“A fantastic hotel- This really is the best!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Ritz London

The Ritz London
Ranked #26 of 1,089 Hotels in London
ENGLAND
“A fantastic hotel- This really is the best!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2009

We have been lucky enough to stay at the Ritz on several occasions and have always found we leave wishing we were staying longer. The purpose of our recent stay was for my birthday and when we arrived at our suite they had left a cake and card wishing me a happy birthday - what a lovely gesture!
The staff are always friendly and helpful and always go out of their way to help in any way they can.
We will be returning to the Ritz soon for a short break and we are really looking forward to it!

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank DENTISTEngland

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (454)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Las Vegas, NV
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 October 2009

Comparing American luxury hotels with European is like comparing apples and oranges. Europe hotels simply cannot compare to the American ones.

The Ritz is nice but it would probably not be considered a 5 star in America. As with all of Europe, it's showing its age (in good ways and bad.) I suspect Europeans have lower standards for cleanliness and wear. Where do I start?

BATHROOM
-Spacious for Europe. Marble. Towel warmer seemed to leak natural gas. I stayed in two rooms and management didn't seem to think this was a problem. Don't smoke in the bathroom. BTw, who in Europe thinks that those glass partitions are superior to shower curtains. Slow drains. Faucet in one room had hot AND cold faucets making any attempt to wash with WARM water rather difficult and painful at times. Hairdryer was quite humorous to see and was probably was one of the first ones ever made.

BEDS
-Spacious again for European standards. Bed is a joke. Very soft. Too soft. Kinda like a bed that was new in the Eisenhower administration.

ROOM
-Worn. Telephones were outdated although internet was available. In Hospitality Suite, no printer avaible to print items

SERVICE
-Honestly, not bad but you get the stinkeye if you walk thru their precious lobby not wearing a suit and tie. Few of the staff are below 50. Same with the guests. At 37, I was probably the youngest person there. They are attentive to your needs but unless you're in suit and tie, they seem a bit wary of you. I would deem service good and it would be better if they didn't have this insipid looping video on their TV (channel 2, I believe) saying essentially how awesome they are. On a down note as well, urgency doesn't seem to be their focus whether at check -in/out or at the concierge.

OVERALL
This place is OK but loses points for not seeing it needs to improve (especially in "American" (if not global) terms. If you think you are going to be staying at a place similar to Ritz Carlton, Bellagio, Mandarin Oriental or Four Seasons, I got news for you...you're won't be.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank Kingbear23
Olympia, WA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 October 2009

We spent our last night in London at The Ritz and admittedly booked it on a whim. So, we might not have been put in the best room on the best floor (we got room 226).

The hotel IS splendid as you walk through its immense, luxurious lobby. You really have to see it to appreciate it. And, the bell staff were quite attentive, pointing out every feature and amenity in our room. But, the room itself was a disappointment.

First, it was hot. And there was only one A/C vent - in a window sill on the far side of the room - laboring away rather unsuccessfully. Thankfully, the room had electric roll-down window shades and they helped. We also requested, and got, a small in-room air-conditioning unit that also helped. But even with that, the room was still too warm for my tastes.

Second, it was noisy. We heard people walking in the hallway, heard our neighbors' voices through the vent in the bathroom, and heard someone running back in forth in the room above us at 11PM as we were trying to get to sleep. We also heard the water in the adjacent room go on and off - loudly - several times.

Third, only the most basic amenities; shampoo, conditioner, lotion, two small bars of average soap. Yes, there were robes and slippers. But, the TV was small and inconveniently placed on a small chest of drawers far away from the bed and partially blocking access the the bathroom. Also, the door to our room had only one lock - a simple push-button doorknob.

Fourth, the bed wasn't all that comfortable. Actually, make that the pillows. They were all too big and overstuffed, and I woke up in the morning with a stiff neck.

The only meal we ate there was breakfast the next morning and it was good. But, nothing to write home about.

