“Tea at the ritz”

Ranked #25 of 1,063 Hotels in London
wales u.k.
“Tea at the ritz”
Reviewed 5 August 2014 via mobile

What an amazing experience !
Beautiful sandwiches , and delicious cakes .
I had coffee which was absolutely gorgeous .
We didn't order a birthday cake after reading reviews on here about being full and if going to waste ,
It would have !!
We declined 'another' top up to our sandwiches as we were so full .
It was just wonderful .

Stayed August 2014

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (468)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Grantham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Had a wonderfull experience at the Ritz in London thanks to a great Christmas present. This place is something not to be missed if you get the chance. Every thing from the greeting at the main entrance through to the dining room where we had a fantastic three course lunch was so exerlent. The professionalism of all the staff has to be seen to be believed.May we take the time to say a big thank you for making this a day never to be forgotten to all concerned.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Stephen_Boxall, Managing Director at The Ritz London, responded to this review, 28 August 2014
Sir, it was our pleasure and I can tell how much you enjoyed yourselves. Thank you. SB
Kenilworth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 August 2014 via mobile

I was taken for my birthday as a surprise and when I walked in, I thought 'wow'.

The atmosphere is just great with the piano and violins playing. The food was great and VERY filling. However for the price we pay.... I have experienced better food in London.

I would recommend you to go for the tea and cake option. Definitely experience The Ritz though :)

Stayed July 2014
1 Thank Gugsey
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 August 2014 via mobile

I have just experienced a Champagne afternoon tea at the Ritz with my husband. This was a long awaited trip which was planned last year when I was having chemotherapy but could only come to fruition this year now that I am feeling better.
The positives:
1. The gift vouchers are beautifully presented
2. Making a reservation is straightforward but is booked months ahead so do book early
3. The Ritz is like a beautiful jewel box - you feel special by just being there
4. The sandwiches, cakes, pastries and scones are delicious.
5. The choice of teas is excellent
6. Everyone makes an effort with dressing up which adds to the occasion
7. There was a very good harpist playing which was beautiful

The cons:
Sadly we found the service inconsistent - we were sat in the middle of two tables for two and could see the difference in service on each table. We were asked several times if we were having Champagne which we had paid for. We waited and watched the waiters come and go with the Champagne for other guests but it wasn't until our tea arrived that they realised we still had not received our Champagne.
Both tables either side of us were offered tea refills several times whilst our table was ignored. Their plates were changed regularly and they were offered fresh scones etc. Little things make a big difference and I began to feel uncomfortable and could not work out why we were being overlooked.
In fairness at the end of the tea we were asked if we had enjoyed it and I asked them if they would like some feedback. I told them about the inconsistencies of service and the duty manager was charming and offered us both another glass of Champagne which we declined as we thought it was good of him but by this time I felt embarrassed and just wanted to leave. He very kindly gave me a bag with a teddy, tea and chocolates which was thoughtful but I really would have preferred the same service as my fellow diners. It's a shame because if is lovely and the staff do work very hard. Maybe they were just having an off day.

Stayed August 2014
3 Thank JanineHam
Reviewed 3 August 2014

We visited TheRitz for my parents golden wedding anniversary. The service and ambiance was truly outstanding.
The gentleman waiters were friendly and helpful. Simply beautiful. My mum especially loved every minute. Thank you very much x

• Stayed August 2014
Stephen_Boxall, Stephen Boxall at The Ritz London, responded to this review, 28 August 2014
Wonderful news. I would like to think that we are particularly good at making an occasion like a golden wedding anniversary extra special and I am so pleased that this would appear to be the case. Thank you for taking the time to let us know that our efforts were appreciated. SB
Northampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 August 2014

We are just an average couple who were going to the Theatre on a Saturday and wanted an experience to remember - another tick in the box of life. We've done it.

We chose a Pre- Theatre Set menu dinner at the Ritz at 6pm.

It would be so easy to say that it was an experience of a lifetime and it would be equally easy to say that it is over-rated and ostentatious.

Comments on our visit are as follows:

1) I knew that I would have to wear a jacket and tie during the meal but given this was August and it was a muggy day, it did not help the enjoyment of the experience.

2) We were given a vegetarian menu and, when we queried it, were told that this was the menu for the Pre-Theatre dinner. Time to leave!!! We then spoke to the head waiter who realised a mistake had been made and sorted it out. Thank you.

3) I ordered the pork main course but received lamb. I really enjoy lamb so said nothing. No complaints. The head waiter subsequently realised a mistake had been made in the kitchen and apologised profusely. Again, thank you. Now, for me, although it was not necessary, this was the time to go the extra mile and many restaurants would do it; a complimentary drink would not have broken the bank and would have left me thinking that it's not all about profit. That didn't happen though. One for Management to consider!!

4) Quality and taste of the food was superb. Quantity was non-existent. We expected this when we booked but it still came as a shock as to how little you can get on a plate. Perhaps this makes me a philistine but I do like to leave feeling satisfied. You do get as much bread etc as you want. We chose this "experience" so have no real issue with the quantity of food provided but, if you could feel aggrieved by a "minimal" plate, then best not select the menu we did.

5) Drinks are very expensive (as expected) - £9.50 for a bottle of lager, £6 for bottled water.

6) Waiter service was excellent but you could feel rushed if you allow it. Our 3 course meal lasted just over 1 hour.

In summary, we are delighted we did this. The building itself is amazing and so very grand, the standards set are very high and well maintained by the staff, the food and service were very good and we accepted the costs when we booked.

On our way home on the train, we met a family of four who had just been to the Ritz for an Afternoon Tea. They thoroughly enjoyed it and were delighted at the quality / quantity provided.

Will we return - the Afternoon Tea sounds good.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Twinturbomike
twickenham
Reviewed 2 August 2014

Having received an afternoon tea for two at the Ritz for my birthday, I was unsure as to what to expect quality wise.

The Ritz did not disappoint, the champagne is served upon being sat, then the sandwiches and the patisseries are brought to the table. There are many waiters looking after the tables and one of these refills the sandwiches on your cake stand. Another waiter brings additional cakes to your table from which you can choose from a selection. We had sticky toffee and lemon drizzle.

Then the scones come out, jam and clotted cream is already on the table. The choice of tea is very broad and the tea pot is refreshed as and when required.

One is advised to arrive 5 minutes prior to the reservation slot, we arrived approx, 10 minutes early and were seated immediately. We did not at any point feel rushed and the service was unobtrusive. We were unsure as to whether or not we might be given a bill at the end to pay a service charge - this did not happen. The voucher was taken at the beginning by the maitre de and money was not mentioned again!

A very elegant and classy affair at the Ritz - I would thoroughly recommend the champagne afternoon tea to anyone wishing to celebrate in style or anyone looking to indulge themselves for a couple of hours! Some top end hotels in London are rather stuffy and overly formal - the Ritz delivers class and prestige but without being pretentious. There were numerous birthdays whilst we were there with cakes being brought out and the pianist playing happy birthday - with the diners joining in! Thoroughly enjoyable.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple