“a great time at the Ritz with kids”
Review of The Ritz London

The Ritz London
Ranked #30 of 1,078 Hotels in London
Reviewed 22 February 2010

Having travelled to London many times as a couple and having stayed at the Ritz before we were a bit nervous about going with out two young children (4 and 5). We did not need to worry, from start to finish the Ritz staff welcomed us and were wonderful with our children. As any parent knows if the children are happy then you are happy! The children had teddy bears waiting on their bed on arrival and they also had slippers and bathrobes for their age. They were left some really lovely children's toiletries and they loved having a bath with them. Each evening room service brought them milk and brownies or muffins. The children's room service menu is well thought out and the food very good. We had breakfast in our room which was wonderful, the children loved the French toast. We loved the poached eggs and the croissants.

We stayed in the Berkeley suite so the children had their own bedroom and we had plenty of space. There was champagne on ice when we arrived along with fresh fruit and nibbles. The room was very clean and the bed very comfortable.

Doormen and porters always helped us with bags and pushchairs and were also good with the children.

We are used to staying in nice places and travel a lot as a family but the Ritz really was wonderful. We shall certainly be back this year.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (3,701)

Reviewed 21 February 2010

We dined at the Ritz in January, and we absolutely charmed with the place. It was then that we decided to come over again and stay at the hotel for the 14th of February.
Actually, we arrived on the 13th, and stayed for a night at the Ritz. It was a magical experience one absolutely ought to have at least once in a lifetime! From the very entrance to the hotel to the check-out the following morning, everything was impeccable. Our expectations were high - what else can one wish to get in a hotel of such class? - and they were all duly met.
It was very pleasant to feel a welcome guest there, as they actually make you feel at home in this palace of elegance and style.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 February 2010

We had the most amazing romantic weekend here.

Nothing was too much from the amazing staff.

Thinking of booking again for my birthday

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 January 2010

A truly impressive hotel in terms of spendour and grandeur. I would say that it is a "must" to stay in the Ritz at least once in your lifetime.

We were visiting London to go to a friend's 50th birthday party, which was a black tie event. It thus made sense to us to stay at the Ritz since we would have the suitable attire with us .

Our room was a "deluxe king size" on the first floor overlooking the main road. The room was very large, well appointed and spotless. The bathroom was nice enough, but had a shower above the bath rather than a shower cubicle. The room cost GBP 390 + VAT and was booked directly over the hotel's web site. Along with an excellent breakfast for two in the large restaurant and a couple of drinks in the magnificent bar, the final bill came to just over GBP 500.

There is always a lot of talk on the forums about the dress code here. My advice is to avoid wearing jeans in all areas of the hotel and make sure you take a jacket and tie with you. At breakfast I did see one person wearing jeans, but that was one person out of about 50.

The Ritz says it prides itself on guest security - there's a video all about it on one of the room TV channels. This means you *will* get stopped and questioned by hotel staff upon entering the hotel, no matter how you look. They ask your name and room number and check it from a list. I found it useful to keep the hotel key with me as added proof of being a guest. If you stay for more than one day, the staff would get to recognize you and (presumably) no longer ask. This level of security can be a bit offputting, hence I thought it was important to warn potential visitors.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple
4  Thank karate_boss
Reviewed 20 January 2010

I stayed at the Ritz for a week for business. The hotel was in a great location, I walked to Picadilly Circus and Covent Garden one night. The service was great. When I checked in, my room wasn't ready yet so they set me up in the hospitality suite for my (short) wait. The suite had coffee, tea, pastries, tv and internet, and a bathroom. The room itself was fabulous. Very comfortable bed and quiet. I was on the main street side but heard no traffic noise. The bathroom was great, with a towel heater and bathtub/shower combo. When I first got to the room my internet wasn't working and so they sent somene up immediately to help fix it and we did figure out the problem promptly - exactly the kind of service I expect for this price bracket! The location is next to a park (Green park or something like that) and in walking distance to shops, food, bars, atms, coffee shops, etc. It is also very easy to get a cab to go anywhere you please or it is less than 1/2 block to the [Green Park?] Tube stop. Highly recommended for comfortable business travel or for a couples stay. Not recommended for families as it seemed a bit "stuffy" to me and you weren't allowed in the dining room or even the bar(!) without a jacket. I mean comeon, I can't have a nightcap with out getting all decked out? That is the only downside to an otherwise superb hotel.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank Luv2Travel484

Anyways, back to the Ritz:

Value for money: Excellent.