All in all I'd say The Ritz is a lot like my Grandmother. Old, worldly, a little old-fashioned, and a little dated. I'd go back to tour the lobby again. But I'm not sure I'd want to stay there again.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank OlympiaSteve
South Wales
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 September 2009

I have just returned from a weekend break to celebrate my 40th birthday at the Ritz hotel. We are a family of 4 with children aged 15 and 12 yrs. I have to say that from the moment we got there this hotel had the wow factor! There was a card and a birthday cake in my room upon check in. Everything was taken care of and the staff were wondefull. Our package included a junior suite, breakfast and we also booked afternoon tea on the day of my birthday. The room was lovely and the bathroom huge. The breakfast was delighful with a delicious selection and is served in the ritz restaurant with all it's beautiful surroundings. Afternoon tea was served in the palm court and again there was plenty of choice i highly recommed this for a special occasion. Room service arrived exactly at the requested time but i have to mention the jewel of the Ritz - Tony the concierge, he provided us with excellent tickets for a show and also recommended and booked us a table at an excellent restaurant again at a moments notice, nothing was impossible or too much trouble for him. Despite this being a 5 star hotel the children were welcomed which we have not always found in the past with this type of hotel, every night milk and cakes were left for them and all the staff went out of their way to speak to them. We wanted to do some shopping on our last day so after we checked out we left our luggage in the hotel and they were placed in the car for us, when we returned to the hotel the car was brought to the front with all our belongings ready to leave. We really did have a fantastic 3 night stay here and cant wait to return. I shall expect my husband to take me to the Ritz for every birthday and as he enjoyed it so much himself i think i am in with a good chance !!!

• Stayed September 2009, travelled with family
kimbolton
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 September 2009

My husband and I stayed there Bank holiday weekend and it was the best service we have ever received. From the moment we arrived, the staff were genuinely friendly and efficient. The doorman took our luggage and radio'd through to reception our names so we didn't even have to tell them who we were.
Everything ran smoothly and the receptionist showed us round the hotel before taking us to our room.
There was a small birthday cake waiting for me and the room was lovely.
We had booked a different restaurant so didn't eat there that night but when we came back to the hotel the restaurant was still buzzing because the have a dinner dance on Saturday nights which we wish we had booked instead!
We had a nightcap in the hotel bar, I had the Ritz 100 cocktail which was recommended by the receptionist and it was lovely.
When we returned to our room they had done a wonderful turndown service with his and hers slippers, lovely souvenir to take home!
I can't wait to return, it was very special.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2009

The ultimate London joy, a stay at the Ritz. The first view of the room was jaw dropping, gilded ceilings, gilded faucets and champagne! The treats didn't end , our rate included dinner with 4 courses, and a full English breakfast the next morning. The staff was willing and delightful. I w as celebrating my 60th birthday, and I think it is almost worth turning 60 to have such a lovely time. Thank you Ceasar Ritz and all who follow !

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with friends
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2009

The Ritz London harkens back to an era of grace, manners, elegance, and unparalleled service that seems more often than not today to have all but vanished from our society. I have been lucky enough to stay here a few times, and it remains my hotel of choice in London. In my view, nobody comes close to doing hospitality like the Ritz. The service is second to none; I don't know where they find their incredible staff or how they train them, but I have never stayed anywhere where the employees were so inviting, friendly, and constantly helpful in ways that go far beyond what is merely required. In addition to being constantly good-natured, accommodating, and amiable, as one would hope for but so often doesn't find even at a hotel of this caliber, they went out of their way to make our stay as pleasant and memorable as possible. They made nightly reservations for us at London's best restaurants, places we would never have gotten into on our own; on our way out when we stopped to ask for directions, they offered us the hotel's Rolls Royce free of charge to drop us off; the doormen even learned our names--not to mention remembered us from our earlier stay and made mention of it, despite the hundreds of new faces they must take in daily. In the world of service at luxury hotels, the rest would do well to take notice of the way it is done at the Ritz.

The rooms are of course superb, flawlessly clean and lavishly elegant. Our suite was as spacious as it was beautiful, with high ceilings and a simply amazing marble bathroom with a whirlpool tub and glass shower. Housekeeping and room service were as beyond reproach as the rest of our experience at the Ritz, and I think I could very happily have given up my house to move into that lovely room.

We arrived immediately following a stay at the George V in Paris, a hotel that is often described as perhaps the finest in the world; despite having a wonderful stay there, we found the Ritz far more charming. Everything about it breathes gentility, from the beautiful decor to the strict dress code required in the Palm Court, bar, and restaurant. I understand that this formality is not to everyone's taste, but it never ceases to amaze me how people will complain about it as though it were a fault of the hotel. The sense of the elegance of a bygone era is one of the Ritz's distinguishing features, and if it isn't to one's liking, then the solution is simple--one ought not to stay here. For my part, I find it refreshing in this world of torn jeans and endless informality; in its sophistication, its charm, its spectacular service, and yes, even its formality, the Ritz pays heed to the niceties of the past, and for that, there is nowhere in the world I would rather stay.

• Stayed May 2006, travelled with family