“Simply the best!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #26 of 1,089 Hotels in London
Los Angeles
“Simply the best!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 September 2008

My partner and I stayed at The Ritz in August for four nights. We had notified the hotel that we might be late in arriving since we would be on the Orient-Express from Venice and there was absolutely no problem when we arrived. We were assisted from the taxi and our luggage brought into the hotel and received a warm welcome from Reception, which upgraded our accommodation and then escorted us to our room. As we had to be at the Victoria Palace shortly thereafter, there was no time to drink the Champagne which awaited us, nor later since we dined at Sheekey's, quite the best seafood restaurant in London. The Champagne was kept for another night.

Breakfast the following morning (and all others) was excellent, including the finest fresh raspberries I have ever had. The fresh orange juice left something to be desired - it certainly was freshly squeezed, but not as sweet as we are used to in California. Beautiful omelettes though and excellent service, if a little leisurely by American standards. However, we were not pressed for time except for one morning, and having mentioned this on arrival in the restaurant, the service was speeded up to allow us to eat rather more swiftly.

The room itself was everything it should be - we did not have a suite, but compared to one at the Waldorf=Astoria Towers (New York) it was quite as acceptable. The beds were comfortable, the drapes let in no light and there were no noises from outside. Room service was prompt and the beds were always turned down before we returned. The bathroom was immaculate and had a separate door from the vestibule. The decor may not be to everyone's taste, but it matches everything else in the hotel in a grand luxe manner; it is in no way minimalist! The Hall Porter was always affable and helpful, although he did not actually believe we had a private tour of Buckingham Palace! Every time we arrived back, whether early or late, we were greeted by name and made to feel at home, which was greatly appreciated. I rather like the "old fashioned" keys and was pleased not to have a magnetic-striped card, which inevitably fail once or twice.

On our last evening we dined in the Restaurant but, like so many contemporary establishments, found the offerings a little too clever, but probably appealing to younger 'foodies' since our taste is more for The Ivy and The Gay Hussar, the latter no longer fashionable. Nevertheless, we enjoyed the meal and then retired to our room to pack for the flight back to Los Angeles. Altogether a most enjoyable stay; whether we would stay there on a regular basis I can't say. Certainly it is most convenient, whether for walking, taking a taxi or the 'Tube'. But it certainly should be done once in a lifetime since very few of us actually live like that from day-to-day. Highly recommended!

• Liked — Gracious surroundings and service
  • Disliked — Nothing to dislike!
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (454)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Washington, DC
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 September 2008

I have to concur with the other reviewers who complained about the over zealous security at the Ritz. It boils down to one word: snobbery. It was such a turn off that I'll never return. A friend and I stopped in to talk with the reservations desk to see about room availability for a later return to London (we were on a London - Rome - London itinerary). We are attractive, professional looking people and were dressed very respectibly (not wearing jeans as per another reviewer's comments, not that I think there's anything wrong with that either). As soon as we entered and walked toward the front looking for the reservations area, the security man practically chased us down -- you would've thought we were criminals. It was incredibly embarrassing. He was "politiely rude", if you know what I mean. While very openly looking down his nose at us, he ushered us back toward the door and told us we would have to make our enquiries at the information desk by the exit. Okay, so if he'd been polite and not condescending I would've called him helpful, but that was not the case. My reason for arriving unannounced to make a reservation in person and for staying there was to do an incognito site inspection, as I'm a meeting and event planner and was considering the hotel for a major upcoming booking which would have brought them a nice chunk of revenue. I don't want my guests being treated like that, however, and it sealed the deal. My friend and I left and I never considered this hotel for another event since, nor would I. There are too many other good options available where my guests will be treated with dignity from the moment they walk in the door, as it should be. It is the hospitality industry, after all. Elegance and snobbery do not have to go hand-in-hand, in my years of travel and planning experience. You can do better than this.

• Liked — The place is gorgeous, no doubt about that.
  • Disliked — Extremely rude and condescending.
  • Stayed February 2005, travelled on business
19 Thank HotelQueenBee
antwerp
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 September 2008

I spend last weekend at the Ritz in London. What a disappointment ! Because I booked by phone, i didnt recieved an conformation with the dresscode from the hotel. I was there to do some shopping at Old and New-Bondstreet. Because i wear a suit all week, i was wearing a comfy darkblue jeans, lightblue shirt with a darkblue pullover and brown leather shoes.
All from Prada. (doesn't matter,but to give you a picture..) If my name was David Beckham i wonder if it was a problem then..
I was treated like a beatnik! I was checking in and asked if i could use the bathroom after an 5 hour trip. The answer was "No, i'm sorry, you are not allowed wearing jeans, and i wasn't allowed in the bar or have breakfast dressed like that!
Every time i came in the hotel, security asked me who i was, if i could show them my key etc etc... EVERY time i came in!
I travel all over the world, but i've never been more insulted in my life then there at the Ritz.
Because i wasn't allowed to have high-tea at the Ritz, i wend to the Landmark hotel. They know how to tread their guests! Even wearing jeans! Wonderful hotel ,excellent service,great high-tea. So my advice is: go to the Landmark hotel, it's a little more expensive then the Ritz,but worth every penny!

