“World class service”

Ranked #30 of 1,068 Hotels in London
Manchester, England
“World class service”
Reviewed 1 September 2010

I made my one night reservation through LHW and selected the Ritz almost entirely because of its location, which was within a 1 minute walk to where I needed to be the next day.
I arrived very late in the most atrocious weather, which had caused havoc with my travels during the day. In complete contrast to the chaos outside, the very warm welcome I received on arrival was about as good as it gets. Everything relating to check in was dealt with perfectly and within minutes I was relaxing in the comfort of my room. Check out was just as efficient.
The hotel itself is everything I expected but the staff are what makes this place world class - service as good as I've had anywhere.
I had only ever previously had afternoon tea at the Ritz (which is also excellent), but there is no doubt whatsoever that I will be staying here again.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (471)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Madrid, Spain
Reviewed 28 August 2010

we found this hotel on luxury group website, which only features the cream of the crop and allows you to book direct through hotel's own website.
we were totally impressed with this hotel from the start - its not cheap but then again you don't go the Ritz if on a budget.
very plush and very service oriented hotel. we loved it. expect to see celebs and other glitzy people.
restaurant is fabulous as well.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
Munich, Germany
Reviewed 16 August 2010

Since the early years of the 20th century, The Ritz Hotel in London has been synonymous with luxury, elegance and fine dining. While it is a destination that most of us couldn’t afford to patronise on a regular basis, for those lucky enough to have saved the wherewithal for a ‘special occasion’ visit it is a highly desirable location. I was fortunate enough to spend two days there in Jan-04…

and they were two days I won’t be forgetting in a hurry. ...

• Stayed March 2010, travelled on business
UK
Reviewed 15 August 2010

It's just one of those things that you have to do once in your life. Tea for two in the Palm Court was a pleasant way to while away a couple of hours and actually not bad value for money. The hotel experience, however was stuffy and pretentious but that is what I expected. It's just one of those things that you have to do.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with friends
Monaco-Ville, Monaco
Reviewed 13 August 2010

As a lover of historic hotels with grandezza, I had to stay in the Ritz at some point, and was prompted to do so by a business meeting there.

Pricing was moderate (in that league) in the € 350 area. I would say that is fantastic value for money.

Service was friendly and good everywhere, except maybe the breakfast shift who seemed a liitle to cool and uninterested in doing their jobs.

The room was small but extremely comfortable and newly made (I expected the usual English scruffiness, but no...). Everything top-level, except maybe the AC, which is a bit of a desert-hot or ice-cold affair and the weak TV-system with too few programs and no on-demand video

The fitness room is very small. Just ok, if you are in there alone.

I enjoyed getting complimentary access to the Ritz Club & Casino which can be entered through a secret door. Very posh and intimate and a actually a good meeting place even for the non-gamblers, like myself. In addition you avoid the crowds which frequent the main lobby for the "famous" Ritz high tea.

The usual problem: how to get (only) a luxury crowd to a luxury hotel? I was shocked how badly and cheap dressed many of the day guests showed up. If I were the Ritz, I would not impose a "no jeans policy", which on occasions prohibits very attracrtive people from entering, but I would impose a doorman like in a top night club who does a proper "smart people selection". Because anyway, guests are constantly being screened if they fit or not.

Sometimes you feel more like being in a public museum and it probably takes many stays to be made feel "in a home away from home".

Overall, I'd like to compare the Ritz London with the Hotel de Paris in Monaco or the Principe di Savoia in Milan.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled on business
Skipton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 August 2010

The hotel promises five star treatment. We received
An obtrusive indiscreet receptionist
A room that was not ready, even thought it was past the designated check-in time
Being taken to a waiting room where refreshments were said to be available. These refreshments were cold coffee, and no water for tea. These were not served but on a do it yourself basis (we did not realise we were checking into a self-catering establishment!)
The room we booked was a superior king but we realised afterwards that we were actually given a superior queen room. Perhaps we were not rich or famous enough to qualify for a king room but that was what we had paid for.
On the positive side, afternoon tea was very nice but not up to the standards of the Lainsborough.
I fear nothing would encourage us to stay at the Ritz again (do not believe the hype and promises made on the hotel web page).

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
7 Thank Views3
London
Reviewed 6 August 2010

Look, staying at the Ritz is just a game. The rules of the game say you have to wear a suit. And it doesn't matter if you just got off a private jet or got the tube from Victoria, them's the rules - for everyone - so just abide by them and enjoy the fun. We stayed three days at the Ritz and worked this out early on ........ actually, no-one wears a tie anywhere nowadays except for weddings and funerals, but these also are occasions where one has to dress a certain way, just like the Ritz. Once they allow a tiny amount of leeway on their dress code then it will open the floodgates.

My boyfriend and I found the staff quite charming, even when they were nicely reminding us of the dress code as we checked in. The check-in person showed us around the hotel and made no difficulties about our appearance (jeans), walking us through the Palm Court, bar, restaurant etc. Maybe this is what some other Tripadvisor clients meant when they say the rich and famous can walk around in jeans? My advice is, try a nice smile instead of the attitude, and you too may get to walk around the Ritz in jeans like a movie star!

But it was discreetly and respectfully made clear that the jeans would not do for the rest of our stay, and as I said, we were happy to play that game.

The hotel is beautiful. The room service was almost instantaneous, room was silent and dark (at night!) - great night's sleep!

One night we had a superb dinner in the restaurant; absolutely world-class food, gorgeous wine, beautiful live music, discreet and attentive service ..... oh! and also in the room were some seriously A-list celebrities, which made it extra-special.

The staff addressed us by name and went out of their way to make our stay memorable with countless personal touches e.g. (from the doorman) "Welcome back to the Ritz Mr X, how was your visit to St Paul's?" - he had flagged a taxi for us to St Paul's in the morning. Likewise from the concierge, who also enquired after our night out and remembered where we had been. Delightful bar staff, too, particularly the manager.

Recommend the Wolseley next door for a fabulous breakfast (if you are missing your jeans and trainers too much!).

I hope the Ritz never changes; it is a legend and rightly so. It's incredible! If you want old-school glamour go to the Connaught, if you want luxury then go to the Dorchester, but if you want to be part of something unique and very special then do, please, stay at the lovely Ritz. But remember, it's only a game!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple