“Good Hotel” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #26 of 1,089 Hotels in London
Yorkshire
“Good Hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2014

Stayed a lot at this place in various different room types. The public rooms are really nice - very palatial and grand. The Bedrooms are a bit dated and old fashioned - like sleeping in a dolls house - not my taste really but still a good hotel in a great area.

Room Tip: There isn't really a great deal of difference between the rooms - they are all more or less simi...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Stephen_Boxall, Managing Director at The Ritz London, responded to this review, 19 May 2014
Thank you for your no frills comments. I hope you will continue to come back for more of the same! SB

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (454)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Knutsford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2014 via mobile

I treated my husband to a night at the Ritz as he has always wanted to stay! The arrival and check in were fantastic, we were upgraded to a suite to my delight and the lovely receptionist was very welcoming and showed me around which was much appreciated. Unfortunately my husband's train journey was delayed by two hours which meant he didn't arrived until much later than anticipated. Not wishing to waste a moment we went for a cocktail in The Rivoli Bar and asked about dining in the restaurant. The staff were very helpful and accommodating and informed us that they could fit us in which we were delighted about. After our cocktails we strolled down to the restaurant where the greeting was not friendly or welcoming, the girl with the long dark hair, was very abrupt, actually quite rude and made us feel like we were a major inconvenience!!! This made us both very feel uncomfortable. The restaurant itself was very beautiful, the waiters pleasant, however the service was so slow (is this normal?) we ordered lobster and advised it came with a fennel sauce (not mentioned on the menu description which actually said ginger and lime) I asked for no sauce as I'm not fond of fennel. We were advised that the meal would take 40 minutes to prepare which was fine, however when it arrived it was so disappointing, the lobster was overcooked and reeked of fennel! I honestly wished I'd complained but trying to find a waiter at this time of the night proved tricky ..... they all seemed to have vanished! After all the reviews I've read about the food at The Ritz I can honestly say I've never been so disappointed with a meal! We returned to the Rivoli Bar for another cocktail and again the welcome was great and all together a much more pleasant experience than dining in the restaurant. I have waited a week to write this post as I filled in the Ritz Hotel survey which they emailed to me following our stay, and in which I mentioned our poor experience in the restaurant, but to date no one has contacted me to apologise. I feel bitterly disappointed as our stay at The Ritz was a huge treat and expense for us and the experience was not what we had anticipated at all.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
7 Thank kiwigirly
What a pity that you were disappointed with the welcome, food and service in the Restaurant. I am honestly surprised that all three elements of the experience in the dining room fell short of what you were expecting. As you might imagine, with the hundreds of people eating in the hotel every day - and each table receiving a questionnaire afterwards - we can only respond to a random selection. I am sorry that yours was not one that was picked up. Should you visit again in the future, kindly mention this experience at the time of booking and I will personally ensure you are looked after. SB
Christchurch, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2014

The company I work with had a 12 month incentive in place for their top sales consultants - I had the pleasure of qualifying for this trip which included a 5 night stay at the Ritz. The accommodation, service, opulence of the Ritz made our stay a memorable one.

The staff are exceptional in all that they do to make your stay exceptional. From the moment you arrive and are greeted by the doormen, through to reception and then housekeeping staff with the care of you and your room. On our last night we had fine dining dinner at the Ritz and listen to the best pianist in town! Beautiful ambiance, quality and luxury - if you're looking for an 'experience' in your accommodation you will find it at the Ritz.

Room Tip: The en suites vary in size so if you're a real 'bathroom' sort of girl, you might want t...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Angela C
What a lovely trip to have won. Well done! It is somewhat of a relief to learn that you enjoyed yourself having travelled from the other side of the world and I hope that your memories of The Ritz and of London will stay with you for a long time. SB
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2014

For a recent birthday our daughters gave my wife a gift of afternoon tea at the Ritz, London.
What a superb gift, we celebrated by also staying the night in a lovely suite and attending a show.
Add first class rail travel from Manchester ( really cheap if you book in advance) a couple of hours shopping, and you create a very memorable occasion.
Rail travel, on time and very comfortable, afternoon tea, delicious food, any kind of tea from around the world, staff and service impeccable and courteous from check in to check out, hotel room elegant, and well appointed, a real taste of the "high life" in London and worth every penny.
The award winning show,The Book of Mormon is outrageous with content and language which is not for the faint hearted, but non the less entertaining. A wonderful birthday.

Room Tip: I am sure they are all excellent.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Stuart L
Derby, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2014

My husband and I treated ourselves to afternoon tea at the Ritz for our wedding anniversary last month. We have been a couple of times before and it is worth every penny to experience a little luxury!
The Palm Court is just beautiful - ornate with a lot of gilt going on but tasteful. The tea itself is divine - fresh sandwiches, melt-in-the-mouth scones and dainty pastries abound. Delicate china, silver teapots - a piano playing softly in the background - heavenly.
The best part of the experience is the staff! The waiters are just charming - polite & friendly - nothing is too much trouble. I hope the management values them as much as they deserve.
All in all - an experience to treat yourselves to at least once in a lifetime

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2014

We dined here on Friday 28th and were looking forward to a great experience.
Sadly, it got off to a very shaky start, when the tall dark haired lady who was checking people into the restaurant was very cool and unwelcoming. We had never had such a cool greeting before. But thankfully this changed when we went inside, and were greeted very warmly by the head waiter.
The decor an ambiance were just perfect and the service at the start was just what you might expect. As for the food, simply the best we have ever had.
Service did in fact drop off badly towards the end, with the waiter who was bringing our deserts doing a big swerve away from out table when he noticed the cutlery was not in place. This also happened to the table next to us. Then , trying to get a waiter to take the payment for our meal took so long, it was just annoying, to the point where I took my card away and paid in cash, and left it on the table so we could leave.
But overall a great experience ans we would love to go back.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank spikeyuk
Sutton Coldfield
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2014

Just spent a fabulous day a night at the Ritz to celebrate our 20 wedding anniversary and loved the experience. There is still an old world charm about the Ritz, from the afternoon tea to the splendid dinner with entertainment. The staff are courteous and helpful and the room was delightful compared to other London hotels. Don't get me wrong we don't stay in this type of accommodation as a rule when we visit London but for a special celebration it was perfect.

We went for a package which included a four course dinner with entertainment of a live band and a demonstration of Latin dancing , plus bed and breakfast. We then tarted ourselves to the afternoon tea all of which was amazing. Down side was the cost of drinks, it's not cheap but we went with it as it is after all the Ritz £83 for a lower end red!

Dressing up is all part of it and overall it was a brilliant experience.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you. It sounds like you had a lovely time and I hope you will return again in the future. SB