“just wonderful”

Ranked #35 of 1,069 Hotels in London
Sydney, Australia
“just wonderful”
Reviewed 20 July 2014

We (myself, husband and 13 year old daughter) had the pleasure of staying at the Ritz in late June - for one night prior on our trip on the Orient Express to Venice. Our room wasn't ready when we arrived which wasn't a problem as we had booked high tea in the Palm Court (just wonderful). Imagine our surprise when we were told that we had been upgraded to the Berkley Suite!!! Top floor, the most amazing two bedroom, living room, three bathrooms, kitchenette, study, views of St James Park - just incredible. The service was impeccable, the hotel beautiful.
Would we return? Can't wait. Will we be upgraded like that again?? Probably not. But would return in a blink to this most beautiful, iconic and simply wonderful hotel.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Sylvia470
Stephen_Boxall, Managing Director at The Ritz London, responded to this review, 28 July 2014
Fabulous! What a lovely treat to be upgraded to one of our signature suites. As you correctly recognise, this might not be the case the next time, but you never know..... Thank you for sharing your experience. SB

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (476)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Kidderminster, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 July 2014

We were given gift vouchers for a lunch, we were so looking forward to and it did not disappoint, it was amazing, I felt like a celebrity, the way they looked after us. The food was delicious and delicate, Lobster starter, Duck main, and a soufflé so huge, I don't know how the Chef does it. It all tasted lovely, we also had 2 glasses of Champagne, I don't like Champagne but the one we had was beautiful and smooth, so we decided on another each. All in all it was an amazing experience and would recommend anyone try it. The Ritz staff certainly make you feel special.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank ElaineG973
Gloucestershire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 July 2014

Absolutely fantastic. The Ritz was certainly what we expected, fabulous décor, wonderful service and extremely formal yet patient. The Ritz was lovely and welcoming and there was no arrogance about it whatsoever. Fantastic food, excellent price, would recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jordan S
Fantastic! I hope you will return again and have a similarly pleasing time with us. Thank you. SB
Reviewed 16 July 2014 via mobile

I took my mummy for a champagne afternoon celebration tea as a 60th birthday present. It is something that she and her mum always wanted to do but never got round to it so I thought it was about time we went.
I was a little concerned as I had read a couple of reviews from vegans who had been for afternoon tea and had only been given fruit platters. I emailed the ritz to check that I would be getting cakes and they assured me I would. I wasn't disappointed! Although I couldn't have the scones which they had already told me in the email, I got a lovely selection of vegan cakes and simple but lovely sandwiches.
My mummy had a fantastic selection of sandwiches and cakes plus the scones with clotted cream and jam and the celebration cake was brought out with all the others to the pianist playing happy birthday. It was just beautiful in the dining area and the staff could not have been more lovely. The pianist even played a few Elvis Presley numbers which made my day!
We were both a bit worried about dress code and I made a last minute panic purchase of smart trousers and a blouse because I was worried my ditzy patterned summer dress looked a bit frumpy. I needn't have done this. It really is just a case of no jeans or trainers for ladies. I was also a little concerned about showing my arms as I have tattoos. Again I needn't have worried. No one said anything or even seemed to bat an eyelid.
All in all the Ritz delivered everything and more than we were hoping for. I couldn't recommend this experience enough. A day of wonderful memories that we'll never forget.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
10 Thank Jessica W
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 14 July 2014

This was my second stay at The Ritz this year and this time I brought my wife and 2 children for a 3 night stay. The Ritz is very formal but my kids were welcomed with teddy bears and ice cream vouchers upon arrival and each evening complimentary cookies and milk were delivered to our room which was a nice touch. We stayed in a junior suite and the room was beautiful and big enough for a family of four.

The dining room where the breakfast was served was stunning and the breakfast was nice. The service at breakfast was great 2 days and not so good on our final day. We tried the afternoon tea and it was very good and reasonably priced for adults but I found the 30 pound charge for my 2 year old daughter to be almost as rich as the cakes that were served with the tea. We visited the bar and the cocktails were lovely and the service was great.

The thing that negatively impacted our impression of this hotel was the front desk, a member of the front desk team was very rude to me to the point that I made a complaint to the duty manager. There was no follow up what so ever from the duty manager during my stay and I didn't feel that the matter was taken seriously at all. To add insult to injury the front desk made a transaction of 700 pounds on my credit card without consulting me one day prior to my departure and when I enquired about this the duty manager called me back and said that it was a mistake. Finally when I was checking out there were incorrect charges that had been made to my account, these charges were eventually removed but altogether the front desk certainly didn't impress me and I was also not impressed with the casual way that I felt my complaint was dealt with. Due to these issues and the price range of The Ritz it's hard for me to rate my stay any better than average even though there were certainly several aspects of our stay that we liked.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
6 Thank romejune2005
It is interesting how one interaction can impact on an otherwise enjoyable few days, and I do regret that this was the net result in your experience. I am certain however, that there would have been no deliberate intention to upset you, nor to take your complaint lightly. It does concern me that your final bill was not correct and for that I would like to apologise. I completely understand how frustrating this is - and at our level, agree that it is unacceptable. Sorry. SB
Oakville, Canada
Reviewed 13 July 2014

The Ritz was certainly what we expected, exquisite decor, outstanding service and while extremely formal, it did not have the arrogance and attitude of other 5 Star hotels like The Plaza in New York. Like The Savoy, the Ritz gets it right my not presenting guests with bills when they use the restaurants, Rivoli or order services through the Hall Porters, instead you simply walk away and the cost is added to your room account. You should be prepared that the hotel is very formal and while we expected it and have no issues, we tend to prefer a more relaxed 5 star experience such as, it would have been nice to enjoy the uncustomary 90 degree sunshine on the terrace without having to wear a jacket and tie. In all, breakfast was the only part of the experience which was a little off-putting, where it seemed that if you dressed the part and were rude to staff, you got better service. As Canadians, rudeness just isn't in our DNA, so we settled for less than perfect service. Having said that, anyone who critiques the Tea at the Ritz experience, simply cannot be satisfied, the food and service are impeccable and well worth the price.

In all, staying at the Ritz is an excellent experience and while you need to go into it expecting that it will be more formal than most of us are used to, they will still gladly recommend a good local pub and while I'm sure uncommon, they won't toss you out when you walk down the stairs wearing a Monty Python T-shirt on your way to Monty Python Live reunion show.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank NoKidsWillTravel
Yes, we do not apologise for our relative formality, it keeps the majority of our regular guests returning time and again. I hope you have taken home some happy memories of your stay at The Ritz London. SB
Reviewed 13 July 2014

What more can we say.

Possibly the best hotel stay we have ever had and we have been lucky enough to stay in some top hotels throughout the world.

We booked the hotel for our wedding anniversary. The Ritz kindly upgraded us to the next room size, gave us two days continental breakfast free of charge and also provided my wife with a spa toiletry gift pack. I also ordered a surprise bottle of champagne on arrival. The next day another (different make but still great) was kindly provided compliments of the hotel.

The service, food and standard of the rooms was impeccable. We also felt welcome and never out of place.

I dont think we will stay at any other hotel in London again. Simply the best.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank dave151076
It is very rewarding to read your feedback and I am grateful to you for sharing your experience. I very much hope that your enchantment with The Ritz will continue for many years to come. We do like to go all out on special occasions! Thank you. SB