Room sizes and cleanliness, perfect.

Location: Excellent, the best designer stores are within minutes walking distance, so are the theatres as well as the Nobu restaurant.

Restaurant: Top marks. Surprised that it has no Michelin stars, I'd give it at least 2.

Casino: A work of art.

Rivoli bar: Fantastic, original cocktails.

Room: Pure luxury.

Technology in the room: Not so much.

Concierge: Efficient.

PILLOW MENU with like 10 different types of pillows.

All in all the Ritz, is a royal experience. Would definately return.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 January 2010

After reading a few reviews about the Ritz, I was a bit apprehensive about the "rude and snobby" personnel but I found everybody to be most welcoming and polite. Because of the New Year's Parade (we arrived on 1st January) it was absolute hell to get anywhere near the hotel because of the streets being blocked. The sat nav in the car was getting us all heated up as it didn't take into account all the blocked off roads. The receptionist was most sympathetic to our ordeal & offered us a complimentary cup of tea and coffee which was delivered to our room, even though the room service waiter asked me to sign the bill & even at the reception when checking out but this wasn't a problem for me. It's true that if you yourself don't appear smiling and warm, or even talkative to the personnel, then the personnel IS rather stiff (I noticed this attitude with other guests who may have wanted to appear snobs and aloof themselves) but I'm not an unsmiling and reserved person, (see my other reviews of other hotels in the world) so I found everyone absolutely wonderful, from the personnel at the reception, the concierges, the doormen who were so charming, everyone. Because I smile a lot & have a little word to say to everyone, the personnel got to know my face pretty quickly but my husband is the unsmiling reserved type & unfortunately on the last day of our stay, the security man went upto him & asked him politely yet firmly if he was staying in the hotel & his room number! I laughed but my husband didn't! The hotel is stunningly beautiful inside, an absolute delight for the eyes. We were a party of 6 for tea & as my guests were not allowed to take away the cakes & sandwiches (so very many) that hadn't been eaten, I asked for them to be delivered to my room, which was done instantly in 2 lovely Ritz boxes. I must admit I have had better high teas (£39 per person) for example at the Ritz in Madrid or Reid's Palace in Madeira, but I wouldn't say it was bad. The beauty of the tea room & the lulling sound of the pianist playing nearby was really super. The cocktails and dinner were absolutely delicious and worth the price. The room was very pretty though the thick luxurious drapes in the room were stained and made a difference to the quality of everything else in the room & bathroom. Wonderfully generous luxurious toiletries. Internet, wifi, wasn't free but I couldn't be bothered to find out the price, too expensive I supposed, like in many hotels. The fitness room wasn't very big and there's no swimming pool. Our car was parked by the valet for the 3 days, (whilst we took the public transport all around London) & even though the hotel's private car park wasn't cheap at all, (around £58 per 24 hours) it was very practical. Breakfast was nothing fantastic, not a lot of choice but okay. It's true there are a LOT of waiters but I never felt they were hovering too close, they were extremely discrete and efficient. Concerning the suit & tie, even for high tea, I quite like this quaint idea. I rather enjoyed seeing my husband dressing up for tea & dinner, didn't realise how attractive he could be! The hotel is so close to all the main shops, buses and undergrounds, no need for a car. All in all, it was a wonderful experience. Next year we shall be trying Claridge's but I'm sure I shall be back in the Ritz as soon as I can. Splendid hotel, a true institution.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple