“A mixed coctail”

Ranked #32 of 1,068 Hotels in London
London
“A mixed coctail”
Reviewed 13 January 2013

I see that most reviews for The Ritz are glowing with five stars. We were given a night by a colleague as a treat during December. The hotel was decked out like a fairy story, a fantasy delight for Christmas. Our room was wonderful, opulent and comfortable. Alas, our dining experiences were not so good. A club sandwich of salt beef was packed with meat but it was too chewy and heavy going. The Rivoli bar has plenty of 1920s atmosphere although the carpet looks worn. My mint julep cocktail was heavy with ice and rather insipid I thought. Our evening meal in the dining room was much anticipated and the room looked gorgeous with two big glittering Christmas trees glimpsed on the terrace. We chose from the £50 three course menu. My partridge was (once again) less than tender, although my companion’s halibut was light and lovely. The dishes are nouvelle cuisine sizes apart from desert. The chestnut soufflé was delicious. I ordered a glass of house red but it was not pleasant, I caught sight of the waiter taking a swig from a glass before bringing the bottle to me: I assumed to see if it was suitable to serve - it was not a five star gesture to be honest. The petit fours were scrumptious but we weren’t asked if we wanted coffee and had to attract the attention of a rather indifferent waiter to request it. We had a good night’s sleep in our luxurious room enjoying a lie-in. Breakfast is served until 11am. We arrived at around 10am and were asked to sit outside while a table was prepared. They clearly then forgot about us since we sat there until 10.30. Finally inside the dining room there were only a handful of guests remaining. The buffet bar looked rather tired so I ordered a cooked breakfast at £35 assuming that it would be prepared fresh. The eggs clearly were fresh but the bacon and sausage had obviously been hanging around for some time. The bacon was like leather and the sausage was tough and dry. I didn’t complain at the time since our colleague, a Ritz devotee, was footing much of the bill and it seemed ungracious to do so. All in all, our stay was memorable but I would think twice about eating here again.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Jacquiamee
Stephen_Boxall, Managing Director at The Ritz London, responded to this review, 25 February 2013
Thank you for your balanced, if not disappointing, comments regarding your experience of the Restaurant. I am grateful to you for pointing out what was done well and for your fairness when pointing out what was not to your satisfaction. I hope you will return another time and allow us to change your mind about the overall quality of the food served by the kitchen. I would be obliged if you would advise me in advance of your next visit. SB

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (476)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 January 2013 via mobile

We went here last Saturday for our friends 40th birthday. You definitely need to book 12 weeks in advance.
The Ritz hotel itself is beautiful with old English decor. You certainly felt you went back in time she is so elegant.
We were shown to our table for our two hour slot for us this was 5.30-7.30pm. Service was extremely prompt and in some ways slightly rushed. We had literally only just sat down when the waiter asked what tea we would like to drink! At this stage none of us had even looked at the menu.
The food for our afternoon tea we could not fault. The staff replenished all sandwiches and pastries regularly. You certainly do not need to have lunch prior to arriving. We had requested no big sandwiches and instead we had hommous.
It was extremely busy and rather noisy.
We did have a harpist that played wonderfully.
It was a truly lovely experience and we are glad we went.
On the negative side. We were never asked if we required our tea to be replenished.
We felt that although the two hour slot was sufficient the staff did start to rush you a little. Once our sandwiches had been taken away our bill was immediately brought to us placed on the table and within five minutes the staff were back to collect it. We still had 45 minutes of our 2 hour slot left.
All in all it was a lovely afternoon

• Stayed January 2013
2 Thank Tricia P
Hartlepool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 January 2013

On planning our girlie weekend away just before Christmas, we decided that afternoon tea at the Ritz would be a shear indulgence that we had to experience. Although we were booked in for 7.30 on a Saturday evening it didn't matter. What an experience it was, to sum it up in one word "AMAZING".Right from stepping through the doors of this hotel to leaving, we were surrounded by such oppulence and grandure that it brought tears to not only my eyes but those of the other 5 girlies, there was a large christmas tree just at the entrance that must have been 80ft tall, all lit up. We were shown to the tearoom which again was full of grandure and our table, which was set up as you would expect for afternoon tea was exquisite. The staff were all dressed in their livelry which cant have changed much from days gone by, very very
friendly and courteous and attentive at all times. The champagne that we had was lovely and as for the cakes, scones, cotted cream and jam,mince pies and sandwiches, ooh what a delight, I have never tasted anything like it, the waiter also came round with more sandwiches if you required them and also a cake trolly . With it being christmas the pianist played christmas carols and to top it all off a group of singers also sang carols. I would highly recommend anyone wanting to try the Ritz for 'afternoon tea' go for it if only just for the experience. To pardon the pun it rounded our trip to London off as the cherry on the cake.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank sem31
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 January 2013

I have always wanted to stop a night in the Ritz hotel since visiting London as a little girl....now in my late forties my dream came true & I wasn't disappointed!
The elegant style, service, friendliness & comfort was superb! Normally I don't sleep well in any hotel despite the star rating......noise, beds, pillows, too hot, strange place etc....but this one night I stopped I slept the best I ever had in any other hotel including other 5* establishments! The bed was comfortable, the pillows perfect, temperature in the room was lovely & the bathroom spotless (& I'm a nurse so I mean spotless to my exacting high standards!). There was a feel to the rooms & corridors that I can't put into words....but lets just say I felt comfotable walking round the hotel as if I have stayed many times before & felt at home!
I feel for what was provided for accomadation it's worth the price, the only thing I will say was I did think breakfast was a little pricy, fantastic but myself & my family had decided to have breakfast on the train as we were travelling first class back home on an am train but Sunday morning we all woke up starving & decided to have it in the hotel instead. So maybe next time I would book B&B.... & there will be a next time as I recommend The Ritz Hotel to anybody stopping in London. Thank you Ritz Hotel, we came because it was to celebrate out daughters 21st by going to see Lion King....getting a date where all four of us could go was difficult & it ended up being 8mths later but the birthday cake in her room from you, the fantastic service you gave us & your lovely hotel made for a perfect weekend!

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Celine C
Your review of your stay makes very pleasing reading and it is wonderful that we had such positive impact on your daughter's special birthday. I hope we can indeed welcome you back again in the future and like up to your expectations once again. Thank you for your kind words. SB
Cambridge, England
Reviewed 7 January 2013

The hotel is beautiful, our suite was elegant, comfortable, and quite splendid and the service VERY attentive and extremely helpful. The restaurant is splendid looking, and a wonderful experience to be in, but the food was overly complicated and a bit disapppointing. It tries too hard to be innovative, to invent new and different combinations; they need a few simpler, well-cooked dishes as well. If you want to go for afternoon tea (which looks like a meal in itself), which we didn't, you should know that you must book quite far in advance. We didn't have a problem booking dinner in the restaurant, however.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank ladynelly
Stephen_Boxall, Managing Director at The Ritz London, responded to this review, 21 February 2013
Thank you for your feedback - I am always particularly pleased when I read appreciative comments on the Service we provide. I believe that the quality of food and cooking that is presented by our Restaurant is very definitely Fine Dining, and a real treat for anyone who enjoys Haute Cuisine. However, I very much hope that you will come back to sample Tea in Palm Court one day and I thank you again for your kind words. SB
Chesham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 January 2013

This was always going to be a special time, enjoying one of the top London hotels. It was by no means perfect (newspaper not delivered one morning, alarm clock not usable, shower pressure not alterable) but the rooms are extremely good, well serviced, and the staff more than helpful all the time. It was worth taking the breakfast, though expensive, it was great food in a splendid setting. Bathroom well stocked and replenished. Cleaning and turndown service was first rate.

Room Tip: It was worth paying a little more for the Superior King (though look for a deal and it won't be...
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
Thank you for taking the time to leave your comments which I appreciate very much. I always believe that the difference is in the detail here at The Ritz, and I am most disappointed to learn that we let you down with the newspapers and alarm clock. The shower pressure is not quite such an easy issue to address - given the age of the building! However, I am heartened to read that your overall feedback makes for pleasing reading and hope that you will return to stay on another occasion. SB
Bucuresti, Bucuresti, Romania
Reviewed 7 January 2013

I've lived in Ritz London a few days between Christmas and New Year's Eve. The hotel looks very beautiful, it is very clean, the restaurant, The Bar and the place for the tea are really perfect. The food is good ; I've felt very safe in the hotel ; is very stylish but I didn't feel confortable because nobody is friendly. The ONLY person who was very kind , friendly and helped me a lot was Mr. Assistant Manager, David Pearce.I think the hotel must be proud with persons like him. I also think guests must be welcome better.

Room Tip: Deluxe room
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled solo
Thank you for the kind remarks concerning David Pearce - he is indeed a valued member of staff who, like many others here, is warm, friendly and welcoming. I am grateful for the comments regarding the cleanliness and beauty of The Ritz and am very pleased that you enjoyed the Restaurant and Rivoli Bar. SB