“Amazing hotel, unique”
Review of The Ritz London

The Ritz London
Ranked #29 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed 7 February 2011

Hotel is an amazing place to stay if you are lucky enough to go. Rooms are big and spacious. The staff are the best, friendly, efficent and nothing is ever to much to ask. The spa is also very good, and well priced. Breakfast was very good, you can order anything from ceral, fruit, steak or even dover sole!

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JerseyBenp

Reviewed 21 January 2011

Went there on a business trip and it was amazing, would def visit it again maybe this time on a pleasure trip.

Stayed: February 2010, travelled on business
2  Thank mariaelenamarchese
Reviewed 18 January 2011

I am writing on behalf of my husband and myself to inform you of how much we enjoyed our recent stay at the ‘Ritz’ in room 108, which is now our favourite room. (5th October to 10th October 2010)
Everything was just perfect and the staff should be commended.
The Booking Clerk who took the reservation and got it all right.
The Doormen who greeted us with a smile every day and made us feel very welcome.
The Concierge who organised dinner reservations for us and all the staff who worked so hard to make our stay most enjoyable.
The food in the restaurant was delicious at breakfast and dinner and the service second to none.
We enjoyed the dinner dance very much. Peter O’Donnell his band and all the musicians who performed are very talented. (You don't have to be a 'proper' dancer to attend as some are good and some are not. No one is judging.) It's a lovely evening.
Housekeeping who keep the whole place spotless are a credit to you.
The ‘Ritz Club’ staff made us very welcome. The club itself is a beautiful place to visit.
The ‘Ritz Fine Jewellery’ staff are friendly, efficient and deliver what they say and on time too!
The Duty Manager who organised ‘surprise’ champagne at Franco’s, it was a lovely surprise and a very kind gesture.
The birthday cake!
The perfect room.
What else can I say. This was our fourth visit to the Ritz and I don’t know how you manage it but every time we have been we think, “This is the best time we could have had” and then we come back again and you make the new visit even better than the previous one.
Everyone goes out of their way to make you feel special and nothing is too much trouble.
I don't know why the previous guests have been so disgruntled. We have experienced nothing but fantastic service and accommodation and would thoroughly recommend the 'Ritz' to anyone. Go on it's special. Try it and see.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Grasmere
Reviewed 9 January 2011

We have stayed here many times. The location is the best in London. On Piccadilly adjoining Green Park and steps from the tube. We normally get 2 connecting junior suites. One for us and one for our 3 children. The staff is always gracious. The security knows us and treats us well. The concierge are the best- from tickets to anything, to directions, to help with odd requests. The rooms are beautiful and kept in pristine condition. The beds are fantastic. I have had back surgery and am able to sleep well. The pillows are abundant and soft. There are always extra blankets and comforters. Each junior suite is very large with a large sitting area and a second smaller area with a desk and chairs. areas. The bathrooms have heated floors and towel racks and are wall to wall marble. The bathrobes are fluffy and comfortable. The restaurant has a nice buffet for breakfast and is quite beautiful. The bar has good sandwiches and as a guest you are automatically eligible for the casino- it is small, quiet and dull BUT the casino's rooms are gorgeous and the food in its bar and restaurant is excellent. The only downsides are the public area is quite small, there are a million non-guests for high tea and if you don't like dressing up you will hate it as there is a dress code at all times.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank cbreezedad
Reviewed 5 January 2011

Myself and my partner stayed at the Ritz on New Years Eve just gone 2010 coming into 2011 for a treat. We went to a fantastic restaurant and wanted to stay near by to avoid the problems getting back with lack of trains New Years Eve.

We wish we had chosen another hotel as the experience was not just disappointing but a total shock and a waste of money.

On arriving the greeting we got was not bad but it went down hill from there. We stayed in room 606 New Years eve and on entering the room it was freezing cold. We were told the heating system was on so I gave it time to heat up. However their system was so old it did not work and I sat in my clothes and in one of their robes trying to warm up it was so cold!

I rang for a heater but even though it arrived it was useless and was so cheap it did not make much of a difference not what you expect when you are paying nearly £600 for a room!

We also had a bottle of champagne which we were told would be in our room on our arrival but it was not there. It was a surprise to my partner but not for long as I had to remind them to deliver it as it was not there in front of them!

They seemed totally unorganised and you had to tell them everything twice to get things done.

We had a great evening out of the hotel at a local Mayfair restaurant and returned to our hotel. The next day we had booked afternoon tea - WHAT A MISTAKE! I have had afternoon tea at the Dorchester, Waldorf London and The Royal Crescent in Bath which were fantastic but not the case at the Ritz!

The gentleman (Maitre'D) who showed us to our table was in a word scary! He did not smile and seemed in a very bad mood. Why do people work with people if they are not good with people!!????? To say his attitude was bad would be an understatement and the other staff serving the tea were no better. I do not think I saw any of them smile they were cold, rude and very unfriendly to be honest it was a real shock the way they were going around treating people.

As mentioned I have recently have stayed at the Dorchester and had afternoon tea there also and they were wonderful. Everyone at the Dorchester were friendly, kind and helpful a totally different experience to the Ritz.

The sandwiches were not good very poor in-deed and the scones (meant to be freshly baked) tasted like they had been sitting around for days and heated up in the microwave.

We felt that the Ritz is just playing on its history and yet offers a really bad service with rude and cold staff. To be honest we could not wait for the afternoon tea to be over! I would urge anyone thinking about staying in this hotel or going for afternoon tea to think again because it really was very very poor in-deed. You will have a far better experience at the Dorchester where you are treated so well and you cannot wait to go back. We wished we had stayed there instead!

I wrote a letter of complaint to the duty manager and left it with the reception staff but up until now I have not even had a reply! This just shows you how much they value their guests as 5 days on nothing - I have even emailed them and not had a response. I am appalled and would never stay there again.

On leaving it was raining and the door man was meant to be getting us a taxi and helping with our luggage, however they seemed so unorganised and had got the wrong car out for someone and another lot of guests leaving were waiting it was chaos. We ended up having to stand in the rain to get our own taxi as we were left standing there for 40 minutes with no help. Now I do not mind mucking in and getting on with things myself I am not one of these people who expect everything to be done for me but to be honest they have no idea of 5 star service. If you save up and treat yourself you would like to think you would get a warm room, friendly staff and a good afternoon tea..... but sadly we got non of these things.

I STRONGLY SUGGEST YOU FIND ANOTHER HOTEL AS THE RITZ IN OUR OPINION IS NICE TO LOOK AT BUT THAT IS WHERE IT ENDS - 2 STAR FOR SERVICE WOULD BE KIND!

DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
44  Thank SuebUK1967
Reviewed 9 December 2010

I booked 2 double for 3 days at the Ritz through Amex Platinum and would have been entitled to room upgrades. Like all bad hotels , the Ritz did not honor the promise to Amex. One of the rooms was only ready by 4 p.m. . Our room was cold we had to ask for an extra radiator. Not only did nobody at the Ritz remember our names, my daughters were treated like prostitutes when they came home to the hotel after their graduation ball! just because after 2 days we were still not identified as guests staying at the hotel!
when we checked out we were in for a big surprise.Our bill had more than 300 pounds of unjustified charges on it. Room service on the morning we checked in (how can I consume breakfast when checking in at 1p.m.?) A local phone call of 10 minutes cost 33 pounds, Under no circumstances would I stay at this hotel ever again.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled with family
26  Thank brausimausi
Reviewed 28 November 2010

OMG, there are no words to describe a visit to the Ritz but I'll try. They say there are two members of staff to every visitor and it shows. We were staying in a junior suite. We were shown to the suite and given a tour of the room and amenities. The room was opulant and even had a photo to show Sophie Loren had stayed there in the 60's which somehow just added to the charm of the chandeliers and golden furniture. The bed was so comfortable and breakfast ended up taking an hour, as they just kept asking if you wanted more food and what's a girl to do!! The staff couldn't do enough for you, from the doorman upwards. I would recommend saving your pennies and having at least one night in your life in this fantastic hotel. On a practical note, if your staying at the hotel you can attend the afternoon tea but if not you have to book 3 months in advance, they have about 6 sittings starting at 10.30am. No jeans are allowed except to breakfast, we saw someone being turned away for wearing jeans.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple