“Afternoon tea... great sandwiches, the rest a disappointment”
Review of The Ritz London

The Ritz London
Ranked #29 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed 11 July 2014

My wife and I had a voucher as a gift for afternoon tea at the Ritz.

Upon arrival we were greeted at the door politely, and the imposing lobby was amazing. We were directed through to the waiting area, where we were shown to our table immediately. The ambience was enhanced by the playing of a piano softly in the lobby.

We were offered a menu and asked to choose from an array of teas from around the world, unfortunately, our initial "grumpy" waiter had very bad body odour which was off putting.

Another polite, fragrant waiter appeared and took our tea order, a plate of beautifully cut fresh sandwiches and some cakes were then placed on the table including smoked salmon, egg and cress, cheddar cheese and pickle - the sandwiches were replaced as often as required by the waiters. The tea was also replenished without asking throughout are afternoon tea. Unfortunately, my wife's teapot handle was too hot to pick up, and a fresh one which wasn't as hot was brought promptly. Little touches were absent - the tea label on the teapot was hand scribbled "English"

The next course of scones, two plain and two fruit scones were then placed on the table. The scones were "synthetic" dry and were not the calibre that one would expect of an establishment such as the Ritz. The waiter then took of the lids from the pots containing jam and clotted cream without saying one word. The cakes were fresh though the selection was poor and again not the quite what you would expect from the Ritz.

As mentioned by other reviewers, cakes are not allowed to be taken home in a box as we were told " they had been out longer than an hour".

To conclude, I felt that the experience did not live up to my expectations of afternoon tea at a premier establishment as the Ritz.

I have been fortunate enough to recently have afternoon tea at Claridge's which was a much better experience and I would recommend as an alternative.

5  Thank swrightnurse

Reviewed 10 July 2014

Myself and 2 friends had booked the famous afternoon tea in advance for a birthday celebration. On arrival we were politely directed through to the dining area and were able to take a few photos of the fabulous surroundings prior to our table being ready. The waiting staff were courteous and polite and we were first presented with a menu detailing approx 15 different teas and an overview of the sandwiches which would be served. However we didnt really get past the tea menu before having to place our tea order (...English tea of course !). Sandwiches and small but rich cakes came first - and then were replaced with a further supply ! Then came the warm fruit scones with jam and clotted cream and just when we were already feeling particularly full came a trolley with sticky toffee ( with a caramel cream topping) and lemon drizzle cake. Unfortunately you are unable to take uneaten cakes with you so there was nothing for it but to indulge. A fabulous experience all round. Ladies do not miss a trip to the powder room !

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Debbie C
Reviewed 9 July 2014

I stayed here last Friday for my 21st and it was wonderful! I got upgraded from a Junior Suite to a Deluxe Suite and it was just wow, I can't even describe it! They also sent up a birthday cake for me and the staff were all so nice! I usually feel out of place in such grand places, but the staff were so welcoming and lovely :) I have never stayed anywhere as beautiful and magical, it was like a dream! Thankyou so much for making my 21st so memorable for all the right reasons!

Room Tip: Get the best room that you can afford!
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Emma J
Stephen_Boxall, Managing Director at The Ritz London, responded to this reviewResponded 28 July 2014

What a lucky girl you are to have been given such a lovely treat for your birthday. Congratulations! It is our pleasure to have been chosen as the venue for your celebrations and it goes without saying how delightful it is that you had such an enjoyable stay. Thank you. SB

Reviewed 8 July 2014

When I was 19, I went to London to work for a short period. Standing in front of The Ritz I remember telling myself that if I ever had the money to stay here, then I had made it. Now 18 years later I did it.

My Wife and I had a lovely stay here, that included dining, dancing and breakfast. What can I say other then: This place is legendary for a reason, this was one of the places to be seen a 100 years ago, and it is still the place to stay in London. It oozes old money - in the good way - as the staff is absolutely fab and so friendly, I would like to especially mention the girls in the reception.

2  Thank kubsterdk
Stephen_Boxall, Managing Director at The Ritz London, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2014

This is great! Thank you for that wholehearted endorsement of what we stand for, and for acknowledging the girls (and boys!) on Reception. They have the capacity to set the scene for an entire stay and are very important ambassadors for the hotel. I hope you will not have to wait for another 18 years before you return to The Ritz. SB

Reviewed 8 July 2014

That was my third time at the Ritz. To be quite honest I have always been a Claridge's client but as my wife does not like the art deco style if the Claridge's I thought I should book there. When I made the reservation, months before through Booking.com, I asked for a quite room on a high floor overlooking Green Park. I was assigned room 227 which is on the second floor, overlooking the building across the backyard. I complained, and eas told that all executive rooms have similar view so I was offerd for an extra GBP100 (Euro 130 or $160) per night the last available deluxe room at the 5th floor (522) which was fine .Otherwise, the hotel is old and so are its customers which overfill the tea salon every afternoon (tea and sandwiches cost GBP46 p.p.!). Breakfast is very good (especially Bircher Musli, fruit, salmon and cheese), save the croissants and danish pastries which are tasteless. So if there are a few things to learn from my experience, 1. Book a deluxe room which was not offered by Booking.com -perhaps try the hotel's web, or a suite 2. Avoid room 227 3. Room 522 is fine 4. Avoid croissants and danish pastries 5. Try the Bircher Musli, cheese and smoked salmon for breakfast at the Ritz salon.

4  Thank Okyalos21
Reviewed 7 July 2014

We stayed at the Ritz for 2 nights in April and what a delight. Everyone who walks through the door gets treated as the most important person in a Ritz staff member's world at that given time. The staff are obviously very proud of where they work and love to put on a show for the guests- whether it is the cheeky over the top "I can get that organised for you Madam" of Michael the concierge; or the deft replacement of a tablecloth on an afternoon tea table by one of the highly skilled waiters, everyone does their job to perfection and as a sales and marketing professional I found the subtleties of the up-selling an absolute delight. Our room was glorious with all trimmings you expect of a high class establishment. The decor of the whole hotel was just breathtaking and the doorman remembered my name and what I was doing for the day and followed up to see how i went upon returning to the hotel later in the afternoon. Michael got us tickets for the dress circle for the Book of Mormon and did it with a great display of showmanship. We stayed at the Savoy for 2 nights prior and found that hotel was stilted and disinterested in us as guests in comparison to the Ritz. Both hotels were on our bucket list, the Ritz will receive a return visit!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank bronwyn b

Fabulous reading! It sounds like an old fashioned case of 'Puttin' on The Ritz'! Thank you for the generous words and I look forward to welcoming you back in due course. SB

Reviewed 6 July 2014

I stayed here for my 1st year wedding anniversary ,amazing hotel staff can't do enough for you we stayed in a superior room very spacious rooms and with excellent mini bar, we also had dinner which was outstanding ,they also came over with a little anniversary cake which was very romantic touch ,the ravoli bar and casino are also very relaxing and enjoyable to have drinks and relax would highly recommend this hotel it's gorgeous

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank smcScotland

We love to make celebrations extra special at The Ritz, and I am thrilled that we lived up to expectation for you. I hope you will chose to spend many more happy anniversaries here with us in the future and I thank you for the kind feedback. SB