“Still fabulous after all these years”
Review of The Ritz London

The Ritz London
Ranked #30 of 1,067 Hotels in London
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“Still fabulous after all these years”
Reviewed 5 January 2014

My partner and I had booked a Sunday night stay that was part of an offer including dinner, bed and breakfast. We arrived feeling weary and worn, having travelled from New Zealand, and from the moment we arrived knew we had made the right choice of place to stay.
The check in process was dealt with efficiently and with charm, attention and courtesy. We were introduced to Sebastian, our butler, who escorted us to our room (Sebastian deserves a special mention-what a wonderful chap he is!). We probably looked like a couple of scruffy oiks after our journey, and were treated with nothing but warmth and welcome.
The room was wonderful, so comfortable and well appointed, the bed was the most sumptious I have ever slept on. We had a snooze, refreshed our spirits with long, hot showers and made our way to the dining room. Dinner was a delight-each of the 4 courses delivering beautiful flavours and satisfaction and we marvelled at the skill of the waiting staff-it was like watching a ballet.
After a blissful, restorative night we enjoyed similarly scrumptious breakfast and made our way into the rest of our holiday.
We both enjoyed our stay so much, and Darling (for whom this was the first UK visit) commented that people complaining that Londoners are unfriendly clearly haven't stayed at the Ritz!
We actually travelled in 2009-and the happy memories of our stay are still as strong as ever, s felt a review was in order :-)

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
Stephen_Boxall, Managing Director at The Ritz London, responded to this review, 20 January 2014
Albeit over four years ago that you stayed (?!), your comments are appreciated - and the Sebastian that I believe you are referring to is still hard at work here at The Ritz. I hope you will visit again. SB

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (471)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Aylesbury
Reviewed 4 January 2014

I treated my family to afternoon tea here for my mum's 75th birthday and booked the celebration champagne package. We went on the 3rd December 2013 so the hotel was all decked out for Christmas which was very festive. On arrival a piano player sat in the foyer and played throughout the tea. The choir then took over and sang carols and then 'happy birthday' when the birthday cakes were brought out.

There was a lot of choice with various sandwiches, scones, mince pies, fancies, Christmas cake and lemon drizzle cake along with a large choice of teas. The birthday cake, which we boxed up and took home was lovely. I haven't been for tea in any of the other big hotels so I can't compare but we thoroughly enjoyed the experience.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank scousemouse64
Naples
Reviewed 31 December 2013

I stayed twice at the Ritz and I like it better than the Claridge's and the Connaught.
The service is impeccable, the suites very comfortable and the ambiance very quiet.
The restaurant is beautiful, but the quality of the food leaves much to be desired.

Room Tip: Park view suites are worth the extra cost
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank ValentinoNaples
What a shame the Restaurant is not to your taste. The passion and dedication displayed day in day out by the Kitchen brigade, led by Executive Chef John Williams, is second to none, and Chef's finesse and skill are highly regarded within the industry. Thank you for your feedback nonetheless and I hope you will try dining at the Restaurant on another occasion. It really is very good food! SB
California
Reviewed 30 December 2013

We stayed the week of Christmas. The service was amazing. When I called for a shoe shine or turn down service, the staff would be at our door within minutes. Michael the doorman was very friendly and remembered our name every day.

Some people don't like the tight security, but I appreciated it and felt very safe. Hotel security was posted around the lobby at all hours. There were extra men on duty in the evening.

I appreciated the dress code. Jeans are not permitted in certain areas of the hotel. Guests look elegant and sophisticated. There is an air of respectability and Old World glamour. I loved it!

We had two rooms because we brought our teenagers with us. Both rooms were stocked with lots of fluffy white towels. We had complimentary bottled water and ice every night. The sheets and pillows were soft. Mattress was comfortable.

It is quite expensive to eat at the hotel. The waiters in the main restaurant were very snobby during lunch and dinner. They tried on numerous occasions to up-charge us and I felt the language barriers and accents would increase during these moments. If we didn't consent to the more expensive bottle of wine, for example, then the waiter/sommelier would get huffy and irritated. He didn't seem satisfied when we ordered the $300 bottle of wine! That was after he gave a glowing report on a $3,000 vintage, and then the $700 vintage. Nevertheless, there are plenty of restaurants nearby if you want to avoid the persnickety waiters in the main restaurant. However, the breakfast staff was very nice. In addition, Rivoli Bar staff was nice.

The room rate was reasonable for the amenities and service provided. The hotel was spectacularly decorated for Christmas. We had tea and there was a never ending supply of food.

Hotel guests can dine at The Ritz Club casino. You can't gamble, but the bar is phenomenal.

The only negative was that the shower sprayed water all over the floor. This happened in both rooms because the glass shower door provided inadequate coverage. The water damage made the paint peal off the walls.

Overall, I'd definitely stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Whilst I am pleased that you would choose to stay at The Ritz in the future, I am slightly concerned at your verdict on the staff in the Restaurant, not least of which the reaction you describe of the Sommelier. I hope there was a misunderstanding there, as $300 is still a large amount of money to spend on a bottle of wine. The environment, as you know, is a formal one, but there is no intention for the staff to be rude or stuffy. I am pleased that you found comfort in other areas in the hotel however. I would be pleased to allocate a member of the team to look after your needs in the Restaurant on your next visit should this be acceptable. I thank you nonetheless for taking the time to share your comments. SB
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 December 2013

Visited with a friend for afternoon tea, excellent setting and service. The selection of pastries and sandwiches were all delicious. I cannot commend the hotel enough for their hospitality and warm welcome. Everyone is made to feel like a VIP.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Stephen_Boxall, Managing Director at The Ritz London, responded to this review, 31 December 2013
I could not be happier on reading your well written comments. I particularly enjoyed, and agree with, your appraisal of the fine job don't by Chef Williams and his team in the kitchen; and the remark regarding Luigi is spot on - he has the wonderful gift of being able to make everyone feel special. Thank you very much for not only observing the service excellence, but taking the time to put it in writing. I hope you will enjoy many more years visiting The Ritz. SB
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 December 2013

I've been coming to the Ritz for years, and I never tire of it. I don't always stay there when in London, but I am never disappointed when I do. The surroundings are elegant and perfectly maintained, the food and drink of the highest quality, and the service is impeccable. I don't know of a better concierge desk, for instance: they have always managed whatever I've needed.

The rooms are as luxurious as you'd imagine in a hotel that defines luxury. They're spacious and well appointed, generally with a sitting area, and the beds and pillows are comfortingly inviting. Our bathroom this stay was very large, and had a tub that filled instantly, and a separate marble shower.

We entertained some friends in the Rivoli Bar with some excellent cocktails- I am especially fond of the Vesper, though the house champagne goes down well, too. The Rivoli is just right: classic Art Deco decoration, an intimate bar area, and tables that never seem over-filled. It spills over into the main gallery as well, and the people watching there is almost an Olympic sport.

I agree with the old saying that the Ritz has the 'most beautiful dining room in Europe.' To match it, they also have a great team of waiters, who understand and deliver five-star service. The chef, John Williams, is deservedly decorated for the magic he performs in the kitchen, and Luigi looks after us as if we're the only table in the room. I'm sure he'll treat you the same way, too.

This luxury and attention come with a price, and the Ritz is not afraid to charge for it, but for those times you feel like splurging it is good value. When I'm in London and need a dose of pampering in superb surroundings, this is the place.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Oslo, Norway
Reviewed 29 December 2013

My wife and I had booked two nights at The Ritz in December 2013 - but due to bad weather and flight cancellations the first day had to be cancelled on short notice. The Ritz sympathized with our problems and charged nothing for the cancellation. On early arrival next day we were promptly invited to our room, which met all our expectations - in every aspect ...
To review a hotel experience like this calls for expressions that we scarcely use ...
The Christmas ornaments, the quiet but still very busy atmosphere, the background music, the style in the common areas all made impressions. The evening dinner in the Ritz Restaurant, the menu and the band playing evergreens from the 50-es with an excellent crooner in white tuxedo and guests taking an occasional dance .... All this could only happen here and in this style ...
We can only look forward to the next time!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Stephen_Boxall, Managing Director at The Ritz London, responded to this review, 30 December 2013
This is great - you have a very charming turn of phrase. I appreciate your kindness and will make sure your sentiments are passed on to the staff. I hope you have a very Happy New Year and will return during 2014. SB