I stayed at the Athenaeum a few years ago and didn't give it top marks. In the meantime I have visted a couple of times for lunch/afternoon tea, all of which were very good, and decided to stay again in May for my 30th bday.
My wife originally booked the Savoy (for £495 per night room only) and I cancelled the booking and chose the Athenaeum instead - I'm glad I did.
The hotel was on top form, and having been refurbished a year or to ago everything is modern and in tip top condition. I really don't have any adverse comments, so I will list the postives:
Check in - asked for an early one and got it. The receptionist was very friendly.
The room was wonderful and very quiet (a superior room on the 7th floor). The furniture and furnishings were top quality and overall room design was excellent. Very comfy bed (including a pillow menu), plenty of space (although bathroom small) and a decent size flat screen with plenty of channels.
A very WELCOME DEPATURE FROM THE NORMAL HOTEL RIP OFF is that most items in the minibar are complimentary. Alcohol aside, water, fruit juices, fizzy drinks, crisps, chocolates, nuts, granola bars etc are free AND replenished everyday. It is so nice for a hotel not to rip its customers off. There was also a Nespresso machine complimentary.
Wifi is also complimentary - which is very RARE in other London 5 star hotels.
We dined in the restaurant on Friday evening and the food, bread, service, amouse bouches etc were excellent. We dined on a set menu for less than £30 per head - excellent value for money. (BTW, the next evening we dined at a Michelin star restaurant, Seven Park Place, which cost £250+ and was not as good as the Athenaeum).
The breakfast each morning was really very good. It had an amazing selection of top quality food, including fresh honey comb, and unusual items like creme brulee and smoothies. Breakfast was included in our rate, but if it wasn't I would have paid the £27pp becuase it was so good.
The bar is very romantic, and our cocktails were served with complimentary nuts and (to die for) olives.
All staff, especially the English doormen were excellent.
Thank you Athenaeum for a wonderful stay - I will be back!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- By the Royal Parks Intimate and sophisticated, the fabulous 5-star Athenaeum is your home-away-from-home in Mayfair, central London. You're opposite Royal Parks and Buckingham Palace, just down the road from national museums and galleries, and close to world-renowned shops and theatres. Michelin-starred chefs For eating and drinking, there's afternoon tea (voted "Best in London 2012"), an restaurant run by Michelin-starred chefs, and a fine bar - home to a large collection of whiskies and signature cocktails. For a little "me-time", our spa offers relaxing treatments, relaxation room, wet area and a well-equipped fitness room. Free WiFi, iPod(R) docks All guestrooms are spacious with modern decor and premium bedding. You can catch a game on the plasma TV, stream tunes through the iPod(R) dock, and browse the Web with free WiFi, all while sipping an espresso coffee. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, Ebookers, Odigeo, Priceline, Traveltool, S.L.U., TripOnline SA, Hotel.de, HotelsClick, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly and Cancelon so you can book your The Athenaeum Hotel & Residences reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Athenaeum Hotel And Apartments
- Athenaeum Hotel Apartments