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — All, it's th worst hotel i've ever been.
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
20 Thank AntwerpLondonlover
UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2008

Fabulous hotel, fantastic location, it was brilliant to meet the Queen at afternoon tea. Special thanks to Jeeves the butler, top guy.

• Liked — Jeeves
  • Disliked — the weather
  • Stayed August 2008
Aldwick, Nr Bognor Regis, England
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2008

We returned to the Ritz after having stayed about eight years ago for Valantines day - it was a disaster and a huge disappointment then, but we had a letter from the Manager apologising and that we should contact him when we next wanted to stay. It was our anniversary and we wanted to stay at Clariges but The Gordon Ramsey Restaurant was full, so my huband booked us two nights at the Ritz instead, we booked a Romance package for one night and the theatre for the next. The Romance package included a bottle of champagne in the room, flowers and dinner/dance in the restaurant to include a bottle of wine. We were given a room upgrade and greeted by the Duty Manager, the room was large and decorated in rich silks, the bathroom was of a good size, all gold taps and marble, with classic bath, tiny separate shower cubicle and gorgeous Floris toiletries. The Ritz is in a fantastic location and is a beautiful hotel but I have given the Ritz only one star rating due to our disappointment again. The trouble with world famous hotels is that they tend to have over zealous security and consider most people entering the hotel as sightseers or criminals. Therefore it is extremely annoying to have security keep asking you if they can help you, whilst the rest of the six or eight staff stare at you. We wanted a glass of champagne in the bar before dinner, so we asked for our restaurant order to be taken there. Bar Staff were excellent, but it seemed to confuse the restaurant staff that we were in the bar and things did not go smoothly. We selected from The Summer Menu which was included in our room rate along with a bottle of wine - which we had to ask for - this made us feel slightly cheap. The evening did not seem to flow as it should, we waited forever for our starter, there was no pre-starter or bread just awful soggy melba toast already on our table. The band was playing, the room was beautiful but our meal was acceptable but not great, Perhaps it was due to the package we had booked. Breakfast was really good, as of course, it should be. When returning after shopping security pounced, then again when we came back from the theatre. If the doorman can regognise guests why can't security, it was irritating and spoilt our trip. All in all the Ritz is, due to its fame, over-rated, service is fantastic but some staff are condesending, the dress code is nice for the restaurant and afternoon tea, but for guests wanting to use the bar is just ridiculous. Yes of course the Ritz is 5 star deluxe but I would never stay here again and would select a hotel just as luxurious but more modern without the pomp.

• Liked — Our room was beautiful with special touches. but rather dated.
  • Disliked — Attitude of security and front office staff (This does not include Reception Staff)
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple
18 Thank ourview
Toronto
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2008

The Ritz is an amazing historic hotel. When we arrived, they upgraded us to an Executive King room. It was very spacious and very well appointed. The bathroom was very large and and it had a deep soaker tub. The beds very comfortable and the room was in very good condition, (The breakfast was good too). It is in a very convenient location for shopping and sightseeing. it is close to the Burlington arcade, the Royal arcade, and Fortnum & Mason. When we arrived, we asked if they had any availability for tea the following day, we got reservations for tea the next day at 11:30. The man at reception told us that normally, you have to make reservations for tea two months in advance. The Ritz is a great hotel and I hope to go back soon.

• Liked — Room, Location, Service
  • Disliked — not great view from room.
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled with family
New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2008

Stayed at the Ritz for four days in July 2008. The room was a good size for London, with beautiful antiques and antique-style furnishings, and all the modern conveniences you could want. The major problem with the Ritz is that it is just too full of itself, and the level of service one receives depends on who you are. When you walk in the door, you see an amazing number of employees, in at least three types of uniforms (I assume the uniform signified something). They are clearly looking at you and mentally assessing whether you are (1) royalty from some country, (2) high government, (3) multi-billionaire, (4) someone else who has been allowed to stay in the hotel, (5) riff-raff who merely want to sightsee. Since the Ritz still uses the old, heavy keys which must be left at the desk and the desk is near the door, people in category 5 are immediately obvious and are ejected. The elevator is near the desk, so category 4 people are expected to go directly to the elevator. There are closed French doors leading to the Grande Allee, off of which are the Palm Court (for afternoon tea), the restaurant, the bar, and several quiet areas for lounging. Unless you have a reservation and are properly attired (jacket and tie for men after noon), the employee will not open the French doors. Your only chance to get thru is at breakfast, before the dress code goes into effect. But even the level of service for a category 4 person is not what you expect considering the prices. Twice in four days I returned from the theatre to find that the maid had not yet been in the room for turndown service. Therefore the choice was to put out the "do not disturb" sign and forego the turndown service, or sit in the room and wait to go to bed until the maid had been there. True, she was there within 15 minutes each time, but at RItz rates, you expect turndown to be completed well before 10:00. Also, when I asked the concierge for a London Walks brochure, I received the winter brochure (in July). None of this would matter if the Ritz didn't charge what it does. (For a contrast, see my review of four days at Claridge's on my return to London, where the staff treats everyone the same and provides superlative service without fail.)

• Stayed July 2008, travelled solo