“Excellent rooms, restaurant and service”

The Athenaeum Hotel & Residences
Ranked #150 of 1,067 Hotels in London
Suffolk
“Excellent rooms, restaurant and service”
Reviewed 12 June 2011

I stayed at the Athenaeum a few years ago and didn't give it top marks. In the meantime I have visted a couple of times for lunch/afternoon tea, all of which were very good, and decided to stay again in May for my 30th bday.

My wife originally booked the Savoy (for £495 per night room only) and I cancelled the booking and chose the Athenaeum instead - I'm glad I did.

The hotel was on top form, and having been refurbished a year or to ago everything is modern and in tip top condition. I really don't have any adverse comments, so I will list the postives:

Check in - asked for an early one and got it. The receptionist was very friendly.

The room was wonderful and very quiet (a superior room on the 7th floor). The furniture and furnishings were top quality and overall room design was excellent. Very comfy bed (including a pillow menu), plenty of space (although bathroom small) and a decent size flat screen with plenty of channels.

A very WELCOME DEPATURE FROM THE NORMAL HOTEL RIP OFF is that most items in the minibar are complimentary. Alcohol aside, water, fruit juices, fizzy drinks, crisps, chocolates, nuts, granola bars etc are free AND replenished everyday. It is so nice for a hotel not to rip its customers off. There was also a Nespresso machine complimentary.

Wifi is also complimentary - which is very RARE in other London 5 star hotels.

We dined in the restaurant on Friday evening and the food, bread, service, amouse bouches etc were excellent. We dined on a set menu for less than £30 per head - excellent value for money. (BTW, the next evening we dined at a Michelin star restaurant, Seven Park Place, which cost £250+ and was not as good as the Athenaeum).

The breakfast each morning was really very good. It had an amazing selection of top quality food, including fresh honey comb, and unusual items like creme brulee and smoothies. Breakfast was included in our rate, but if it wasn't I would have paid the £27pp becuase it was so good.

The bar is very romantic, and our cocktails were served with complimentary nuts and (to die for) olives.

All staff, especially the English doormen were excellent.

Thank you Athenaeum for a wonderful stay - I will be back!

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank SuffolkHotelhopper

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (468)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Claremont, California
Reviewed 11 June 2011

Great location. Spotless rooms. The best bathrooms in England. And the minibar is included in the price! How can you top that? Cozy bar off the lobby. Like all of London, it is expensive, but worth it!

• Stayed June 2011
1 Thank John F
London
Reviewed 31 May 2011

We stayed at the Athenaeum for a short family break - the two of us, our 7 week baby girl and our 2 year old Cocker Spaniel. It's truly amazing to find somewhere so well located, funky, impeccable high quality, friendly service... that is family and dog friendly!!

The service was first rate with door staff and reception being friendly, efficient and helpful. Atul was a great host and overall it all felt very friendly and intimate.

We LOVED the design of the hotel – the restaurants, rooms etc are all really stylish, quirky and original, but in a timeless quality way versus the gimmick Sanderson/Metropolitan style. Very airy and bright, even in the restaurants. Nice touches with the use of Perspex/clear resins, modern personal design twists and great combinations of old and new throughout. Rooms were super comfortable – slept really well, nice and quiet (even with dog and baby) – and loved things like the big industrial fridge mini bar and the Nespresso machines. Really good that the hotel is following the forward thinking trend of making soft drinks, super fast high quality wifi, etc complimentary not ripping people off – very enlightened, and one for other hotels to learn from.

The location is good - in the heart of Mayfair/Piccadilly and so near The Palace and the parks. You don’t quite get the grandeur of Claridges/Dorch, and shame the Sheraton spoils the walk outside (sorry Sheraton!), but good to make the most of Nobu, Berkely Square, Fortum & Mason etc – it’s in the thick of things not isolated on Hyde Park.

Food was delicious – afternoon tea and also the dinner later on, some of the best ribeye we've had in a while, and great restaurant. The babysitting service was also a great boon - our first night out since having the baby, and a lovely, experienced and mature nanny who we knew straight away we could trust with our precious little girl (and our pesky Cocker!!) The dog didn’t quite understand his bed, but it looked very cool and quirky and in keeping with the design.

All in all a superb stay and couldn't recommend it highly enough.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank linsays
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 20 May 2011

I stayed at the Athenaeum in January as a birthday treat. I enjoyed it and would stay there again, but have a few issues with it. Good points: The staff were generally welcoming, lovely and helpful (especially the prince of a doorman and the concierge); the place is spotlessly clean, very cosy, and extremely comfortable; the location's great (in Mayfair, close to two Tube stations and a mainline railway station, plus the place is awash in cabs); the rooms are quite pretty; the bed was the most comfortable hotel bed I've ever slept in; the quality of the little amenities such as the tea things and the toiletries are good; and the overall decor is cute. Not-quite-so-good points: The rooms are very small and walled with mirrors, so it's like trying to sleep in a jewelbox; the aircon is a bit noisy and the buttons on the telephone/control unit/bedside gadget thingy are surprisingly bright (I finally switched off the aircon, opened a window, and put the gadget under the bed - after that I slept fine); the bath is clean but a bit worn; and the bathrooms are decidedly cramped (at one point I nearly got stuck in the teeny bath but managed to wriggle out of it, although I banged my head on the heated towel rail in the process!). Worst of all, someone from the maid service opened my bedroom door, without even knocking, well before 9 a.m. on the morning of my birthday, propelling me abruptly out of sleep and out of bed and nearly straight into a freaking coronary. :) Great start to my day, I don't think! I'd read about maids at this hotel doing this on other Tripadvisor reviews but assumed it was a fluke. Apparently not. Still, those things aside, the Athenaeum is a very nice boutique hotel and I would recommend it... particularly to early risers.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled solo
5 Thank Tehomet
Reviewed 15 May 2011

I stay regularly in London. This was my first time at this hotel, chosen by a friend of mine. A good choice. I have stayed at better hotels, but for location and value for money, the hotel has individuality and quality. The doorman was outstanding. Always pleasant, engaging and a great introduction to the hotel.
We were upgraded without asking. The drinks and nibbles were included in the price. This gesture is relatively cheap to offer and it's value far outweighs it's cost.
We ate out on Saturday evening, but breakfast whilst not cheap (£27) was good (albeit the omelette was a little cold). The value was excellent, because they only charged for mine and my 10 year old son was not charged for. I think this was deliberate!
I confess we were all in a good mood, City having won the cup final at Wembley, but I have rebooked for 2 nights in August for the Community shield.
The living wall outside, is in keeping with this quality boutique hotel.

• Stayed May 2011
1 Thank Ashfield11
DUNSTABLE
Reviewed 12 May 2011

The small touches at the Athenaeum make this hotel stand out.
From the free mini bar to the attentive but inobtrusive service it is a genuine 5 star hotel.
We had an apartment in one of the georgian houses adjacent to the hotel,It was immaculate and very well equiped.
We liked being on a side street rather than being in the main hotel, it felt like our own private Mayfair residence.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank ONYER
California
Reviewed 8 May 2011

I am pretty hard to please, and a simple look at my other reviews will show this :-) So when I tell you that the Athenaeum is one of, if not THE best 5 stars in London, you can believe it. Sevice is beyond great, with no detail neglected. The rooms are very, very nice, and spotlessly clean. No, there is not the grandeur of the Ritz, which is amost across the street, but then you're not paying £600 a night. And compared to other London 5 stars, some of which are pretty bad, this hotel stands out as the best of the best.

It's not a "grand" hotel in that there is not a huge lobby area. The lobby is modest in size, though cozy and classy. If the service weren't so spectacular, you could probably just think of this as another good hotel.

But a hotel is not just a building. A hotel IS service...and the people who work there. And even the Ritz (which I love) struggles to match the Aethaeneum in the service department. Just go....you won't be sorry.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple