“Wonderful afternoon tea”
Review of The Ritz London

The Ritz London
Ranked #29 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed 16 April 2014 via mobile

My friend and I visited The Ritz for our 30th birthday celebrations. We had a wonderful time. Great food, great service and a great atmosphere.

Staff are attentive and often ask if you would like more of the sandwiches & cakes so you will never leave hungry.

Everyone should visit at least once to enjoy this great tradition.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends

Reviewed 16 April 2014

A Christmas gift,lunch for two at The Ritz! What a fantastic experience.The palacial decor to the impeccable service was the best.The food was very good and the wine list enormous.A memorable occasion which will stop with us forever.Try it and you won't forget it.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 April 2014

The atmosphere and the glamour even before you have walked in the door. The collection of jewellery sparkling in the light was breathtaking. I have stayed in many hotels but none compare to The Ritz in London! We went to the Ritz for afternoon tea, first let me say that the food was exquisite and the waiters were pleasant and friendly. The Ritz is the sparkling diamond of London.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 April 2014

Well what can you say. A wonderful experience that everyone should try. Just perfect. There is no point in writing all the good points as there are no negitive ones. We said we must lunch here sometime soon. It would be a priveledge to have a guided tour with some of the history. Perhaps this is something that cohld be added to special visit. I had ordered a cake for my wifes birthday which was just wonderful. A very special day for both my wife and her mother could not have been better.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Robin B
Stephen_Boxall, Managing Director at The Ritz London, responded to this reviewResponded 14 April 2014

I am so pleased you enjoyed your visit to the Restaurant. Should you book in for lunch in the future, please do ask for a showround of our wonderful William Kent House. One of the Duty Managers would be delighted to give you a tour if there are no functions running on the day. Thank you. SB

Reviewed 10 April 2014

Let me first admit: I am not the type, or wealthy enough, to casually book 4 night stays in top-of-the-top type hotels when travelling on my own dime. I was looking for nicer hotels in London, and worked to see where I could get a good enough deal to persuade myself to make the reservation. I was lucky enough to find a good "pay upon booking" type rate for the Ritz, and so I booked it.

Prior to arriving in London, I arranged (by email, because of the time difference to the US) to express preferences for room location---i.e., Green Park, upper floor, etc.

When we arrived, the excellent staff whisked off our luggage and checked us in. The room wasn't ready (we arrived in early PM), through some mistake, and so we were upgraded to a suite on Piccadilly. The room was wonderful---beautifully furnished, every amenity, great marble bathroom with shower and separate, full sized/old fashioned tub, dual sinks.

The room was quiet and peaceful---at the end of a short hallway. Never heard any hall noise, and never heard street noise. The turndown service is well done, with slippers etc. Feels like you have a butler.

I would strongly advise room service breakfast for the morning after you arrive (if coming from the States). The Ritz does room service like it should be done---a wheeled table is brought in, tablecloth and settings arranged, perfectly steeped tea or brewed coffee, everything hot, and "cozies" (like a blanket, for keeping things warm) on not just the tea but the toast as well. I felt like applauding.

The afternoon tea is something to enjoy if you can swing it. They keep some reservations for guest, but ask them in advance for this.

Service is sterling, in and out. You leave your key (an old fashion, brass key) with the front desk as you come and go.

Part of the magic of the Ritz is that there are rules (dress codes, conduct) and they are simple to obey. Dress nicely. Coat is required in some areas. The Rivoli Bar is perhaps the best hotel bar to which I've ever been. The cocktail selection is superb, and nicely crafted.

I look forward to returning to this gem of a hotel.

Room Tip: The Green Park rooms are desired, for the view and quiet, but frankly, the Piccadilly rooms are well...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
5  Thank StandsWithFist

Excellent. Thank you for sharing this lovely feedback and I hope you will be as enchanted on your next visit. Your kind words are much appreciated. SB

Reviewed 9 April 2014

The Ritz-what can one say about this amazing Hotel. Everything is over-the-top. Not inexpensive at about 500.00 GBP for a "Junior Suite" which is expansive.. The staff is not only professional, knowledgeable,polite and helpful but friendly. When the staff found out it was my birthday, I was pleasantly surprised to find a hand written card and a box of chocolates in our suite. The decor and amenities are spectacular and the restoration is simply beautiful. The Concierge team are the best. We did notice that when taking a warm shower in the morning the water temperature would sometimes vary dramatically sometimes projecting very cold streams which would most certainly wake one up. About the only suggestion , I would make is that , morning coffee or tea upon request, really should be complimentary in the suites instead of 18.00 GBP for two. It isn't a deal breaker but it would certainly be endearing to my wife and I who are well traveled and used to being pampered.

Room Tip: If possible ask for a view of green Park instead of Piccadilly,
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank nsbeach1

It is most heartening to read that you enjoyed your stay and felt that your birthday was properly acknowledged. I am also pleased that the décor and amenities were to your liking. I am sorry to learn that the water temperature was not consistent - our maintenance department would have been happy to look into this for you. It is always worth mentioning this type of issue when staying at a deluxe hotel. Similarly, tea and coffee making facilities are available on request - although the majority of our guests seem to prefer to order from Room Service. Nonetheless, I thank you for your comments and hope we might be able to welcome you back again in the future. SB

Reviewed 9 April 2014

We stayed 3 nights and it was a very nice experience. We booked the lowest grade room and got a free upgrade. The hotel staff are attentive to details. The room are so nicely decorated. The location is so centrally located, just few steps away from Green park, which is convenient to connect to most tourist spots via Tube.

Only complaint is the utlities in the room is a bit old, for example the bath tub washaving a crack and a light bulb was on and off from time to time, yet those are really minor compare to the overall experience.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank LeoWillow

Firstly, congratulations! I hope you will both have many happy years of marriage to each other. I am so pleased you had a lovely stay at the hotel and thank you for choosing The Ritz for such a special time. I hope you might return to celebrate some of your wedding anniversaries with us, as so many who have honeymooned here do. I wish you the best of luck with this new adventure in life. SB