“Tea- fantastic!”
Review of The Ritz London

The Ritz London
Ranked #30 of 1,076 Hotels in London
Reviewed 10 February 2009

On a recent visit to London I decided to have Tea at the Ritz with some friends. What a great experience! Everything was great about it. It started by waiting for the table in the lobby- whilst we were here it was great to watch all those who had no idea about the dress code get knocked back from the bar etc. How can you go here and not know about the famous dress code? Lots of fantastic strops!! When the table was ready, the food was fantastic- don't be worried about there not being enough as they top everything up for you! I would say if you are in London- this is a great thing to do! Reading the reviews about heavy security and people in the wrong dress- well what do you expect? Given the level of people who stay here security is needed and if you don't know the dress code or think you are above it- then more fool you really! A fine British institution- well worth a trip.

Stayed: February 2009
5  Thank zotar

Reviewed 2 February 2009

Just arrived back after an amazing weekend at this beautiful hotel. We had booked a exec. king room for my 40th birthday and on arriving at the hotel we were upgraded to a Jr Suite as a birthday 'treat' from the hotel! From the moment you arrive at the Ritz the service you receive is second to none and the quality of the hotel is nothing short of breathtaking. Yes it is expensive but for a special occasion it's the perfect venue.
We did not encounter any problems with security as mentioned in other reviews, nor did we feel uncomfortable as the staff are all very friendly and cannot do enough to help you. For those who complain about not being aloud in parts of the hotel without jacket and tie then they should go to other hotels. It's nice that everyone is made to dress smart in an age when 'anything goes', as it all adds to the sense of occasion.

• Stayed: January 2009
4  Thank Woldo69
Reviewed 4 January 2009

The Ritz is a throwback to how hotels were before they were put in huge global chains and staff left every other week. Its a fantastic experience which anyone travelling to London should experience. Its expensive but all five star hotels in London are when compared to regional or international standards and I think the quality make it exceptionally good value. You can stay in five star hotels nearby which are slightly cheaper but nowhere near as good. The hotel has everything: great atmosphere, comfortable rooms, amazing attention to detail from staff, superb location. I think the answer is staff retention, something too few hotels nowadays focus on. I hadn't stayed at the ritz for 14 months and it was amazing how many faces I recognised. This ensures you have professional staff not some spotty teenager or eastern european with limited english. Its great to see a hotel investing properly in its people. I am amazed at how they remember names, we were only there for two nights beofre christmas and when we returned after christmas the doormen welcomed us by name when we stepped out of the cab.

• Stayed: December 2008
3  Thank Chablino
Reviewed 16 December 2008

My friend and I stayed at The Ritz for one night in December. We booked the cheapest roome (even this was £300 for the room without breakfast). There was a mix-up over our check-in time which was entirely the hotel's fault, and this was rectified efficiently. We were given a free breakfast worth £30 each as an apology.

Everything else about the room was lovely. It was in very good condition, although if you looked closely you would see signs of wear and tear so I wouldn't describe it as immaculate.

Nonetheless, the service overall was impeccable, with doors opened for you everywhere you went, doormen with umbrellas accompanying you to your taxi and conciereges most helpful.

All in all, this hotel deserves the reputation it has.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled with friends
3  Thank MrJonty
Reviewed 7 December 2008

I stayed at the Ritz in a superior queen room on Saturday the 29th November this year. I've previously stayed there in a junior suite (later js) with my family.

I was happy with my stay, no problems at all. I arrived quite early in the morning (before 11 am), but my room was ready, so I was able to unload my luggage and go shopping straight away. The check-in and the check-out the next day were exremely efficient and friendly.

The room was smallish (as compared to the js) but ok for one person. Also the bathroom was smaller and the shower was in the bath. But of course you get what you pay for (the js is about 50% more expensive). The Floris toiletries were nice, the bathrobe and all other textiles of an excellent quality.

I had room service twice (the dinner and the breakfast), it was promptly delivered and good. The service was excellent, as it is allover the hotel. I especially liked the fact that you are addressed mostly by your name by the staff. The first time was when I arrived and put my foot out of the taxi! How do they do it?! The door men are really helpfull when you need a taxi etc.

I didn't have any problems at all with the security staff as I was properly dressed. I think it's nice that there still are places where people dress up a little bit. Some afternoon tea tourists, however, slightly OD'd on the dressing thing, I noticed. (Of course it's none of my business.)

All in all, if you like elegant and beautiful grand hotels with excellent service, the Ritz is a place for you. Not so much, if you are keen on latest technological gadgets, megasized tv's etc.
As you probably know, the location is the best possible, you can walk almost anywhere.

It's still one of my favourite hotels.

Last, I'd like to recommend the Renaissance faces exhibition at the National gallery. It¨'s great and at the same time very informative.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled solo
5  Thank MrsMK
Reviewed 12 November 2008

We arrived on a busy Saturday afternoon, and we're welcomed by the doorman. After he took our suitcase, we checked in and went to our beautifull room. Changing our traveloutft to our afternoon tea outfit, we went down for the afternoon tea. And that was superb! Such a lovely afternoon tea, big choice of items, very friendly international staff (love that). It took us almost 2 hours from start to finish, that is how good it was!
We went out for diner and the theatre, but when we arrived back we had a drink in the bar with a few cocktails, and again fantastic service, very relaxing.
For breakfast we got a great variety of items, which were perfectly cooked. And the service was fine, nothing special.
The only hickup we had was a roomservice charge on our bill, whilst we didn't had any roomservice. But that was instantly adjusted by the receptionist.
So, yes, it was expensive to go the Ritz, but we loved every minute of it.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled as a couple
6  Thank MaxZ
Reviewed 6 October 2008

All i can say about thye ritz is perfection. every moment of my experience in this historic hotel was comfortable, enjoyable and stress free. from the moment I walked in with the staff carrying my bags from the taxi to them waving me goodbye as i left i was stunned by the elegant and nostalgic decore, the spacious rooms, the impecibly polite and prompt service and last but not least the world class restaurant. i ate there twice during my stay and both meals were delicious and wonderfully presented, the wine was wonderful and the classic design of the dining hall tops it all of as it seems to almost transport you back in time. there is no other place in the world that has had such charm, class and elegance as the ritz in london. some people have complained that the dress code as well as the attitude to those in informal wear can seem to be snobby. however the ritz is a special establishment with an old fashioned feel that should be respected. if you do stay at the ritz it is a special occasion and an effort to dress up accordingly should be made. after all you would not dress casually for a wedding or a black tie ball. anyway i would recommend the ritz to anyone in search of an unforgettable few days regardless of the occasion as long as you are prepared to dress up and spend big because perfection isn't cheap.

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled with friends