hotel made for a perfect weekend!

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Celine C
Stephen_Boxall, Managing Director at The Ritz London, responded to this review, 25 February 2013
Your review of your stay makes very pleasing reading and it is wonderful that we had such positive impact on your daughter's special birthday. I hope we can indeed welcome you back again in the future and like up to your expectations once again. Thank you for your kind words. SB

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (453)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Cambridge, England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 January 2013

The hotel is beautiful, our suite was elegant, comfortable, and quite splendid and the service VERY attentive and extremely helpful. The restaurant is splendid looking, and a wonderful experience to be in, but the food was overly complicated and a bit disapppointing. It tries too hard to be innovative, to invent new and different combinations; they need a few simpler, well-cooked dishes as well. If you want to go for afternoon tea (which looks like a meal in itself), which we didn't, you should know that you must book quite far in advance. We didn't have a problem booking dinner in the restaurant, however.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank ladynelly
Stephen_Boxall, Managing Director at The Ritz London, responded to this review, 21 February 2013
Thank you for your feedback - I am always particularly pleased when I read appreciative comments on the Service we provide. I believe that the quality of food and cooking that is presented by our Restaurant is very definitely Fine Dining, and a real treat for anyone who enjoys Haute Cuisine. However, I very much hope that you will come back to sample Tea in Palm Court one day and I thank you again for your kind words. SB
Chesham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 January 2013

This was always going to be a special time, enjoying one of the top London hotels. It was by no means perfect (newspaper not delivered one morning, alarm clock not usable, shower pressure not alterable) but the rooms are extremely good, well serviced, and the staff more than helpful all the time. It was worth taking the breakfast, though expensive, it was great food in a splendid setting. Bathroom well stocked and replenished. Cleaning and turndown service was first rate.

Room Tip: It was worth paying a little more for the Superior King (though look for a deal and it won't be...
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time to leave your comments which I appreciate very much. I always believe that the difference is in the detail here at The Ritz, and I am most disappointed to learn that we let you down with the newspapers and alarm clock. The shower pressure is not quite such an easy issue to address - given the age of the building! However, I am heartened to read that your overall feedback makes for pleasing reading and hope that you will return to stay on another occasion. SB
Bucuresti, Bucuresti, Romania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 January 2013

I've lived in Ritz London a few days between Christmas and New Year's Eve. The hotel looks very beautiful, it is very clean, the restaurant, The Bar and the place for the tea are really perfect. The food is good ; I've felt very safe in the hotel ; is very stylish but I didn't feel confortable because nobody is friendly. The ONLY person who was very kind , friendly and helped me a lot was Mr. Assistant Manager, David Pearce.I think the hotel must be proud with persons like him. I also think guests must be welcome better.

Room Tip: Deluxe room
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled solo
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for the kind remarks concerning David Pearce - he is indeed a valued member of staff who, like many others here, is warm, friendly and welcoming. I am grateful for the comments regarding the cleanliness and beauty of The Ritz and am very pleased that you enjoyed the Restaurant and Rivoli Bar. SB
Bayfield, Wisconsin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 January 2013

I stayed here is November, it's hard to put my finger on what I didn't like. There was an air of pretense that I found a little grating. Most of the staff was very friendly, the hotel is lovely, the bar and bar staff are great. Our room was huge, but had a dismal view of a parking are and office space. The hotel is in a great location. But, no, I wouldn't stay there again. Of the many places I have stayed this one was the least welcoming.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
I am genuinely disappointed to learn that you found The Ritz unwelcoming, and am sorry that this was your experience. I am however delighted to read the positive comments you have left. Should you return to London, I hope you might drop by to visit and your lasting impression be a more embracing one. SB
Sheffield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 January 2013

I've stayed here a number of times and each time has been fairly consistent.

The good
The decor is beautiful (if a little dated and more chintz than elegant in the rooms) A lot of effort has been put into keep authenticity to this renowned hotel and it shows in the dining rooms, stair cases and hallways. The extra touches of doormen remembering your names and turn down service add to the experience.

The bad
Unfortunately the way I was spoken to on at least two of my stays put a dampener on the occassion. Firstly I was sternly asked not to take a photograph of the stair case (no one was in the shot) fair enough if they have the policy but politeness goes a long way. Secondly the room we stayed in on our third trip needed to have the beds separated and remade, we had specified a twin before arrival, but were huffed at by the maid as if we were putting her out. We did it ourselves the next day after it was remade in the morning as a double.

Overall I wouldn't stay here again but I'm happy to have had the experience. My suggestion would be save a little longer if its a one off treat and get a suite.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
I am very sorry to read your comments and could not agree more that a little politeness goes a long way (and costs nothing). Your experience of housekeeping is clearly not acceptable and I have raised your comments with the Department Head. Although I cannot turn back the clock, I do hope you will give us another chance to welcome you to The Ritz. Should this be the case, please contact the Executive Office to make your booking. In any case please accept my personal apologies for the unfortunate interraction you experienced with housekeeping. SB
Essex
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2013

My daughter and close friend and I visited for Christmas Afternoon Tea for my birthday on this occasion. However, we decided to arrive rather early and whiled away the afternoon in The Rivoli Bar, which was a fabulous experience from the moment we entered. The staff were extremely welcoming and made sure that The Palm Court knew we had arrived and where we were. The atmosphere and service in The Rivoli Bar was superb, and our glasses and hors d'oeuvres where replenished effortlessly. Afternoon Tea as always was excellent and started with a glass of champagne, followed by beautiful pastries and sandwiches. The Ritz choir singing Christmas songs was a wonderful part of the whole experience and made it all the more special. Please pass on our thanks to all of the staff for a wonderful afternoon, and I look forward to returning in the early spring with my husband for Live at The Ritz.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family